New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 257065)

Alley Cat to Road King CPU Problems

By troxel

10 months ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 months ago by troxel
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_3158 (resized).JPG
IMG_4629 (resized).JPG

#1 10 months ago

Recently got a Road Kings with severe battery corrosion. I ended up getting an Alley Cat system 11 board and trying to convert it to Road Kings. I am getting no numbers on the CPU LED. Game is on my bench and just hooked up the power connector at 1J17. Here's what I have done so far:

Checked all voltages to ROMS, RAMs, and PIAs.
1. Added missing components (K1 relay, resistors, and transistors)
2. Replaced U26 and verified the other 3 ROMs.
3. Replaced RAM at U25.
4. Reset and clock are both good on U15.

What else can I check and does anyone know what the jumpers should be? I checked with my old board and some of the jumpers are different.

Pictures are of the old and new CPU.

Thanks!

IMG_3158 (resized).JPGIMG_4629 (resized).JPG
#2 10 months ago

Did you test it with the Alley Cat romset first to make sure it was booting and working?

Hard to say what the issue might be since so much stuff had to be added and replaced - but if the board is the same core board, yes, all the jumpers that were on your at one time working Road Kings board would have to be duplicated on the other board, since that would be the configuration that Road Kings would expect.

#3 10 months ago

I agree. The now Road King board jumpers need to match the Alley Cat board. Also, I don't recall 6808 CPU chips being in any System 11 MPU I ever had. That may require other jumper settings.

Do you have 2 other good 6802 CPU to try in place of 6808?

#4 10 months ago

Schematics show a 6808 for the sound cpu, the other main cpu can be either, but would need u23 installed/working/jumpered to use a 6808 there.

#5 10 months ago

I put in Leon's test ROM and the PIAs, RAM, and outputs all passed the test. I just followed this guide...https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Leon_Borre_Williams_System_11_Repair.

Does this lead me back to the jumpers? I have W1, W2 (one side connected to the left hole), W4, W5 not W6 and W7.

The jumper locations on the 2 boards are different. The original board has w10/w11 along with w14/w15 and the newer one doesn't have these.

Thanks!

#6 10 months ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Do you have 2 other good 6802 CPU to try in place of 6808?

#7 10 months ago

I don't think I have 2 6802s. I'll have to check when I get home. I am curious to why Leon's Rom works, but the game won't boot when I put back Rom 26.

Isn't the only difference the ROM and +5 jumper to zr1.

#8 10 months ago

for sure you need to jumper the board exactly like your original. Then see what the missing jumpers do [check schematic] and then whether or not you can make it so on the other board.

Should be easy to do. I have used both 6802 and 6808 variant cpu chips and both worked for me.

1 month later
#9 9 months ago

Got the game booting! Burned another u27 and replaced a couple of sockets.

Any other advice needed to to run this board (early version of system 11) into my Road Kings?

Update--I didn't need to do anything for the sound. I plugged it back into my machine and all sounds and audio worked.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 9.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
$ 27.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 22.50
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Bokchito, OK
Playfield - Plastics
Ramp-O-Matic
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 17.00
$ 62.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 10.00
Cabinet Parts
Flashinstinct
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside