2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Dakine747
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image1[5046] (resized).jpeg
    image0[5045] (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Dakine747.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 2 years ago

I recently purchased a 1980 Bally and all original boards had been replaced with Alltek boards. When I purchased the game, the seller informed me a switched playfield lamps wasn't working (actually, there were two), but hadn't yet explored why. After getting it home, and determining they weren't a bulb or socket issue, I replaced the Alltek board in the game with a new one that I had on hand. All lamps are now working well with the replacement Alltek board. Should I assume then that the issue is with the Alltek that was in the game when I picked it up?? If so, what's the best way to expedite a repair? I'm still real wobbly with electrical issues, and not real confident that I could somehow reflow a board, repair SCR's, etc. Nothing on this board I removed looks bad. Any feedback is MOST appreciated!!

image0[5045] (resized).jpegimage0[5045] (resized).jpegimage1[5046] (resized).jpegimage1[5046] (resized).jpeg

#3 2 years ago
    Quoted from Cheddar:

Those boards are easy to repair. They conveniently left holes for scrs to be added and the smd scr only needs to be removed if the bulb is locked in.
    Depending on when the board is purchased it might still be under warranty. Alltek is pretty good about repairs.
    But I'd be surprised that the new board works where the old board didn't. Typically the scrs get blown when a lamp socket it shorted.

Hmmm….I replaced the socket before I popped in the new board, so maybe that took care of any short that perhaps blew the SCR?? I found this thread, but the terminology baffles me.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/alltek-lamp-driver-board-simple-question

Also, I see no holes anywhere for something to be “added”. Remember, I don’t yet know a lot of the acronyms and terms, so it’s okay to explain it as if I was six! LOL

#6 2 years ago
    Quoted from BrianBannon:

Alltek Systems has a lifetime warranty on all of their Ultimate boards. See allteksystems.com for more information.

I read that on another thread. I’ll be contacting them tomorrow. Thanks!

#7 2 years ago
    Quoted from Cheddar:

If you look under any of the 3 legged SCRs on that board (all the stuff to the right of the chips) you will see an empty 3 holes under each one. Some are in a straight line and some form a triangle. That allows you to replace a SCR without having to do surface mount work.

Thanks Cheddar, yes, I did some digging on Alltek’s troubleshooting and repair pages, and saw how easy they made it to replace an SCR. When I examined my board though, I don’t see any holes in the board anywhere, nor do I see any holes when holding it up to a light. It appears that a soldering iron might open them up with minimal effort though. That’s what I found so confusing. Several repair threads mention “holes”. There are no holes on this board whatsoever.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Dakine747.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/alltek-mpu-question-1?tu=Dakine747 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.