Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by jiffy
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

I have a HUO 1978 Allied Leisure Hearts spades that is having some issues. Its in great condition and I need to try and save this thing! Here is what I am seeing / checked...

Tested 5V at the MPU and is currently getting 4.99 so that should be good.

Checked for stuck switches and can't seem to find any.

On the MPU:
LED #1 is not lit up
LED #2 is missing
LED #3 & #4 are lit.

Game doesn't seem to want to coin up or go into test mode... At power off and power on, sometimes Game Over and Tilt are lit, Sometimes they aren't.

Sometimes the flippers work like it is in the middle of a game (none of the other coils fire during this time) and other times they don't.

Lastly the out ball kicker gets very hot so I haven't left it on for very long as I don't want to burn it out.

All signs point to an MPU issue i'm thinking but then again I have zero experience on Allied Leisure machines.

Anyone have any feedback / advice?

Thanks in advance!

// Error: Image 453849 not found //

// Error: Image 453850 not found //

#2 8 years ago

Might be some help on John's web site:

https://www.flippers.com/ALI-Pinball_service.html

#3 8 years ago

Thank you for sharing that link. I have spent a lot of time on that site. It's how I think I have the issue narrowed down to the MPU. Now I am looking for advice on the MPU

#4 8 years ago

Does LED 1 come on at power up, then go out after a couple of seconds?

#5 8 years ago

LED 1 does not come on at all... Not at power up or any other time....

#6 8 years ago

Before trying anything, I'd probably, CAREFULLY and gently re-seat the ICs -- clean the legs if they look really bad. You want to be super careful, because there are 3 custom ROMs (6530s) that cannot be replaced -- AND DON'T MIX the 6530's up. Each one is different, and must be in its own socket -- if you're not sure they are placed correctly, review the information on flippers.com, and make sure you have them in the correct sockets.

If that effort does nothing to improve the situation, then you can start troubleshooting...

Do a good visual inspection of the rats-nest of wires that are used to set the game options. These are old and brittle, and usually break and short with each other if you even look at them too hard. If you find a problem there, do your best to fix it and rewire it as needed to correct the situation.

Quoted from mschwartz01:

Lastly the out ball kicker gets very hot so I haven't left it on for very long as I don't want to burn it out.

Here's the next place to look. Disconnect the locked on coil before powering up the game again.

Basically, here are the steps you'll need to take (start with game OFF):

1. Trace the locked-on coil back to the driving transistor and associated driving PIA chip.
2. DMM check that transistor and its driving components for a dead short.
3. If no shorts are found, you can power up the MPU on the bench and logic probe the PIA line in question to see if it is stuck HIGH or LOW (I think it would be stuck LOW--but not sure, i'd compare readings with a nearby non-locked coil).
4. If it turns out that the line on the PIA is stuck, then that chip will need to be replaced.

Now, this game has 6520 PIA's and 3 custom 6530 chips--both types are used to drive the lights, switches and coils. If the 'bad' driving chip is a 6520, it can be replaced with a 6821. If the 'bad' chip is a 6530, you may be out of luck. 6530's are custom, mask-programmed chips and no longer available--unless flippers.com has any left--and each of the 6530's are not interchangeable -- ie, each of the three 6530's are 'different' from one another, and have to go in each's associated socket or the game will not work--this is explained better on flippers.com.

If you don't want to tackle any of this, then you can send the board to flippers.com for repair (contact them first for shipping instructions).

Good luck, and let us know what happens.

#7 8 years ago

Sorry, we do not close threads just because you sold it. Why you deleted the information is suspicious, though.

#8 8 years ago

OP, willingly removing or editing out content like this is against Pinside community rules. I have rolled back the changes, please do not do this in the future, your posts may have value for others looking for solutions to similar issues. Thanks.

#10 8 years ago

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Oklahoma City, OK
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/allied-leisure-mpu-issue-hearts-spades and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.