Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

liquigrip-s_(resized).jpg
#1 11 years ago

i just got a World Tour (alvin G), and the motor and CD spinner work great.. BUTTTTTT i was looking for ideas on replacement of the covering on the disk... mine is worn to the point of just a slick surface. There is no real color left to it unfortunately. Looking to see if anyone has any replacement adhesive circle disk pieces? YEAH RIGHT!?

Or if anyone else has repair /redone one of these with a thin adhesive piece of whatever. What it has to be is pretty damn thin, sticky adhesive backed label and have a grippy surface. Almost like rubbery grip tape.

At this point my CD spinner works great and all but the ball hits it and just slides down like a metal ramp..... the idea is for it to kick around in there and score points and hit targets (randomly) - kind of sucks right now! HA

thanks for any and all help
- i am on the group randomly and if you can directly reply to me that is appreciated.

Kenny

#2 11 years ago

I have a friend that owns this (and had a horribly worn sticker). You CAN buy a replacement:
http://bayareaamusements.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=DC-WTOUR-SPIN

I believe it's 3 screws in the center. Get a blade underneath, and slowly peel it away. Clean it up real good with goo gone, then apply new sticker

#3 11 years ago

thanks for the lead.

beyond the sticker,,,,,,, does anyone have any flipper parts/assemblies, (parts or complete), also the back strip of relective plastic (call it a mirror if you will) on the playfield on mine is cracked... any one have one? Lastly.. drum roll please.... Looking for a topper?!!

#4 11 years ago

The toppers appear all the time on Ebay. Pinball parts Australia has Alvin G flipper bushings and the plunger/link as well. Hope this helps~SpOoKy

#5 11 years ago

Nope, you won't find those flipper parts anywhere, unfortunately. Pinball Spare Parts Australia advertises having the plunger and link, but it's not the right part. I have never caught wind of these rebuild parts surfacing anywhere.

-Brian

#6 11 years ago

Brian then if not Alvin G. Parts what are they? Didn't this guy buy the stock of Alvin G. from Gene cunningham? Ya know. Mike Gottlueb is still around, someone needs to step up and produce parts. If Anyone is reading this, im 100% sure mike would sign off on ANY repo parts!~ SpOoKy

#7 11 years ago
Quoted from SpOoKyRiDeS:

The toppers appear all the time on Ebay. Pinball parts Australia has Alvin G flipper bushings and the plunger/link as well. Hope this helps~Spooky

Quoted from Betelgeuse:

Nope, you won't find those flipper parts anywhere, unfortunately. Pinball Spare Parts Australia advertises having the plunger and link, but it's not the right part. I have never caught wind of these rebuild parts surfacing anywhere.

-Brian

Quoted from SpOoKyRiDeS:

Brian then if not Alvin G. Parts what are they? Didn't this guy buy the stock of Alvin G. from Gene cunningham? Ya know. Mike Gottlueb is still around, someone needs to step up and produce parts. If Anyone is reading this, im 100% sure mike would sign off on ANY repo parts!~ Spooky

Bret,

What Brian was referring to was a mislabeled plunger/link that Mark had on his site for a while. I had him correct this, so it now has a part number (LAP-002), and it doesn't refer to them as flipper plungers anymore. LAP-002's are slingshot/kicker arm plungers, not flipper plungers.

And yes, Mark bought all of Gene's Alvin G stuff (along with the Capcom & Willams stuff), but I'd say that 80% of the Alvin G stuff still hasn't been sorted/listed on his site yet. Mark told me not too long ago that he hired another guy to start going through things and get them listed. When he finally does, there will be flipper pawls and probably flipper plungers too. I saw/bought a lot of this stuff at the big IPB sale just before everything headed to Australia. The parts supply will get better soon!

Post edited by MattElder : Typos

#8 11 years ago

Nice! Plus one Matt! Thanks for the explanation!

#9 11 years ago
Quoted from pinnaf:

thanks for the lead.

beyond the sticker,,,,,,, does anyone have any flipper parts/assemblies, (parts or complete), also the back strip of relective plastic (call it a mirror if you will) on the playfield on mine is cracked... any one have one? Lastly.. drum roll please.... Looking for a topper?!!

I've got a spare topper here that I'd probably sell. Let me dig it out and get back to you. I'm fairly certain that it's got a couple small cracks and minor scratches, but nothing too bad...and certainly better than not having one at all.

Regarding that rear mirrored piece...yes, it's plastic mirror material. You can buy the stuff online and cut your own. It's an extremely obscure part that's otherwise unavailable unless someone just happened to part out a machine.

#10 11 years ago

mattelder, I'd buy that topper if he does not want it.
Bob

3 years later
#11 7 years ago

A permanent solution to the CD player "wearing" problem, read below.

The decal inking used was poor quality, and actually "flakes", unfortunate like the cabinets, if you are not careful.
Currently, these have not been reproduced and sold out around 2 years ago.
A few show up on Ebay once in a while.
I may decide to take a few of my NOS ones, scan, and have them professionally made with rubberized adhesive matting.
The game is now 24 years old, which should be considered here.

Old Restoration Tip:

One of the common "wear" parts is the spinning CD player rubberized decal similar to Whirlwind. The decal color easily rubs off and "flakes" leaving residue on the playfield. The decals have currently not been reproduced, and can be difficult to find. The games left today, sometime do not even have a decal on the spinner!

DO NOT USE mylar, as this defeats the grip of the decal, and if you ever remove the mylar, the paint is gone.

If you want to keep your decal looking "factory fresh", use paint on "LiquidGrip" which is a rubberized clear coat sealer. This is NOT a roof sealant or hand chalk!
It is designed for things such as handrails, and comes in as small quantities as 8 ounces.

http://www.gripcote.com/liquigrip.html

Brush this product on the decal, and the color and detail will be highly resistant to removal, and provide extra "tackiness" to the decal at the same time giving the ball extra spin and zip. It is completely transparent when dry. Two coats with a 2-3 hour drying time between applications.

If you decal has already been worn off, but you can still see the outlines, you can bring the decal back to life using enamel paint pens (not acrylic paint) and careful free hand work. Then complete the above process.

liquigrip-s_(resized).jpgliquigrip-s_(resized).jpg

#12 7 years ago

I have disc cover 10.00 shipped nos

#13 7 years ago
Quoted from mikepin:

I have disc cover 10.00 shipped nos

Mike,

I probably could buy a few more, call me "Mr. Paranoid" on this game. Probably why I bought an extra NOS wired playfield + boardset when I purchased my game years ago as overstock. I will shoot you a PM.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/alvin-g-garage-band-pinball-spinning-disc-question and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.