Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 131 posts
  • 79 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by bigd1979
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20150503_172605_508.jpg
    photo (27).JPG
    DSC01544.JPG
    DSC01543.JPG
    DSC01542.JPG
    DSC01538.JPG
    DSC01536.JPG
    DSC01535.JPG
    image.jpg
    2015-05-02 20.39.57.jpg
    398970-i.jpg
    398969-i.jpg
    image.jpg
    20150502_192435-848.jpg
    image-143.jpg
    image-567.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider megadeth2600.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#43 8 years ago

I got the flooded Pirates of the Caribbean on Friday for $1500. It was worth the risk to me, but I'm sick in the head. Had I had the space in my Element, I would have nabbed that Transformers LE too if it was complete. I saw it was missing the backglass (it was an LE ... that would have been pretty difficult to replace ... I think those had a glass vs. a translite). I didn't bother to check it out since I knew I couldn't fit it and I didn't want to dwell on it if it was complete. He was asking $1800 for that ... I think I could have worked a 2 for 1 deal, but, again, I flat out couldn't fit it with the other stuff I was bringing home.

I *love* projects like this!!! I used to come across various levels of destruction like this all of the time years ago . It brought back some good and bad memories. I actually wanted a PotC, so I figured it'd be worth the risk. If I hit a brick wall, I can save the parts to make a "Sid Meier's Pirates!" custom machine when I retire early and make custom pins for a living (i.e. not going to happen).

Anyway, the good so far :

Turns out that the PotC was complete aside from the lockdown bar, translite, translite trim, translite glass, and DMD. I already have a spare DMD. Translite is on its way.

Playfield is NOT warped nor water damaged which shocked the living hell out of me!!! I expected to see *something* bad. I won't know if it's completely OK to use until I have everything stripped, but it's looking really nice. It doesn't seem to have any wear at all. I didn't find any mold too!

Everything on top of the playfield is cleaning up nicely though I have a LONG LONG LONG way to go (i.e. the toys, plastics, assemblies, etc).

The cabinet is fine (I am replacing the MDF stuff in the head and bottom though). The artwork looks great. Not perfect, but there is no warping of the main cabinet parts. The cabinet will be scrubbed inside and out ... the inside will be repainted. (I do that anyway during a restoration).

The bad so far :

Gonna have to sandblast, tumble, and recoat several metal pieces. Rust! .

There was battery acid damage. I've fixed this a million times on older Bally/Williams games. I gave it a vinegar bath and rinsed it, simple greened it, rinsed again, another vinegar bath, rinsed ... I'm going to power it up tomorrow. That's going to be fun ! So long as that Xilinx PLD is OK, I can repair it if need be (unless I can get the programming file for it). I also soaked parts of the backbox harnesses in the event the acid creeped in the connectors.

I am going to replace the cabinet bottom and head back panel since that material is rather porous and exposed. What shocks me is that it didn't swell up like a balloon. Still, I'd feel better having new MDF. You can clean up the painted stuff ... evil micro-critters won't get in there, but MDF seems like it could hold nasty smells and mold spores.

A few motors are not sealed. I expect to have problems with those. Can't wait to see how that goes .

---

I've done this level of rescue before. First time was a Data East Star Trek and somewhat recently an Addams Family.

I plan on keeping this ... I don't sell System 11 and beyond stuff very often. Seems like a few games I have sold are ones that I really want back (Bride of Pinbot is my biggest regret ... man that BoP 2.0 is frigging sweet and I'd love to have one just to play that!).

If it ever gets put up for sale, the potential buyer WILL know how I got it (I might make my first restoration thread on Pinside ... at a minimum, I'll take enough photos for a teardown archive of this machine in the event someone needs them in the future). I would never sell a machine that I got in this state w/o letting a buyer know. Quite frankly, anything that was in a fire or flood should come with that warning ... there are a lot of bad smells and potentially hazardous organisms (mainly from floods, mold being the biggest concern). If you know what you're doing, you can certainly address those issues. I would hope others do the same. I'd feel like I was ripping someone off if I didn't warn them. This game is by no means hazmat, but it's the decent thing to do when someone plunks down cash for a game.

#45 8 years ago

If that Transformers was complete, it was a deal so long as you can repair stuff yourself . I wonder if someone on Pinside wound up with it ... to be perfectly honest, had I bought that, it would have been restored and traded as I simply don't care for that game ... only thing killing me is that I probably could have landed something really nice in a trade. Oh well .

#47 8 years ago

I suspect the "LE" was throwing the seller off on price. I didn't know that it was missing boards too ... OK, I feel a bit better now . I hope someone didn't overpay for it ... w/o boards and backglass, it's mainly a parts machine at that point. You'd be spending at least $1K for all of that assuming you can even find a backglass.

I was also hoping to talk with the seller of that Swords Of Fury and Cyclone that were pretty rough ... they were inside in the front row as you walked inside. I called and texted him ... never heard back. That was before I decided to get that PotC though.

#59 8 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

It looked like it had been completely submerged. The plastic parts were discolored, pretty much anything that was metal was fully covered in rust, and the cabinet was iffy.

This was not the case with the PotC I grabbed. Anything plastic looked fine after cleaning. Various metal pieces certainly have rust, but it's more of a surface rust that will clean up just fine. Only reason I mentioned sandblasting is that it's easier/faster to do. I planned on getting all of the wireforms and the like replated gold.

I have no idea why my cabinet is pretty much fine. The fiberboard on the bottom should be a bloated mess if this was submerged even for a few seconds. There was certainly an insane amount of filth on the playfield, but I am not seeing any water damage on the playfield. I'm *really* perplexed .

Quoted from ForceFlow:

Considering raw sewage was mixed in with the flood waters, I'd be wary of it.

ANYTHING that was in a flood has to be handled assuming the worst . I have enough margin to get an NOS playfield for this just to be safe though I am not seeing any signs of pending death on the underside. I'll put some pics up soon.

I missed a flood Iron Man and a cheap project WCS94?!?!?! ARGH. I need to get to these shows earlier!!! . When did those get purchased?

#84 8 years ago
    Quoted from boneman91:

I was at the show early Friday. Took one look inside that POTC and walked away. Looked like way to much trouble for me. Lots of rust on the underside of the playfield. Would love to see how you clean it up, and how much it costs to get running, so I won't be such a puss next time.

I will. I'm going to be heading outside to start dismantling the game and begin the playfield teardown. These things are only worth it if most of the major parts are present and working . They're present, but who knows if they're working. If I have to go on a motor shopping spree, I would have been far better off buying a good one obviously .

Quoted from boneman91:

Good luck. It is awesome you can bring dead and destroyed pins back to life. The more pins we can save, the more we can play!

I've always gotten a kick out of restoring stuff . This won't look like a HEP when I'm done, but it won't be a slouch either . I try and shoot for "Player Plus" when I restore stuff ... I don't have the talent to give it that extra "Dear God Man! How did you do that?!?!" look .

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider megadeth2600.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/allentown-what-did-you-score?tu=megadeth2600 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.