(Topic ID: 36838)

Almost 900 Hobbit LE's have been ordered!

By LBJ

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Brick-Tamland.gif
There are 173 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.
#51 11 years ago
Quoted from arizonabuck:

I don't know who jj is.

GEXCHANGE on Pinside

#52 11 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Very insane indeed.

Funny how you mention the guy doing the code, but not the actual designer!

Fair point, but I really like the look of WOZ, as well as most of Balcer's past designs well enough. A13 was a really good design, with a couple tight shots. GZ and ST shoot nicely. Not a fan of the SWT or SP layouts, but they can't all be home runs. Lawlor and Borg, etc all have stinker layouts. To me, when buying for our home collections, the rule designer is damn near more important than the layout designer these days, especially with the derivative layouts we see (it's not the insane creativity of the 70s and 80s designs anymore).

Without Lyman doing those buildup jackpot rules, ACDC is a faster and more plastic T2 with great music. LOTR isn't a particularly ingenious or original design, but the rules are among the best ever created. XM is a killer combo blasting layout, but dot dot dot...

Preorders are always a gamble, but knowing you are going to have a great rule designer and pinball mind behind the game moves the odds in your favor.

#53 11 years ago
Quoted from JesseB:

GEXCHANGE on Pinside

thanks for the info. talked with him and he is a very good contact. will be my number 1 contact from now on for NIB. thanks.

#54 11 years ago
Quoted from arizonabuck:

thanks for the info. talked with him and he is a very good contact. will be my number 1 contact from now on for NIB. thanks.

Just got my Avengers from JJ delivered on wednesday. Was very easy and nice to deal with.

As far as the hobbit goes, I actually like the theme. Unlike WOZ. And the price isn't the reason I'm not buying either. It's all of the other factors that come into play that stop me. I have nothing against JJP, and want them to succeed. But I'm absolutely taking a wait and see approach.

#55 11 years ago

I to find it hard to believe that already 900 people have bought a Hobbit. Distro's are almost certainly included.

I'm very curious how the game will look, but until it's almost here i'm not going to put money down that long in advance. With so many being produced i'm absolute sure i can get one should i be interested in it.

#56 11 years ago

I ordered one and am about to make my second payment. I find what I am doing know different from ordering WOZLE way back when or something like BBB, Predator, Nemo or any of these future games from small manufacturers. I don't like theme #1 from JJP but believe they are up to something good and willing to risk it on the fact that I am supporting the hobby and may end up with a great game and a them I love. They have many trouble or we here wind they are going under and I will be on the refund bandwagon, hoping my preorder helps prevent this, but I am realistic and very uncomfortable how they are handling WOZ lack of code and being almost ready to ship and still not shipping. Risky business we shail see but I don't feel like a chump.

#57 11 years ago

I bought NIB XMEN LE , and Avengers ( Hulk). Like both. Had the opportunity to see Hulk and WOZ side by side before my Hulk arrived. Not much difference in price, but from a quality of materials structure , fit and finish, WOZ looks like it should cost thousands more.

#58 11 years ago

There are several hundred people that I have heard say they are in. Nmeun above said he has sold 10 himself, 4 (40%) of which are not even on Pinside. Those are pretty big numbers. I think everybody that is saying the 900 number is BS are wrong. Wrong because the numbers actually support the 900 sold and wrong for calling Jack a liar. That is what is being done by saying it is BS.

#59 11 years ago
Quoted from absocountry2:

There are several hundred people that I have heard say they are in. Nmeun above said he has sold 10 himself, 4 (40%) of which are not even on Pinside. Those are pretty big numbers. I think everybody that is saying the 900 number is BS are wrong. Wrong because the numbers actually support the 900 sold and wrong for calling Jack a liar. That is what is being done by saying it is BS.

I didn't call Jack a liar. I did call the 900 number to be BS. I think he needs the money coming in to help get all the WOZ orders out the door and still have some cash to make TH happen. But my biggest reason to think that it is, as exciting of a title The Hobbit is, I find it hard to believe 900 people will start shelling out $$ on his timeline. Especially with the incredibly long delays completing WOZ. Don't get me wrong, I want him to succeed and think his build quality is top notch.

#60 11 years ago

So many of these threads about Jersey Jack.

At least he isn't selling a Dreamliner.

#61 11 years ago
Quoted from detroit_pinball:

2014 ??? The way Jack plans completion dates...... Mr. just another 90 days....
I would very easily expect 2015.....
I love the fact that summertime manufacturer vacation delays were used as an excuse and now its christmas time manufacture delays...... Oh nooooo, St Patti's day is coming around.
I know plenty of manufacture employee's that were not aloud to use any of their vacation time around the holidays here in Detroit, a dramatic change from years past.
Oh well, I am officially out on Hobbit, no way am I plunking money down on a JJ game that wont be delivered for years.... When it comes out, and if I like it; I will make the decision to buy then.
Pinball Circus would be a definate exception
Good luck,
Scott
Detroit Pinball

Please, GM's bloated unions would take August off and retool in September for October. They would work in December given a month off 3 months ago.

#62 11 years ago

Blind faith.

At least with Stern your cash isn't tied up for 2 plus years while you hold zilch. In many cases there are people that have huge chunks of cash tied up on 2 machines and neither of which are sitting in their gameroom. That's nuts.

#63 11 years ago

these 900 persons bought a new car model without trying...?

#64 11 years ago
Quoted from pinballfan:

Well you do go into a movie theater without seeing the movie.

And you can always walk out.

#65 11 years ago
Quoted from edwinpblue:

correct me if I'm wrong but I think the number is 1500

Jake is making way too many LEs.
1500 LE machines IS NOT a "limited edition". It's more like 1500 deluxe editions.

#66 11 years ago

I find it curious that the focus is on selling TH, when it should be all about moving as many WOZs as possible at this time. Is anyone ordering them from having seen them on demo locations?

#67 11 years ago
Quoted from pinballfan:

Yes we did... same as BBB, WOZ, TH and others who are in for BHZA

#68 11 years ago

900 on pre order doesn't surprise me one bit. This just shows that point blank Jack picked the wrong theme for the first pinball machine. Will he every admit it............NO, "We wanted to bring pinball to all generations............blah blah." Pinball in it's prime was a male dominated game, with a teen+ target base. Jack disregarded the consumer base and went rogue. It will prove to be a costly mistake in the short term. I will bet you the Stern team was laughing off their chairs when they heard he pick WOZ. They were not laughing when they heard he chose The Hobbit. All you WOZ lovers that say, "I like the WOZ theme". Bull Shit!.........You suffer from LT (Low Testosterone). Don't worry though, there is help, go buy an ACDC premium and play to your Testosterone level go back to normal and you will sell your WOZ spot.

Relax people, this rant is a joke laced with some truth....

#69 11 years ago

The thing to remember is that even if 900 are claimed already, all that really means is that those people put down a small deposit so far. A handful probably paid in full to get the "free" shipping, but I'd imagine 99% of them have only had the $500 deposit put down.

I think a lot of people plunked down the deposit to secure their spot until they can see the layout and then they'll decide whether or not to stay in depending on how they feel about it at that point.

I didn't go in on Hobbit for a number of reasons, but I can thank all the Hobbit preorder people for providing completion funds for WOZ. Thanks guys!

#70 11 years ago
Quoted from arizonabuck:

Acdc premium is 7k, hobbit is 7.5k, so I don't see the big difference as far as cost.

The Hobbit isn't actually $7500. You have to factor in a 2+ year interest-free loan you're giving.

#71 11 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

will he ask money for the third pin before the hobbit comes out?

I'd imagine. Seems cash flow is an issue.

Tough to tell much on the 900. I hope they make and ship a ton of games to all sorts of buyers. The more successful companies in the industry the better for everyone.

#72 11 years ago

As predicted...

Research what jack has said and done in the past and you wouldn't be so quick to come to this conclusion.

#73 11 years ago
Quoted from sturner:

The Hobbit isn't actually $7500. You have to factor in a 2+ year interest-free loan you're giving.

True. Had I invested the $6500 for 2 years at 5% (and where the heck do you find that deal anyway?), I earn around $650. But WOZ now costs me $7500. So your investment strategy just cost me $350.

Also don't forget to factor in the rising cost of pinball in general. I committed to a $6500 price tag for WOZ two years ago. I thought it was crazy money, but I also wanted to support JJP. Now I look around and see what $6500 gets you and feel I got a screaming deal on my WOZ.

#74 11 years ago

I was tempted to preorder, it's a dream theme for me. And I'd like nothing more than a kick butt Hobbt pin. But with no info on the machine, not even a playfield sketch, I just can't. I won't buy a Stern until the software's at an acceptable place and the manufacturing bugs are worked out. I can't commit 7.5k without so much as a picture.

#75 11 years ago
Quoted from PinCrush:

True. Had I invested the $6500 for 2 years at 5% (and where the heck do you find that deal anyway?), I earn around $650. But WOZ now costs me $7500. So your investment strategy just cost me $350.
Also don't forget to factor in the rising cost of pinball in general. I committed to a $6500 price tag for WOZ two years ago. I thought it was crazy money, but I also wanted to support JJP. Now I look around and see what $6500 gets you and feel I got a screaming deal on my WOZ.

It's impossible to say what WOZ is worth because you can't buy one. You can buy a promise of one coming some day, but that's not an actual pinball machine. We'll see if it was ultimately a good investment when machines are actually for sale.

As for other machines, you make a great point that using the $6500 toward other machines would have been a great investment. So would an S&P index fund. The interest free loan still has to be factored into the cost of the product if you're comparing it to a company that is actually shipping titles.

#76 11 years ago
Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

Arizonabuck AC DC premium is not 7k holy crap you are being ripped off. 6200 delivered everywhere. Call JJ.
I will buy was at 6200 as well

Yup...I got mine coming for $6000 with me driving a couple of hours to pick it up.

#77 11 years ago
Quoted from sturner:

It's impossible to say what WOZ is worth because you can't buy one. You can buy a promise of one coming some day, but that's not an actual pinball machine. We'll see if it was ultimately a good investment when machines are actually for sale.

So how much would $6500 have netted me in an S&P index fund for 2 years? How does that compare to the extra $1000 WOZ would have cost by waiting 2 years?

#78 11 years ago

I think we all get it that paying for a pin without playing it is not for everyone, the same way that no theme appeals to everyone. Those of us who have invested in WOZ, and/or have taken the first step on The Hobbit obviously believe in what JJP is doing, YMMV, but why some on here seem hell bent on being negative is beyond me.

About the only reasonings I can come up with for openly hoping that JJP will fail is that they can sit back and say,"See I was right not to give them any money, I'm so smart" or they are afraid of JJP succeeding because they didn't get in on a good deal, both pretty pathetic reasons if you ask me.

#79 11 years ago
Quoted from PinCrush:

So how much would $6500 have netted me in an S&P index fund for 2 years? How does that compare to the extra $1000 WOZ would have cost by waiting 2 years?

None of us know what you can actually buy a WOZ for because they aren't available. If it's at $7500 when it becomes available, it'll probably end up being a wash or perhaps a small gain for you (depending on how you invest/use your excess money). Not sure what's controversial about the statement that the interest-free loan has to be factored into the cost.

If I buy a car for $20k and the dealership tells me they'll deliver it in 3 years, I didn't buy a $20k car. And I can't compare it to a $20k car that I can buy and drive off the lot right away.

#80 11 years ago
Quoted from sturner:

None of us know what you can actually buy a WOZ for because they aren't available. If it's at $7500 when it becomes available, it'll probably end up being a wash or perhaps a small gain for you (depending on how you invest/use your excess money).

So you're operating under the assumption that no pre-order machines are actually available? I can't call a distributor and order WOZ? I couldn't have ordered Avengers early? Or BHZA, Or any Stern released in the past 2 years. Seems like you're just throwing dust in the air.

If your point is you should never pre-order anything because you don't know what you can get it for after release, then I get that.

#81 11 years ago

actually I did invest in the S&P...since Jan 11, the fund grew about 16% which is a healthy return. So on 6500 investment..you would have netted $1040...but hindsight is 20/20..and you could have easlily lost that much. In any case..i did both...a woz and the s&p. One is for fun and one is for investing...two different objectives in life

#82 11 years ago

in loving memory of... "The family arcade"

#83 11 years ago

Seems a strange decision to use the same designer for the second pin as would be far more preferable to have a different one. Wonder why Nordman was not retained? Keith re rules - great.

#84 11 years ago
Quoted from PinCrush:

If your point is you should never pre-order anything because you don't know what you can get it for after release, then I get that.

No, my point was that if you pre-order something you have to factor in the interest-free loan you are giving to the person you are purchasing from. It's part of the cost. This was in response to someone who was comparing the price of a Stern machine that is readily available to the public to a WOZ that is not. I'm saying it's difficult to compare prices between the two at this point, there are other variables in the equation.

#85 11 years ago
Quoted from Vyzer2:

actually I did invest in the S&P...since Jan 11, the fund grew about 16% which is a healthy return. So on 6500 investment..you would have netted $1040...but hindsight is 20/20..and you could have easlily lost that much. In any case..i did both...a woz and the s&p. One is for fun and one is for investing...two different objectives in life

So did I. Was just playing along with the "investment" argument, which I already knew was a push.

Pinballs are not my investment vehicle of choice (although perhaps they should have been!). This is my play money, and I choose to throw it at whatever looks like the most fun. Not the best investment.

#86 11 years ago
Quoted from dgpinball:

About the only reasonings I can come up with for openly hoping that JJP will fail

I must have missed the posts of people openly hoping that JJP will fail. I've seen a lot of people critical of JJP, including many WOZ buyers in the case of the Hobbit. But haven't seen people openly wanting them to fail.

#87 11 years ago

Make that 901

#88 11 years ago
Quoted from Toasterdog:

I didn't call Jack a liar. I did call the 900 number to be BS.

I fail to see the difference since he was the one to say the 900 number.

#89 11 years ago
Quoted from mechslave:

Fair point, but I really like the look of WOZ, as well as most of Balcer's past designs well enough. A13 was a really good design, with a couple tight shots. GZ and ST shoot nicely. Not a fan of the SWT or SP layouts, but they can't all be home runs. Lawlor and Borg, etc all have stinker layouts. To me, when buying for our home collections, the rule designer is damn near more important than the layout designer these days, especially with the derivative layouts we see (it's not the insane creativity of the 70s and 80s designs anymore).
Without Lyman doing those buildup jackpot rules, ACDC is a faster and more plastic T2 with great music. LOTR isn't a particularly ingenious or original design, but the rules are among the best ever created. XM is a killer combo blasting layout, but dot dot dot...
Preorders are always a gamble, but knowing you are going to have a great rule designer and pinball mind behind the game moves the odds in your favor.

Great points, can't disagree with any of them.

#90 11 years ago
Quoted from jarjarisgod:

I didn't go in on Hobbit for a number of reasons, but I can thank all the Hobbit preorder people for providing completion funds for WOZ. Thanks guys!

#91 11 years ago

People (in this case toasterdog) often disagree with, or call bs on, publicly stated sales numbers that come from private companies. It's typically not considered a great affront toward the company or it's owner to do so. Private companies often inflate sales numbers for various reasons. And most of the time they aren't legally required to provide the public with accurate info either. That's why they are private.

And usually none of the people, on either side, use the term lying. It's called business. And it's not a big deal.

#92 11 years ago

BS no way 900 have been ordered

#93 11 years ago

None of us have any way of knowing if this is true or not, but it's not out of the realm of possibility. Plenty of people have seen the quality of the WOZ build, and take a very popular license (Hobbit) mixed with the fact that JJP knows they need to surpass LOTR, and I could see this being potentially true.

Quoted from thedarkknight77:

900 on pre order doesn't surprise me one bit. This just shows that point blank Jack picked the wrong theme for the first pinball machine. Will he every admit it............NO, "We wanted to bring pinball to all generations............blah blah." Pinball in it's prime was a male dominated game, with a teen+ target base. Jack disregarded the consumer base and went rogue. It will prove to be a costly mistake in the short term. I will bet you the Stern team was laughing off their chairs when they heard he pick WOZ. They were not laughing when they heard he chose The Hobbit. All you WOZ lovers that say, "I like the WOZ theme". Bull Shit!.........You suffer from LT (Low Testosterone). Don't worry though, there is help, go buy an ACDC premium and play to your Testosterone level go back to normal and you will sell your WOZ spot.
Relax people, this rant is a joke laced with some truth....

You drinking this early in the morning?

You are welcome to stop by in a few months and play some WOZ and ACDC. Then we can see how bad JJP is "suffering".

#94 11 years ago

What's with all this interest free loan stuff? I've paid $500. The payments are very gradual. It's kind of nice, being able to save up for it. Almost like putting something on layaway. I'm not throwing it on a credit card and being charged interest.

#95 11 years ago
Quoted from sammiesguys:

This probably means he should have enough funding to run the company until he asks for the next game's deposit and payments.

There is a chance that JJP will go public by then and change the bidness model. JJP could be a division of, say JJ Enterprises and also offer slot machines. Although that business oligopoly has topped out with IGT under seige of the former Chairman and a few investors as well as the reccent announced closure of AC Coin/ AC Slots.

#96 11 years ago
Quoted from arizonabuck:

What's with all this interest free loan stuff?

Nothing else to B*tch about, gotta throw crap and hope something sticks.

LTG : )

#97 11 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

There is a chance that JJP will go public by then and change the bidness model. JJP could be a division of, say JJ Enterprises and also offer slot machines. Although that business oligopoly has topped out with IGT under seige of the former Chairman and a few investors as well as the reccent announced closure of AC Coin/ AC Slots.

Do you really think they would do that? That would likely mean giving up a significant amount of power for Jack, along with having to publicly open the books. The way they are operating now, and the requirements that change would bring, seem to be at serious odds with each other. And unless they had to in order to survive, I don't know why they would do it.

#98 11 years ago
Quoted from sammiesguys:

Do you really think they would do that? That would likely mean giving up a significant amount of power for Jack, along with having to publicly open the books. The way they are operating now, and the requirements that change would bring, seem to be at serious odds with each other. And unless they had to in order to survive, I don't know why they would do it.

Going public isn't a survival technique. It's actually the opposite. In most cases it causes more harm then good.

Look at facebook. Prime example of a borked IPO from the start. They are climbing back out of the cellar but its still pretty bad.

#99 11 years ago
Quoted from PinCrush:

My 401k has made 15.5% over the last two years. It's a mix of large cap/ Mid+small cap / bonds pretty much 33/33/33% splits there...

I'm no good with compound interest and all that, but if your money made a FLAT 15% increase, it would be 975 bucks....just shy of the 1000 target to beat.

#100 11 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

Going public isn't a survival technique. It's actually the opposite. In most cases it causes more harm then good.
Look at facebook. Prime example of a borked IPO from the start. They are climbing back out of the cellar but its still pretty bad.

I see what you're saying. I was just thinking along the lines of JJP not wanting to bring in outside money unless it was absolutely necessary. Doing that brings in a lot of issues I would think they don't want to deal with.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Ogden, UT
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Electronics
Skillshot Combo

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 25.50
9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
St. Louis, MO
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
North Myrtle Beach, SC
8,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Belington, WV
There are 173 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/almost-900-hobbit-les-have-been-ordered/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.