• Latest reply 8 years ago by GSones
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

klondike playfield 2.jpg
#1 9 years ago

Been spending a lot of time on this Klondike. First pin. Would not reset score and a few other problems. Cleaned up the ball count unit, match unit and the score wheels, now resets all reels back to zero. ONly two problems left. The three out holes and also the bottom eject will only work one time after a reset/new game. If the ball lands in any hole, it will be ejected, but when it lands in any of them a second time, it just stays. or if it lands in the bottom hole, nothing happens either. Second problem, the bumper/slingshots and flippers are very weak. I have cleaned all switch/button contacts with change. Could someone help point me in the right direction here, thanks.

#2 9 years ago

I am gonna guess there are no other stepper units like bonus or a player unit. There should be a jones plug for choosing how many balls per game. Make sure it is plugged into the right spot.

For the weak solenoids, check the voltage at the solenoid vs what the schematic says it should be.

Shawn

#3 8 years ago

Ok, I checked the jones plug. That's alright. I checked the voltage at the leaf switch on the top left and the one bottom left rollover switches. 25V. After being activated once, the voltage dropped to only 10V and both failed to work after that, as did the three outholes. Like I said, I'm new to the pinballs scene so please have patience.

#4 8 years ago

Your gonna find you need to go through the whole game to get it workin right.
tighten all switch stacks, "don't over tighten" . clean switches, " use a dremmel with a brass brush".
chk the switches on those rollover relays, something is not makin a solid contact "10v after activating".
That's a weak switch connection somewhere.

3 weeks later
#6 8 years ago

Well, went through all this cleaning switches and everything. No difference. Seems the common thing here is everything that "scores reel value" is what is not working. Tried looking at the schematic but don't see any mention of that at all. There are a few switches that score the reel value as you can see here, but not sure where to go from here or what a common component could be related to this.

klondike playfield 2.jpgklondike playfield 2.jpg
#7 8 years ago

Im not an expert but I have a klondike that i had same kind of problems with. I see your plastic in lower outhole is broke just like mine. There is a metal pin on right side of hole that i finally took off and outhole works every time. The ball would go in and come out first time then if ball would rebound off slingers and back in hole there it would sit.That pin would move arond and the ball would not make good contact on switch. Drove me batty lol. Try that and see if it helps.

#8 8 years ago

This is actually just a reference picture. I removed the playfield and took out the bottom board to get access to cleaning it up. I went over every switch, cleaned and made sure the proper contacts were working. I found one switch on the index wheel on the score motor that was not making contact. It was the one that opens the eject circuit. Problem is now, it will not reset, the bottom ejecter and the down post are stuck in a loop. I tried to follow the schematic and went over everything pertaining to them with no avail. No switches seem to be stuck closed or anything. Checked the switch wires for any shorts or something loose. If I stick a card in that switch on the score motor, all stops, but back to the original problem with a dead eject circuit. All coils seem to be ohm out between 10 and 14 ohms in circuit.Is there anything else that could short that I'm not thinking of? Here's a quick vid of what it's doing.

http://vid656.photobucket.com/albums/uu287/RileyB_09/VID_20150529_182500962_zps15wwm9ns.mp4

Might I add it only does this when a new game is started. When it's initially turned on, it resets and stops as it should.

#9 8 years ago

I'm thinking this could be a wiring/short problem somewhere. Seeing as it's the outhole relay that keeps cycling the ball eject every rotation of the score motor, I took the DMM and tried to follow from the eject coil back to see if I could find a short somewhere. Confusing thing is, just about everything I touched showed continuity. Even both sides of open switches were beeping. Hooked up to the ground strap and it would beep in a lot of places you wouldn't think, like both lugs of a coil, switches and so on. Is this normal for EM pinballs?
On a side note, when the outhole relay activates on one of it's cycles, there is a fairly large blue spark on one of the switches, this a tell tale sign of something? Any help on this is appreciated. Thanks

#10 8 years ago

Hi "Gonemad" (what a name)
I would (like to) solve one problem after the other - Lets start a game - You push the "Start-Button / Replay-Button" and "What now" ?

Do the Score-Reels reset to Zero ?
Does the Ball Count Unit (tries to) reset ?

Is the "Up-Post / Down-Post" Plunger pulled (madly, forever, humming) ? Right from the beginning or after the "Reset of Score-Reels" ? You have a "Down-Post-Rollover-Button" on the playfield - does it "faulty-close" the switch- (underneath the) -playfield ? When a ball does NOT roll over this button: IS this switch (wide) open ?
Does the "Post-RELAY(!!!)" constantly pull (and hum) ?

Is the ball beeing kicked into the "shooter-lane" for the player ? (for to launch the ball and then play the ball) ?

The Game-Over-Relay (Interlock-Relay) has two (stable) states - does one of the coils (of the Game-Over-Re.) keeps-on pulling (and humming) ?
If none of the two coils is pulling (and humming): In what state is the Game-Over-Relay stable, look in the manual: http://mirror2.ipdb.org/files/1388/Williams_1971_Klondike_Instruction_Manual_no_schematics.pdf -> page-11 of 14 (Ori-19) -> drawing of the Game-Over-Relay -> "1 A" and "1 B" are closed (and "1 C" and "1 D" open) - I call this "State-1-A-Closed".
"State-1-A-Open" would be: "1 A" and "1B are open (and "1C" and "1 D" are closed).
Do You have Game-Over-Relay "State-1-A-Closed" or do You have "State-1-A-Open" ? Greetings Rolf

#11 8 years ago

Thanks for the reply. To answer your questions
#1 Turn game on with switch, press left flipper. Works, game lights up
#2 Coin game up, credit adds
#3 Press start button, score resets to zero,,,then see below
The up/down post activates/de-activates, then ejects ball into shooter lane,,, this constantly does this after the score reset with each revolution of the score motor. As you can see in the video, the outhole coil switches, then the up/down post followed by the kicker. While it's doing this, the ball count reduces each time, and when the last,or third eject goes, it tallys the bonus and goes into game over.

I have checked all the switches on the roll overs and on the score motor, cleaned them with a proper flex stone. I will check the switch situations later and report back. I'm, just on my way out to work. Thank you for this manual. I only had the schematic.

#12 8 years ago

Hi GM
thank You for answering. I like ipdb.org -> http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=1388 -> Manual and Schema to look at ...

From Your answer I read "The Score Motor will run and run (never stops)".
The Score Motor must run for a while - the pin must do: Reset -> pull down the "(Up / ) Down" Post -> kick the ball from the Outhole to the "Shooter Lane". BUT THEN: The Score-Motor should stop running.

(ipdb): http://mirror2.ipdb.org/files/1388/Williams_1971_Klondike_Schematic_Diagram_continuous.pdf -> "F-5" I see the symbol of the Score-Motor. Down towards YELLOW there runs a wire -> Motor-Service-Jack -> several possibilities "to let the Score-Motor" run, from left to right:
a Normally-Open-Switch on the R.O.-Relay ( the Motor runs, when that switch is closed) / a Normally-Open-Switch on the Eject-Relay ( ) / a Make-and-Break-Switch on the Reset-Relay (OK when resetting) / (+++) THE SELF-HOLD-SWITCH ON THE SCORE-MOTOR: Index-Cam, Switch-E / a switch on the Outhole-Relay (closed, when the ball is in the Outhole and the Outhole-Relay pulls) / a (M&B) switch on either "10-Cent-Relay" or "25-Cent-Relay" (when closed -> "To G-O @ D-3". So we look at Schema-D-3 -> ->the Switch-Score-Motor-5A -> YELLOW
A strange drawing I (yet) do not understand (Schema-D-3): The connection with the 25-Cent-Relay on "Position-5" ???

GM: Please look in the cabinet -> the switch "2,3,4,5,6 Games for 25 Cent": Plug it in the middle position (4). NOT USE the Replay-Button -> use a wooden stick and push (gently) on the "Anchor-Plate" of the Coin-Relay. What happens ?
Turn the pin off, then turn it on and use the Replay-Button. What happens ?

(+++) The Self-Hold-Switch SCM-Ind-E ? See Schema-A-13 -> the Outmost-Switch (E) on the stack attached to the Index-Wheel: WHEN THE whole Stack (at the end of a turn) "falls back": The two Outmost Blades MUST BE SEPARATED !!! (Otherwise, through closed contacts -> Score-Motor will run forever). Greetings Rolf

#13 8 years ago

Finally solved. Turns out this was a gravity problem. There was a small piece metal strip between the contacts of the eject switch with no fish paper. The weight of the actuator was enough to close the circuit without the contacts even being close to closed. A small adjustment was enough to fix. Thanks so much RM for the help and the manual. Next up to pick at, a Chicago Coin and a Grid Iron.

#14 8 years ago

Klondike is a really fun game. Glad you got the issues solved.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/almost-functioinal-help-needed-klondike and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.