(Topic ID: 115467)

Alright, Pinside, you just convinced me to get a Mustang LE!

By frolic

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 140 posts
  • 64 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by RobT
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20141209_082614.jpg
IMG_20141209_082523.jpg
IMG_20150120_111601.jpg
IMG_1013.JPG
whiny.jpg
IMG_0989.JPG
IMG_0993.JPG
IMG_0998.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider superjackpot.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#64 9 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Had 25 people over for my league tonight and Mustang went over really well with everyone. Most people have the same reaction... surprise they like it.

As a regular member of the league, I was one of those 25 people at Frolic's last night. I've played the Pro a number of times in other leagues, and very early on at Papa HQ.

The LE is more of what was already a decent game. Love the multi level left ramp with its different exit points. The variety of targets used by the mode objectives is refreshing. Those orbit standup targets that appear from nowhere are evil The rotating car is too large. Players of various height had to stand higher to see the double stacked lanes up top. I don't recall this on the pro.

Yet, my Mustang experience did not go so well. Wish I could have endured long enough to play more than two games. Despite requests to the contrary from his guests (league members at that), Frolic is adamant about keeping his game room pitch black dark with no ambient light source. I found the combined strobing of LEDs from this game/all games too much strain on my eyes. White ceiling and glossy dark painted walls just exacerbate the effect. Had to leave early as a result. I wasn't the only one.

Frolic's position: "His house, his rules." So I said I won't be back. Shame.

#67 9 years ago

Mike_J. Yes, all true.

Rob T - you don't have cry for me.

#69 9 years ago
Quoted from CraigC:

Bring a head lamp next time
-c

Lol, I did just that. It was the second time there for league play. I asked permission last time... if it would be ok to bring something, so I did. Fashioned something out of a light I use to service my games. Clipped to my chest. It helped a bit but not enough to overcome the overall room effect. Looked silly but I'm very, very serious about this issue.

Most people don't understand the effect at play and dismiss it as poor eyes and such, or just plain whining as RobT so quickly concluded. The fact is my eyesight is 'faster' than average. Just google 'wiki flicker fusion threshold' and read the article.

IMG_20150120_111601.jpgIMG_20150120_111601.jpg
#73 9 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

That's to bad, some people are just more sensitive to light then others. I have friends that can't work in a room with floresent lights because the flicker of the lights give them headaches.

Ya, it's a real phenomenon. Some people got physically sick when the Macbook pro switched to led backlighting in 2008. Dimming screens induced flickering. I once worked under some old fluorescent lighting too and felt the tired all the time... etc. Moved near a window and all was well again.

The solution is simple. You need a little ambient light, or steady lighting within your game to fill in the dark spaces between the flickering.

#77 9 years ago
Quoted from FrederikFrost:

Before complaining too much, make sure that the majority feels like you do, so it's not the minority ruining it for the majority. Ultimatively I think you should be able to find a compromise, if the majority agrees with you.

That was done already. Spoke to other league execs and members. By my own informal poll of about 2/3 of the people I did speak to last night, I found 9 people that had some issue with the flickering/dark room. Not a majority (yet) but regardless, I'll take my lumps in the standings and won't go again. Chris won't be changing his mind.

And I do understand the enjoyment of the lights and a dark room. It is really cool, especially when a game throws enough light all on its own. My gameroom is all on dimmers. I play my ST Pro Refinery edition in the dark. Full leds. No issues for me. But it has extra lighting, some examples below. More GI LED strips under the ship and in the top back.

It's not the light level per se, it's the flickering that remains.

IMG_20141209_082523.jpgIMG_20141209_082523.jpg IMG_20141209_082614.jpgIMG_20141209_082614.jpg
#78 9 years ago

Sorry for hijacking though. Subject needs its own thread.

#97 9 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

I can appreciate your issue but shouldn't this be brought up within the league?
Posting complaints on the guys Mustang thread seems a bit of a dick move.
I think I would be insulted if I had been the host.

PM sent.

#107 9 years ago
Quoted from Jared:

Anyone who "walks out" of a room where you have been invited to play with $50,000+ in toys for free... lol... no-one is going to be able to make that guy happy.

You are not getting your facts straight.

This was a scheduled league night. Those were members in attendance. Members pay a fee to play for the season. We pay the host an entrance fee each night we attend. This was competitive play, not a friendly or casual invitation to play pinball at someone's house.

I am a host for this league as well. $50000+ and all that (as if that matters)... In my home I will go out of my way to make guests feel comfortable. It's called being a gracious host and is how I was brought up.

#108 9 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Incorrect. 5 second rule trumps it.
But I thought we were done with game room lighting and league office politics and were back to talking OP's new Mustang.

Nope I'm getting dragged back into it. Sorry.

5 second rule . I like that.

But it's my last post on 'that' subject in this thread.

Mustang looks to be a great game. Please carry on.

1 week later
#132 9 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

So if frolic wanted the lights off you would let him.

If he and/or others complained the lights were too bright and giving them headaches etc., I would dim the lights until they were no longer too bright. Most certainly. Every light is on a dimmer to allow for adjustments.

If my game room ended up dark, so be it. Any game that has a significant number of LEDs is fitted with extra in game lighting to mitigate strobing. I play games in the dark as well. It really is game specific and dependent on how you LED your game(s).

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

13,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Calgary, AB
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Wichita, KS
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider superjackpot.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/alright-pinside-you-just-convinced-me-to-get-a-mustang-le?tu=superjackpot and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.