IMG_20210402_131342 (resized).jpg
IMG_1720 (resized).JPG
IMG_1724 (resized).JPG
23A2D617-C33C-40FB-8E4C-958122A6933C (resized).jpeg
85B89E09-A803-44C8-93E2-DCD21EC9145A (resized).jpeg
ff413920af58a4af69b06f651de4d36b41ca0e7d (resized).jpg
DSCF1100 (resized).JPG
7a4091881 (resized).jpg
There are 372 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 8.
#51 7 years ago
Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

I want that LARGE AGB display promo that is sitting behind Michael.
Looks like cardboard though...

That and everything else in those trade show pics have been on my want list for the museum for a long time. Some really cool stuff there. I asked Michael a while back if he thinks any of it might have survived, but no word on that yet. As is the case with most of the stuff from that time I'm guessing it's all long gone, but you never know....

#52 7 years ago
Quoted from MattElder:

That and everything else in those trade show pics have been on my want list for the museum for a long time. Some really cool stuff there. I asked Michael a while back if he thinks any of it might have survived, but no word on that yet. As is the case with most of the stuff from that time I'm guessing it's all long gone, but you never know....

"Warehouse raid..."

#53 7 years ago

Sadly, it would take a landfill raid to find a bunch of the stuff after the factory closure. Many things that we would now go nuts for got smashed and pitched. That said, some really neat things did survive, so I keep on searching....

1 week later
#54 7 years ago

Very nice thread, took me some weeks to cross it.
Many, many informations ... and we see that there is a small Alvin G. community.
I am in contact with Matt and Betelgeuse for years now, I was also surprised that the old website is still reachable. At least I have a hardcopy on my HDD and we talked about a re-launch.
I can state that in Europe most machines are still in the same collectors hand. There is not much move in Alvin G. machines. PP shows up time by time, GarageBand rarely and MC never expect a NIB machine which shows up also on ebay.com frequently.

The offer for the plastics protectors sounds good ! I would be in for a set !

Nice to know .. there is also a makrolon playfield protektor out for one Alvon G. machine: Garage Band ! The producer is a friend of mine and he got my spare playfield. I am sure he did not sell too much of them.

Why are so many GarageBand for the German market in the US, my imported machine was also build for Germany ?! I think there was no official distributor in Germany for Alvin G. Thats what I heard. I found a HUO Garageband in the USA and imported it .. with "German Marks" coinfeeders. Most PP show up from the Netherland for any reason ...

#55 7 years ago
Quoted from TomDK:

Why are so many GarageBand for the German market in the US, my imported machine was also build for Germany ?! I think there was no official distributor in Germany for Alvin G. Thats what I heard. I found a HUO Garageband in the USA and imported it .. with "German Marks" coinfeeders. Most PP show up from the Netherland for any reason ...

AGC did direct some sales to overseas operators (in volume) versus pure distributors at times to circumnavigate the pressure of BLY/WMS bull$#@% regarding monopolization and rebreaking back into the industry.
That is why AGBs ended up with export multiples still left in warehouses, especially with DM coin doors and transformer settings.
Michael could explain what happened further if he chooses to expand on the subject.
I cannot speak for the rest of the titles, especially PP, because many ended up on the docks, and never shipped.
Low volume on most titles resulted in most being dispersed across the globe, if they were not left as close outs purchased by employees of AGC or friends within the industries. There was substantial deals to be made on these titles from 1993-1994, at the end of the days of the company. Unfortunately, many collectors were not "in the groove" for buying at that period for these titles.

#56 7 years ago

Man I love this thread!! Such a cool little company that gets lil love

#57 7 years ago

I absolutely love threads like this. I can't get enough of the stories and the history. Thank you everyone who has contributed. Keep up the good work!

1 month later
#58 7 years ago
Quoted from MattElder:

Without a doubt Alvin G & Co. was/is a very underrated and underappreciated company. They did so much in a small amount of time, and I think it was nothing short of incredible. Although their production numbers were very small and they failed to get a foothold in the industry, they worked their butts off to pump out many titles with a lot of diversity. They deserve way more praise than they get, IMHO.
A bit of trivia here: The company started out in March of 1990 as a game design firm called A. Gottlieb & Co. Initially, the plan was to simply design games and have them produced by Premier/Gottlieb, but the idea soon fizzled because Gottlieb was too busy with their own stuff.... so Alvin set up a factory in extra space at the Gottlieb Memorial Hospital complex. At the same time, due to legal issues with Premier/Gottlieb, Alvin was not able to use his last name, so the company briefly existed as A.G. & Co. and then eventually settled on Alvin G & Co.
So, on to my obsession here. About 9 years ago I started getting away from buying the typical B/W and Stern games and I bought a Mystery Castle. Due to the theme I had wanted one for a long time, and after searching for what seemed like forever I brought one home. The game from this semi-unknown company was just incredible to me. Great sounds and artwork.... and I was hooked. This started me down a long road to learning as much as I could about this company and collecting all their games and much more.
I have since spent countless hours tracking down and buying an example of every title produced (and even some protos of titles not released), gathering other things like distributor items, prototype parts and artwork, company memorabilia, factory test fixtures, vintage photos, etc. I have also spent a lot of time tracking down former employees and doing interviews with them so things aren't lost to history, and I hope to be able to do a good write up of everything someday. For now though I'll leave you with some photos of some of my Alvin G collection. I'll try to post some others later, as well as some vintage factory photos. Stay tuned....

GREAT PICS MY FRIEND!!!! OMG!! YOU TOOK ME WAYY BACK!! I was there when it was 1st started, I was in that small circle. The only credit I have is the World Soccer Game music credit for Latin America, I composed the little spanish salsa music for it thanks to Kyle Johnson. I am Salvador Medina. I worked for Data East Gary Stern as a service tech, builder and tester before we jumped ship to the Alvin G company and yes you are correct on the name choosing! I was 24 at that time around the same age as the Gottlieb boys! I loved working there even though I didnt last long. Left when World Tour was rolling out, made harnesses, built the playfields, installed, trained manufacturing personnel, local road trips to set them all up. I was with a kid named Jimmy. (forgot his name, he wore glasses), my boss was Cedric Celestine, who reported to Jerry Armstrong. I got to know everyone personally we were a small new company. Guys i interacted with, Alvin G, Mike G, Joseph G, Stephan, K, Jerry Armstrong, Mister G's sister, her son Inventory manager, Ray the software manager, Kyle Johnson, Wally Welch, Dieter, Jimmy old man engineer, George Saxinger, Wally Sa'd, Nick the Greek guy in charge of the assembly line, I forgot the market guy's name, my entire tech support team, and all the non english speaking temps. I tried finding Wally Welch as he taught me a lot but never could find him online. Im still in touch with a few.

Unfortunately I don't have any pics, wish I did! Im sure there are some floating around.

I wish the pinballl industry was still solid, I really loved working there!! Playing tag football with everyone outside that old warehouse behind the hospital.

Thank you for this forum!

#59 7 years ago
Quoted from MattElder:

Finally getting around to posting some of my old Alvin G photos. More of these oldies and other shots of stuff in my collection to come later. Photo credits go to Jim Schelberg.

GREAT PICS!! I REMEMBER THEM ALL!! MISS THOSE DAYS!

#60 7 years ago

This is great, I purchased my U.S.A Football NIB from the factory and I still have it. This game has an A.C. power connector on the top of the marquee so I wired outlet in the ceiling in the middle of my gameroom so the machine can be displayed in all of its glory. As an extra when I ordered it I also got an extra set of decals.

#61 7 years ago

Rare TOUR of Pinball Factory ALVIN G & Company on 8mm film in 1993.
Mystery Castle under production.
Courtesy of Todd Tuckey at TNT Amusements
» YouTube video

RARE FIND HERE! I and a few others have already left the company when this tour came through.
I was there in the beginning when the company was still in its infancy and then one large empty dark warehouse that was used to store Gottlieb hospital records. ..no more than 15 employees I was their 1st hired tech under Cedric. Interviewed by Jerry A at another offsite location pre Alvin G's established warehouse location.
It was me Cedric, Jerry A, and Jerry's rinky dinky blue van where the seats were not securely fastened. I forgot his friends name with glasses and curly hair but he and Jerry had some history...lots of jokes and laughs...saw Dieter the engineer be interviewed, the rest followed like Wally Welch and a host of others that already had names established in the pinball industry. Wish there were more pics.
Lady in white shirt frame 1:45 is Alvina (former Data East)...she was the 1st cable harness hire and future assembly leader that came from Data East, It was only her and I in that empty warehouse in the beginning.
Lady in black curly hair white shirt at frame 2:03 is Delfina (former Data East)...George Saxinger's wife
Young man in the black tshirt fram 2:32 is John (forgot his last name)
Lady in the purple blouse frame 3:04 curly hair forgot her name, she drove a van, spoke not a word of English, nice lady.
Lady in dark blouse at curly at the punching machine frame 4:37 is Isidra spoke no english, nice lady, advised her to make it in this country learn English. ..ran into her 15 years later, was a manager at Enchanted Castle and spoke fluent English! She went to school and learned. best thing she ever did for her future.
Black lady in the red/white stripes at frame 4:57...forgot her name but she drove a very very nice red with with leather interior 1970s Cadillac.
Spanish lady in the beige blouse frame 5:11 (former Data East) nice lady forgot her name
Black man technician at frame 5:46 in the white with green pin stripe (former Data East) is Lonnie. Dont know what ever became of him.
Young man in the black T-shirt frame 6:07 again John (former Data East)
Man walking behind the tour guide black shirt and black jeans at frame 6:12 and 6:21 is Wally Sa'd (former Data East).
Spanish man to the right of Wally at frame 6:21 white shirt bald is old man Manuel (former Data East) His son also worked at Alvin G.
Spanish Mexican man technician with the Irona Maiden tshirt at frame 6:48 with the black t-shirt is Ruben.
In the photo attachment there are 4 of the 8 technicians at that time, left to right Juan, big guy in back Francisco, Me, and Ruben (the man with the Iron Maiden t-shirt in the Alvin G Tour video) missing Chinese guy Howard, Jose, old man Manuel, John and Johnny the Indian guy. We were all in our early 20s.
Francisco, myself, Juan, Howard and Jose left Alvin G in 1992. We are still in touch and good friends, everyone is doing well..for those that knew Francisco...90% couldnt understand what he was trying to say in English because it was that bad.. F word every 4th word in his conversation. I eventually ended up in Motorola and got him in. As poor as his English was, he is now a Field Service Manager out in Philadelphia doing well.
Even though I was long gone from Alvin G..I managed to obtain a Mystery Castle back glass years ago!
I might still have a few soccer ball parts I found in my dads basement, tossed out a soccer-ball overheard marquee a while back.
Alvin_G_Technicians_(resized).jpgAlvin_G_Technicians_(resized).jpg
20160813_211706[1]_(resized).jpg20160813_211706[1]_(resized).jpg
20160814_054933[1]_(resized).jpg20160814_054933[1]_(resized).jpg

Added over 8 years ago: Bricia not the Isidra name. Sorry its been 20+yrs.

#62 7 years ago

Keep right on AGC rolling.
The posts above show that not all pinball history is quite lost, and there are still aspects of pinball forums that are educational and fun, versus argumentative and redirected to epeens.
Another AGC personal acquisition over the past few months.
PTC #1187...not many left now.
Sequence numbers started at #1101.
There was some weirdness on numbering on the last few machines.
I cannot answer the reason why.
Attract mode still scares the crap out of everybody when the game is running.
Playmeter shows over 176K plays!
The boards, ticket dispenser, playfield, cabinet, or backglass do not reflect this respect in any way.
They must have been awfully short game time periods as this was a routed game.
Oh, and no "ghosting" inserts and continues to retain a high clear coat gloss shine after 23 years.
All from a company that has equal amounts of experience as current Stern, and only physically made a handful of games.
PTC Trivia Note:
PTC had different colored flipper buttons that were reversed from the flipper colors, red and blue.
Left side had a blue flipper button and red flipper bat.
Right side had a red flipper button and blue flipper bat.
Both side flipper bats were "switch flippers" (patented) from the AGC Soccer and Football games that originally had the wires around the edges that allowed auto flipper control and a simple response AI concept when only one person was playing those titles. A highly unusual concept that in this application and design worked quite well from design and reliability. The printing clearly shows what they were used for originally.
One of the reasons I posted these particular PTC photos, is that if a person is diligent they can find ANYTHING (in quality condition), not have to gouge their wallet even now based on the market insanity, learn some more experience, and might even make another new pinball friend along the way.
All these areas have value in this hobby.
Wisdom comes from knowledge and experience, not speculation.
Punchy1.jpgPunchy1.jpg
Punchy2.jpgPunchy2.jpg
Punchy_the_Clown_(resized).jpgPunchy_the_Clown_(resized).jpg

Added over 8 years ago: Something I should have added.
The start button artwork on the front of the cabinet is a DECAL not silkscreened.
Literally just a STICKER.

#63 7 years ago
Quoted from SalMedina:

RARE FIND HERE! I and a few others have already left the company when this tour came through.
I was there in the beginning when the company was still in its infancy and then one large empty dark warehouse that was used to store Gottlieb hospital records. ..no more than 15 employees I was their 1st hired tech under Cedric. Interviewed by Jerry A at another offsite location pre Alvin G's established warehouse location.
It was me Cedric, Jerry A, and Jerry's rinky dinky blue van where the seats were not securely fastened. I forgot his friends name with glasses and curly hair but he and Jerry had some history...lots of jokes and laughs...saw Dieter the engineer be interviewed, the rest followed like Wally Welch and a host of others that already had names established in the pinball industry. Wish there were more pics.
Lady in white shirt frame 1:45 is Alvina (former Data East)...she was the 1st cable harness hire and future assembly leader that came from Data East, It was only her and I in that empty warehouse in the beginning.
Lady in black curly hair white shirt at frame 2:03 is Delfina (former Data East)...George Saxinger's wife
Young man in the black tshirt fram 2:32 is John (forgot his last name)
Lady in the purple blouse frame 3:04 curly hair forgot her name, she drove a van, spoke not a word of English, nice lady.
Lady in dark blouse at curly at the punching machine frame 4:37 is Isidra spoke no english, nice lady, advised her to make it in this country learn English. ..ran into her 15 years later, was a manager at Enchanted Castle and spoke fluent English! She went to school and learned. best thing she ever did for her future.
Black lady in the red/white stripes at frame 4:57...forgot her name but she drove a very very nice red with with leather interior 1970s Cadillac.
Spanish lady in the beige blouse frame 5:11 (former Data East) nice lady forgot her name
Black man technician at frame 5:46 in the white with green pin stripe (former Data East) is Lonnie. Dont know what ever became of him.
Young man in the black T-shirt frame 6:07 again John (former Data East)
Man walking behind the tour guide black shirt and black jeans at frame 6:12 and 6:21 is Wally Sa'd (former Data East).
Spanish man to the right of Wally at frame 6:21 white shirt bald is old man Manuel (former Data East) His son also worked at Alvin G.
Spanish Mexican man technician with the Irona Maiden tshirt at frame 6:48 with the black t-shirt is Ruben.
In the photo attachment there are 4 of the 8 technicians at that time, left to right Juan, big guy in back Francisco, Me, and Ruben (the man with the Iron Maiden t-shirt in the Alvin G Tour video) missing Chinese guy Howard, Jose, old man Manuel, John and Johnny the Indian guy. We were all in our early 20s.
Francisco, myself, Juan, Howard and Jose left Alvin G in 1992. We are still in touch and good friends, everyone is doing well..for those that knew Francisco...90% couldnt understand what he was trying to say in English because it was that bad.. F word every 4th word in his conversation. I eventually ended up in Motorola and got him in. As poor as his English was, he is now a Field Service Manager out in Philadelphia doing well.
Even though I was long gone from Alvin G..I managed to obtain a Mystery Castle back glass years ago!
I might still have a few soccer ball parts I found in my dads basement, tossed out a soccer-ball overheard marquee a while back.

Added today: Bricia not the Isidra name. Sorry its been 20+yrs.

Found this in an old box at dads, sold it on ebay for parts somewhere! Do no remember what game this board belonged to.

AlvinGboard1_(resized).jpgAlvinGboard1_(resized).jpg

AlvinGboard2_(resized).jpgAlvinGboard2_(resized).jpg

#65 7 years ago

Thats me at the bottom of the credits!
Wish I had a full poster of this to frame!

Soccerball_(resized).jpgSoccerball_(resized).jpg

#66 7 years ago

Fun thread. It was nice to see Michael Gottlieb participating. I hope he gives some more pinball stories from back in the day.

#67 7 years ago

Just a little add-on:

This letter for the customer I have for GarageBand and PP.

DSC_0038_(resized).jpgDSC_0038_(resized).jpg

#68 7 years ago
Quoted from SalMedina:

GREAT PICS MY FRIEND!!!! OMG!! YOU TOOK ME WAYY BACK!! I was there when it was 1st started, I was in that small circle. The only credit I have is the World Soccer Game music credit for Latin America, I composed the little spanish salsa music for it thanks to Kyle Johnson. I am Salvador Medina. I worked for Data East Gary Stern as a service tech, builder and tester before we jumped ship to the Alvin G company and yes you are correct on the name choosing! I was 24 at that time around the same age as the Gottlieb boys! I loved working there even though I didnt last long. Left when World Tour was rolling out, made harnesses, built the playfields, installed, trained manufacturing personnel, local road trips to set them all up. I was with a kid named Jimmy. (forgot his name, he wore glasses), my boss was Cedric Celestine, who reported to Jerry Armstrong. I got to know everyone personally we were a small new company. Guys i interacted with, Alvin G, Mike G, Joseph G, Stephan, K, Jerry Armstrong, Mister G's sister, her son Inventory manager, Ray the software manager, Kyle Johnson, Wally Welch, Dieter, Jimmy old man engineer, George Saxinger, Wally Sa'd, Nick the Greek guy in charge of the assembly line, I forgot the market guy's name, my entire tech support team, and all the non english speaking temps. I tried finding Wally Welch as he taught me a lot but never could find him online. Im still in touch with a few.
Unfortunately I don't have any pics, wish I did! Im sure there are some floating around.
I wish the pinballl industry was still solid, I really loved working there!! Playing tag football with everyone outside that old warehouse behind the hospital.
Thank you for this forum!

Quoted from SalMedina:

GREAT PICS!! I REMEMBER THEM ALL!! MISS THOSE DAYS!

Salvador,

Thanks for posting! I'm glad you enjoyed the pics. I need to post some more when time allows. Too much keeping me away from pinball lately it seems....

If you'd be willing to participate, I'd love to add you to my list of former Alvin G employees that I've interviewed. I can help you contact some old friends as well. I try to stay in contact with Michael Gottlieb, Jerry Armstrong, Rehman Merchant, Dan Hughes, Andy Reynolds, Jim Shird and Tim Elliott, so let me know if you'd like to get in touch.

Much more that I'd like to chat about with you, so I'll send you a PM in the future. Thanks again for posting.

Matt

1 month later
#69 7 years ago

AGBGoaWT 24×32" professional poster created by using the original flyer front scanned at 600 dpi and revectorized in Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop.

Poster image is available at no cost or profit to anyone. It is quite large at over 1.5 GB full print size. Just contact me if you wish to have access via PM for personal printing.

20160923_175231.jpg20160923_175231.jpg

#70 7 years ago

That's very cool. Thanks for posting.

But, I don't know many people that can accept a 1GB attachment. You may need to host it somewhere.

Or are you PMing a cloud drive address.
faz

#71 7 years ago
Quoted from pinball_faz:

That's very cool. Thanks for posting.
But, I don't know many people that can accept a 1GB attachment. You may need to host it somewhere.
Or are you PMing a cloud drive address.
faz

The large image file and other multiple posters I have created in the past are stored in a shared personal Dropbox folder. It is not public, but has been made available for pinball collectors in the past.

#72 7 years ago

That's a super lot of effort ... thanks!

What other games have you done?
faz

#73 7 years ago
Quoted from pinball_faz:

That's a super lot of effort ... thanks!
What other games have you done?
faz

Punchy the Clown - 22x28"
Mystery Castle (Flyer scroll side for a fellow owner collector) - 22X28" (This turned out amazing as well)
GB LE - 22X28"
CFTBL (modified image) - 22X28"
Genie (two page merge) - 20X30"
Pinball Magic (two page merge) - 20X30"
TZ (two page merge) - 20X30"
Fireball (EM) - 22X28"

Those are few off my memory.
Most turned out really sharp, but it depended on the original base flyer or image I could use, older games print qualities were not that great and require a lot more effort.
The key was to use the right kind of paper and printing processes.

#74 7 years ago

I recently picked up a minty PP. I freaking LOVE this game and it's not likely to ever leave my collection. My guests often gravitate to this machine over A-listers. It's just plain FUN to play and was WAY ahead of it's time. I want more Alvin G machines!

1 week later
#75 7 years ago

@pinterest: Very wise

I am collecting pinbals for nearly 15 years. I bought them all and I sold them all expect my Alvin G.´s
You are rigt , in our pinball league most people have MM, AFM, MB ... and so on. Alvin G. are only played at my place ,,,

have fun with your PP and check in Multiball if it counts right !!

1 month later
#76 7 years ago

I found these plungers going through some parts I had. I know they are Alvin G. Do any of you have any more information. Are they flippers or something else?

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#77 7 years ago

Wouldn't mind having AGB, MC or PP. Prices seem stupid high whenever I see them near me, which isn't often.

#78 7 years ago

Punchy the Clown - 22x28"
Mystery Castle (Flyer scroll side for a fellow owner collector) - 22X28" (This turned out amazing as well)
GB LE - 22X28"
CFTBL (modified image) - 22X28"
Genie (two page merge) - 20X30"
Pinball Magic (two page merge) - 20X30"
TZ (two page merge) - 20X30"
Fireball (EM) - 22X28"
Those are few off my memory.
Most turned out really sharp, but it depended on the original base flyer or image I could use, older games print qualities were not that great and require a lot more effort.
The key was to use the right kind of paper and printing processes.

That's some cool stuff there. I'm not interested right now but I'll keep it mind for the future.

#79 7 years ago
Quoted from jmountjoy111:

I found these plungers going through some parts I had. I know they are Alvin G. Do any of you have any more information. Are they flippers or something else?

Not flippers, at least not like the ones I have. Possibly slingshot or for some other mech? Then again maybe I do not have any original flipper plungers/links?

Speaking of flippers does anyone have any idea on what to use in lieu of original flipper bats? I need 3 for my mystery castle.

#80 7 years ago
Quoted from dung:

Possibly slingshot or for some other mech?

Yup, these look like the slingshot plungers. I have never found original flipper plungers and links.

#81 7 years ago

If you ever visit the Netherlands we have Punchy the Clown, Pistol Poker, Soccer Ball and Dinosaur Egg on display at the Dutch Pinball Museum.

#82 7 years ago

AGB reproduction spinner decals should be available in a couple of months or so.
Production will be limited to 100 on this first batch, which should should satisfy most owners for some time.
Price should be under $20, I am not trying to get rich here.

I am not planning to mass advertise them, to avoid the "attack of the lawyer clones" or deal with Ebay scalpers.
Just ask, this is just a community service, as most AGB games need the part.

Here is one of the samples I received after duplication/creation with a 4500 dpi scan of an original NOS.

Ink color, rubberized texture, and 3M adhesive backing is factory specification correct.
I found a manufacture that could make the rubberized texture a higher industrial quality than the original NOS ones.
I need to finish coating them with clear LiquidGrip™ to further protect the production rubberized ink screening so there are no concerns for wear in the immediate feature.
The one in the photo is already coated for testing.

I will take them for a "test whirl" on a buffing wheel, and do some rub testing in the next week.

AGB Spinner Decal (resized).jpgAGB Spinner Decal (resized).jpg

1 month later
#83 7 years ago

Just wanted to let people know, you cannot use a stern led dmd in Alvin G's. I have tested it in Pistol Poker and Mystery Castle. When a large amount of the display is used dots will randomly blink on and off. I tried playing a game and quickly it did a full reset. It appears the 5v line is too stressed by this display.

#84 7 years ago

Does anyone else get a loud hum from their woofer? I do not get it on pistol poker or AGBGOWT. Mystery castle almost sounds like a data east though.

I swapped sound boards between games. The hum does not follow the board. I noticed that the plug for the speaker wires was tarnished so I replaced it with an idc.

Any ideas what else to look at? I am tempted to try swapping speakers in case the woofer is somehow damaged.

1 month later
#85 7 years ago

Any luck on the hum?

I just picked up a Mystery Castle and don't have any woofer hum. Definitely worth trying to eliminate problem areas / swapping woofer. I don't remember right now if the boards mount to metal backing like Williams, but if that's the case, you can also try "floating" the board. That is, removing electrical/ground contact with the mounting, by using nylon washers / screws. That might eliminate grounding problem that can cause hum.

#86 7 years ago

Congratz to your MC !! A very fine and spooky machine ! I love it !!

#87 7 years ago
Quoted from TomDK:

Congratz to your MC !! A very fine and spooky machine ! I love it !!

Danke! I'm loving the MC, it's my favorite Alvin G, and was so glad to find a great example.

#88 7 years ago
Quoted from HighVoltage:

Any luck on the hum?
I just picked up a Mystery Castle and don't have any woofer hum. Definitely worth trying to eliminate problem areas / swapping woofer. I don't remember right now if the boards mount to metal backing like Williams, but if that's the case, you can also try "floating" the board. That is, removing electrical/ground contact with the mounting, by using nylon washers / screws. That might eliminate grounding problem that can cause hum.

Actually yes. My MC started resetting the other day. The 5 volt line would start out at 5.4 volts when you turned it on and then over time would steadily drop over a period of 15-20 mins to the point that the game would instantly reset. Pulled the board, swapped in the one from my pistol poker, hum gone. Since it is a simple board and I have a desoldering gun my plan is to shotgun it, 75 percent are caps anyways.

Also, I think I need to learn to say no.

20170319_085557 (resized).jpg20170319_085557 (resized).jpg

#89 7 years ago

Nice line-up !!

I need a punchy

#90 7 years ago
Quoted from HighVoltage:

Any luck on the hum?
I just picked up a Mystery Castle and don't have any woofer hum.

On a separate question is why the previous owner sold his MC game.
I am a bit concerned now, as it did not make sense.
There are only two MCs in the PNW (not counting CA), and I know who this game belonged to because I introduced him to pinball in 2002.

As far as the front speaker hum, the owner can PM me, if they need troubleshooting help.
Usually, I can diagnose it with a quick phone call.

BTW, you should see the links to files in your PinSide inbox today or tomorrow.
One of the posters, I did for the former MC owner.

#91 7 years ago

There are only two MCs in the PNW (not counting CA), and I know who this game belonged to because I introduced him to pinball in 2002.
As far as the front speaker hum, the owner can PM me, if they need troubleshooting help.
Usually, I can diagnose it with a quick phone call.
BTW, you should see the links to files in your PinSide inbox today or tomorrow.
One of the posters, I did for the former MC owner.

Any word on the al's spinning disk decals?

#92 7 years ago

Finally joined this club with an Al's Garage Band. Been looking for this title for quite a while...

#93 7 years ago

He said he had to make room for the pending arrival of his Magic Girl... Why are you concerned?

I think there's more MC than two in thw PNW. I've seen two others for sale on craigslist locally in the last year and talked to both owners. This is the 3rd one to change hands in just the greater Seattle area in the last year. That's pretty amazing, given the rarity...

Look forward to get those links! Thanks...

#94 7 years ago
Quoted from HighVoltage:

He said he had to make room for the pending arrival of his Magic Girl... Why are you concerned?

Because he spent quite a few years trying to find the game he wanted.
You are right, there are three, I forgot about the third owner.

3 months later
#95 6 years ago

I picked up a MC last year from a local collector. I'm in Seattle. So add one more to the list (unless you are already counting it somehow?)

1 week later
#96 6 years ago

Hi all,

It's been a long time since I've checked in so I wanted to post some updated pics of the Alvin G & Co. Museum. Since last time I've rearranged some things and added in the Slam-N-Jam proto, the factory playfield test fixture and a whole lot more artwork.

Always more to do, but this gives you a look at how it stands now. I tried to get some better shots of doodles from the art dept. and a lot of the stuff that never made it past the idea stage. Games like Green Slime, Maxx Badazz, Maxx Mayhem and Swirly. Art from the unfinished games Slam-N-Jam and A-Maze-Ing Baseball. I got a closer pic of the Dual-Pool proto as well. The Slapshot proto is still in storage and needs to be cleaned up/repaired, but I threw in a couple pics so you can see what that game looked like.

More to come, but for now, enjoy!

Matt

20170531_200918 (resized).jpg20170531_200918 (resized).jpg

20170531_200955 (resized).jpg20170531_200955 (resized).jpg

IMG_0019 (resized).JPGIMG_0019 (resized).JPG

IMG_0020 (resized).JPGIMG_0020 (resized).JPG

IMG_0021 (resized).JPGIMG_0021 (resized).JPG

IMG_0023 (resized).JPGIMG_0023 (resized).JPG

IMG_0022 (resized).JPGIMG_0022 (resized).JPG

IMG_0024 (resized).JPGIMG_0024 (resized).JPG

IMG_0026 (resized).JPGIMG_0026 (resized).JPG

IMG_0025 (resized).JPGIMG_0025 (resized).JPG

IMG_0028 (resized).JPGIMG_0028 (resized).JPG

IMG_0030 (resized).JPGIMG_0030 (resized).JPG

IMG_0029 (resized).JPGIMG_0029 (resized).JPG

IMG_0031 (resized).JPGIMG_0031 (resized).JPG

IMG_0032 (resized).JPGIMG_0032 (resized).JPG

IMG_0033 (resized).JPGIMG_0033 (resized).JPG

IMG_0035 (resized).JPGIMG_0035 (resized).JPG

IMG_0034 (resized).JPGIMG_0034 (resized).JPG

IMG_0036 (resized).JPGIMG_0036 (resized).JPG

IMG_0038 (resized).JPGIMG_0038 (resized).JPG

IMG_0037 (resized).JPGIMG_0037 (resized).JPG

IMG_0039 (resized).JPGIMG_0039 (resized).JPG

20170417_193254 (resized).jpg20170417_193254 (resized).jpg

20170417_193319 (resized).jpg20170417_193319 (resized).jpg

#97 6 years ago

Nice job. Thanks for preserving all of this stuff. Your work will be a great help to future pinball historians.

#98 6 years ago
Quoted from DennisDodel:

Nice job. Thanks for preserving all of this stuff. Your work will be a great help to future pinball historians.

Thank you very much, Dennis! It's been a blast tracking this stuff (and former employees) down all these years, and I do hope it helps many people for years to come.

#99 6 years ago

What a GREAT collection !! A tribute to Alvin G. !!
Great !

My DinosaurEgg is still in NewYork waiting for a space in a container

#100 6 years ago

I came across an AGBGoaWT a few weeks ago. I've got it almost up and running, just tracking down a bad wire/connector I think. I can get the lights, sound, and most functions to work with the exception of plunger and flippers. Can't wait to play this thing!

I had no idea of the history of this company so this thread is very enlightening. Thank you to all those that put in the time and effort.

I'll try extra hard to not ruin anything on this game!!!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Martinez, GA
Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
Machine - For Sale
St Charles, IL
2,650 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Girard, OH
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

There are 372 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 8.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/alvin-g-and-co-a-tribute-to-the-gottlieb-name/page/2?hl=rattmuscle and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.