Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 444 posts
  • 197 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by hazmat7719
  • Topic is favorited by 13 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20190503_174231 (resized).jpg
    IMG_4591 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3154_1481578557 (resized).jpg
    1e3fc843317159e5d2fdafb7a679f29de2fbbdaa (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    9ad7b7de064b9fc7d16ae9a93a09e2256ea71f54 (resized).jpg
    image-4 (resized).jpg
    image-6 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20190508-113032_Chrome (resized).jpg
    20190508_054754 (resized).jpg
    77169A18-29DD-4480-BACE-4030644A3BD6 (resized).jpeg
    20190503_153325_resized (resized).jpg
    0 (resized).jpg
    Bad Cat Jack (resized).jpg
    Todd Tuckey 2019 (resized).jpg
    Oscur (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider forceflow.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#8 4 years ago

If you're looking to have fun, you will probably have fun.

Yeah, the line was probably the biggest downside for people, unfortunately. But that just shows how popular the show has become.

I always enjoy going to pinfest every year.

#22 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinDeLaPin:

PS if anyone sees Larry from Starship fantasy at the show will they please tell him to make the damn Boulder set for Whitewater so I can buy it? Sorry i digress been waiting for almost 2yrs for these now.

Unfortunately, he was unable to attend as per a post in one of the event threads.

#295 4 years ago
    Quoted from Syco54645:

So if we are going for forum activity then I will talk as I am semi active. Sorry but allentown show just plain sucks. I have gone 3 years and every time it was a waste of time, prices on parts were more than had I ordered online, some cases 2-3x more. The "vendors" are going down hill and do not match, why the hell do I need companies that sell random, unrelated things?! Yeah let me go to a pinball show to talk to a gutter leaf guard...
    The games in freeplay are ok enough but honestly I will just go to papa or Pinburg and have a cheaper (and not to mention better) time.
    Last time I went was to get a playfield from someone I did not even bother going into the show...

It takes a lot of time, effort, traveling, and staffing for a vendor to attend a show with their wares--there are a lot of expenses involved that you might not be aware of, including freight shipping, transportation, hotels, booth rental, table rental, food, etc.

So yeah, some of the smaller parts/supplies might be more expensive (sometimes because of rounding a $0.89 item to $1 for ease of transactions, or other price increases just general markup), but some of the larger stuff you can get deals on (legs, playfields, backglasses, coin doors, glass, other bulky items), especially if you're saving on shipping. Shop smart, and you can get deals.

I like going for the flea market--it can be a goldmine for parts and project games.

For those of in the northeast who don't have a dedicated pinball venue anywhere near us, Pinfest, Pintastic, and now Saratoga are fun events to play games you wouldn't otherwise have access to on location. PAPA is nearly 8 hours from me. It's not practical to go there. It's great that you have that resource available to you, but I'm grateful of the events that are held in the northeast that I have available to me. I don't just go for free play--I go for the buying & selling and seeing all the people I've met within the hobby. Heck, I don't think I played more than 10 games this year, but I still had fun with other aspects of the show.

You are free to choose whichever show/establishment you want to patronize, but I appreciate all the shows that I am able to attend, those of whom who are able to organize them, and everyone who participates in them (staff, volunteers, vendors, and everyone who brings games). It takes a lot of work from a lot of people, and making a broad sweeping statement that "it sucks" is incredibly disingenuous to everyone involved. Yes, there are usually aspects that can be improved upon every year, but if you go there looking to have fun, fun is what you'll find. If you go there with the intention of being a sour grape, that's probably what you'll get out of it.

#322 4 years ago
    Quoted from Syco54645:

Chair was an example from a previous year, I believe it was at Allentown pinfest but not entirely certain.

I don't recall seeing any massage chairs, gutters, gardening, or home repair stuff in the vendor hall this year or in past years.

However, I do seem to recall seeing a 1960's barber chair one year in the outdoor flea market area. Maybe that's what you were thinking of?

#355 4 years ago
    Quoted from JodyG:

If you missed out on getting enough glass at the show, contact your local glass supply house in town. As a joe blow off the street, I get it for $34 a piece. You have to wait a week or so for it to come in, since it has to be custom cut then tempered. Just tell them you want it 21" x 43" x 3/16" thick with no edge treatment.

Quoted from arcademojo:

You also have to make sure there is no "tempered glass" bug on them. Most glass companies stamp them.

Also be sure to shop around. Most local glass places farm out the production of tempered glass to another facility since they don't have the furnace for it. In that case, a sheet could cost somewhere around $80.

Additionally, there is usually a minimum amount in square feet per order, so you may need to order more than one sheet at a time.

#361 4 years ago

I always put a new piece of glass in games. The difference between a new sheet and and old scuffed up one is like night and day.

Always new leg levelers. Legs and bolts...depends on the condition, since you're not normally looking at the legs/bolts too much. Generally, I'll just buff them up if they're in good shape. If they're all rusty, crusty, chewed up, etc, I'll get new ones. Depending on the game, sometimes new legs just aren't available, so you have to work with what you've got.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider forceflow.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/allentown-sucked?tu=forceflow and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.