You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Stepper_Spring2 (resized).jpg
F and B circuit (resized).png
32F2EBC6-5E01-4F16-9C1B-B88801FE078D (resized).jpeg

#1 3 years ago

Ok guys - last issue with my Aloha! The game plays and almost everything is great - except - when you get the skill shot down the gobble hole it gets stuck in a cycle. What seems to be happening is that the “B” relay should fire after the “F” relay which releases the loop. The B relay fires as it should during play EXCEPT after the gobble hole switch is activated. See video next post. The circuit and relays are listed below. Any ideas appreciated.

32F2EBC6-5E01-4F16-9C1B-B88801FE078D (resized).jpeg32F2EBC6-5E01-4F16-9C1B-B88801FE078D (resized).jpeg
#3 3 years ago

It sounds like the F relay may be stuck on and the game is trying to count a bonus or something. Does the F relay relax on its own at any point after you close the Skill Hole Trough switch?

Once the F relay fires, the Outhole Trough switch can't fire the B relay because the Make/Break switch on the F relay leading into the B relay has flipped. The B relay has to wait for the Red and Yellow Bonus units to do their thing (maybe count down to the reset position?) before the B relay can fire and clear the F relay.

Can you post all of the B and F relay circuits? The right edge is hidden so we can't know if there's anything else out there.

/Mark

(Also, to avoid confusion, you know what you point to under the ball troughs in the video are switches, right? Not relays?)

#4 3 years ago
Quoted from MarkG:

(Also, to avoid confusion, you know what you point to under the ball troughs in the video are switches, right? Not relays?)

Yes - I know those are switches, but I'm thinking about relays - just a relays on my mind....

#5 3 years ago
Quoted from MarkG:

It sounds like the F relay may be stuck on and the game is trying to count a bonus or something. Does the F relay relax on its own at any point after you close the Skill Hole Trough switch?

I don't think it does. I'll double check later. Does this mean the hold switch on the F relay could be the problem?

Quoted from MarkG:

Once the F relay fires, the Outhole Trough switch can't fire the B relay because the Make/Break switch on the F relay leading into the B relay has flipped. The B relay has to wait for the Red and Yellow Bonus units to do their thing (maybe count down to the reset position?) before the B relay can fire and clear the F relay.

That makes sense now. So if it is working correctly, there should be a point when the F relay closes and that energizes the make brake switch with energizes the B-relay. Correct?

Quoted from MarkG:

Can you post all of the B and F relay circuits? The right edge is hidden so we can't know if there's anything else out there.
/Mark

Sorry. See attached. By the way, the Red and Yellow bonus units are counting down as they should before it get's stuck in this loop.

F and B circuit (resized).pngF and B circuit (resized).png
#6 3 years ago

Yes, when it's working correctly the B relay waits for the bonus count to finish before firing. The Make/Break switch is what holds it off. If your Yellow and Red Bonus Units are stepping when things get stuck in the loop I suspect that one or both are hunting for the finish position and not finding it. What that would mean is that there is never a path from the slate-black (?) wire to the brown-black (?) wire through the two bonus units. (Hard to tell the wire colors in your photo.)

#7 3 years ago
Quoted from MarkG:

Yes, when it's working correctly the B relay waits for the bonus count to finish before firing. The Make/Break switch is what holds it off. If your Yellow and Red Bonus Units are stepping when things get stuck in the loop I suspect that one or both are hunting for the finish position and not finding it. What that would mean is that there is never a path from the slate-black (?) wire and the brown-black (?) wire through the two bonus units. (Hard to tell the wire colors in your photo.)

So you think I should look on the bonus units? I'm guessing they have a zero position switch. The good news is that each works individually. You get a ball in the red hole and it counts down the bonus then kicks out the ball. Same for yellow - this was a difficult problem to fix, actually, the tolerance for the gaps on the kicker relay are REALLY tight. Too much, it gets stuck on, too little it doesn't fire. That is not the current problem, though.

I will check the wire colors on the bonus units and trace them back to the F and B relays. Good start at least.

LTR

#8 3 years ago
Quoted from Tonup69:

So you think I should look on the bonus units?

Yes. Without the schematic I can't tell how many steps there are but the small portion above shows that both Bonus Units have one position where the wiper completes a circuit that allows the B relay to fire via the Make/Break switch on the F relay. Both Bonus units need to be in that position. If the Bonus Units check out check the other switches in that same path starting with the F relay Make/Break switch.

#9 3 years ago

This was the most difficult problem I have found yet, but I figured it out! I rigged a test light so I could tell when/if the blue/white wire to the F relay was getting power. I found it was intermittent, but not in sync with the score motor switches - just sort of randomly would get some power then sometimes full power. Seemed like a switch, right? Wrong. I saw sparks on the red bonus stepper wiper, so I touched it when it was in 0 position - and the light went on. The spring is broken and the wiper is not making contact. See video. Now if I can find some of these springs, I will be back in business!

Stepper_Spring2 (resized).jpgStepper_Spring2 (resized).jpg
#10 3 years ago

It’s official: all gremlins conquered in my Aloha! Played my first full game today. Zero issues. Thanks for the input.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet Parts
Rocket City Pinball
Cabinet parts
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other
$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting
Led
Cabinet - Other
PinCoasters
Other
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/aloha-gobble-hole-problem and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.