IMG_20210402_131342 (resized).jpg
IMG_1720 (resized).JPG
IMG_1724 (resized).JPG
23A2D617-C33C-40FB-8E4C-958122A6933C (resized).jpeg
85B89E09-A803-44C8-93E2-DCD21EC9145A (resized).jpeg
ff413920af58a4af69b06f651de4d36b41ca0e7d (resized).jpg
DSCF1100 (resized).JPG
7a4091881 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider goatdan.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#14 7 years ago

To be fair to Williams, they didn't undercut the production of MM by thousands of orders, they only made exactly what was ordered. This was a big deal because before MM, they would run the line on whatever game was next and a lot of distributors and purchasers would wait to buy because they knew Williams would need to give heavy discounts to blow out the inventory that wasn't selling in the near future.

MM was seen as a big hit and had relatively strong distribution orders. Williams surprised everyone by filling those orders and then saying the game was done, leaving money on the table with the thought that distributors would go back to buying more to ensure they got filled after that point.

Instead, distributors just bought less and less.

It wasn't a good relationship for either side and Williams thought they could do something by withholding production. It didn't work.

Stern figured out how to navigate this year's later by being able to do really short runs of games. I was in the factory once where there were three different games on the line at the same time. By being able to do that, Stern isn't stuck manufacturing either far too many and needing to blow them out, or far too few and leaving the buyers wishing for more.

To bring this back to Alvin G slightly, Alvin G was unable to do this too, which resulted in the low runs that they did for each of their machines, followed by those machines needing to be blown out at heavy discounts.

#16 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Years ago there were tons of HUO Pistol Pokers around that nobody wanted, for around $1500. That seems to have dried up but regardless you certainly don't see these games much being traded, or at shows. I passed up many Al's Garage band games for under $700.

Yup, due to the combination of a lack of distribution and no one knowing how the games were going to do on location, a bunch of them got blown out in the end. I somewhat regret not buying Al's Garage Band broken at an auction for $400 still as it is the only production "standard" Alvin G game that I don't own. From what I heard, around the time they closed, distributors were offered many of their titles new in box for around $1k.

2 weeks later
#28 7 years ago

Love the plastic protector thought, hope someone does it for their other games!

2 years later
#232 5 years ago

Can anyone tell me the size of the bolts for the topper on an Alvin G Soccer Ball? I finally have it set up in a tall enough basement, and I don't seem to have any bolts.

#234 5 years ago

Yes, those eight!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Schaumburg, IL
Machine - For Sale
Tehachapi, CA
2,650 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Girard, OH
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
3,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Middleburg, FL
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider goatdan.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/alvin-g-and-co-a-tribute-to-the-gottlieb-name?tu=goatdan and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.