Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 444 posts
  • 197 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by hazmat7719
  • Topic is favorited by 13 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20190503_174231 (resized).jpg
    IMG_4591 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3154_1481578557 (resized).jpg
    1e3fc843317159e5d2fdafb7a679f29de2fbbdaa (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    9ad7b7de064b9fc7d16ae9a93a09e2256ea71f54 (resized).jpg
    image-4 (resized).jpg
    image-6 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20190508-113032_Chrome (resized).jpg
    20190508_054754 (resized).jpg
    77169A18-29DD-4480-BACE-4030644A3BD6 (resized).jpeg
    20190503_153325_resized (resized).jpg
    0 (resized).jpg
    Bad Cat Jack (resized).jpg
    Todd Tuckey 2019 (resized).jpg
    Oscur (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider whysnow.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#33 4 years ago

sounds like the show is changing dramatically.

Allentown was definitely a blast for the wife and I last year, but that was largely because it was still a pinhead show and not a general public expo.

If this was marketed as an expo similar to TPF and MGC, I could see that as being a rude awakening to all the old timers that have helped build it up to what it is. It had a lot of charm last year and part of that was the ease of access and that is was just a bunch of pinheads having fun with each other.

Each show is different and it does seem many promoters are making it all about cashing in and no doubt these things can make big bucks for those running them (granted without pins the shows wont happen at all so I can see the OPs point in needing more than $20 in perks for bringing a game that is generating hundreds in head count revenue form the general public in attendance). I think this is a tricky balance that all shows are going to need to think about.

#97 4 years ago
    Quoted from 27dnast:

“A pinhead show and not a general public expo...”

WTF are you talking about? What’s up with elitist “you don’t belong” attitude that some collectors carry.

sorry you misunderstood what I was saying...

'A pinhead show' meaning that the vast majority of people were collectors and those that appreciate the finer aspects of game quality, restorations, rare stuff, etc... It is fun to go to hobbyist shows like that where you can nerd out and learn and genuinely connect with other like minded people.

'A general public show' is what many of these are becoming. Basically a pop up arcade where it is mass promoted to the general publoc and the vast majority in attendance are their for entertainment and not to nerd out as a hobbyist.

Both are fine and dandy. Just pointing out how any show going through growing pains and changes could be alarming for those that go expecting the first and arrive to the second.

Keep in mind that as a person bringing a game and supporting a show, the audience can greatly impact your decision to bring a game.
    Also keep in mind that when people bringing games are only compensated with a minimal amount but those same games are the major drawn bringing in big ticket sales for an event... it starts to change the dynamic for some.

#332 4 years ago

the only thing that pisses me off is nobody has posted a picture of the mini waffle and Neapolitan ice cream sandwiches they made fresh in the main hall as the food station!!!!

those are Fing amazing!

#337 4 years ago
    Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

wait ... what? you need 100 leg bolts?

That is only enough for 12 games and a few mis threads...

Seems like a reasonable amount to buy.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider whysnow.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/allentown-sucked?tu=whysnow and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.