IMAG5389 (resized).jpg
IMAG5388 (resized).jpg
IMAG5387 (resized).jpg
IMAG5386 (resized).jpg
IMAG5385 (resized).jpg
IMAG5379 (resized).jpg
IMAG5390 (resized).jpg
#1 7 years ago

Hey everyone! I'm working on my first restoration project. I got my Getaway pinball for 50$ out of someone's shed. He said it had been in a barn for 10 plus years. He told me it had a lot of issues, but he said he hadn't gotten around to work on it.
It's pretty rough. The playfield is filthy, but the artwork is in pretty good shape. Every bumper has been replaced because the others were rotted and falling apart.
Here's pictures of it so far.

IMAG5390 (resized).jpgIMAG5390 (resized).jpg

IMAG5379 (resized).jpgIMAG5379 (resized).jpg

IMAG5385 (resized).jpgIMAG5385 (resized).jpg

IMAG5386 (resized).jpgIMAG5386 (resized).jpg

IMAG5387 (resized).jpgIMAG5387 (resized).jpg

IMAG5388 (resized).jpgIMAG5388 (resized).jpg

IMAG5389 (resized).jpgIMAG5389 (resized).jpg

#2 7 years ago

Interesting, this is one you don't see being restored..awesome! I'll follow.

#3 7 years ago

I'll be posting a new set of pictures tomorrow. It has new rubbers and lights in it now. I have cleaned up the playfield a lot, but it's still looking a little rough. I'm thinking I might have to take it apart and do a serious buffing.

#4 7 years ago

This is a game I've wanted. It's a pretty unique layout and would look nice next to my City Slicker.

#5 7 years ago

I would like to see the underside of the playfield.

#6 7 years ago

Nice find...allied leisure games are fairly rare, and this is probably one of the more desirable out of the bunch.

Quoted from Namwreckit:

my first restoration project

Note--parts are rare and expensive, and troubshooting info is scarce. Not something I'd recommend for a first timer. But, try not to get frustrated. These can be interesting machines to tinker with.

Also, be careful when handling, unscrewing and screwing plastic parts..they are not as forgiving as the metal parts everybody else used. Try not to force anything if it doesn't budge...there can be screws where you don't expect.

#7 7 years ago

I second those thoughts and abandoned two AL projects. Made big money parting them out instead. Those individual drop target assemblies are expensive.

I'm sure you've found flippers.com, John has the best selection of AL parts.

Do you have a 3D printer handy?

Good luck!

#9 7 years ago
Quoted from KenLayton:

I would like to see the underside of the playfield.

I'll take a picture of it when I get to the arcade. It's really clean for being in a barn for so long.

Quoted from ForceFlow:

Nice find...allied leisure games are fairly rare, and this is probably one of the more desirable out of the bunch.

Note--parts are rare and expensive, and troubshooting info is scarce. Not something I'd recommend for a first timer. But, try not to get frustrated. These can be interesting machines to tinker with.
Also, be careful when handling, unscrewing and screwing plastic parts..they are not as forgiving as the metal parts everybody else used. Try not to force anything if it doesn't budge...there can be screws where you don't expect.

The only thing broken, that I've seen so far, is the left bumper plastic. I glued it back together but it's still missing a piece :,( and it's missing a target drop. I'm stressing over it some, but I'll be checking out flippers.com.

#10 7 years ago

Check ebay right now--there's someone who parted out a game and has some parts available.

#11 7 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Check ebay right now--there's someone who parted out a game and has some parts available.

Thank you!!!

#12 7 years ago

Here's photos of the inside

IMAG5619 (resized).jpgIMAG5619 (resized).jpg

IMAG5621 (resized).jpgIMAG5621 (resized).jpg

#13 7 years ago

I need a manual so bad.

IMAG5628 (resized).jpgIMAG5628 (resized).jpg

#14 7 years ago

Dont worry, they were cocktails, and I was joking about big money. I did get my money back out of them, so that made me happy.

One had MPU probs another was missing displays. Didn't have them at the same time so couldn't mix and match. Sold the parts to other guys who needed them for a lot less than you could find them at the time, so everyone was happy.

The inserts were so bad on the pf, not sure they would have ever played well anyway.

I got 'smart' and bought a fully working cocktail. Smart and cocktail don't really fit in the same sentence though.

#15 7 years ago
Quoted from Namwreckit:

Here's photos of the inside

Nice shoes.

The underside is pretty neat and clean.

#16 7 years ago
Quoted from Namwreckit:

I need a manual so bad.

Does anyone know what this is called?
One of the wires are on 5 Balls. I wanna bring it to one, but I'm afraid if I just unplug it and plug it into one, I'll mess it up.
Any help?

#17 7 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

Nice shoes.
The underside is pretty neat and clean.

Haha Thank you! Cheap shoes are the best shoes.

#18 7 years ago
Quoted from Namwreckit:

Does anyone know what this is called?
One of the wires are on 5 Balls. I wanna bring it to one, but I'm afraid if I just unplug it and plug it into one, I'll mess it up.
Any help?

It looks like there is a wire on the top to the left side that says number of balls and it's plugged into the number 5. With the game off put it onto the number 3 or 1 or whatever you want. That's my educated guess. If you keep track of where the wire was and where you put it, I don't think you can mess it up.

Can you give a clearer pic of the board?

#19 7 years ago

Star shooter has a manual available:

http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=3500

See page 22 in the PDF.

The Generation 2 games and the cocktail pins used the same MPU, so I'd guess the adjustments are quite similar. I have paperwork for Hoe Down that I can flip through later to verify.

You can try PBResource for paperwork on your game, or flippers.com in Canada.

Honestly, I wouldn't go fiddling with things right off the bat without being sure about what you're changing.

Also, it should go without saying--don't change jumpers around while the game is powered up.

#20 7 years ago

Pages from a Hoe Down manual:

20161103194512638 (resized).jpg20161103194512638 (resized).jpg20161103194624487 (resized).jpg20161103194624487 (resized).jpg

#21 7 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Star shooter has a manual available:
http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=3500
See page 22 in the PDF.
The Generation 2 games and the cocktail pins used the same MPU, so I'd guess the adjustments are quite similar. I have paperwork for Hoe Down that I can flip through later to verify.
You can try PBResource for paperwork on your game, or flippers.com in Canada.
Honestly, I wouldn't go fiddling with things right off the bat without being sure about what you're changing.
Also, it should go without saying--don't change jumpers around while the game is powered up.

Oh my gosh thank you!!

#22 7 years ago

Oh, one other thing while you're going through the game adjustments that might be confusing about Allied Leisure games in particular--the "line 'em up" feature is an early ball match feature.

3 months later
#23 7 years ago

I have Getaway Pin here that I will be parting out, need/want anything?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/allied-leisure-getaway-restoration and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.