(Topic ID: 41626)

Alternatives to Beacon Topper on High Speed?

By asapdon

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 24 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Tmezel
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0661.jpg
Police_car.gif
255511878.jpg
255511870.jpg

#1 11 years ago

Has anybody had any luck installing a non OEM flashing beacon topper on a High Speed. Maybe an LED style?? I am missing my topper and am looking for other ideas that would produce a similar effect as the rather expensive original. Anyone seen or tried anything else. Thanks

Don

#2 11 years ago

You may want to look at this thread, all good stuff and ideas that apply here.

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-getaway-pinball-siren-topper

#3 11 years ago

We used 12vdc beacons in my Tomcat. Works and looks fine.

#4 11 years ago

12vdc doesn't work in high speed, it's 24 vdc.

#5 11 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

» YouTube video
We used 12vdc beacons in my Tomcat. Works and looks fine.

I'm not sure what you did there, but I like it...

#6 11 years ago

Heres a couple of pics if mine....led flashers

255511870.jpg255511870.jpg 255511878.jpg255511878.jpg

#7 11 years ago

Yeah, Patofnaud, I read the Getaway thread but the the High Speed is 26 VAC per the schematics. I think I read that Black Rose tried hooking to High Speed and it topper was destroyed. Maybe could use a bridge rectifier to both convert and lower current to 13+/- VDC?? I'm not well versed at electrical stuff, so I was trying to see if anyone has been successful.

Don

#8 11 years ago

I forget exactly what was done. I think we picked up 14vac in the head. Sent 14v ac through the relay(instead of 24v or whatever the beacons normally use), then to a bridge rectifier. Voltage came out 12vdc which went to each of the three individual beacons picked up at autozone.

#9 11 years ago

Yepper, or you could rectify the AC to DC to run a relay, then relay switch generic 12V to the aftermarket beacon so that it would fire just like the original one. Many ways, just have to not run 48VAC to a 12VDC bulb/controllers.

#10 11 years ago

barakandl, Checked out video and will be checking Autozone today for a beacon.

#11 11 years ago

Patofnaud, Thanks for the reply, still trying to figure this out. I have a rectifier (MDA 3501) out of a Atari battlezone game on my bench. Would that work for it and if so how would you hook the original AC line that was to the beacon to it. This rectifier has 4 terminals one marked +, one marked - with the other two unmarked also does the metal base/top of the rectifier need to be grounded to the backplate? Thanks again, any and all help appreciated.

Don

#12 11 years ago

All you electrical guys/gals if the 3501 bridge rectifier is not correct could you point me to the one I need at GPE. Thanks

Don

#13 11 years ago

Don,
I did that on a getaway years ago. the topper was missing so I used a car caution beacon that had a strobe in it. I took a bridge rectifier and 12 volt regulator. the two unmarked side of your bridge is the ac input. connect that to the 24 volt wires from the game use the positive mark to a 12 volt regulator input and then use the negetive from the bridge and the output from the regulator to attach to the beacon. the beacon can be found at most auto parts stores and you can get different color domes some places. My beacon was yellow originally and I put a red dome on it but the blue looks good to.

#14 11 years ago

If you buy the good strobe lights for heavy equipment the voltage is 12 to 84 volts most equipment is 24 volts these strobes will work anywhere in that range of voltages without modification.. I also thought about putting 24 volt flashers inline on my f14 seperate one for each bulb there are some that you can adjust the speed of the flash..

#15 11 years ago

Since I wanted to keep the rotating beacon, I added the red and blue strobes to the left and right top of the backbox ($25 on Ebay)

Added a simple automotive relay in series with the existing automotive relay that triggers the beacon. Supply voltage for the LED lights comes right from the power supply board 12 VDC test point.

Later I borrowed an LED from each of the strobes and added it to a police cruiser mod on the playfield. So now I have the rotating beacon, alternating strobes and alternating red/blue LEDs on the playfield police cruiser all coming on at the same time. Sweet.

#16 11 years ago

Rosco, thanks for the info I was going to hookup the rectifier the other way!! Does the metal base of the rectifier need to grounded or is it inactive??

Don

#17 11 years ago

Jimster, I like your idea on the heavy equipment beacons eliminating the voltage problem. Thanks.

Don

#19 11 years ago

OTTOgd, Now thats a great topper!!! Thanks for sharing.

Don

#20 11 years ago

This is the Way to go !!! I've sold Several Kit's to Getaway members Here . But Not for Highspeed

I have 6 Kits being re-Engineered in Texas .. 5 Kit's will be 4-Sale when they arrive ..

PM me for a Price .. and let me know what State or Country you Live in ..

#21 11 years ago

OTTOgd, Now thats a great topper!!! Thanks for sharing.
Don

Dam rite !! Now that's the Real Deal .....

Police_car.gifPolice_car.gif

#22 11 years ago

I did it nice and easy with this

http://www.amazon.com/Power-Supply-Voltage-Converter-24VAC/dp/B00A2XBT5U/ref=sr_1_8

Then this red w chrome ring. It looks and works better than original.

http://na.suzohapp.com/amusement/acesor/95011510l.htm

2 years later
#23 8 years ago

I used a beacon assembly from a Safecracker. I put a bridge rectifier in line to convert 12 volts ac to 12 volts dc, works great

#24 8 years ago

Asapdon, this is the triac board in the upper right corner of the backbox. If it is the same, I will send you our mod from the Getaway to install.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hs2-blue-flashers-mezelmods

IMG_0661.JPGIMG_0661.JPG

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
4,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dunakeszi

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/alternatives-to-beacon-topper-on-high-speed and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.