(Topic ID: 259498)

Aloha by Gottlieb score motor continues to run.

By Tonup69

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Tonup69
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_3369 (resized).JPG
motor (resized).png
Lite A Card Score Motor (resized).jpg
IMG_0935 (resized).jpg
IMG_3026 (resized).jpg
IMG_9933 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tonup69.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

OK - I am going to try something different here since I've done quite a bit of trouble shooting on this problem thus far. Here is a list of things I know about the problem:

1) Score motor runs endlessly when you turn the machine on.
2) restart button WILL start a new game and the start up sequence runs as it should - resetting the score reels, relay bank and making the playfield live.
3) Unplugging the Jones plugs - either - they run to the playfield from the cabinet will stop the score motor - I even think it might be the orange/slate wire and/or the white/red wire to the other plug - they spark when I try to plug the plugs back in and the motor turns back on.
4) The only thing NOT working as it should on the playfield is the "Add 5 bonus Yellow" roll over switch. It scores points but does not score 5 bonus units (Red bonus roll over does work correctly).
5) I found some wires that came off the yellow bonus kicker relay (on playfield) and one that came off the add 5 bonus yellow relay in the cabinet. That was exciting! Maybe this would fix the problem - but it did not. The score motor continues to run.

I still suspect the kick out relay or the yellow add 5 bonus relay, but the switches appear gaped correctly on both. I do have a schematic, but frankly, these Gottlieb ones are hard to read. I'm going to dig into that later today, but willing to try anything at this point to make the motor stop.

FYI - I did take apart the playfield and clean it - wax it. Also, as I found bent swtiches (I mean really messed up) I would put them back to the way they should be, so I don't have a really clear mental picture of what I may have adjusted to cause this problem.

Cheers,

Larry in Memphis

#2 4 years ago

And because a picture is worth a thousand words - here's some photos of the Red/Yellow bonus I'm talking about and the Jones plugs with the wires that will STOP the score motor if I unplug them (orange/slate and white/red).

IMG_9933 (resized).jpgIMG_9933 (resized).jpgIMG_0935 (resized).jpgIMG_0935 (resized).jpgIMG_3026 (resized).jpgIMG_3026 (resized).jpg
#4 4 years ago
Quoted from MarkG:

Your schematic will look something like this (from Lite A Card):
[quoted image]
It shows all the switches that could cause the Score Motor to run and the table shows what relays activate those switches. Since they're all in parallel any one of those switches closing will send power to the Score Motor.
Since the motor runs as soon as you turn the game on you might start by having a close look at the Make/Break switch on the SB/Start relay in the red box (assuming your game is the same). That relay is a trip relay which will hold its position even when the power is cut. Check that that switch opens and closes appropriately as you manually switch the relay between its two positions (with the power off).
If that checks out you could see if any of the listed relays are active when the Score Motor is running, or just block all of the switches with a piece of folded paper until you find the one that causes the motor to stop.
/Mark

Thanks - good plan for starting. FYI - I did not mention this, but I used online resources (Pinwikki and others) to install an on/off switch on the machine. I wired it up before the main slow blow fuse and transformer. May not be important, but since several relays ans switches were live when you plug the machine up I thought this was a good idea (and I was replacing the main plug anyway).

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from MarkG:

Since the motor runs as soon as you turn the game on you might start by having a close look at the Make/Break switch on the SB/Start relay in the red box (assuming your game is the same). That relay is a trip relay which will hold its position even when the power is cut. Check that that switch opens and closes appropriately as you manually switch the relay between its two positions (with the power off).

I have taken a photo of my schematic in the same section as the one you show - thanks for that. What don't know is where the SB switch is hiding. I think, based on the diagram key that maybe it is in the relay bank? That would suck.

Where was the one on the Lite a Card?

motor (resized).pngmotor (resized).pngIMG_3369 (resized).JPGIMG_3369 (resized).JPG
#7 4 years ago
Quoted from MarkG:

The SB/Start relay is in the trip relay bank. The trip relays should be labeled but if they're not you can compare the wire colors on the relay coil solder lugs against the schematic to identify them. The trip relay bank has a wing nut on either end. If you loosen the wing nuts, the whole bank can pivot up to expose the relay switch stacks. Just be sure to return the trip relay bank to its original position and tighten up the wing nuts. It can be tricky to get it back into position but take your time and it'll go.

UPDATE: I was able to access, clean and adjust switches on the relay bank. Some were REALLY messed up - like staying open when the relay was thrown or not. I cleaned each switch and all looks visually correct. Score motor still runs. Now it won't even go through the start up sequence, which is was doing before at least. So now it doesn't reset the relay bank even. Bad to worse in other words. Part of the process. Also noticed a piece came off the score motor - stop switch? Either way, I am going to keep hacking at it. Pretty sure the relay bank switches are not at least clean and operating the way they should.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tonup69.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/aloha-by-gottlieb-score-motor-continues-to-run?tu=tonup69 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.