IMG_20210402_131342 (resized).jpg
IMG_1720 (resized).JPG
IMG_1724 (resized).JPG
23A2D617-C33C-40FB-8E4C-958122A6933C (resized).jpeg
85B89E09-A803-44C8-93E2-DCD21EC9145A (resized).jpeg
ff413920af58a4af69b06f651de4d36b41ca0e7d (resized).jpg
DSCF1100 (resized).JPG
7a4091881 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Betelgeuse.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#45 7 years ago

I don't know how I missed this thread up until now. I must be slacking. I'm a long time Alvin G fan and for years I ran this website to archive information on the company and the games. It hasn't been active for a long time, but I had collected quite the list of serial numbers there (particularly for Mystery Castle) which I passed on to Matt Elder. I believe it was also the first place to document the differences between the early 'prototype' machines and standard machines.

https://web.archive.org/web/20120712180810/http://www.tristatechapter.com/arcade/alving/alving.html

It's great to have Michael Gottlieb contributing to this thread!

5 months later
#80 7 years ago
Quoted from dung:

Possibly slingshot or for some other mech?

Yup, these look like the slingshot plungers. I have never found original flipper plungers and links.

1 year later
#157 5 years ago
Quoted from ajfclark:

A flipper rebuild is too, one of the pawls is super dooper sloppy.

That's one of the downsides with these Alvin G games is that flipper rebuild parts are not available. You'll have to get creative and hack a repair or substitute B/W parts.

3 weeks later
#190 5 years ago

I have the article in a .pdf, but can't find a practical way to post it here. davebart5 - PM me your email and I can send it to you.

#205 5 years ago

Great stuff, Matt! I am hoping that you will be actively trying to retrieve the data from those 5-1/4" floppys soon.

1 year later
#248 4 years ago
Quoted from PhillyArcade:

Hey guys long time fan of Alvin G pins and just picked up a very nice example of a Pistol Poker. Undocumented home use only. Sure is clean inside and out. The boards are all virgin with very little cracked solder on the connectors.

No DMD in this game when I picked it up. The owner said it's been out for many years and lost interest in it could never get it working. I installed a DMD I had laying around that was in my No Fear and all I'm getting is $$$$$ all over the display. So far here is what I've done...

*Pulled dot matrix board flowed solder on all connectors.
*Replaced all caps on dot matrix board as one of them was swollen and leaking slightly.
*Replaced the 20 pin ribbon cable from the CPU and the ribbon cable from the dot matrix board to the DMD.
*Confirmed all voltages in and out of the dot matrix board along with the DMD. All perfect.
*Confirmed all LED's have the normal one second blink pattern on the pcb's.

I am no expert, but a lot of weird issues are often related to the power supply board in the lower left of the backbox. Even if the power is correct at the dmd control board, it may not be correct somewhere else which affects the output to the display. Clive at Coin Op Cauldron can rebuild these at a fair price if needed.

1 year later
#282 3 years ago

Here's more of that S/N list from my old Alvin G site. Matt took up the torch for a while after I lost hosting, so he may have some more data points since then. The one that was for sale in the marketplace for $8k does indeed have the proto artwork. The serial number 3406 can be seen in one of the photos, so now you have some history on that machine.

3406 robert cheek, usa (proto art)
3407 steve schmidt, usa (proto art)
3410 timmy vierboom, belgium (proto art)
3414 pinball perfection, usa (proto art)
3416 brian stahl, usa (proto art)
3418 tom altenbach, ger (proto art)
3421 toddi, ger
3424 anthony capo, usa
3454 mario van cleave, usa
3461 todd, usa
3463 dan loosen, usa
3477 rick burnham, usa
3479 basil leblanc, usa
3486 ipp, usa
3493 scott kenny, aus
3495 arthur, holland
3521 gregor, ger
3526 matt elder, usa
3540 fred pika, ger
3550 jess askey, usa
3572 anon, usa
3583 dan loosen, usa
3592 unknown, usa
3594 robertmee, usa, made for Italian market
3601 maurizio, italy, made for Italian market
3603 mike, usa, made for Austrian market

#290 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinballer73:

Is there a website with further information on Mystery Castle proto vs production differences? I'd like to compare those to mine.

Unfortunately, my old site is long gone. You may still be able to find it on the wayback machine or something like that.

Production playfield art has purple banners with text at the shot entrances, and purple CASTLE text for the drops. Sample/Proto playfield has blank white banners and white CASTLE text.

7a4091881 (resized).jpg7a4091881 (resized).jpgmysterycastle2 (resized).jpgmysterycastle2 (resized).jpg
#295 3 years ago
Quoted from TomDK:

This is also about prototypes.
The protos cabinet is black. Inside is some red because it seems that they used Garageband cabinets for the protos.
Later on the cabinets were black with "sprenkles".

Good call. I had forgot about the cabinets being re-sprayed World Tour cabinets too. My best guess is that the early playfields were printed before they had settled on the names for the major shots.

Quoted from Fenix15:

Update for everyone: I have reached out to Gottlieb directly since I couldn't find a website for Alvin G. They gave me some contact info to get in touch with Michael Gottlieb, who I will be reaching out to shortly.

Others have done this before. There was a podcast interview with Michael Gottlieb years ago where he was asked extensively about MC. He did clear up some things about the number of machines produced, but he didn't have any documentation. We can only assume that 3400 or 3401 would have been the first machine built, though very early units may have been used in-house only. Matt Elder probably knows more than anyone on the subject, and has more documents and pieces of company history than even the people that worked there.

#305 3 years ago
Quoted from Fenix15:

I'll be enjoying my new game

Don't get discouraged. It's always good to see a new owner who's enthusiastic about this title like I am. I've had mine for over 10 years now and it's still one of my all-time favorite pins.

Quoted from fanuminski:

were the skulls "stock" for the production playfield? I don't have them - just the colored "condoms" on the bulbs

Not stock. That was just a pic of a modded MC that I found online years ago and used as an example.

Quoted from fanuminski:

If this matters at all,
I Have number 3537 M Fanum , USA

Sure, what the heck... Added!

3406 robert cheek, usa (proto art)
3407 steve schmidt, usa (proto art)
3410 timmy vierboom, belgium (proto art)
3414 pinball perfection, usa (proto art)
3416 brian stahl, usa (proto art)
3418 tom altenbach, ger (proto art)
3421 toddi, ger
3424 anthony capo, usa
3454 mario van cleave, usa
3461 todd, usa
3463 dan loosen, usa
3477 rick burnham, usa
3479 basil leblanc, usa
3486 ipp, usa
3493 scott kenny, aus
3495 arthur, holland
3521 gregor, ger
3526 matt elder, usa
3537 m. fanum, usa
3540 fred pika, ger
3550 jess askey, usa
3572 anon, usa
3583 dan loosen, usa
3592 unknown, usa
3594 robertmee, usa, made for Italian market
3601 maurizio, italy, made for Italian market
3603 mike, usa, made for Austrian market

#313 3 years ago

Just some thoughts...

Quoted from Fenix15:

2. A decent number of flashers seem to be out, too. When I test the bad ones in diagnostics, I can hear the relay click but nothing flashes. And, speaking of flashers, every time I lose the ball, the game seems to pause and strobe the right ramp flasher for a couple seconds before doing the bonus count. Is that normal?

The lighting simulates lightening strikes when the bonus counts. If most of your flashers are out, I am guessing you are just seeing part of that display. I would start with the simplest solution first and check the bulbs that are out.

Quoted from Fenix15:

1. I'm getting random "Please Wait" messages at random times during both attract mode and gameplay.

"Please Wait" should only be on the display for a few seconds when you first boot the game. Your game may be resetting.

Quoted from Fenix15:

4. Both outlane lights (Boulder Bonus and Chopping Block lights specifically) are out.

Are these out in test too? I'm pretty sure these aren't normally lit until you progress in the game.

#316 3 years ago
Quoted from Fenix15:

As for the Please Wait messages, I guess the display is just rebooting randomly? Would that be a loose connector or a power supply issue? Or something else?

Just speculation, but the power supply board in the lower left of the backbox is a common failure point on this game. It can cause all sorts of strange issues. Clive at CoinOp Cauldron can refurb these at a reasonable price.

1 month later
#326 3 years ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

Brian Bushey just picked up 3511 and it’s for sale if anyone’s interested.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/for-sale-mystery-castle-5

Thanks. Will add it to the list.

#329 3 years ago
Quoted from The_Director:

Got in today! Super exited about it, it’s beautiful shape. Since 3601 and 3603 were made for the foreign market, I figured this one would be, but it was made for the USA.

Congrats! I would have expected that one to be an export too.

3 weeks later
#342 3 years ago
Quoted from JReedie:

Mine is number 3540 and now lives in the UK but looks like it was originally destined for France

Interesting. This machine was previously owned by a collector in Germany.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
St Charles, IL
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

Machine - For Sale
Tehachapi, CA
Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Martinez, GA

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Betelgeuse.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/alvin-g-and-co-a-tribute-to-the-gottlieb-name?tu=Betelgeuse and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.