(Topic ID: 180047)

Alternate tool to re-pin system 1 connectors?

By kobayashimaru

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by NicToria
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

Greetings!
I'm currently working on getting a Charlie's Angels up and running. I was in the process of rebuilding the MPU to driver board harness and I snapped the tip off of the Molex pin extractor tool trying to remove a stuck contact. Has anyone here used something else successfully to do the job? I'd rather not have to pay another $15 and wait three days to get going again.

Thanks!
Joe

#2 7 years ago

I've seen a couple folks grind down some spring steel.

#3 7 years ago

Hammer down a paperclip to get it thinner. Grind the sides if it's too wide.

#4 7 years ago

I've used a jewelers screw driver in a pinch. I think I may have gotten it out of a watch repair kit from Harbor Freight.

#5 7 years ago

Jewelers screwdrivers work perfectly. I prefer them over the Molex extraction tool to be honest. Those can be pesky connectors to remove.

#6 7 years ago

I ground down an allen wrench to work. Problem is you have to be careful about not putting the tool in too far or you can damage the housing clip.

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from kobayashimaru:

Greetings!
I'm currently working on getting a Charlie's Angels up and running. I was in the process of rebuilding the MPU to driver board harness and I snapped the tip off of the Molex pin extractor tool trying to remove a stuck contact. Has anyone here used something else successfully to do the job? I'd rather not have to pay another $15 and wait three days to get going again.
Thanks!
Joe

Same thing happened to me. I thought since the tool is now "junk", why not try to regrind it back to same point/shape? A few minutes on the grinder and I had a shorter tool that still worked. Actually, it has lasted longer in its current form then it did from the factory

1 week later
#9 7 years ago

Wow! Everyone has these laying around. I cut an old leaf switch down with a pair of metal cutters and file the edges. Takes a couple minutes to make.

#10 7 years ago

What I can't figure out is why Molex thinks these things are worth that much. These should be a couple bucks - tops.
Tried to get some custom made by a local tool and die shop. I thought a generic handle with replaceable tips would be a great idea. They promptly spaced me off...

2 weeks later
#11 7 years ago

Thanks for the input everyone! I ended up going to Harbor Freight and found an electrical probe kit, which basically look like dental tools. There are 5 different types in the package, 3 of which fit in the housing to disengage the retainer. Considering the kit was $3.49 and considering the questionable quality of HF tools, I bought several sets, considering I have at least 100 more contacts to replace. I also ended up splurging on completely new MPU to driver board and power supply to MPU harnesses. Hopefully this will go a bit faster now.

Thanks again for your help!
Joe

#12 7 years ago

I second Ed, Molex way overcharges for this tool.

#13 7 years ago

I make pics out of windshield wiper blade inserts. The metal piece that is in the wiper blade. A piece of round wood dowell. Still hole, insert metal in there. Gorilla glue and you can grind it into any shape you need to pick.

#14 7 years ago

Still is drill.

#15 7 years ago

That molex pin extractor tool is a flimsy piece of crap that doesn't even work very well because it's so flimsy. Hated it. I went to Menards and bought the smallest regular screw driver they had. It's a billion times more sturdy and works great!

#16 7 years ago

We are doing the same thing... Is there a great crimp tool to re-pin the Edge Connectors.. ?? THX> For all the responses so far on getting the pins out ..

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 4.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball
Decals
$ 7.50
Electronics
That Old Pinball
Electronics
$ 89.00
Electronics
That Old Pinball
Electronics
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
$ 120.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball
Decorations

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/alternate-tool-to-re-pin-system-1-connectors?hl=mikep28 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.