Topic Stats

• 503 posts
  • 181 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 71 days ago by pinballlife
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 5 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20151031_175612.jpg
image.jpeg
image.jpg
166220-i.jpg
166219-i.jpg

There are 503 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 11.
#1 4 years ago

Until today, I have had zero attraction to WOZ. The movie was long before my time, and the on screen witch seemed a little contrived in the short clips I watched. However, today, I spent some more time and watched a video shot by John from John's arcade and I was floored. I love the Outland minigames(edit) to earn your ball back, the LEDs are astounding and change the mood. All the toys look fun. Real wood as the Apron, true luxury materials. This game looks amazing... I know I am late to the party on this discussion. It seemed lots of people wrote it off as boring and slow. But, isn't that kind of the beauty of it? The stop and go play? Can I get some more honest opinions from owners. I've read the archive posts already, just want to hear more...

#2 4 years ago

I have only put about 3 games on a Red Ruby Woz but I thought it was a blast. Beautiful and lot to do!! But someone who has played it a lot more is probably more qualified to answer.

#3 4 years ago

I love mine , haven't touched my SM since and it might be on kijiji soon

#4 4 years ago
Quoted from ls1chris:

How long have you had it?

#5 4 years ago

Go
Play
It.

#6 4 years ago

WOZ is a ton of fun, and challenging all over the extensive playfield. And, when set up properly, it is fast as hell and pretty lively. But, mine did not come with an Outland minivan.

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from StevenP:

WOZ is a ton of fun, and challenging all over the extensive playfield. And, when set up properly, it is fast as hell and pretty lively. But, mine did not come with an Outland minivan.

I don't get this reference? Fill me in please

#8 4 years ago

It's not 7500 fun.

#9 4 years ago

Yeah, it is pretty pricey. I see getting one anytime in the near future being a bit of a trick. I got my foot in the door of the hobby picking up a non working t2, and fixing it on my dime. If I put away 40 bucks a week, and sold my t2 I'd realistically be 2 years away from one... Sigh.

#10 4 years ago

It has it's moments but I still enjoy not owning one.

#11 4 years ago
Quoted from StevenP:

The videos I've seen it looked plenty lively, I'll bet not being as "fast" as other machines saves some wear and year on plastics, ramps, and basically the whole machine.

#12 4 years ago

the theme, cool for my 94 year old grandma. the machine and gameplay is super dope imo.

#13 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinball-Pat:

I don't get this reference? Fill me in please

See the OP above.

Quoted from Pinball-Pat:

The videos I've seen it looked plenty lively, I'll bet not being as "fast" as other machines saves some wear and year on plastics, ramps, and basically the whole machine.

The ball moves just as fast as on any new game. (It would easily be FASTER if I cranked the coil strengths up, which I do not want to do because I don't want to break plastics.) Slingshots, pops, flippers move the ball around just as fast as any recent Stern game does. (Then again, the flippers and slings on my GTB Gold Strike EM do as well.)

#14 4 years ago

It's the greatest pinball machine ever made in my opinion. Tons to do, extremely deep code, amazing art and sound and an overall blast to play. I'll never get rid of mine.

#15 4 years ago

I have had the chance to play it a bunch. I have to say at first I thought it looked amazing. But now I can't bring myself to play it.

It has lots to do. But I find it a lot slower than newer Sterns or some Williams pins.
Im not a fan of the theme either. It just doesnt make me want to play just one more time like other pins do.

So as it stands now I don't ever see myself owning one.

Don't get me wrong, it is a good game.

I feel the same about TZ, and TSPP.

#16 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

It's the greatest pinball machine ever made in my opinion. Tons to do, extremely deep code, amazing art and sound and an overall blast to play. I'll never get rid of mine.

Yeah, the thing that has really grabbed me so far is the sound. Reminds me a lot of modern flashy Vegas slot machines. (In a good way) The chimes and slingshot sounds. Really like no other machine I've ever heard.

#17 4 years ago
Quoted from erak:

I have had the chance to play it a bunch. I have to say at first I thought it looked amazing. But now I can't bring myself to play it.
It has lots to do. But I find it a lot slower than newer Sterns or some Williams pins.
Im not a fan of the theme either. It just doesnt make me want to play just one more time like other pins do.
So as it stands now I don't ever see myself owning one.
Don't get me wrong, it is a good game.
I feel the same about TZ, and TSPP.

Is there a place you play it on route? It it kept up properly?

#18 4 years ago

Woz is in a league of its own. I owned an early LE then sold it for no reason other than money at the time. Then I got a nib back again over this past summer. I didn't play it a whole bunch and recently started to think of trading it. Now, I am making myself play it and I am kinda hooked. If you only push start and throw the ball around then you may not get anywhere and quickly think that "Woz Sucks". Well, I assure you it does not. It is incredibly deep. Probably too deep for my skill level but, now that I am playing with goals in mind I like the game so much more. Trying to beat rescue multi ball or Kill the witch is quite satisfying. I have grown very fond of the game play though it is very different than say a new fast two ramp stern machine. I have decided that I am not ready to part with it at this point as it is keeping me intrigued. The total package is the absolute best of any pin ever. Even if you don't like the theme Nobody can deny that it is implemented extremely well. The music and lighting changes are next to none.
I say jump. You can always trade it later.

#19 4 years ago
Quoted from Nevus:

It's not 7500 fun

No pin is. I haven't played a ton of WOZ, but from what I've seen its pretty good.

#20 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinball-Pat:

Yeah, it is pretty pricey. I see getting one anytime in the near future being a bit of a trick. I got my foot in the door of the hobby picking up a non working t2, and fixing it on my dime. If I put away 40 bucks a week, and sold my t2 I'd realistically be 2 years away from one... Sigh.

T2 was my first pin also - fun game! Imho WOZ is in a league of its own and worth the price.

#22 4 years ago

I'm a non-owner. I love the WOZ game play. Great game in my view.

#23 4 years ago

In my opinion the WOZ is the best overall pinball game to date. It should be rated in the top five, if not ever number 1.

It has something for the entire family, the beginning player to the expert player and keeps everyone engaged with the LCD monitor (although JJP could have put more clips or music from the movie).

It's innovations have met or exceeded previous games and the quality of the build is excellent.

The feminine theme may set it back in this male dominated hobby, but if you're a guy and willing to overlook that, then this game is engrossing, challenging and yes, extremely fun.

#24 4 years ago

The woz is off the hook

#25 4 years ago

WOZ is my favorite only complaint I have is the flippers sound louder than my other games. I have had it for about a year now and there is still modes I have not completed yet so keeps me coming back.

#26 4 years ago

Surprisingly it is a very fun game. I didn't want to beleive it either until I played one. I would buy a WOZ if one popped up at a reasonable price.

#27 4 years ago
Quoted from Nevus:

It's not 7500 fun.

There's not another newer machine out there out that price point that offers as much as WOZ. Best value in the high end pinball group for what you get.

#28 4 years ago

I don't think any new pin will ever have as much stuff on it like woz.

#29 4 years ago

@OP: your experience is similar to mine. I had several opportunities to play WOZ on location when it first came out. I never really enjoyed it and even left walked away from some unused credits on the machine.

More than a year later, I watched a video explaining the rules. After that, I couldn't get enough and now I am an owner.

I think the breadth and depth of the rules is simply too much to figure out on the fly. But with just a little bit of knowledge, everything begins to make sense. I suggest ignoring the old rule of "aim for the blinky light". The monitor is where a player needs to look to see what is happening among the many stackable modes.

#30 4 years ago

WOZ is flat out amazing. I've owned mine for 4 or 5 months now...incredible game. Down right evil in its play. Love it. Those who dismiss it on theme alone are completely missing out. So many cool touches...the witch appearing in the crystal ball and switching which flipper the flipper buttons operate? Yup...lots of stuff like that.

It's A+

#31 4 years ago

16 months later it still kicks my ass, is a challenge for sure, and my best NIB purchase....
Worth every penny and more!

#32 4 years ago

Have owned mine for over a year and still love it and find it both fun and challenging. However, would caution anyone who wants tons of flow that might read this, it might not be the best game for flow lovers.

#33 4 years ago

Hard to think of a worse, more off-putting theme. I'd take Bad Girls, Raven, and even Hard Body well over it theme-wise.

#34 4 years ago
Quoted from coasterguy:

I don't think any new pin will ever have as much stuff on it like woz.

I think that's why I've been bummed with The Hobbit reveal so far. JJP set the bar so high with WOZ. Even when the initial playfield designs for TH were released many thought that Smaug would interact with the ball, that there may be an underground playfield and some other tricks such as the Windlance toy being a motorized canon. $7500+ is a ton of money for a pinball machine and I can't help but to compare games at that price point or higher to WOZ.

WOZ is literally a blast from the past in my eyes (with newer tech) in that it seems like a game from an era where games were loaded such as Indiana Jones, STTNG, and Twilight Zone.

#35 4 years ago

Great playing and beautiful game but the theme keeps me from buying one. I'd certainly take one as a gift though.

#36 4 years ago

Seems like the majority of the negative feedback was when Jjp appeared to be facing some hurdles getting their games built. Hope hobbit is amazing and a bunch of these have to "compete" in the used market. Too early to say, but woz almost looks like more machine than the hobbit. I know, not totally fair to say...

#37 4 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

So many cool touches...the witch appearing in the crystal ball and switching which flipper the flipper buttons operate?

What, are you serious? I remember reading this idea in the proposed "pinball gremlins" game, but had no idea woz did this. That soooo cool!

#38 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinball-Pat:

Seems like the majority of the negative feedback was when Jjp appeared to be facing some hurdles getting their games built. Hope hobbit is amazing and a bunch of these have to "compete" in the used market. Too early to say, but woz almost looks like more machine than the hobbit. I know, not totally fair to say...

I didn't want to admit it for the longest time but in my eyes WOZ offers far more then The Hobbit. No amount of drop targets will ever be as fun as two mini playfields, underground playfield magnets, mini outlane games and a motorized toy that picks up a ball and delivers it to a mini playfield.

TH needed to at least have Smaug interact with the ball and another interactive toy such as a motorized canon for the Windlance to be on the same level as WOZ in my opinion. I think TH will still be a fun game but that it won't offer as much for the money as WOZ does.

#39 4 years ago
Quoted from Nevus:

It's not 7500 fun.

You're right. It's $9000 fun.

#40 4 years ago
Quoted from ls1chris:

Its the one game I wont sell either.

#41 4 years ago

WOZ is a tough game, and deep....ideal for home use. Mine is fast. A little bit stop and go like TZ, but I don't mind that.

In terms of build quality, overall finish, lighting, toys there is not one modern machine that comes even close. It is expensive but extremely good value. In Australia it is the same price as a Stern LE, and you can not compare the 2.

I can see how the theme may throw some people off.....if this was Twilight Zone 2, it would easily be in the top 5 rated machines. Once you get past the theme, it's in another league. After a couple of months, I actually dont mind the theme - it is perfectly integrated into the game. But I dont buy on theme - I own Metallica and ACDC and I dont like either of those bands. Its about playing pinball, not admiring cabinets and backglasses.

I agree with a previous post that you will most likely not see another game built to this standard with this much on it.

Get one now!

#42 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinball-Pat:

What, are you serious? I remember reading this idea in the proposed "pinball gremlins" game, but had no idea woz did this. That soooo cool!

If you're referring to the reversed-flipper mode, it's now programmed as the last (5th) crystal ball mode (after lights out, lights on, weak flipper, and no-hold flipper). I've had reversed flippers with a stacked multiball and it was pretty insane!

#43 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I didn't want to admit it for the longest time but in my eyes WOZ offers far more then The Hobbit. No amount of drop targets will ever be as fun as two mini playfields, underground playfield magnets, mini outlane games and a motorized toy that picks up a ball and delivers it to a mini playfield.
TH needed to have Smaug interact with the ball or at least a main toy that could and another toy such as a motorized canon for the Windlance to be on the same level as WOZ in my opinion. I think TH will still be a fun game but that it won't offer as much for the money as WOZ does.

Have to disagree, even though all assumptions of TH are without merit as none of us have played a final version with an understanding of the rule set yet, the fact is that a loaded playfield doesn't always mean a great pin and vice versa. Look at AFM which by appearance is quite baron but it is way better than dozens of other jammed packed pinballs that lack the feel and gameplay, rules and fun factor that AFM has, plus for many of us the theme of WOZ simply kills that pin no matter how well it plays or how much stuff is on the playfield. For me anyway theme is quite important, right there with gameplay and rules. JMO

#44 4 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Have to disagree, even though all assumptions of TH are without merit as none of us have played a final version with an understanding of the rule set yet, the fact is that a loaded playfield doesn't always mean a great pin and vice versa. Look at AFM which by appearance is quite baron but it is way better than dozens of other jammed packed pinballs that lack the feel and gameplay, rules and fun factor that AFM has, plus for many of us the theme of WOZ simply kills that pin no matter how well it plays or how much stuff is on the playfield. For me anyway theme is quite important, right there with gameplay and rules. JMO

AFM has a motorized target bank with a target behind it and a drop off area to hit. That is far more interactive then anything on TH's playfield in my opinion. I understand if Smaug couldn't be hit due to the license but why not at least have a motorized target bank in front of him with a shot behind it?

I agree that I'll need to play the game (with some mature code) to properly judge the game. I'm looking forward to seeing the updated Smaug model in the game and all of the cool call outs for the toy.

#45 4 years ago

To be honest, I don't like it. Have had it or seven months now and don't think I have put ten games on it since Labor Day. It just has no appeal to me. It also gets very little love from my friends. A friend of mine bought it, but seems to have second thoughts and he has left it sitting here for months. Granted he has been traveling to Europe most of that time, but I wish he would get it out of here! Considering that I like DMD, SS and EM games, I could easily list 100 machines I like better.

#46 4 years ago

I don't remember where I read it, but one pinhead said that the hobbit didn't look like "it's own world under the glass" the same way Woz does. That really made a lot of sense to me. Looking into the woz table, It does really look like one world. Hobbit (although early) looks like a steel ramp, two battle axes and a pair of whack a moles. I don't feel like it's all tied together quite the same. That said, its going to play like a rocket ship.

#47 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

AFM has a motorized target bank with a target behind that to hit. That is far more interactive then anything on TH's playfield.

I think a talking dragon and 4 pop ups with all the possibilities that the drop targets could offer is a step up or at least equal to that of AFM's target bank and another target behind it. I think we both want the Hobbit to be great and trust me if WOZ was done from the beginning as lets say Evil dead with the spinning house and clips from that film on the LCD etc. I would have one for sure.

#48 4 years ago
Quoted from StevenP:

If you're referring to the reversed-flipper mode, it's now programmed as the last (5th) crystal ball mode (after lights out, lights on, weak flipper, and no-hold flipper). I've had reversed flippers with a stacked multiball and it was pretty insane!

That must have been crazy. What score did you end up with?

Those Crystal Ball modes are all fantastic.

The only thing hat annoys me about this game is the shot down behind the pops (I cant remember what its called) because its completely random.

#49 4 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

I think a talking dragon and 4 pop ups with all the possibilities that the drop targets could offer is a step up or at least equal to that of AFM's target bank and another target behind it. I think we both want the Hobbit to be great and trust me if WOZ was done from the beginning as lets say Evil dead with the spinning house and clips from that film on the LCD etc. I would have one for sure.

Good points. Looking forward to seeing what Keith and Ted do code wise for the game. I'm hoping to get a chance to play TH at the Michigan Pinball Expo. JJP has come to the MPE the past few years so hopefully they will be there this year as well with a Hobbit!

#50 4 years ago

Thanks for the contributions guys, I've learned a bunch more about this pin that no ones videos had posted yet.. The crystal ball flipper modes sound fun. I think it's solved, you may not love the theme, but YES, Woz is fun!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 12.99
$ 16.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 40.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
Machine - For Sale
Milford, CT
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pin Mods
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Jacksonville , FL
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pittsburgh, PA
$ 165.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games
$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 9,500.00
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 42.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 42.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
There are 503 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 11.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside