Alvin g williams flippers installed (resized).JPG
Alvin g williams right flipper light socket (resized).JPG
Alvin g williams right flipper (resized).JPG
Alvin g to Williams flipper centering (resized).JPG
Alvin g left flipper unit removed (resized).JPG
Alvin g flipper coil (resized).JPG
Alvin g flipper link (resized).JPG

#1 5 months ago

Just got an Alvin G and Company "Pistol Poker" in for rebuilding. The flipper units and slingshots on the main playfield were pretty worn and had parts missing. Found out most of the parts for these assemblies are No Longer Available. So, I did some measuring and test fitting and found Williams System 11 flipper assemblies and modern Stern slingshot assemblies will fit and work fine in Alvin G machines and in particular, Pistol Poker. The Alvin G flipper assembly is an "odd duck" and uses weird sizes of flipper bushings, flipper shaft/bat, a strange flipper pawl, and goofy plunger/link. So, the owner decided to replace the two main flipper assemblies with complete Williams ones and the slingshots with complete modern Stern ones. I built new Williams assemblies from seperate Williams flipper parts we normally stock. I reused the original Alvin G flipper coil in the new Williams flipper assemblies. To center the flipper bushing of the new Williams flipper assembly in the playfield hole, I used a 7/16" socket slipped over the Williams nylon flipper bushing. Then I had someone hold the assembly in place while I marked all the mounting holes for the flipper baseplate.

Alvin g flipper assembly (resized).JPGAlvin g flipper coil (resized).JPGAlvin g flipper link (resized).JPGAlvin g flipper unit (resized).JPGAlvin g flipper unit minus coil (resized).JPGAlvin g left flipper unit removed (resized).JPGAlvin g to Williams flipper centering (resized).JPG
#2 5 months ago

Thank you for posting this Ken !

LTG : )

#3 5 months ago

Once the mounting holes were marked on the playfield, I spotted them with a center punch. Then with a 3/32" drill bit, I drilled the spotted holes to a depth of a 1/4" and mounted the baseplates with #6 x 1/2" long phillips pan head tapping screws. One thing to watch for when mounting the right flipper assembly, make sure you don't mount the baseplate against a light socket. On a Pistol Poker, there is plenty of room to mount Williams flipper assemblies.

Alvin g williams flippers installed (resized).JPGAlvin g williams right flipper (resized).JPGAlvin g williams right flipper light socket (resized).JPGPistol Poker williams flippers installed (resized).JPG

#4 5 months ago

Now for the slingshot assemblies. It is preferable to use Data East/Sega/Stern complete slingshot assembly # 500-5226-00, but # 500-5849-01 or 500-5849-00 will also work here. You will be taking out the Stern coil that comes with the assembly and reusing the Alvin G coil in it instead. Once you've removed the old Alvin G slingshot assembly, you'll need a helper to hold the new assembly in place and line up the switches while you mark the three new mounting hole locations on the playfield. Then you can spot the marked locations with a center punch and drill 3/32" holes down to a depth of a 1/4". Now you can mount the new assemblies using #6 by 1/2" long phillips head tapping screws.

Now the game will play really well with snappy, solid feeling flippers and slingshots. Another "plus" is that parts for the Williams flipper assemblies and Stern slingshot assemblies are readily available and frequently on sale!

Alvin g stern left sling onstalled (resized).JPGAlvin g stern slingshot (resized).JPGAlvin g williams flippers stern slings installed (resized).JPG
#5 5 months ago

While I was working on this Pistol Poker, I decided to clean up the outhole kicker and ball trough assembly. A good polishing of the metal parts with SimiChrome metal polish shined it up very nicely.

By the way, the outhole kicker assembly can be replaced by a Williams assembly and the original Alvin G outhole kicker can use Williams parts to repair it!

Pistol Poker outhole kicker (resized).JPGPistol Poker outhole multiball polished (resized).JPGPistol Poker outhole polished (resized).JPGPistol Poker outhole shined up (resized).JPG

#6 5 months ago

Ken, you might want to replace the coil mounting bracket you used with the slotted ones that are supposed to be used with the tapered springs to keep them centered?

img_9332_mop (resized).png
#7 5 months ago

I didn't have any of those brackets at the time (we don't normally stock that one). The machine is already out of the shop and on location now.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside