(Topic ID: 49572)

Allentown: ToTAN sold, WoZ bought, machines beaten on, friends met...!

By NJGecko

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 85 posts
  • 39 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by TheLaw
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider njgecko.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 10 years ago

Just made it home and wanted to share my recap. Where to start....

Brought ToTAN. Got there early yesterday and set up. Dropped my CV armor off with Alex for some tasty powdercoat. Lots of interest on ToTAN, but no offers. Realized that it was priced as the most expensive machine on the floor. The MM and AFM were both not for sale...that explained it. Changed the sign to best offer today
Last night as you may have seen, the game died. This morning picked up a refurb power driver board from Mayfair, game came back to life. I was going to repair it myself, but someone made me an offer on the old board. Machine sold after lunchtime...that made me really happy. Walked over and handed the cash over to Jack and ordered a WoZ. That was actually pretty neat, I ordered and handed the cash to Jack directly, and I'm going to be able to pick the game up from the factory when it's ready.

I met a lot of great people...folks I've known before and I had a few people come up to me and introduce themselves to me. I guess everybody recognized the guy working in the ToTAN...my wife got a laugh out of people walking up to me asking if I was NJGecko! It really was fantastic to meet up with the people...this show I really felt like I was a part of a community. Last year at York wasn't the same feeling.

The bad...I don't think I will ever bring a machine to a show again. I know the game hasn't been played for hours on end like this for years so it got a workout. By the time the game sold it was throwing errors and as the buyer and I checked through it, there were broken coils, switches with the wires broken off of the leads...OK, that's fine. Wear and tear. The machine had 150+ plays on it by the time it was wrapped. But the treatment some people gave the game really sickened me.
At various times I saw:
Shaking (REALLY shaking)
Smacking (hard enough to tilt the game)
People picking up the entire machine and moving it into an empty spot (it was directly under a light so the glare was bad, I understand) but really...two people just picked it up?
And the worst was seeing someone pick up the front of the game and slam it onto the ground to try to clear a stick ball.
I was floored at the abuse that game got. I feel bad enough nudging a machine that's not mine.

Anyway...home now!

#5 10 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

That shouldn't be the worst thing, happens all the time. I've been doing that for 15+ years.
For revenge, a couple weeks ago I did that to my PM and forgot the translite wasn't locked. It fell directly on my head and hurt. Well played Capcom!
EDIT: I've also been known to rage shake some games...of course only tournament games whcih we all know deserve it.

That may be the case in the wild, but at shows, I can't accept that kind of behavior...these aren't operators bringing games expecting some abuse. A nudge is fine, but lifting the front legs 6" off the ground and dropping the machine...? And knowing it's someone's personal machine? No...that's just not right! It's like if you rent a car from Hertz. It's going to be beaten to snot. But if a friend lets you borrow their restored vette, you treat it as such.

I still can't believe I saw people pick up the entire machine and move it..that took the cake!

It's like anything else...some people are different than others. I had a call to clear a stuck ball. It was nice, the guy waited for me to come clear it, thanked me, and happily played a game when I was done.

#13 10 years ago

Thanks for all of the feedback...
Gnatty, maybe it was a misunderstanding...when we were there and you mentioned the glare I asked if you guys wanted to lend a hand and help me move it. When you declined, I figured it was good as it was. Turned around a minute later and see it moving...

Law...yea, these games were made to be used...but on the other hand, they are also a decade+ old and most haven't been on for more than an hour or two at a time in a long time.

I was surprised how much these games worked. When I went over to dislodge a ball at one point, the amount of heat coming off of the playfield really shocked me!

For those folks asking me how much it went for, I will just leave it at it went for a hair under $6. Sure I was hoping for more, but that's a fair price I think. Little less than I wanted, little more than the buyer wanted, and in the end neither parts was totally happy which is the sign of a good deal I think It was actually nice, the buyer was on the fence for a while and once he made his mind up and I handed him the keys he was smiling ear to ear.

I felt bad for the guy who was next to me on Friday. He was setting up an EM (not sure which it was) and said he was selling it because, among other reasons, he didn't know enough about how to fix them, so he wanted to sell it. And when he moved it to the show something broke. He had a lot of trouble trying to find help to fix it, and I'm not sure he ever got it working...

#15 10 years ago

Give "the pin" ten minutes on the floor there...it would be a pile of firewood!

#20 10 years ago

Speaking of toilet did anyone else find the bathroom attendant a little creepy?

#22 10 years ago

Yea. It was great to see him by his tips bowl as there were no paper towels, no hand soap, and it looked like someone missed the urinal completely and he still just sat there.

#33 10 years ago

Bill...you're a funny guy! But it's outta my gameroom, so if someone made road art out of it...well, you know!

Oh, and thanks for mopping up my exploding soda...I thought that was going to be a bad omen for the rest of the show.

#37 10 years ago

I can definitely see both sides of this one. Yes, the games are made for some "lively" play. But this isn't an arcade and the games mostly aren't owned by ops. These are people's personal property.

Same "car" analogy I threw out before. If you go to a car show and some cars are there to be driven, do you take someone's Shelby Cobra and whip it around, dump the clutch, power slide it...? Yea, the car was made for it, but that was years ago before it became an expensive personal piece of property.

#39 10 years ago

Definitely wasn't me...although that would have been an impressive trick if I could manage to fit ToTAN in that on the drive out!

#70 10 years ago
Quoted from Newsom:

I find it interesting that many people on this thread draw such a distinction between pins that are brought to a show and pins that are on location.
As though pins on location have it coming to them, but pins at show should be coddled.
I doubt that the general public (non collectors, possible show attendees) is in agreement with this distinction.

I think there is a distinction to a certain point. Pins on location are like rental cars. They aren't viewed as personal possessions, they are more like objects. You don't see many ops pouring blood and sweat into restoring pins on route.
Pins at shows are people's babies. They are brought to show great examples of machines. Many people have spent a lot of time and money to make them shine. The expectation is that they are treated like that. The other side of it is the people. A pin in a bar...well, you get any tom or bob in there, throw a few drinks into them, and they walk over and beat the tar out of a machine. At a show, people are there to see the machines. They are the primary focus not an afterthought.

#75 10 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Well I'm hope you'll be glad to know the guy you (Newsome) are replying to IS an Op.. and makes huge sacrafices to put pin on location mainly for the love of pinball.. not the gains. So when you talk as if location games are faceless things that don't deserve the same respect... I think you're pretty much pissing into the wind.
Add to that, he's a world class player and knows what players of intensity from around the world play with.

I'm not sure why you're so hell-bent on pushing your point that it's basically OK to beat on machines and miss specific point. I said "many" ops don't do that, not "all" and I said that for a reason. You occasionally find ops that do take care of their games. But I've seen many more games on location that are filthy, broken, or both.

#78 10 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

The point is.. expectations of behavior really are no different from location, to show, to home.
The problem is people have this distorted reality of what 'abuse' is... when people talk about slapping the cabinet, shaking, or nudging as abuse.. there is a discovery process that really needs to happen here.
I guess people have never seen someone shake a ball up an outlane or something on a EM.
Oh.. and players I'm sure you've seen their names.. heck.. they even organize the world rankings.. Sharpes... hope you never let them play your game either! Since obviously by the standards listed here.. they abuse everything they play.

I fully understand shaking and nudging. Those are all part of the game and to be expected. It's the abuse that's above and beyond.

#80 10 years ago

I'm going to just stop before this turns into a pissing match. You have your opinion and I have mine.

I don't think I need to grow a thicker skin when people pick up a machine with the front legs off the ground and DROP it. That's not normal. Normal is nudging, some slap-saves, some shaking, etc.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 24.50
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 199.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 55.00
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
San Jose, CA
$ 5.00
$ 29.99
Hardware
Classic Game Rooms

Lighting - Led
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
St. Clair Shores, MI
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

9,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Santa Maria, CA
$ 91.00
$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider njgecko.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/allentown-totan-sold-woz-bought-machines-beaten-on-friends-met?tu=njgecko and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.