(Topic ID: 300280)

Alternative to painting car hood - thick permanent vinyl or......?

By Pinball_Nate

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 2 years ago

Instead of dropping 1k on a new paint job for a badly peeled Matrix hood, isn't there some type of strong, permanent vinyl or adhesive sheeting that can be applied instead? I've seen cars wrapped in vinyl and can't help but think there is some type of "wrap" that would seal the hood and look decent.

My 08 dark blue Matrix is popping small circles of paint off all across the lower front of the hood, almost as if something splattered on it and caused some type of lifting where the compound touched the paint.

Nate

#3 2 years ago

Sounds like rust under the paint.
    My Isuzu pickup had this happening for years

#4 2 years ago

Vinyl looks great, but if there is a rust issue underneath it will look bad in a year or two

#5 2 years ago

Wrap needs paint to adhere to.
    Its tough to apply by yourself (I tried).
    I sanded with 220 and painted it Matte Black (spray can lacquer.)
    Came out great.
    The "Black Hood Movement" is growing on the East Coast.

#6 2 years ago

If it is just your hood, and you're okay with it being a slightly different color than the rest of the car. Remove it, sand it and vinyl wrap OR have a paint shop do that and repaint it. If you removed the hood. and had it all ready for them to sand blast it may save some bucks as well.

#7 2 years ago

Thanks everyone for the advice.........isn't there some type of carbon fibre wrap? I have done some searching and cannot find anything - but I swear, with all the souped up rice-burners around, there has got to be something like that around?......

There is zero rust beneath the paint, it is really weird - it is more like an impact (minus the impact of course) where the paint has thickly flaked away from the metal, the metal is looking good (so far) where it is exposed. I wax regularly so that must be helping keep the "elements" out of the affected areas.

northvibe yes, I was considering removing the hood and doing the prep, although I would have to find a shop willing to paint over a surface that they didn't work on themselves.

I wouldn't mind a grey/black carbon fiber look for the hood.

Most of the vinyl wraps I've seen appear to be temporary, and not something that you would leave on permanently - but maybe I got the wrong impression?

More replies please?...............

-Nate

#8 2 years ago

I have seen several hoods painted with the Matte Black Bed coating and they look good.
    Very durable coating, easy to apply.
    Be sure to clean the surface with Naptha after sanding to remove all wax.
    Still would like to try wrap again, the good news is enough 3M 1080 wrap to do your hood would only be 30-45 dollars.
    Some great videos on youtube showing how to do it.
    3M has the carbon fiber,two types. I did my dash trim in the 4K looks killer.
    Ordered from Metrorestyling, great service.

#9 2 years ago

Metro Restyling shows all the styles of 3M, the only Brand I would consider after a lot of research.
    They say you have to apply it over paint, my experience was different.
    I sanded all the clear coat off and then wet sanded with 400 till it was baby smooth.
    Even though I messed it up applying(wrinkles I could not get out with heat gun and squeegee, necessary to have) the stuff was ON THERE.
    It was extremely hard to remove. If there is enough old paint/primer to cling to it will hold.
    Deep pits will telegraph through though.
    The experience of a bad job was worth the 40 bucks in knowledge when I try again (with two people this time)

#10 2 years ago

A Matrix hood is $200 or less from a wrecking yard, you should be able to source a good condition one in matching paint. Four bolts is a lot easier than sanding and wrapping.

#11 2 years ago

Hmmm, you have a point there PlanetExpress

I always hesitate dealing with junk yards, they always seem so "skeezy." Will try to locate a nice one.

Thanks! Nate

#12 2 years ago

In your area, you likely have a lot of vinyl wrap places around. I've had some wrap done before and it's a good idea to wrap the hood - cheaper, faster, will look fine and accomplish you're goal.

Take it to someone and get their expert opinion.

#13 2 years ago
    Quoted from PlanetExpress:

A Matrix hood is $200 or less from a wrecking yard, you should be able to source a good condition one in matching paint. Four bolts is a lot easier than sanding and wrapping.

That's what I was going to suggest. You can grab an extra hood, have it prepped & painted first, then bolt it onto the car for less than the wrap will be. Crazy Ray's and LKQ are right up the road from you

#14 2 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

That's what I was going to suggest. You can grab an extra hood, have it prepped & painted first, then bolt it onto the car for less than the wrap will be. Crazy Ray's and LKQ are right up the road from you

So we got wrapping versus used/replacement hood. Thanks for the suggestions. And I appreciate you pinpointing two places near where I am.

I'll let you guys know what I end up doing. May be a little while - stay tuned!

Best,

Nate

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/alternative-to-painting-car-hood-thick-permanent-vinyl-or and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.