(Topic ID: 11189)

Alvin G Mystery Castle Rev 3 Roms Now Available!

By Betelgeuse

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Betelgeuse.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 12 years ago

For the first time ever the almost mythical, rare Revision 3 Roms are available for download! Thanks to the hard work of some dedicated pinball enthusiasts ('ssbodyman' Steve Schmidt & David Gersic), owners of this title can finally see what they have been missing all these years. Note that for some reason I have so far been unable to my game to work correctly with the new display roms. Hopefully some other collectors will have better luck or can provide some insight. The new roms DO work in Pinmame. We believe that you need the CPU Rom, the 3 display Roms and the Sound 102 rom to fully upgrade the game, but all the sound roms are included. "Good
luck... You'll need it!"

The Alvin G Resource
http://www.tristatechapter.com/arcade/alving/alving.html

#5 12 years ago

No prank. Don't worry, you will eventually find a Mystery Castle. Something's gotta give sooner or later, but it may take some time. Maybe we'll have these roms working by then.

1 week later
#9 12 years ago

Ok, for some reason I was able to get the Rom's working today! I don't think I did anything special, but for some reason the stars were aligned when I re-installed them today and they worked. The only thing of note this time around was I had the Rev 2 sound rom installed, but I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it and I'm not touching a damn thing. Here are some of the software differences I've found in the first few test games...

Display Additions:
Dancing Skeletons in Doom Mode
Gargoyle taunting you for Tilt & Warning
Rat being crushed by rock for Boulder Bonus
Hunter 1-4 Displayed at beginning of players ball
FREEPLAY animation in attract mode
PUSH START animation in attract mode
Close up of painting with moving eyes in PAINTING mode.
MEGAMODE animation at start of JESTER multiball.
New series of wizard mode displays...

Gameplay Changes:
Mode/Multiball Stacking - not sure if this was a fluke, but I was able
to start Mystery Multiball during Potion Round. This had never
happened before.
Wizard Mode - Must now be started from the lock and is completely
different, it's also now a MULTIBALL mode! It plays out like LITZ
where everything is maxed/lit and major shots seem to all be worth 100
million.

#13 12 years ago

Before the upgrade the crown would be a regular item shot. The ball wouldn't lock anywhere, gameplay would just continue (1 ball in play) and major shots were lit for a random point award. The dmd would just display ???? when you made each shot.

Not nearly as cool as the Rev 3 multiball. It holds the ball while the dmd displays all the scoring enhancements. There's also a 15 second ball saver. I realized that the 100million is a traveling shot like the super jackpot on AFM.

#15 12 years ago

Actually I do get the "100 million" callout as it was used for the Doom multiball super jackpot too. Special is Lit was always there too. I actually did end up going and putting the Rev 3 sound rom in, I figured what the heck. Everything is still working perfectly. However, I'm not sure I like the Rev 3 sound rom... I may switch back. The drop target sound isn't as good and I don't like the symbol crash at the end of the modes. The only other difference I have seen so far is the extended sound for the pit kickout.

#16 12 years ago

I made a little video of the game with the new roms. I made it to the wizard mode with doom running and got a few 200mil super jackpots. sweet.

4 months later
#18 11 years ago
Quoted from system11:

Finally got around to installing a set today, I did have to use the alternate display U4 to get them working. I still can't play my machine properly as it needs restoring and clearing but I put a few balls through and immediately saw new things, it's far better.

Glad you were able to get it working! I have found quite a few additional improvements over the months since I installed the roms. There's some neat mode/multiball stacking and I've found that some of the music is different. The enhanced doom mode music is amazing and you can even check it out in the test menu. I know you are always talking down on the condition of your MC, what is wrong with it?

4 years later
#22 7 years ago

I believe John Wart Jr would still have the roms available if you contact him...

http://www.thatpinballplace.com/eproms/index.htm

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
St Charles, IL
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Betelgeuse.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/alvin-g-mystery-castle-rev-3-roms-now-available?tu=Betelgeuse and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.