Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 52 posts
  • 36 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Scorch
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

images (resized).jpeg
    Unknown (resized).jpeg
    rambo-first-blood-part-2-1985-fine-artist (resized).jpg
    IMG_20161130_204505 (resized).jpg
    44328580_1694610333978604_2946421790680809472_n (resized).jpg

There are 52 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 5 years ago

I have access to some really great print machines allowing me to produce translites fairly easily. I plan on custom artwork for titles that could use a little love in the backbox. With that being said, which titles are in the most need of an upgraded translite? Give me some ideas folks!!!

#3 5 years ago
    Quoted from TheRave:

I have access to some really great print machines allowing me to produce translites fairly easily. I plan on custom artwork for titles that could use a little love in the backbox. With that being said, which titles are in the most need of an upgraded translite? Give me some ideas folks!!!

Sounds great and i'm sure you will get plenty of suggestions. The main issue i have found with alternative translites in the past is that a lot of them don't take into account the backboard plan of where the lighting is situated. This can have some weird and unwanted side effects where the LED/globe behind a certain area just doesn't match up or highlights an area that is intended to be darker. Just a thought

#5 5 years ago

DW - some alternative exists already but surely it can be done even better.
    Same with TOTAN.

#6 5 years ago

I could go for a BSD and STTNG translite

#9 5 years ago
    #10 5 years ago

BSD, but well done.

Art and color scheme match the playfield and cabinet, and take into consideration the backbox light scheme.

RussM

#11 5 years ago

Last Action Hero
    Most modern sterns
    Most early SS Gottlieb

#12 5 years ago

Flash. Man that thing is just awful, considering how many of them they sold!

#13 5 years ago

Monster Bash! I would love a translite with the actual monsters in there

#17 5 years ago

Ghostbusters

#18 5 years ago

Getaway!!

#19 5 years ago

I’d love a Walking Dead translite with the TV series cast on it to go with the premium/ pro side graphics. The stock backglasses are a bit much for kids that come into the game room.

#20 5 years ago

Will your resolution be high enough to prevent pixilation?

#21 5 years ago
    Quoted from Pball:

I’d love a Walking Dead translite with the TV series cast on it to go with the premium/ pro side graphics. The stock backglasses are a bit much for kids that come into the game room.

Even better would be artwork from the graphic novels...

#22 5 years ago

How about Fish Tales?
    Johnny mnemonic?

#23 5 years ago

Could not AGREE more.
    Nothing against Stryker, but I would like one that has more to do with soccer in general or the tournament itself.

#24 5 years ago

I think this would be appropriate for all Star Treks.

44328580_1694610333978604_2946421790680809472_n (resized).jpg44328580_1694610333978604_2946421790680809472_n (resized).jpg
    #25 5 years ago

8 Ball Deluxe. No offense to the cool cowboy with the toothpick. But I’d rather have something featuring Jeanette Lee.

#26 5 years ago
    Quoted from xsvtoys:

8 Ball Deluxe. No offense to the cool cowboy with the toothpick. But I’d rather have something featuring Jeanette Lee.

They have that one already

https://www.marcospecialties.com//images/products/830-5272-00/large.jpg

#27 5 years ago

Working on BSD. WCS seems doable. JM too.

Fishtales is an amazing backglass IMO.

#28 5 years ago

I’ve been looking for a good alternate for WPT. There’s a guy that has some on eBay but they all look cheesy

#29 5 years ago

That’s pretty nice!

I presume that with these digital setups coming online, one-offs will be possible at reasonable prices? That is, if you can manage to produce some artwork with sufficient resolution you could just send in the digital file and get your own custom translite?

There is no magic to the resolution, just define the total size and the dpi. There IS magic in producing good artwork, that takes some skill. But if you are just making one for your own self and it’s crappy artwork, well you could still get it if YOU like it, it would be no one else’s business.

There would be interesting questions about doing one-offs, such as with copyright. I presume (but just guessing here) that if you sell a one-off to someone for profit, standard rules apply. For example, you can’t just use Jeanette Lee’s image without permission. Or any other protected material such as movies, bands, etc.

#30 5 years ago

I can easily make one offs like you're saying. These do not need to be batch run prints.

#31 5 years ago

alternate potc.

IMG_20161130_204505 (resized).jpgIMG_20161130_204505 (resized).jpg
    #32 5 years ago

What do you print the translite on? Is it a Mylar material?

#33 5 years ago
    Quoted from TheRave:

I can easily make one offs like you're saying. These do not need to be batch run prints.

Awesome. I guess we can specify the overall dimensions as needed, and then just need the suitable dpi for the image file (also the desired image file format such as JPG or other). Is 300 dpi required?

#34 5 years ago

Please make this with RAMBO in text somewhere on it/bottom, for an alternate for terrible Raven.

thanks (if you can seriously do it, PM me)
    rambo-first-blood-part-2-1985-fine-artist (resized).jpgrambo-first-blood-part-2-1985-fine-artist (resized).jpg

#35 5 years ago

Doctor Who

#36 5 years ago
    Quoted from shacklersrevenge:

Please make this with RAMBO in text somewhere on it/bottom, for an alternate for terrible Raven.
    [quoted image]

Adding text to the bottom of that would be a simple job for any graphic designer or probably anyone who can half run Photoshop. I think you would need a higher-resolution source for that image though. Its only 72 dpi at around 8x10" as you have it there, it would have to be blown up and then you start getting fuzziness/pixellation.

#38 5 years ago

I had a local sign printer do an alternate translite for my POTC and the color contrast is just washed out. I would be interested in one for POTC.

#40 5 years ago
    Quoted from shacklersrevenge:

[quoted image]

The Raven translite reminds me of the "Annihilator 2000" promo video in Beverly Hills Cop 3. I would replace the original translite with something along those lines. Every bit as cheesy, but with some humor and a deep cut to pretty funny movie.

Unknown (resized).jpegUnknown (resized).jpegimages (resized).jpegimages (resized).jpeg
    #41 5 years ago

Are you printing the translites yourself or having them printed somewhere else? I've thought about making my own translites but just don't know a good quality printing place that wouldn't make them look terrible.

#42 5 years ago

Any progress on BSD ?

2 weeks later
    1 month later
    #45 5 years ago
    Quoted from TheRave:

How's that BSD translite coming along?

#46 5 years ago

How much $$ for a print of 1 and how much for 5(discount?).

Assuming we provide the ready to print graphics file? File format?

Thx

3 months later
    #47 4 years ago

Love to see your BSD! Looking for options as I restore my machine

4 months later
    #48 4 years ago

Any news about a potential World Cup Soccer ?

#49 4 years ago

I'm thinking this thread is dead. OP hasn't posted anything but a couple machine sale ads in the past 4 months and no responses to thoughts or questions in this thread at all for over 10.

I inquired a few months back whether the OPs access to his printing equipment would allow for printing of translites others may have developed as well. No response.

Move along.....nothing to see here......

#50 4 years ago

does anyone have experience with some generic backlit printing like this:
    https://posterprintshop.com/backlit-film/

it should work well for a translite, no ?
    and the price seems good: $8 per square foot

There are 52 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/alternate-translites-1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.