Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 444 posts
  • 197 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by hazmat7719
  • Topic is favorited by 13 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20190503_174231 (resized).jpg
    IMG_4591 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3154_1481578557 (resized).jpg
    1e3fc843317159e5d2fdafb7a679f29de2fbbdaa (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    9ad7b7de064b9fc7d16ae9a93a09e2256ea71f54 (resized).jpg
    image-4 (resized).jpg
    image-6 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20190508-113032_Chrome (resized).jpg
    20190508_054754 (resized).jpg
    77169A18-29DD-4480-BACE-4030644A3BD6 (resized).jpeg
    20190503_153325_resized (resized).jpg
    0 (resized).jpg
    Bad Cat Jack (resized).jpg
    Todd Tuckey 2019 (resized).jpg
    Oscur (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider SilverUnicorn.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#157 4 years ago
    Quoted from delt31:

I do think $20 sounds awfully low especially if the crowd size is expanding
    I would think the amount paid to people bringing games should increase as the show grows.

For the record, people are not paid to bring a game. In exchange for bringing a game you get free admission on the days the game is there. Bring 2 games, get 2 admissions. But you get more than that really. You can get in on Thursday for setup. You can get in early (with no lines mind you) on Friday and Saturday. When you do that you can talk to collectors, vendors, and pinheads without the crowds and noise (like the OP wanted).

I don't play much at the show at all. I walk around, look at the new stuff, look for parts, and talk to some wonderful people. I like to see people enjoying pinball, and especially the machine(s) I bring to the show.

And if anyone thinks Ivan is getting rick off this I sincerely doubt it. He had a great staff who work very hard and I am betting they don't work for free (although I don't know that). The building isn't free. He puts it all together and it is very stressful. I think he SHOULD make some money for that. But getting rich off the people who bring games? Nope. Ivan doesn't live in a mansion in the Hamptons. I've been to his house. He is a local who love pinball and wants to let others love it as well.

Chris

#166 4 years ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

A few of us go all the way back to the beginning of the Pinball Wizards Convention when it was held at the Trexlertown firehouse, and had maybe 40 games set up for play. I believe that was an invitation only event.
    My first show was the third one ever held, and it was at the Fullerton firehouse in Whitehall. I remember hearing a story from a guy who brought a freshly restored Gottlieb "Central Park" to one of the early shows, and caught a woman changing her baby's diaper on his game! What's new is old!

It's really hard to believe this all started in that small firehouse hall. I was at a few of those. I remember going because of an ad in the paper I think. Those were great times, and to see what Brian (an now Ivan) have made of this is just amazing.

Chris

#235 4 years ago

Was worth it just for this

Had a nice conversation with Jack. Was nice to talk to him one on one and not in his booth with all the commotion. He told me that Bad Cats 2 is the next title but don't tell anyone!

And Todd is always a hoot!

Bad Cat Jack (resized).jpgBad Cat Jack (resized).jpgTodd Tuckey 2019 (resized).jpgTodd Tuckey 2019 (resized).jpg
    #257 4 years ago

I miss when Steve Young was at the shows. If something broke on a game, you could almost guarantee he had a replacement. Now it's hit or miss (usually miss). a few years back my LOTR broke one of the fork switches. NOBODY had one, and that's not a super rare part.

Modders would do well. There was just about everything to Mod your game. the show used to be like an old school auto parts store, with helpful people and parts you couldn't find anywhere. Now it's more of a Pep Boys of modding and flashy lights.

Ant that's ok if that's your thing, and you'd do well here for that. This is why things like the flea market are great. They have many parts as well, albeit usually used, but you can often find something you need in a pinch (unless it's a stern fork switch. LOL).

I guess what I am trying to say is that I feel there is something for everyone at this show. Not just new, not just old, but a good mix of both.

And this is why I will keep coming back.It also helps that I am only 20 minutes away from the show, but I would still come if I were further.

Chris

#272 4 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

Actually observing both... in one case it was 2 women playing Bad Cats who didn't wish to give up the machine (they played game after game even with a number of people in line behind them) in another was an older gent who clearly was familiar with the game he was playing and had a running dialog going on with his buddy while playing.
    Again, these people didn't ruin our experience. There will always be thoughtless people in a crowd. We simply moved on to other games and came back to both later. My wife is already looking at the calendar to see what else is on the horizon for shows.

Not sure if this happened on my Bad Cats (the one toward the front) or the one in the back, but if you're near the area you're always welcome to stop over and play mine. Well, once I get it set up again

Chris

#276 4 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

One toward the back with the seafood wheel not working time to time.
    And we still had fun =)

Hmmmm, that sounds like mine as the seafood wheel stopped working as well. Either way, the offer stands

Chris

#278 4 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

This one, my wife liked it very much. I'm commanded to find one if possible.
    [quoted image]

Yes, that was the one in the back as you stated. That one was quite nice. Sort of glad it had the same issue mine did. LOL.

Hope you can find one!

Chris

#350 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Every game I get receives a new set of shiny new leg bolts.
    It’s literally the least you can do to spruce
    Up a game.

Quoted for truth. Another thing that amazed me was how much new playfield glass makes a difference. This is the first time I ever bought new glass since I always thought the old ones were only a little scratched and "just fine". Boy was I wrong!!! Now it looks like there's no glass in the darn game at all!

Thanks for making glass available at an affordable price Ivan!

Chris

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider SilverUnicorn.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/allentown-sucked?tu=SilverUnicorn and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.