(Topic ID: 11189)

Alvin G Mystery Castle Rev 3 Roms Now Available!

By Betelgeuse

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 12 years ago

For the first time ever the almost mythical, rare Revision 3 Roms are available for download! Thanks to the hard work of some dedicated pinball enthusiasts ('ssbodyman' Steve Schmidt & David Gersic), owners of this title can finally see what they have been missing all these years. Note that for some reason I have so far been unable to my game to work correctly with the new display roms. Hopefully some other collectors will have better luck or can provide some insight. The new roms DO work in Pinmame. We believe that you need the CPU Rom, the 3 display Roms and the Sound 102 rom to fully upgrade the game, but all the sound roms are included. "Good
luck... You'll need it!"

The Alvin G Resource
http://www.tristatechapter.com/arcade/alving/alving.html

#2 12 years ago

This must be some sort of evil prank directed towards Robertmee.

#3 12 years ago

Yeah how 'bout it .... That and the busted MC playfield on Ebay...I guess I can start putting one together in parts

#4 12 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

Yeah how 'bout it .... That and the busted MC playfield on Ebay...I guess I can start putting one together in parts

The playfield looks OK, just the box is in bad shape

#5 12 years ago

No prank. Don't worry, you will eventually find a Mystery Castle. Something's gotta give sooner or later, but it may take some time. Maybe we'll have these roms working by then.

#6 12 years ago

where do i find that rom for pinmame?

#7 12 years ago
Quoted from JesseB:

robertmee said:Yeah how 'bout it .... That and the busted MC playfield on Ebay...I guess I can start putting one together in parts
The playfield looks OK, just the box is in bad shape

Look again...The shooter lane is cracked in half. I didn't see it at first, either...A much wiser MC lover on pinside pointed it out to me

#8 12 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

Look again...The shooter lane is cracked in half. I didn't see it at first, either...A much wiser MC lover on pinside pointed it out to me

Yes, I saw that too. I can't believe Mike didn't point that out in the details. What really sucks is that I've emailed Mike many times in the last few years looking for a MC playfield and he could never find one for me. He's got thousands of square feet of stuff that he's always going through, so I check in from time to time....and of course now that he does find one, it's on eBay. I guess he forgot about contacting me when he found one.

Anyway, like Brian was saying, you'll find a MC eventually. It took me a couple years to find mine, and some of my more rare games took 5+ years to locate. Don't give up!

Matt

1 week later
#9 12 years ago

Ok, for some reason I was able to get the Rom's working today! I don't think I did anything special, but for some reason the stars were aligned when I re-installed them today and they worked. The only thing of note this time around was I had the Rev 2 sound rom installed, but I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it and I'm not touching a damn thing. Here are some of the software differences I've found in the first few test games...

Display Additions:
Dancing Skeletons in Doom Mode
Gargoyle taunting you for Tilt & Warning
Rat being crushed by rock for Boulder Bonus
Hunter 1-4 Displayed at beginning of players ball
FREEPLAY animation in attract mode
PUSH START animation in attract mode
Close up of painting with moving eyes in PAINTING mode.
MEGAMODE animation at start of JESTER multiball.
New series of wizard mode displays...

Gameplay Changes:
Mode/Multiball Stacking - not sure if this was a fluke, but I was able
to start Mystery Multiball during Potion Round. This had never
happened before.
Wizard Mode - Must now be started from the lock and is completely
different, it's also now a MULTIBALL mode! It plays out like LITZ
where everything is maxed/lit and major shots seem to all be worth 100
million.

#10 12 years ago

Glad to hear you finally got them to work

Quoted from Betelgeuse:Here are some of the software differences I've found in the first few test games...

Quoted from Betelgeuse:

Wizard Mode - Must now be started from the lock and is completely
different, it's also now a MULTIBALL mode! It plays out like LITZ
where everything is maxed/lit and major shots seem to all be worth 100
million.

Man I haven't gotten to the wizard mode yet, but I came damn close Saturday night so hopefully Ill get there soon.

#11 12 years ago

Congrats, Brian! I'm glad you can now see a lot of the stuff in MC that I've taken for granted over the years.

I didn't know that crown mode wasn't a multiball mode for you before....and how did you start crown, previously? I can't imagine it starting any other way than the secret door. Very interesting....

#12 12 years ago

As a follow up to my own question, I'm going to guess that as soon as you collected everything else it just immediately went to crown? Am I correct?

It's a great feeling to nail a bunch of shots in crown and hear him yell "100 million!!!" over and over. Have fun with it! I think I'll go play a game on mine too.

#13 12 years ago

Before the upgrade the crown would be a regular item shot. The ball wouldn't lock anywhere, gameplay would just continue (1 ball in play) and major shots were lit for a random point award. The dmd would just display ???? when you made each shot.

Not nearly as cool as the Rev 3 multiball. It holds the ball while the dmd displays all the scoring enhancements. There's also a 15 second ball saver. I realized that the 100million is a traveling shot like the super jackpot on AFM.

#14 12 years ago

Ah, interesting. Crown is indeed super enjoyable with revision 3. I can't imagine it any other way. The sounds are great too.

So, I wonder what else you're missing by having the Rev. 2 sound ROMs in there still. You must not be able to hear the "100 million" call out, for example, as you said the jackpot wasn't worth that much in Rev. 2.... How about the "Special is lit" during crown?

I know you said you don't want to tinker with things anymore, but if you still want to mail me the sound ROMs, I can check them out in my machine.

We need to give you the full effect of MC!

#15 12 years ago

Actually I do get the "100 million" callout as it was used for the Doom multiball super jackpot too. Special is Lit was always there too. I actually did end up going and putting the Rev 3 sound rom in, I figured what the heck. Everything is still working perfectly. However, I'm not sure I like the Rev 3 sound rom... I may switch back. The drop target sound isn't as good and I don't like the symbol crash at the end of the modes. The only other difference I have seen so far is the extended sound for the pit kickout.

#16 12 years ago

I made a little video of the game with the new roms. I made it to the wizard mode with doom running and got a few 200mil super jackpots. sweet.

3 months later
#17 11 years ago

Finally got around to installing a set today, I did have to use the alternate display U4 to get them working. I still can't play my machine properly as it needs restoring and clearing but I put a few balls through and immediately saw new things, it's far better.

1 week later
#18 11 years ago
Quoted from system11:

Finally got around to installing a set today, I did have to use the alternate display U4 to get them working. I still can't play my machine properly as it needs restoring and clearing but I put a few balls through and immediately saw new things, it's far better.

Glad you were able to get it working! I have found quite a few additional improvements over the months since I installed the roms. There's some neat mode/multiball stacking and I've found that some of the music is different. The enhanced doom mode music is amazing and you can even check it out in the test menu. I know you are always talking down on the condition of your MC, what is wrong with it?

2 months later
#19 11 years ago

It looks like it was played a lot and never cleaned, then eventually when someone decided to sort it out they went crazy with a machine polisher. The art is mostly intact bar some edge insert wear, but you can see the paint is VERY thin. Also several small chips here and there, minipost below the upper flipper had bent over and ripped the wood up, so someone has replaced it with a yellow star post.

Luckily I now have a NOS playfield (and backglass and ramps). It has some odd dark speckling in the clear (may be a factory reject spare) which is most visible on the whites, but it's much nicer overall. I'm now actually playing my machine because I'm not worried about wearing the worn playfield given that there's a box next to it with a brand new one Not sure how to successfully transfer the decals from the old main ramp to the new.

Anyway, now that I've played it a bit, the old ROMs feel like half a game, it's so much better - you can tell this code was the finished product.

1 month later
#20 11 years ago

So a visitor achieved crown mode on my machine a week or two ago and we discovered what might be a bug. Just as/after crown was activated, he sent both balls into the scoop.

They never came out. Game just sat there until we turned it off, didn't even try going into ball search which would have kicked them out. Turned it back on and out they popped.

3 years later
#21 7 years ago

Does anyone have any of these for sale? I also am having a flasher bulb issue in the back glass. For some reason "of doom" never illuminates. Anyone else have this problem or have and suggestions?

3 weeks later
#22 7 years ago

I believe John Wart Jr would still have the roms available if you contact him...

http://www.thatpinballplace.com/eproms/index.htm

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
St Charles, IL
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/alvin-g-mystery-castle-rev-3-roms-now-available and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.