IMG_20210402_131342 (resized).jpg
IMG_1720 (resized).JPG
IMG_1724 (resized).JPG
23A2D617-C33C-40FB-8E4C-958122A6933C (resized).jpeg
85B89E09-A803-44C8-93E2-DCD21EC9145A (resized).jpeg
ff413920af58a4af69b06f651de4d36b41ca0e7d (resized).jpg
DSCF1100 (resized).JPG
7a4091881 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ajfclark.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#154 5 years ago

Well, I'm in the club. Found an Al's Garage Band Goes On A World Tour yesterday. Faded (all the red in the backglass is yellow), rough cabinet and CD spinner, topper has a small crack, but seems complete except the knocker.

First major issue is that the right flipper usually causes a reset. The launch button always causes a reset, but if I wait for the machine to time out and fire the launch coil itself, it works.

Second issue is that some of the DMD animations are garbled, but not all.

#156 5 years ago
Quoted from TomDK:

Congrats to this nice machine !
You have to work over the powerboard, that is a common fail. My MC also needs 15 minutes to "heat up" but no time to take care on the pcb.
The backglas: There are still NOS backglasses out, you will find a replacement !! Also the knockerunit is available in Australia or on ebay.com .

TBH, the backglass doesn't look that bad. The fade is super even so it almost looks like it's supposed to be that way:
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
The only damage seems to be a small pair of scratches where the latch is on the left.

I did notice PSPA had the knocker (and a guitar plastic if I'm keen) and I figured a PSU rebuild might be in order. A flipper rebuild is too, one of the pawls is super dooper sloppy. A couple of the wireforms are missing from the trough too - only the centre switch works so I suspect the game will get confused at some point.

Are there still NOS disk decals around?

And are those heads on the plastic to the left supposed to be on standups?

Would be good to get a photo of the Bump Button setup on the right flipper from someone. I had to remove the wireform because it kept fouling the autoplung plunger:

#159 5 years ago
Quoted from TomDK:

You have to work over the powerboard, that is a common fail.

Just the two caps noted in this post?

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/any-alvin-g-repair-guides-out-there#post-552177

Quoted from MattElder:

Lastly, I’ll try to get you a pic of the bump button setup when I get a chance.

Thanks. I had a look in the manual, and the wireform between the bump relay and the button is the same on both sides so I'm not sure why it fouls the autoplunge armature, but in the manual the flipper button is a microswitch, not a leaf? Is the manual inaccurate or has someone done something creative on my machine?

[edit: the version on ipdb is different to the manual I have. Hmmm... ]

#160 5 years ago
Quoted from Betelgeuse:

That's one of the downsides with these Alvin G games is that flipper rebuild parts are not available. You'll have to get creative and hack a repair or substitute B/W parts.

How close are they to the late Gottlieb flippers? Looking at the breakdown on PBR (http://www.pbresource.com/rebuildk/kt-gflip-04fa.jpg and http://www.pbresource.com/rebuildk/kt-gflip-05fa.jpg) and the manual, aside from the flippershaft being a single piece, the coil stop having 3 vs 2 holes and the bracket for the EOS they look very similar to me?

eg. an Alvin plate vs Gottlieb 29157:

#162 5 years ago
Quoted from MattElder:

They are indeed very similar, and in fact my Slapshot proto game used Gottlieb pawls with an odd mixture of Alvin G parts that they cobbled together in the early days of the company, but I have never actually tried to use the Gottlieb ones in a production machine. I am running super low on flipper parts here though, so the time is coming to try it out and see how smoothly it would go.

I have no Alvin flipper parts so I might get a Gottlieb rebuild kit and see what fits and what doesn't.

#163 5 years ago
Quoted from ajfclark:

[edit: the version on ipdb is different to the manual I have. Hmmm... ]

Here's the bump button diagram in my manual:
vs the ipdb version (which looks more like what's in my machine):

Ah, my cover is dated Nov 92, the ipdb version is dated Jan 93...

2 weeks later
#164 5 years ago

Any clues why the DMD sometimes draws the right image, but the quadrants are in the wrong places?
Screenshot from 2018-05-23 10-53-07 (resized).pngScreenshot from 2018-05-23 10-53-07 (resized).png

Is this extra chip on the DMD driver standard or something strange?

#168 5 years ago
Quoted from Drewscruis:

look closely, solder blob is holding the crystal to the board.

While I'm grabbing close ups:

#169 5 years ago
Quoted from MattElder:

As weird as it looks, those decals of the band members’ heads are supposed to be on that plastic. Your game is correct.

I notice in the manual that there's a solenoid listed to reset drop targets. Could it be that the 3 band member stand ups we originally drops?

Quoted from MattElder:

Lastly, I’ll try to get you a pic of the bump button setup when I get a chance.

I have managed to get this adjusted correctly so the right wire form no longer interferes with the auto plunge coil. The left is still weaker than the right but it's functioning.

#171 5 years ago
Quoted from MattElder:

Congrats on getting that adjusted. Sorry that I didn’t get that pic yet. I just haven’t had a chance to get to the museum and open anything up.
And as far as your question on the World Tour targets goes, yes, originally the game was designed with drops there, but that idea was scrapped before production started. Here’s a pic I posted of the proto a while back in this thread....

Awesome. I notice another difference in my manual, the "eject kicker"?

My manual (resized).pngMy manual (resized).png
ipdb manual (resized).pngipdb manual (resized).png

Looking at the coil locations on page 3-10, that's the kicker at the end of the videomode ramp? Is there a reason that's missing from the ipdb manual? It's certainly in my machine.

The coil matrix pages are also completely different in my manual. Is it worth scanning the whole thing?

#173 5 years ago
Quoted from MattElder:

The eject kicker is another feature that was cut out of the design, but the early production machines have it. My current World Tour has it, but the first 2 I owned did not. I actually like it better without it. Later games had that saucer removed and the ball went straight to the VUK. That other saucer was just an unnecessary “middle man”.

I noticed that it didn't seem to be there in the visual pinball version I found. It certainly feels a bit odd and half the time the ball doesn't sit in there anyway. A drop post would've made more sense I guess.

If my machine is early production (serial 2506), I wonder if that explains the odd U2 74LS74 job on the sound board.

Quoted from MattElder:

As far as scanning goes, I don’t remember how much changed in manual revisions, but it certainly couldn’t hurt to scan everything.

I'll get onto that at some stage.

#175 5 years ago
Quoted from MattElder:

No, that is just someone’s hack. Grab a new sound board if the repair isn’t worth it. The sound boards are still cheap and plentiful.

*facepalm* DMD driver. I will have to have a look when I get it out to see what they were actually trying to achieve.

#177 5 years ago
Quoted from MattElder:

Don’t feel bad. You had me forgetting too, even after your pic of the garbled display. . Anyway, definitely something that someone cobbled together.

Certainly appears so. The bit that confuses me is that the chip appears to be the correct one as per the manual? I wouldn't have thought an adapter pcb was needed. It will be interesting to see what's under there.

#178 5 years ago
Quoted from ajfclark:

Certainly appears so. The bit that confuses me is that the chip appears to be the correct one as per the manual? I wouldn't have thought an adapter pcb was needed. It will be interesting to see what's under there.

Ok, I buzzed it out today. There's a cut trace on the board between U1:8 and U2:11. The extra chip fits into the circuit there. I believe this is the circuit:
weird-ic-on-display-driver (resized).pngweird-ic-on-display-driver (resized).png

Does that circuit make any sense? !Q feeds back in as data each clock pulse so Q will alternate, which feeds into the next stage which does the same. So this doesn't change the signal getting to U2:11, just delays it slightly?

#179 5 years ago
Quoted from ajfclark:

Any clues why the DMD sometimes draws the right image, but the quadrants are in the wrong places?

Is this extra chip on the DMD driver standard or something strange?

Ok, I've had a bit more of a look at this. I wrote a little perl script that took the rom images and drew out black and white dumps of the contents:
romdef1romdef1romdef2romdef2
Interestingly, the images that are garbled all seem to be in romdef2 and romdef1 is read instead or as well as romdef2? Almost like the CE signal isn't switching between the two chips the way it should be?

eg. the Let's rock dude image earlier in the thread should be when the reel to reel deck is displayed. If you flick between the two images they occupy the same (or very similar) address ranges on the two chips, including the slight offset of the images.

Here's a video:

This video shows most of the glitches that are easy to repeat (I forgot Feedback).

Starting with Super Skins, the Trippin' Targets, Rockin' Ramps and Lightin' Loops and then the Record a Song shot in the centre:
eg. 3:50 in drop the ball in the centre shot. The DMD shows a few (4?) frames of reel to reel, then a bunch of static. Looking at the images above, there's 4 frames of the reel to reel on the 1st ROM in the 12 column, then the rest is on the 2nd rom in the 8/9th column. Looking at the first rom, the 8/9th column is static and then "Let's RockDude", exactly what appears on the display.

The other 4 modes seem to be similar, the animation is all or mostly on the 2nd ROM, but never seen.

So that makes me think it really is just pulling correct address from the wrong ROM, or that the ROM itself has garbage on it/is another copy of the first ROM.

Does that make sense to anyone else?

#180 5 years ago

I had an epiphany.

I fired up Visual Pinball and tried a few things like swapping the romdef files around. Duplicating the first one in both positions results in the symptoms I'm seeing. Swapping them was similar, but different, but worked enough that I decided to try swapping the romdef chips.

Well, all the animations that worked now don't. All the animations that didn't do. In the example of hitting the centre ramp that I used above, the first 4 frames are wrong, and the rest are correct.

I guess that validates that the roms are both working and at least close to the right data. Also appears to support the idea that the selection between ROMs isn't working for some reason.

#182 5 years ago
Quoted from MattElder:

Wow, good work on digging so deep on this. To be honest, this level of technicality is way over my head. At this point I would just replace the board.

Fixed.

EPSEL1 and EPSEL2 were on pins 2/3. Moving to 1/2 means the 4th bit of the code page switches between ROMs instead of the 5th.

Thanks to skybeaux on Aussie Arcade for being a sounding board and pointing out that the ROM images were half the size of the ROM chips.

Super stoked.

#194 5 years ago
Quoted from Betelgeuse:

I have the article in a .pdf, but can't find a practical way to post it here. davebart5 - PM me your email and I can send it to you.

Does this work?

alg-0.pngalg-0.png

alg-1.pngalg-1.png

alg-2.pngalg-2.png

alg-3.pngalg-3.png

alg-4.pngalg-4.png

alg-5.pngalg-5.png

[edit: removed alpha channel so you can see these properly when you click to view in the gallery. ]

#198 5 years ago

So I noticed something odd on my AGBGoaWT. The left and right trough switches had their wireforms snipped. I made up some and popped them in but then got nada in the switch test. Manually activated the switches, nothing. So then I shorted green/black to white/red, picking two spots in the matrix I knew are connected and still nothing. Everything else in those columns and that row work fine.

Have these switches been coded out? The game seems to work fine for the most part without them, using only the outhole and centre trough switches to keep track of the balls?

#206 5 years ago
Quoted from RCA1:

Computer geek in me is wondering if the 51/4 floppys are readable.
Very cool stuff.

I know a bunch of people still using c64 5 1/4" disks from the late 80s/early 90s. If they were stored ok, they're probably readable. The real question would be is there anything that can interpret the data on them anymore.

#208 5 years ago

Sounds like you could really pad out the Alvin G pinwiki section.

Really great to see that a bunch of this stuff has survived.

1 month later
#218 5 years ago

Noticed a Garage Band for sale and it has the same weird extra chip on the DMD driver board:

The seller says prototype? https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/al-s-garage-band-goes-on-a-world-tour-proto-w-xtras

1 week later
#220 5 years ago

Thanks xTheBlackKnightx

Do you know if any prototypes ever existed with drop targets or did that get killed too early in the prototyping? I've always assumed that's why the faces were stuck on the plastic above the band member targets.

Do you know when the upper of the two right VUKs got dropped?

#223 5 years ago
Quoted from MattElder:

The drops were costed out of the design before production. The prototype that I posted a pic of earlier had them, but even that game was destroyed. The early games that had the extra saucer were only done to use up the playfields on hand. This game in question is just one from early in the run. Not a proto.

It's a shame the drops didn't make it.

I thought it wasn't a proto as it's got the same features as mine. It is interesting that the extra piggybacked chip is on the DMD driver though. I wonder when they changed/fixed that.

2 months later
#226 5 years ago
Quoted from dung:

Finally found some!
[quoted image]

Pinball Spare Parts Australia just posted a bunch on their facebook page.

3 months later
#238 5 years ago

Can anyone tell me the correct parts for the post that holds the lower corner of the video mode ramp on Garage Band?

I lifted up the plastic to see why the post was always rattling around and found this:
IMG_20190208_181008 (resized).jpgIMG_20190208_181008 (resized).jpg

IMG_20190208_180959.jpgIMG_20190208_180959.jpg

11 months later
#250 4 years ago

I have a weird issue with my Al's Garage Band.

Sometimes where you turn it on, a couple of coils fire and you can't start a game. Flipper buttons change the volume.

Pushing on one of the connectors on the power board seems to resolve it? Ground issue? Cracked header pins?

2 months later
#263 4 years ago
Quoted from pacman11:

Did you find out the colors of those wires coming out of pp11? I need the same info if you have any pictures. Here’s mine..[quoted image][quoted image]

Does the manual help?
Screenshot from 2020-04-06 09-10-44 (resized).pngScreenshot from 2020-04-06 09-10-44 (resized).png

Or a crappy picture I had lying around?
Screenshot from 2020-04-06 09-13-52 (resized).pngScreenshot from 2020-04-06 09-13-52 (resized).png

Better pic:
Screenshot from 2020-04-06 09-15-24 (resized).pngScreenshot from 2020-04-06 09-15-24 (resized).png

#265 4 years ago
Quoted from pacman11:

Yeah hard for me to read these manuals. I’d rather have a picture of the connector if anyone has one.. I think I’ve got it correct but I want to make sure before I turn it on and blow something up..

Screenshot from 2020-04-06 09-15-24 (resized).pngScreenshot from 2020-04-06 09-15-24 (resized).png

10 11 12
7 8 9
4 5 6
1 2 3

PJ11:
1 Yellow/White (not present on my machine)
2 White/White
3 Yellow/White (not present on my machine)
4 White/White
5 Blue/Blue
6 Green/Green
7 White/Black
8 N/C
9 Green/Green
10 Violet/Violet
11 Blue/Blue
12 Violet/Violet

#271 4 years ago
Quoted from pacman11:

Is your machine a Alvin G Soccer game like mine? Or does it not matter? Thanks!

My bad, I forgot this thread was about all the different machines. I should really ingest coffee before using the internet.

However, those pictures show you how to map the diagram to the cables for Al's garage band. That technique should work for the soccer too.

Here's the scheamtic from the AG Football manual:
Screenshot from 2020-04-07 09-59-25 (resized).pngScreenshot from 2020-04-07 09-59-25 (resized).png

2 White
4 White
5 Blue
6 Green
7 White/Black
8 Blue/White
9 Green
10 Violet
11 Blue
12 Violet

That is idential to the layout in my machine, except the addition of pin 8 with Blue/White.

9 months later
#307 3 years ago
Quoted from TomDK:

If someone will start reproducing spareparts, all flipper mechanics would be helpfull. This is the point on Alvin G. , its hard to find parts for the mechanics.

There's some spares available from pinballspareparts.com.au.
Bats: https://www.pinballspareparts.com.au/ag-flipperbaty.html
Cranks/pawls:
https://www.pinballspareparts.com.au/agflipper.html
https://www.pinballspareparts.com.au/agflipper1.html
Bushing: https://www.pinballspareparts.com.au/fsb-001.html
And more: https://www.pinballspareparts.com.au/catalogsearch/result/?q=alvin+g

However, I've never found anything that works to replace the flipper links, nor the bushing between the link and the crank/pawl. I only have an early production Al's to go off.

Has anyone found a combination that works to replace the plunger and link and/or the bushing?

#314 3 years ago
Quoted from dung:

So on mine I took I think a late 90s bw link and ground it down. The holes line up, but the alvin g is much thinner. Has worked for years without issue.

The hole in the WMS link is way too big though without the bushing... I probably wasn't clear, the bushing is the bit I'm missing. I've tried using the bussing from a WMS link, but it doesn't seem to fit on the AlvinG crank?

#319 3 years ago
Quoted from MattElder:

Thanks for saying this. I was about to do the same. And it's not just Fenix.....others have kind of helped lose the original intent of the thread. Let's keep the tech help stuff elsewhere, please.

Is there an existing tech thread for Alvin G machines or should we create a new one?

2 years later
#367 1 year ago
Quoted from MattElder:

Yes. There are LOTS of Alvin G threads. Post in one of them or start one. Does a thread titled "A *Tribute* To The Gottlieb Name" seem like the best one of them to post your target question in?

To be fair, many of the club threads have weird names. Given there aren't many Alvin G machines, it kind of makes sense that there's a club thread with a name that covers all of them.

I mean, given the number of times people have mistaken this for a club thread, yes, it's obviously not clear that your intent for this thread is not a tech thread. Maybe change the title to "Alvin G tribute - NOT A TECH THREAD"?

#372 1 year ago

Maybe we could start a new thread "The New improved Alvin G club - now with added tech talk"?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
2,650 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Girard, OH
2,600 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Valley Center, KS
Machine - For Sale
Tehachapi, CA
Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ajfclark.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/alvin-g-and-co-a-tribute-to-the-gottlieb-name?tu=ajfclark and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.