• Latest reply 3 years ago by Heaterguy
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

River Boat Score Reel reset (resized).jpg
#1 3 years ago

Hi all, I’m new to repairing EM’s but have a lot of experience with SS machines. A friend offered me an Alpine Club that’s not working correctly so I figured why not give it a shot?

Left flipper turns the game on and the start button starts the game. The ball ejects into the shooter lane and all targets work. The problem is, there is no coin mech (cut wires hanging at door), controlled lights aren’t working and when a game starts, score doesn’t reset. Also, it doesn’t appear that a game ever ends. I can drain 20 times and the ball keeps popping into the shooter lane and the score keeps incrementing.

The machine itself is pretty clean and I’ve given all the switches the once over and a cleaned them anyway and all fuses are good. Really not sure where to start with this having no experience. I’ve read over the repair guide on pinrepair.com and haven’t been successful in finding the issue(s). Any guidance is appreciated.

#2 3 years ago

Do you have a schematic for this game? It will help in the long run. Here's part of the schematic for Williams River Boat which may be similar.
River Boat Score Reel reset (resized).jpgRiver Boat Score Reel reset (resized).jpg
Some of your issues may be related so I'll stick with the score reels not resetting for now. The way that should work is that when you start a new game the Coin relay (not shown) fires briefly which toggles a Make/Break switch (1) which in turn fires the Reset relay (2). That causes the Score Motor (not shown) to start running. That seems to be working in your game. The Coin relay relaxes immediately but the Reset relay should stay active for a while.

When the Coin relay relaxes the Make/Break switch (1) returns to its default position shown in the drawing. Since the Reset relay is still active a Normally Open switch on the Reset relay (3) is closed. As the Score Motor turns the Impulse A switch on the Score Motor (4) closes five times each time the Score Motor turns 180 degrees which pulses the Score Reset relay (5) five times for each half revolution of the Score Motor. I suspect that's not happening on your game.

Each time the Score Reset relay pulses it closes a set of switches like (6) above which should send pulses to the 0 to 9 Drum Unit, or 1 point Score Reel until the Score Reel reaches zero when the Zero Position switch (7) opens to block any more pulses. There are similar circuits for the other Score Reels not shown.

The Reset relay and Score Reset relay should stay active until all of the Score Reels reach zero and each of their other Zero Position switches (8) open. Once all of the Score Reels have reached zero the Reset relay should remain active until the Normally Closed switch on the Score Motor (9) opens near the end of a Score Motor cycle.

You may have two problems to investigate here:
- Is the Score Reset relay pulsing and trying to reset the Score Reels?
- Why does the Reset relay relax before all the Score Reels are zero?

/Mark

#3 3 years ago

Thanks Mark, very helpful. I do not have the schematics unfortunately. No, the score reset relay is not pulsing or trying to pulse at game start.

Also noticed that none of the backbox lamps change state... I.e. ball 1 is always lit not matter how many drains.

#4 3 years ago

I have the schematic for this game send me a private message and give me your email I can email you a PDF copy mine needs a back glass. Any chance yours is in good enough condition that you could take Hi-Def pictures of the front and back and send to me so I can make a translite?

#5 3 years ago

The replay unit handles ball count. When the ball goes into the trough it trips a trough switch number one that kicks it up and over the rail and trip switch number two, which advances replay unit and ball count light. I would check the number 2 switch in the trough first to make sure it is good and making contact then start looking at the replay unit

#6 3 years ago

Just about every old "as found" EM game has gummed up steppers and score reels. They need to be mechanically free for the game to function correctly. The ball count unit is a stepper which is often found gummed up. That's probably why the game never ends, because it's not counting out the balls. All of these mechanical components needs to be disassembled and cleaned up, so that they move freely.

#7 3 years ago
Quoted from Heaterguy:

The replay unit handles ball count. When the ball goes into the trough it trips a trough switch number one that kicks it up and over the rail and trip switch number two, which advances replay unit and ball count light. I would check the number 2 switch in the trough first to make sure it is good and making contact then start looking at the replay unit

yeah I was mistaken it seemed odd to me that the replay it would have anything to do with ball count and I was mistaken because they are side by side and I thought it was advancing it is the one next to the replay unit my sticker is missing but I'm assuming it's a ball count unit
Sorry for the bad information

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/alpine-club-help-needed?hl=heaterguy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.