Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

lamps (resized).PNG
32,33 (resized).PNG
Boogie (resized).PNG
#1 6 years ago

Hello Everyone,
I looking for anyone that might be able to help with an issue i'm having with a allied leisure boogie. It will coin up and when I press the credit button to start a game it will kick the ball out like its ready to go but it will not select the number of players or ball in play. It seems to play somewhat correctly but does not score and when the ball drained the playfield resets and it kicks the ball out again ready to play. I have checked and cleaned all the cards and reseated all the connectors but still doesn't work. I checked the 5 volt regulator and it good with "4.8 VDC " Once after reseating the player up and lamp driver it started to score and showed the player 1 light but would not roll to player 2,4 or 4 or change from ball in play "1" but after power off and back on it went back to its current stat of not working .
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Bruce

#2 6 years ago

Some info here:

http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=ALI/Fascination_Repair

Are the connector pins clean and free of corrosion?

Does the game go through the playfield reset sequence?

Do you have the theory of operation guide? It is very detailed in listing the sequence of operations and what diagnostic lights should be lit on the boards.

#3 6 years ago

Thanks for the reply,
I have used the pinwiki article previously and fixed a few other issues on the machine.
I will check all the connectors and re clean them to see if that corrects the issues.
Yes it completes the reset sequence, both at the start od a game and when the ball drains.
from the guide clip below it completes step 4 but nothing on step 5

Boogie (resized).PNGBoogie (resized).PNG

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from bigfoot53:

I will check all the connectors and re clean them to see if that corrects the issues.

Not the PCB edge connectors--the large square plugs.

If you have a lot of difficulty trying to seperate them, chances are that they are corroded and may need to be replaced.

http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=ALI/Fascination_Repair#12-pin_Plug.2FReceptacle_Connectors

#5 6 years ago

My Boogie does this every now and then randomly. Each time it SEEMS to be the edge connector for the board on the left side of the cabinet (not head) that's farthest up near the head. I can't remember which board it is, but...

If you've already checked all the other connector bundles like FF said--look for the two (3?) singletons that I always manage to forget one of; they come loose easily, at least on mine--then I would go after all the edge connectors, especially the one I talked about. Shut the machine down first, in fact Unplug the machine for awhile to let everything discharge and suchlike, and reseat that edge connector. Do 'em all just in case. Restart.

Report.

Also, even if they're not corroded, those connector bundles from cab to head are biatch to disconnect.

#6 6 years ago

I checked all the connectors and found a few that were corroded and cleaned them the reseated all the cards and turned it back on. Not much changed the displays looked a little better and a few more lights on the playfield work but that's it. I did notice that if I add 8 credits ant then press start 5 times the LD 32 light on the player up card lights up and if I press start again it goes out then the LD 33 light lights not sure what these do because on the player up card it says they are 11 and 14 pins but on the main print they don't show on the player up pin out. Don't know if that has anything to do with my issue but its a new item Clips of prints attached.

Also is 4.8 vdc ok for the 5 volt regulator or should I replace it ?

I also replaced the IC 22 on the player up card it was a sn7442an chip and the new on is a dm7442n chip does that make any difference ?

Ill be back troubleshooting tomorrow .

Thanks
Bruce

32,33 (resized).PNG32,33 (resized).PNG

lamps (resized).PNGlamps (resized).PNG

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from bigfoot53:

I checked all the connectors and found a few that were corroded and cleaned them

You really need to replace them. You can get the pins here: https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/products.asp?cat=2

Fix those before you start trying to troubleshoot logic/chip issues.

Quoted from bigfoot53:

Also is 4.8 vdc ok for the 5 volt regulator or should I replace it ?

Where are you taking the measurement from? Directly on the regulator or on one of the boards? If it's directly at the regulator, that's too low and by the time the voltage reaches the boards, it will be even lower.

If the 5v is too low, the game will exhibit goofy behavior since it can't activate the logic chips correctly.

http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=ALI/Fascination_Repair#Strange.2FMalfunctioning_Game_Logic_Issues

Unfortunately, the fixed 5v regulator is not available, so you have to replace it with an adjustable 5v regulator with additional circuitry or a 5v power supply (like the ones used in arcade games).

http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=ALI/Fascination_Repair#5v_Regulator

Quoted from bigfoot53:

I also replaced the IC 22 on the player up card it was a sn7442an chip and the new on is a dm7442n chip does that make any difference ?

It should be fine. The letters at the front usually signify the manufacturer of the chip.

#8 6 years ago

Thanks for the info ill get some of the of the pins and connectors .
I did some more checking of the 5 vdc and found it to be 4.75 at the cards so I pulled the shroud and found that someone previous to me had changed the regulator to a LM323 which is not the correct one only rated at 3 amps so ill look into changing it back to the correct regulator if I happen to have one in my stsch of loder electronics or update it to an adjustable one .
Ill keep everyone updated when I get it changed.

Thanks
Bruce

#9 6 years ago

Just wanted to update both of you.
I received the new regulator and installed it . I now have 4.95 vdc but still had the same issues. With a little more testing I found that the head box lamp driver card had a shorted cap and that was drawing down the system now that that is corrected I now have all the lights working and the player 1 display flashes as it should . But I have a few new issues the 10's will not score and the chimes only sound briefly when the machine is powered up. it seems to be stuck in same player shoot again mode as the slights flash until the launch a ball but then they stay on solid and that repeats forever. I don't see anything on the player up card that looks suspect and cant seem to figure out what makes the game trigger the same player shoot again logic any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Bruce

#10 6 years ago

First thing I'd do is backtrace the logic paths for what triggers the shoot again lamps.

I'd start with IC1 on the player up board.

1 week later
#11 6 years ago

Latest Update.

I did some checking with a logic probe and found that both IC1 and IC 9 were not functioning correctly IC1 had a visible burn spot on the under side of the chip. Very difficult to see when the chip is in place. Both IC's have been replaced. I put sockets in place for easier chip swaps if ever needed
Testing with the newly chips in place seemed to fix the shoot again issue but also produced new issues. the score for the current player no longer flashes before the ball is put in play. although it does now light the player one and ball in play 1 light as well as players light but if you select more than one player the machine tilts as soon as you press the button to add a player
Could this ne an issue on multiple card's ? or something I did during the chip update?
Would anyone with a working boogie or sister pin be willing to test my cards to verify it is either one of them or an issue somewhere else ?

Thanks
Bruce

#12 6 years ago

You'll have to backtrace the logic and see where those paths take you. There are probably still one or more bad chips.

Quoted from bigfoot53:

but if you select more than one player the machine tilts as soon as you press the button to add a player

Does it tilt after you hit a coin switch, or tilt only after adding another player?

If after adding another player, I might guess something on the player up board responsible for the logic when the credit switch his pressed (starting at pin D).

You can also try setting up a camera to record the diagnostic lights on the border and slowing down the playback speed to try to figure out the sequence of operations leading up to the fault.

#13 6 years ago

Thanks for the info.
I cleaned all the boards and did see a little improvement still tilts but now it seems to play a single player for a longer time then just tilts out of the blue its like something is heating up and opening the tilt circuit. Ill keep looking and hopefully find the faulty chips soon

Thanks
Bruce

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from bigfoot53:

Thanks for the info.
I cleaned all the boards and did see a little improvement still tilts but now it seems to play a single player for a longer time then just tilts out of the blue its like something is heating up and opening the tilt circuit. Ill keep looking and hopefully find the faulty chips soon
Thanks
Bruce

If it's tilting at random, first check all the tilt switches and make sure they are working properly and the screws that should be insulated from switch blades are actually insulated.

Then, backtrace the logic path for the tilt function through the boards and see what chips it passes through.

2 weeks later
7 months later
#16 5 years ago

Hello,
Sorry for the long delay No further progress thus far have been back at my woodworking projects so wont get back to this issue till late October at the earliest Have a big show coming up .

Thanks
Bruce

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/allied-leisure-boogie-troubleshooting and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.