Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 31 posts
  • 18 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by lpeters82
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 5 years ago

YMMV on the pinside ratings but when I look at the top 100 list https://pinside.com/pinball/top-100 I can't really argue with any of the games in the 8.0+ club.
    It is exciting to see that we are almost at the point where the entire top 50 will be 8.0+ games, which I generally consider the A-list games. I could quibble on order, but all 45 of the 8.0+ games definitely feel like A-listers to me.

How long you think until the top 50 are all 8.0+?
    With any luck it'd be the next 5 releases, but they can't all be zingers. And I don't see Alien and Big Lebowski getting a big code update that would push them back into 8.0+ territory.

#2 5 years ago

I did not realize it before, but that is an expensive list. Of the top 45, only a few can be had for under $3,000, Getaway, Whirlwind, Fish Tales and Dracula. I would say it would make those 4 high value games. I know some other titles could be had for under $3,000 but those would probably be rough condition, No Good Gofers and Shadow. #41 to #45 are all under $4,000. A lot of the Stern's you can get a pretty good example for $4,500 to $4,800.

This is getting expensive.

#4 5 years ago

on a 10 point scale most places would put A at 9 or 9.3 and above.

#5 5 years ago
    Quoted from cait001:

It is exciting to see that we are almost at the point where the entire top 50 will be 8.0+ games, which I generally consider the A-list games.

Is this a Canadian grading system or something?

Xmen an A game...that's a tuffy

#6 5 years ago
    Quoted from Marvin:

on a 10 point scale most places would put A at 9 or 9.3 and above.

on a 10 point scale most places would assign A based on statistical distribution of the available dataset.

#7 5 years ago
    Quoted from cait001:

on a 10 point scale most places would assign A based on statistical distribution of the available dataset.

Only places grading on a curve would do that, and those places would be lame.

#8 5 years ago
    Quoted from Marvin:

Only places grading on a curve would do that, and those places would be lame.

OK fine, an A is 9.3 and up. Therefore there are zero A games. Very useful.

#9 5 years ago
    Quoted from cait001:

#10 5 years ago
    Quoted from cait001:

Correct, the top 100 is pretty useless

#11 5 years ago
    Quoted from cait001:

perfect, this displays just how stupid the rankings are. I like it.

#12 5 years ago

See we are just at cross purposes. Cait is trying to get useful information from the rankings, Marvin wants to show they are stupid.

#13 5 years ago

The top 100 are the most popular. Not the 100 best.

#14 5 years ago

Cait is trying to get useful information from subjective, easily manipulated ratings. Marvin is trying to show subjective, easily manipulated ratings are useless.

Play the games YOU like. Not what rando's online say you should like. IPDB rankings are older than the ones here and are different than here too. They are also pretty damn useless.

#15 5 years ago

Anyways, rankings are subjective and all but it's still a very useful dataset. I give it up to 3 years and then the entire top 50 will be 8.0+ games, which is a testament to how much great pinball machines there are out there, and the overall quality of the new ones arriving.

#16 5 years ago
    Quoted from cait001:

Anyways, rankings are subjective and all but it's still a very useful dataset. I give it up to 3 years and then the entire top 50 will be 8.0+ games, which is a testament to how much great pinball machines there are out there, and the overall quality of the new ones arriving.

I don't disagree but it also has to do with how many new people are coming into the hobby. If they buy a new in box game they rate it high on Pinside almost as a justification of their purchase. They probably haven't played half of the games on the top 100 but want to rank the new one they own very high because they own it.

#17 5 years ago
    Quoted from Ericc123:

I don't disagree but it also has to do with how many new people are coming into the hobby. If they buy a new in box game they rate it high on Pinside almost as a justification of their purchase. They probably haven't played half of the games on the top 100 but want to rank the new one they own very high because they own it.

This happens with every new game. Look at what's #1 right now.

#18 5 years ago
    Quoted from tamoore:

If you look at this there are only 17 ratings for IMDN. It is a great machine and one of Stern's best offerings in a while. I have played some games on it but to be #1 at this time, not hardly. Perhaps there needs to be a minimum # of ratings threshold (say 200-300) before it can even be ranked. This way the numbers are not skewed in favor of the latest is greatest type of rating. It could be shown on the Top 100 with maybe an asterisk beside the rating to show that the game has not received enough reviews to make it a statistically correct one.

#19 5 years ago
    Quoted from zpinman370:

If you look at this there are only 17 ratings for IMDN. It is a great machine and one of Stern's best offerings in a while. I have played some games on it but to be #1 at this time, not hardly. Perhaps there needs to be a minimum # of ratings threshold (say 200-300) before it can even be ranked. This way the numbers are not skewed in favor of the latest is greatest type of rating. It could be shown on the Top 100 with maybe an asterisk beside the rating to show that the game has not received enough reviews to make it a statistically correct one.

There is a threshold, it's 15

#20 5 years ago
    Quoted from erak:

The top 100 are the most popular. Not the 100 best.

Exactly. There are 4 games in the top 20 that I would not have in MY top 100.

#21 5 years ago
    Quoted from zacaj:

There is a threshold, it's 15

This needs to be re-thought. How can only 15 reviews make for a good sampling of opinion?? Like I said previously, the threshold should be at minimum 200-300 then you would have some good sampling to use.

#22 5 years ago
    Quoted from tamoore:

xD .... that shit cracks me up so hard. Every single new Stern this happens. In about 1 week, the ratings will correct, and IMDN will go plummeting somewhere in the 20s-30s.

I pay attention to the top 100 about as much as some wedding in England that, for some reason, nearly everyone here in the States cares about...

#23 5 years ago
    Quoted from zpinman370:

This needs to be re-thought. How can only 15 reviews make for a good sampling of opinion?? Like I said previously, the threshold should be at minimum 200-300 then you would have some good sampling to use.

That'd be completely unfair to games with smaller production runs. There are a ton of games in the top 100 that will probably never reach 300 ratings.

The point of the 15 is to make sure they have a stable sample, not just one person or something. It's big enough that one person can't have a huge effect, and that's it. You could try to do something with the relative popularity of games but there's not nearly enough data to work with that well, especially for older games.

#24 5 years ago

The top 100 serves a purpose and fwiw I don’t think anyone would want to see it go as much as we all like to bash on it occasionally

#25 5 years ago

The top 100 serves a purpose for beginners just getting into pinball as a sort of popularity guide, but for people that have been around and know what they like, it's basically useless. Don't get me started on the EM top 100, talk about not making any sense.

#26 5 years ago

Sometimes, i'm curious to see if we separated the cosmetic aspect of the "Top 100" list from the gameplay aspect.

The Shadow theme and it's stock translite has never bothered me, but I know the majority of people despise it. Could you imagine if it was a more popular theme? It would likely be in the top 20, maybe even top 10 portion of the list.

With that said, I think the Top 100 is a good resource to read reviews and learn about the machines, but I never see it as the law of the land when considering which machines are the greatest.

Some of my favorite games aren't even in the "Top 100."

#27 5 years ago
    Quoted from sunnRAT:

Sometimes, i'm curious to see if we separated the cosmetic aspect of the "Top 100" list from the gameplay aspect.
    The Shadow theme and it's stock translite has never bothered me, but I know the majority of people despise it. Could you imagine if it was a more popular theme? It would likely be in the top 20, maybe even top 10 portion of the list.
    With that said, I think the Top 100 is a good resource to read reviews and learn about the machines, but I never see it as the law of the land when considering which machines are the greatest.
    Some of my favorite games aren't even in the "Top 100."

The Shadow is in my top 5 DMD Williams pins of all time. Backglass and all.

If you want a real treat. Watch the Shadow movie again. It's suprisingly better than lots of recent films. A film thats improved with age.
    My personal top 5 WMS best DMD machine picks.
    1 MM
    2 TS
    3 TZ
    4 AFM
    5 SS or MB

6 months later
    #28 5 years ago

49 games are now at 8.0 or better. One more new release away from 50 I'm sure.

#29 5 years ago

good thing most people already know the rating system doesn't mean shit and skewed by many fake factors. there are many games that have no business being in the top 300, let alone top 50. Plus, many pinsiders are DMD snobs, so many EM and early SS that are fantastic, are disregarded because of close minded individuals.

#30 5 years ago

*sigh* that's beside the point.

Anyways, I think X-Men is as 8.0 game. IN MY HEART

#31 5 years ago

Based on the rating descriptions an 8.0 is "good" across the board. I don't think it's hard to believe that there are 50 games better then good.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/almost-at-50-games-with-80?hl=zpinman370 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.