(Topic ID: 300280)

Alternative to painting car hood - thick permanent vinyl or......?

By Pinball_Nate

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Pinball_Nate.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 2 years ago

Instead of dropping 1k on a new paint job for a badly peeled Matrix hood, isn't there some type of strong, permanent vinyl or adhesive sheeting that can be applied instead? I've seen cars wrapped in vinyl and can't help but think there is some type of "wrap" that would seal the hood and look decent.

My 08 dark blue Matrix is popping small circles of paint off all across the lower front of the hood, almost as if something splattered on it and caused some type of lifting where the compound touched the paint.

Nate

#7 2 years ago

Thanks everyone for the advice.........isn't there some type of carbon fibre wrap? I have done some searching and cannot find anything - but I swear, with all the souped up rice-burners around, there has got to be something like that around?......

There is zero rust beneath the paint, it is really weird - it is more like an impact (minus the impact of course) where the paint has thickly flaked away from the metal, the metal is looking good (so far) where it is exposed. I wax regularly so that must be helping keep the "elements" out of the affected areas.

northvibe yes, I was considering removing the hood and doing the prep, although I would have to find a shop willing to paint over a surface that they didn't work on themselves.

I wouldn't mind a grey/black carbon fiber look for the hood.

Most of the vinyl wraps I've seen appear to be temporary, and not something that you would leave on permanently - but maybe I got the wrong impression?

More replies please?...............

-Nate

#11 2 years ago

Hmmm, you have a point there PlanetExpress

I always hesitate dealing with junk yards, they always seem so "skeezy." Will try to locate a nice one.

Thanks! Nate

#14 2 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

That's what I was going to suggest. You can grab an extra hood, have it prepped & painted first, then bolt it onto the car for less than the wrap will be. Crazy Ray's and LKQ are right up the road from you

So we got wrapping versus used/replacement hood. Thanks for the suggestions. And I appreciate you pinpointing two places near where I am.

I'll let you guys know what I end up doing. May be a little while - stay tuned!

Best,

Nate

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Pinball_Nate.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/alternative-to-painting-car-hood-thick-permanent-vinyl-or?tu=Pinball_Nate and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.