Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

P1000590 (resized).JPG
P1000589 (resized).JPG
P1000588 (resized).JPG
P1000587 (resized).JPG
#1 5 years ago

I have been working on this Improved Sportsman on and off for a few months. It would be for HUO as it is a payout machine. It payouts free play tokens at this time that are separated by the coin mech for the tokens to fall into the payout tube while nickels go into the coin box. The tokens are magnetic and are attracted by the coin mech magnet to go into the payout tube.

I have the machine working but it suffers from contact problems on the playfield. The payout mech and coils are working along with the playfield coil release. The playfield contacts remain unreliable.

If anyone has hints about improving playfield switch reliability it would appreciate the advice.

The tilt uses a silver plated brass ball -- non-magnetic and sliver for making a good electrical contact when tilted. Some players would likely be tempted to use a magnet to hold the tilt ball in place if it was a magnetic ball.

It uses marbles currently, but perhaps heavier steel balls would work better. However, the shooter spring will likely have to be made stronger for steel balls.

Note that the bottom of the legs are not painted silver, but are polished aluminum cuffs. One leg is original to the machine, while the three others from a standard Sportsman have the polished aluminum cuffs added.

P1000587 (resized).JPGP1000587 (resized).JPGP1000588 (resized).JPGP1000588 (resized).JPGP1000589 (resized).JPGP1000589 (resized).JPGP1000590 (resized).JPGP1000590 (resized).JPG
#2 5 years ago

Looks great.

#3 5 years ago

Nice work! I can't believe that big crank reset arm did not get bent or broken over the years.

#4 5 years ago

It seems the pre-war stuff survives better than the newer stuff. Thank you gentlemen for your kind remarks.

As I look at this machine I am somehow reminded of a coffin and the game is loosing appeal in my eyes. It looks alot art deco-ish, but the leg castings on the left side view give me the casket thoughts -- rather grim looking.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/almost-done-jennings-improved-sportsman-for-huo?hl=jmsvero and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.