IMG_20210402_131342 (resized).jpg
IMG_1720 (resized).JPG
IMG_1724 (resized).JPG
23A2D617-C33C-40FB-8E4C-958122A6933C (resized).jpeg
85B89E09-A803-44C8-93E2-DCD21EC9145A (resized).jpeg
ff413920af58a4af69b06f651de4d36b41ca0e7d (resized).jpg
DSCF1100 (resized).JPG
7a4091881 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dung.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#79 7 years ago
Quoted from jmountjoy111:

I found these plungers going through some parts I had. I know they are Alvin G. Do any of you have any more information. Are they flippers or something else?

Not flippers, at least not like the ones I have. Possibly slingshot or for some other mech? Then again maybe I do not have any original flipper plungers/links?

Speaking of flippers does anyone have any idea on what to use in lieu of original flipper bats? I need 3 for my mystery castle.

1 month later
#83 7 years ago

Just wanted to let people know, you cannot use a stern led dmd in Alvin G's. I have tested it in Pistol Poker and Mystery Castle. When a large amount of the display is used dots will randomly blink on and off. I tried playing a game and quickly it did a full reset. It appears the 5v line is too stressed by this display.

#84 7 years ago

Does anyone else get a loud hum from their woofer? I do not get it on pistol poker or AGBGOWT. Mystery castle almost sounds like a data east though.

I swapped sound boards between games. The hum does not follow the board. I noticed that the plug for the speaker wires was tarnished so I replaced it with an idc.

Any ideas what else to look at? I am tempted to try swapping speakers in case the woofer is somehow damaged.

1 month later
#88 7 years ago
Quoted from HighVoltage:

Any luck on the hum?
I just picked up a Mystery Castle and don't have any woofer hum. Definitely worth trying to eliminate problem areas / swapping woofer. I don't remember right now if the boards mount to metal backing like Williams, but if that's the case, you can also try "floating" the board. That is, removing electrical/ground contact with the mounting, by using nylon washers / screws. That might eliminate grounding problem that can cause hum.

Actually yes. My MC started resetting the other day. The 5 volt line would start out at 5.4 volts when you turned it on and then over time would steadily drop over a period of 15-20 mins to the point that the game would instantly reset. Pulled the board, swapped in the one from my pistol poker, hum gone. Since it is a simple board and I have a desoldering gun my plan is to shotgun it, 75 percent are caps anyways.

Also, I think I need to learn to say no.

20170319_085557 (resized).jpg20170319_085557 (resized).jpg

#91 7 years ago
Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

On a separate question is why the previous owner sold his MC game.
I am a bit concerned now, as it did not make sense.
There are only two MCs in the PNW (not counting CA), and I know who this game belonged to because I introduced him to pinball in 2002.
As far as the front speaker hum, the owner can PM me, if they need troubleshooting help.
Usually, I can diagnose it with a quick phone call.
BTW, you should see the links to files in your PinSide inbox today or tomorrow.
One of the posters, I did for the former MC owner.

Any word on the al's spinning disk decals?

4 months later
#102 6 years ago
Quoted from MattElder:

Thank you very much, Dennis! It's been a blast tracking this stuff (and former employees) down all these years, and I do hope it helps many people for years to come.

Very jealous of the head to head games. Also have to admire the dedication. Fixing up mine has been an eye opener for dealing with lack of parts.

10 months later
#213 5 years ago

Agreed demand for most boards will probably remain low. I have 3-4 of almost every board they ever made. They don't work, but I could always send them in for repair if needed. I plan on pairing down my machines and maybe letting pistol, punchy and maybe al's go so dunno what to do with all the extras.

2 weeks later
#217 5 years ago

That is in really great shape, congrats!

Word of the wise, do not clean the cabinet with anything wet. The paint will run/come off if you do.

1 month later
#224 5 years ago

Does anyone have detailed pictures of Dinosaur Eggs? I picked one up over the weekend. The handles to move the playfield are not attached to anything currently. It looks like there was post rubber tying them to the playfield at one point, but I do not know if it is correct or what size is needed.

1 month later
#225 5 years ago

Finally found some!

IMG_20181019_171203903 (resized).jpgIMG_20181019_171203903 (resized).jpg
#227 5 years ago
Quoted from ajfclark:

Pinball Spare Parts Australia just posted a bunch on their facebook page.

Will try and snag some more then, did not know they posted on facebook thanks! Drat, they posted 10 flipper bats, pretty sure six of mine are from their ebay page as I got a lot of the coils/plungers in their facebook picture.

#231 5 years ago
Quoted from Damonator:

No - sorry, just a recycled box. They came from another Pinsider, but probably PSPA (Australia) before that if I had to guess.

Sweet score!

#233 5 years ago

Which bolts? The bolts that hold the bracket to the cab?

5 months later
#239 5 years ago

Shopping out my usa football. Does anyone know the list of rubbers needed? Would be the same as a ag football and ag soccer ball.

1 week later
#241 4 years ago

Is it tech a backglass? Its not a translite that is for sure.

9 months later
#256 4 years ago

Anyone with one of the head to head games ever run into an issue with the gate not working?

Red Gate Coil 12 does not work. This goes back to HP6 q32 on the cpu board. Board works fine in mystery castle for that mosfet, so its not the board. The coil has power. The wire brn/yl back to the cpu board for the mosfet has continuity. The power wire goes back to the powersupply board and has continuity. The two other coils (blue gate and gi relay) work and have continuity to the red gate.

My last guess is the coil itself has gone bad? I tried grounding the tab on the mosfet and it fails to fire the coil. Figure next step is to swap coils between gates and see if the problem follows the coil.

11 months later
#279 3 years ago

So you are crazy enough to overpay for the 8k one on here right now? Matt Elder can point out the proto differences. In the case of mystery castle do not see it adding much value. Blue spot targets are wrong, they should be clear and the size is different. Paint on the cab is cracked. Yellow spot is cracked badly. The spare drops are nice as they fail often. Its a fun game (one of my favorites), but 8k is awful.

#296 3 years ago

Guys, production cabs were sometimes al's cabinets that were repainted, not a sign its a proto. I have one that was resprayed and its not a proto.

#299 3 years ago
Quoted from Fenix15:

Thanks for the info, Matt! It's actually both a bummer and a relief to hear that protos don't exist anymore. Still, to have such an early game (and one that has the lowest serial number in the database so far!) is like winning the lottery. For all intents and purposes, I will just assume my game is either 5 or 6 in the production run and leave it at that. Really, really cool!!!!

Not sure I see how it is winning the lottery? It is interesting, but typically early prod vs late prod doesn't matter unless there are major differences that get removed. B/W games are great examples of this since protos and samples often have major features that got cut for production.

Other games like say Full throttle where early games have wood around the window instead of artwork, its just sort of neat.

On the upside at least early MC games run later code. If it were an al's it would be worth less because you are stuck on earlier incomplete code. Games like that it tends to hurt the value as people tend to want the full code. Had an early cosmic carnival like that which was stuck on early barebones code.

#301 3 years ago
Quoted from Fenix15:

It IS like winning the lottery, at least for me: what are the odds I would get my hands on the lowest known serial number for any game, let alone a rare one that doesn't pop up on the market often? Also, if my machine has the artwork errors (the blank banners on the playfield, for example), that further adds to the cool factor.

Good for you I suppose?

I guess I see it differently. If you are willing to throw an obscene amount of money at something, eventually you will get it. If you had gotten a sweet deal on it, then I could see the lottery aspect.

#309 3 years ago
Quoted from ajfclark:

There's some spares available from pinballspareparts.com.au.
Bats: https://www.pinballspareparts.com.au/ag-flipperbaty.html
Cranks/pawls:
https://www.pinballspareparts.com.au/agflipper.html
https://www.pinballspareparts.com.au/agflipper1.html
Bushing: https://www.pinballspareparts.com.au/fsb-001.html
And more: https://www.pinballspareparts.com.au/catalogsearch/result/?q=alvin+g
However, I've never found anything that works to replace the flipper links, nor the bushing between the link and the crank/pawl. I only have an early production Al's to go off.
Has anyone found a combination that works to replace the plunger and link and/or the bushing?

So on mine I took I think a late 90s bw link and ground it down. The holes line up, but the alvin g is much thinner. Has worked for years without issue.

1 month later
#330 3 years ago
Quoted from TomDK:

Very nice, expect the LED stuff. I can not understand what people like on LED in old machines.
Maybe I am an old boring man ....
But ... welcome to the club.
EDIT: MC were all made for USA as far as I know.

I prefer leds in my alvin g's. If nothing else it keeps the gi traces from burning off the board (have had two games where that happened)

#335 3 years ago

Id be all over mystery castle ramps. Als doesnt seem to break ramps. I have a nos pp ramp just in case i get pistol again.

#337 3 years ago
Quoted from The_Director:

Likewise, would definitely be in for MC ramps. Mine are in good shape, but I'm sweating it haha. Would be nice to have peace of mind with an extra set. Any chance anyone would ever run a new PETG set? I know the decal scans are out there.

Doubt it. No reason to do low production games when there are titles that can potentially sell a thousand plus.

2 months later
#347 2 years ago
Quoted from AD72:

I copy that. I posted another topic two weeks ago and got no response. I thought it was notable having #502 of 500 produced and learn some history of the boards made. Cheers.

Given that ag soccerball and ag football had 500 each made, use all the same parts minus the exterior artwork they most likely share serial numbers.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Martinez, GA
Machine - For Sale
Tehachapi, CA
Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
Machine - For Sale
St Charles, IL
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dung.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/alvin-g-and-co-a-tribute-to-the-gottlieb-name?tu=dung and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.