Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20170218_213648 (resized).jpg
AL_bad_disp4 (resized).jpg
AL_bad_disp3 (resized).jpg
AL_bad_disp2 (resized).jpg
AL_bad_disp1 (resized).jpg
#1 7 years ago

One of the last issues I had with my EROS ONE machine was with the LED display panels. Several of the IC's were bad and the ones that were working were running extremely warm. I decided the best option was to just rebuild and upgrade them. The display panels are brighter, use less energy, have better filtering, and run cool. The only original parts used were the PCB, connector, caps, and the resistors for the individual LED's.

The new LED's are superbright at a very low current. I used 14 of them from Digi-Key (Part # 1497-1075-5-ND) which had the same pinout. Instead of the 74164 and 7447 chips I went with 74LS164 and 74LS47 as low power replacements. Unsoldered the LEDs, removed the IC's, and all the resistors for the 7-segement displays. From there I installed the new 7 segment displays, new red LED's, sockets for the IC's, and new resistors for the 7-segment displays. At first I tried 1K resistors for the segments but they were way too bright and bumped those up to 2.2K 1/4W which looks good. The resistors for the individual LED's were left alone.

Whenever I've used the TTL chips I usually see a small decoupling/bypass capacitor installed near the power at each chip. The Allied Leisure display panels had pads for those caps at each chip but nothing was installed. Maybe that was a cost cutting measure. I went ahead and installed some .01uf caps at each spot.

I'm really happy with the results. The display panels look great and don't even get warm now. I expect this same upgrade would work on many of their other cocktail pinball machines.

Robert

AL_bad_disp1 (resized).jpgAL_bad_disp1 (resized).jpg
AL_bad_disp2 (resized).jpgAL_bad_disp2 (resized).jpg
AL_bad_disp3 (resized).jpgAL_bad_disp3 (resized).jpg
AL_bad_disp4 (resized).jpgAL_bad_disp4 (resized).jpg

20170218_213648 (resized).jpg20170218_213648 (resized).jpg

#2 7 years ago

Does anyone know how to delete images from a post?? I tried and only ended up marking one image not appropriate for work. Didn't see a way to un-mark it to be appropriate again or an easy way to delete images. Never run into a forum that handled images in such a way..

#3 7 years ago

I removed them for you. When I did it, I went into edit, hovered over the pic, and hit the X. But since I am a moderator it might work differently for me.

#4 7 years ago
Quoted from SealClubber:

I removed them for you. When I did it, I went into edit, hovered over the pic, and hit the X. But since I am a moderator it might work differently for me.

Thank you!

#5 7 years ago
Quoted from SealClubber:

This is indeed how it works for a user as well.

3 years later
#6 3 years ago

Thank You Thank You.
i just got a Eros one up and running to discover bad led segments for the credit display and a bad ic on player 2. I just ordered all new parts for the credit display from digikey and swapped a chip over to player 2. someone had already changed out all the segment digits, so ill leave those alone for now.
Thanks again ill have my game finished shortly..

3 weeks later
#7 3 years ago

I'm definitely getting annoyed with my p2 forcing a leading 4. At a minimum, what do I need to do to fix that? You mentioned bad ICs I think? For now I probably need to do whatever is least invasive/difficult tbh. I've never done any kind of board work and I'm not sure I even have the proper tools.

2 years later
#8 4 months ago

KSUWildcatFan Did you ever find a fix? My wife and I just picked up a Circa 1933 and are beginning a quest to restore it to pristine. We also have a leading 4 issue and a couple burned out partial digits.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/allied-leisure-led-display-rebuild-eros-one?hl=ksuwildcatfan and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.