Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Zablon
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 5 years ago

If anyone else went, I was wondering what your thoughts were on it, and what some of the pinball machine price were. I went but did not stay. After 4 hours of waiting and no pinball machines being auction off by then.... I left.

Thanks!

#2 5 years ago

would like to know also

#3 5 years ago

Well I'll give you my thoughts...

If you were into arcade games you probably loved it. There were at least 200 or more of those.

If you were into pinball there were about, I did not count exactly but I am guessing 40 pins. 5 or 6 Ems and maybe 6-10 solid state and the rest were the more higher end games like Elvira, Tales from the Crypt, Twilight Zone and 3 NIB games Metalica, Revenge from Mars, not sure which one, and a Black Hobbit.

I had a good time playing games that I had never played before, some were not playing for whatever reason.

What I did not like...they would not alternate on the bidding. Example, sell a couple of arcades and then sell a couple of pins. When I left at 1pm, got there at 8 am, they were still doing the arcade stuff and no pins. I thought that kind of sucked

I got tired of waiting and had to get back home for a rescheduled Thanksgiving dinner, or I might have road it out till the end. All in all I had a good time and met some nice people.

Oh well came back with $$ in my pocket for next time maybe.

#4 5 years ago

Somewhere around here someone posted a link where the prices get listed. I was just on it a few days ago but I can't find it.

#5 5 years ago

Every auction I have ever been to saw them auctioning off the pins last. Not sure of the reasoning behind it, but it's the way its always been as far as I know.
    Terry.

#6 5 years ago
    Quoted from pinballlife:

Every auction I have ever been to saw them auctioning off the pins last. Not sure of the reasoning behind it, but it's the way its always been as far as I know.
    Terry.

My guess is they are higher value and more desired. This keeps people there longer to increase potential bidders on the not so desirable items. Sell off all the best stuff first and it'll turn into a ghost town quick.

#7 5 years ago
    Quoted from Slim64:

My guess is they are higher value and more desired. This keeps people there longer to increase potential bidders on the not so desirable items. Sell off all the best stuff first and it'll turn into a ghost town quick.

This is exactly the reason for it. While they are not always last, they are probably never going to be first. You would lose half if not more of your crowd if you jumped right to the high-end items.

#8 5 years ago
    Quoted from Zablon:

Somewhere around here someone posted a link where the prices get listed. I was just on it a few days ago but I can't find it

This is the location...but the prices are not up yet, usually takes about a week: http://coinop411.web44.net/

#9 5 years ago
    Quoted from timab2000:

When I left at 1pm, got there at 8 am, they were still doing the arcade stuff and no pins.

If you are just there for pins, our long-standing tradition is to get there early, grab a bidder number, play and look at all the games...then take off and grab some food and run errands for at least a couple hours and then head back to the auction around noon or slightly after depending on the number of video games. We have been doing this since the late 90s and I think only had an issue missing the pins once (and then they went super high, so didn't really miss anything).

#10 5 years ago
    Quoted from Mhulsebu:

This is the location...but the prices are not up yet, usually takes about a week: http://coinop411.web44.net/

Thanks.

This was the first arcade auction I had attended in many years and it was bigger than any I had been to before. Stuff seemed to be going pretty high, so I assumed the same would hold true for the pins, so we ended up leaving around noon. Still interesting to see what they go for.

#11 5 years ago

Never mind. Wrong linkage.

#12 5 years ago
    Quoted from newovad:

http://coinop411.web44.net/auc.php?evnt=221&page=2&qty=50&sort=Type
    Take the price and add 20% for fees and sales tax combined.
    Their page had a NIB Hobbit listed but I don't see that it sold. That one must have walked off before the auction.

Some nice prices on games there. Congo and ngg especially.
    3rd highest seller was a Diner

#13 5 years ago
    Quoted from newovad:

http://coinop411.web44.net/auc.php?evnt=221&page=2&qty=50&sort=Type

Take the price and add 20% for fees and sales tax combined.

Their page had a NIB Hobbit listed but I don't see that it sold. That one must have walked off before the auction.

These are from last year...this year's auction results have not been uploaded to the site yet.

1 week later
    #15 5 years ago

No surprises there. By the time you add the 13%+7% it's pretty much normal or higher. None of the games were in amazing condition. Most only in 'okay' condition. Kinda why I quit going to these. Prices weren't worth it anymore.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/altoona-iowa-arcade-auction and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.