(Topic ID: 28095)

Almost ready to buy first machine. Suggestions for 2k price range?

By Pmack963

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 53 posts
  • 41 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by lpeters82
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pmack963.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 11 years ago

Update: I got one! Just picked up a WPT from anther pinsider yesterday. Poker theme is perfect for me, and it will go great in my game room. I drove 12 hours round trip to get it and set it up last night, and it plays great. Thanks to the people who made recommendations to me.

Now I can begin the long task of learning about care/maintence/repair when something eventually fails on it.

Greetings everyone,

First I wanted to thank everyone for the advice and raitings they post on this forum. It is incredibly helpful, especially to people looking to start a collection or learn about the hobby. I've poured over the site for a few weeks now and it is a gold mine of good information. Nothing would leave a bad taste in someone's mouth more than getting ripped off on their first purchase or buying a lemon.

Anyways, I have about a 2,000 budget, but could go up by a few hundred if necessary, and was looking for advice from the experts about what type of machine I could buy to start a collection. I mostly enjoy the games made after the 1990s with a Dot Matrix board. I've spent the last month just reading craigslist and checking estate sale listings near me, (St. Louis) and so far nothing has popped out. I've also checked out two local stores that sell used pins and the machines seemed to be not only overpriced but in fair to poor condition. I should also add that I have no experience in repair or knowledge of pinball machines, so I'm also toying with the idea of saving up for another few months and buying a shopped out 3,000 or 3,500 range machine to avoid repair problems for awhile, at least untill I can learn more over the next few years.

Advice is welcome. Thanks again

#7 11 years ago

Thanks for the responses. I will definately start looking up reviews and videos of those machines. Is craigslist the best route? I've also been looking over the pinside market for the past few weeks, my assumption is that would be a much better deal compared to getting ripped off at retail.

#11 11 years ago

I need to head over to CP Pinball. Its not that far a drive away and it looks like a fantastic venue for spending a few hours playing games. Thanks

Quoted from jk2171:

You can also check out Mr. Pinball.com's classifieds section. Best thing to do is meet other people, and make some pinball friends. Let them know what you're looking for. Have you been to CP Pinball in South Roxana, IL yet? Head up there one night that he's open and you could try out a bunch of games that would be in your price range.

#15 11 years ago

There was a 'Rescue 911' from Gottlieb listed locally for 1500 on Craigslist. I passed because after reading some reviews and watching a youtube video it didnt seem that interesting. Whats a fair price for a Gottlieb?

#22 11 years ago

Good advice, thanks again. But Patience is so hard when I have cash burning a hole in my pocket!
    And Thanks to the other posters for the recommendations, I am watching videos and reading reviews about each of the machines you guys listed.

Quoted from mrSATURN2012:

Depends on what you're looking for in game. Look at the 'Archive' here on Pinside and search through Gottlieb games. A lot of Sys 3 games are the way to go (1989?-1994?). Each machine will have a ballpark price on what it has been going for on the market. If you buy a Gottlieb, make sure you check out Steve Young at pbresource.com. He only takes checks, but the service and personality of him and his staff are top notch.
    That being said, Rescue 911 for $1500 seems a bit high unless it's in really good condition. I have seen some really good themes like SMB and FREDDY go for much cheaper.
    Biggest thing with buying a new machine sometimes is PATIENCE. Don't just jump on a deal unless you know what you are buying and you believe it is a good price. Do your research and don't succumb to "pinball fever".
    That is how you lose money very fast in this hobby.

1 month later

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pmack963.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/almost-ready-to-buy-first-machine-suggestions-for-2k-price-range?tu=pmack963 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.