15%
  • Purchase the Alltek ultimate light driver board with the comets 9 votes
    69%
  • Purchase the mini anti flicker boards with the comets 0 votes
  • Leave the 47/44’s, and original light board alone 2 votes
    15%

(13 votes)

#1 6 years ago

Hello all, would like some advice. I want to put led’s in my flight 2000, as it’s too dark in my already dark basement. I’m not sure if I should buy a Alltek lamp driver board or buy the little led no flicker boards. My existing original board is working well with 47/44 but just want a little more light without flicker or ghosting. Or would my original be ok? I want to use comet warm whites. Not so bright as to singe the fur on my cat when he walks by, just enough to appreciate the artwork and see the ball better. Thanks guys!

#2 6 years ago

I've used both....imo if your just adding leds the little boards are fine. But if a full restore is being done with new light sockets, altek then because I wouldn't to have to fix componts on the old bally board.....throw it in the pile of other outed boards I have

#3 6 years ago

Start with the Comet Non-Ghosting LEDs in the inserts to see how well they work. Should not need them in the GI since the circuit is not the same.

#4 6 years ago

I’ve tried leds in my older games and always end up going back to 44/47’s imo leds just don’t look right in the older games

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from Phat_Jay:

Hello all, would like some advice. I want to put led’s in my flight 2000, as it’s too dark in my already dark basement. I’m not sure if I should buy a Alltek lamp driver board or buy the little led no flicker boards. My existing original board is working well with 47/44 but just want a little more light without flicker or ghosting. Or would my original be ok? I want to use comet warm whites. Not so bright as to singe the fur on my cat when he walks by, just enough to appreciate the artwork and see the ball better. Thanks guys!

Just do the GI first... no lamp board needed for that. See how the game looks. You only need to do the lamp board/resistors for the CPU controlled lamps.

#6 6 years ago

Keep in mind with LEDs there are different brightnesses and color temperatures.

I like to use comet's sunlight 1 smd bulbs for GI.

The color temperature is in the middle of the warm white (yellowish) bulbs and cool/natural white (bluish) bulbs.

#7 6 years ago

I put an Alltek in my Paragon. I used LEDs for the backbox and GI. Looks really good.

#8 6 years ago

Thanks guys, I’ll go ahead and order the comets and see how things go. With the mini boards at 50 and the full board at 100 I wasn’t sure if I should just upgrade or stay original in the machine.

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from Phat_Jay:

Thanks guys, I’ll go ahead and order the comets and see how things go. With the mini boards at 50 and the full board at 100 I wasn’t sure if I should just upgrade or stay original in the machine.

if you are handy with a soldering iron you can solder resistors across each lamp socket. 680 ohm seems to be in the sweet spot to get every SCR to latch even at around 5vdc feature lamp bus.

heck you can even install all the LEDs and only resistor the LEDs that flicker. High current LEDs and certain SCRs may/will not flicker. So you don't have to resistor every lamp. Use lamp test to weed out potential flickery bulbs as voltage and therefore current draw will be lowest on each SCR at that point (SCR less likely to latch).

If you don't want to resistor each lamp socket, the nvram.weebly, alltek, or mini boards are the easy/more expensive way out. 680 ohm resistor is just a penny of cost and your time.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

$ 3.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Melbourne Beach, FL
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Crown Point, IN
$ 125.00
$ 69.00
$ 199.95
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/alltek-lamp-driver-board-or-no and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.