Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 444 posts
  • 197 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by hazmat7719
  • Topic is favorited by 13 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20190503_174231 (resized).jpg
    IMG_4591 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3154_1481578557 (resized).jpg
    1e3fc843317159e5d2fdafb7a679f29de2fbbdaa (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    9ad7b7de064b9fc7d16ae9a93a09e2256ea71f54 (resized).jpg
    image-4 (resized).jpg
    image-6 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20190508-113032_Chrome (resized).jpg
    20190508_054754 (resized).jpg
    77169A18-29DD-4480-BACE-4030644A3BD6 (resized).jpeg
    20190503_153325_resized (resized).jpg
    0 (resized).jpg
    Bad Cat Jack (resized).jpg
    Todd Tuckey 2019 (resized).jpg
    Oscur (resized).jpg

There are 444 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 9.
    #401 4 years ago
    Quoted from RatShack:

A lot of games you can start a new game by holding in the start button if it's on ball 2 or 3.

I have been in this habit for over 20 years now and never knew that !!!! Thanks for the heads up !

#402 4 years ago

"The easier way is to just reboot the game. Power switch under/near left front leg of game."

True, but I hate power cycling other people's games. I couldn't care less if it were mine, but some people get upset about that.

#403 4 years ago
    Quoted from rollinover:

More people should come to the Ohio show
    No lines and needs to be built back up
    You won’t have any issues getting in lol

I have no idea why that show became a turd. It's at a decent location and is near some of the towns/cities with loads of collectors. I first went around 2011 IIRC (may have been a bit later). It was awesome. It slowly went downhill. Last year was terrible, and this year was only marginally better.

I'll only go back if Mr. Dayhuff is there with his parts .

#404 4 years ago
    Quoted from megadeth2600:

I have no idea why that show became a turd. It's at a decent location and is near some of the towns/cities with loads of collectors. I first went around 2011 IIRC (may have been a bit later). It was awesome. It slowly went downhill. Last year was terrible, and this year was only marginally better.
    I'll only go back if Mr. Dayhuff is there with his parts .

I went the one time it was just over the PA border. I wouldn't make that trip again for that show, let alone another hour and a half where it is now.

#405 4 years ago

Problem with that layout is the majority of the vendors want the wall space for display and security reasons. Also having the games playing next to their booths makes it hard for them to hear and do business.

Quoted from JodyG:

One way to make vendors and attendees happy:
    Break the rooms up differently. Make the main show area into something like quadrants, with a single row of machines around the outside of each quadrant (facing in), and put vendors in the middle of each of these quadrants. You have more room for attendees, and vendors are right in the middle of all the foot traffic. Move the tournament into the back room. The used part vendor area could be set up more efficiently if they didn't have their large vehicles/trailers in there. If you want to sell out of the back of a box truck, do that outside.
    Here is a rough sketch of what I am talking about. Not to scale, as I do not have the building dimensions and obstructions list (Poles, etc).
    [quoted image]

#406 4 years ago

Here’s some unsolicited advice for Ivan and his show. He needs to decide who the primary audience is for the show. Is it a flea market for guys that fix and repair games? Is it a market for people to buy new parts? Is it a show for enthusiasts? Is it a place for families to go to play pinball? The problem is it’s getting too big to be all of those. He’s at a cross roads and needs to decide for 2020, what his focus is. I’d personally love to see it grow and turn into a PA version of Pintastic, but that’s going to turn off the folks looking for a flea market. If it’s going to stay a flea market, he needs to save his money and not advertise it as a broad family event. It can still be family friendly, but the current set up isn’t going to pay off what some one new to Pinball is going to expect for a night out with their kids. None of these are good or bad. They’re just decisions that need to be made. If it stays like this year, I’ll stay home next year. It’s not a big deal. It just means I’m not the target audience.

#407 4 years ago
    Quoted from Mizzou0103:

Here’s some unsolicited advice for Ivan and his show. He needs to decide who the primary audience is for the show. Is it a flea market for guys that fix and repair games? Is it a market for people to buy new parts? Is it a show for enthusiasts? Is it a place for families to go to play pinball? The problem is it’s getting too big to be all of those. He’s at a cross roads and needs to decide for 2020, what his focus is. I’d personally love to see it grow and turn into a PA version of Pintastic, but that’s going to turn off the folks looking for a flea market. If it’s going to stay a flea market, he needs to save his money and not advertise it as a broad family event. It can still be family friendly, but the current set up isn’t going to pay off what some one new to Pinball is going to expect for a night out with their kids. None of these are good or bad. They’re just decisions that need to be made. If it stays like this year, I’ll stay home next year. It’s not a big deal. It just means I’m not the target audience.

Why don’t you think it’s family friendly? My wife and 11 year old son loved every minute of the show. I personally like the show more than pintastic as it is, no seminars, everyone in one room. Arcades were always crowded, it’s the charm of the hobby, and it’s a sign things are strong. Some improvements can be made on the margins, but I love just about everything about it as it is.

#408 4 years ago
    Quoted from Lermods:

Why don’t you think it’s family friendly? My wife and 11 year old son loved every minute of the show. I personally like the show more than pintastic as it is, no seminars, everyone in one room. Arcades were always crowded, it’s the charm of the hobby, and it’s a sign things are strong. Some improvements can be made on the margins, but I love just about everything about it as it is.

Allentown is a great show! Ivan helped me when I was building my format for what I wanted Pintastic to be. Pintastic and Allantown are 2 completely different shows. That’s the beauty of all the shows around the country. They all have there little differences. Onward and upward.

#409 4 years ago

Pintastic and Allentown are both very different and I’d like it to stay that way. Why have a bunch of shows that are all the same? That’s not very fun.

#410 4 years ago
    Quoted from dannunz:

Allentown is a great show! Ivan helped me when I was building my format for what I wanted Pintastic to be. Pintastic and Allantown are 2 completely different shows. That’s the beauty of all the shows around the country. They all have there little differences. Onward and upward.

That’s totally fair. My only point was that Allentown is growing. It’s currently structured as a pinball Uber fan show, which is cool, but it’s going to disappoint any newbies. I took my two kiddos and two of their friends. They all got super bored within a hour with the lines to play everything. I guess it comes down to wishing Pintastic or TPF was closer.

#411 4 years ago
    Quoted from Mizzou0103:

They all got super board within a hour with the lines to play everything.

What day did you go? We found many machines open for play at a given time, so much so that we left early being all played out.

#412 4 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

What day did you go? We found many machines open for play at a given time, so much so that we left early being all played out.

We went Friday night from about 6 to 8. There were games open but they typically had problems. Last year was different because the game to people ratio seemed to be better. Of the newer games, there was always a Star Wars or something similar available.

#413 4 years ago
    Quoted from Mizzou0103:

We went Friday night from about 6 to 8. There were games open but they typically had problems. Last year was different because the game to people ratio seemed to be better. Of the newer games, there was always a Star Wars or something similar available.

We were there from 9 on the spot till 4 Friday. My only complaint was I should have gone through the flea market sooner rather than later but that isn't a knock on the show but my own choice.

#414 4 years ago
    IMG_3154_1481578557 (resized).jpgIMG_3154_1481578557 (resized).jpg
    #415 4 years ago

I ran across this sign in the flea market and thought it was hilarious. Wonder if they got their pretzel.....

IMG_4591 (resized).JPGIMG_4591 (resized).JPG

#416 4 years ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

I went the one time it was just over the PA border. I wouldn't make that trip again for that show, let alone another hour and a half where it is now.

The next show is going to be at the Ohio PA border! Even though is more of a drive for me I'm excited because the last one over there was AWESOME.

#417 4 years ago

Allentown is the BEST SHOW!

It's like the food market across the way, SOMETHING FOR EVERYBODY!

I let my oldest daughter play hooky Friday and we ran into "The Santa Clause of Pinball" spreading pinball joy to boys and girls of all ages!

20190503_174231 (resized).jpg20190503_174231 (resized).jpg

#418 4 years ago
    Quoted from McPin54:

The next show is going to be at the Ohio PA border! Even though is more of a drive for me I'm excited because the last one over there was AWESOME.

Which show are you talking of? Where is it?

#419 4 years ago
    Quoted from McPin54:

I let my oldest daughter play hooky Friday and we ran into "The Santa Clause of Pinball" spreading pinball joy to boys and girls of all ages!

He almost ran me over in the parking lot while we were loading up a pin!

Todd is a funny guy, been to his place twice to pick up EM's (he hates them!) very gracious.

#420 4 years ago

Why do you guys have to be so Neurotic about everything...Pinball is booming; enjoy it already.

#421 4 years ago
    Quoted from Blackbeard:

Which show are you talking of? Where is it?

Ohio Show, the one it April.

#422 4 years ago

I wouldn't change anything.I drive 530 miles one way to attend this show.Ivan puts on a great show.People in the Northeast have greater access to more Pins and parts so I really appreciate the show.I just wish Ivan could do it multiple times a year.I go to the Cleveland show also.It is also a good show but nothing near the size of Pinfest.Thanks for your efforts Ivan.

#423 4 years ago
    Quoted from 1974DeltaQueen:

“I didn’t crap on the flea market and say their ware are junk”
    Yeah you more or less did . And you’re ok with the flea being outside. Heck I’m ok with no tournament hogging up prime space, since it’s not my thing. See how inconsiderate that sounds?

I don't think that sounds inconsiderate. You are expressing what parts of the show are important to you. Obviously the Flea Market is very important to you and the tournament is not. If the tournament wasn't there it wouldn't bother me either. The difference is the tournament can't be held outside while the flea market can. I like the flea market aspect of the show and if a larger space was available I'd love to see all the aspects have their space inside. Given the current space available though and the growth of the show I'd like to see the layout provide more space for people to navigate the show. If that means moving some aspect into the side room while moving other aspects outside I would be ok with that.

#424 4 years ago

I think the main thing to think about is everyone knows Friday
    is the day to go. Take off work. Pull your kids out of school.
    Whatever. That’s when people are coming now. The “secret” early
    Friday show up is gone. Ivan just has to figure out how to manage
    this.
    Venue’s not changing. Farmer’s Market is too important. My advice. Open earlier? Pre sell wrist bands? Something like
    that. Allentown has become the biggest in the NE. Now he (and everyone involved) just have to manage it.

#425 4 years ago

I would pay extra for an early admittance, ($30 fee for 9am or earlier, $20 fee for 12pm).

#426 4 years ago

This was my first time going, I went with my brother and had a blast. Too be honest I didn't get to play nearly as much pinball as I wanted which was mainly my fault because the first couple hours I was there I was buying a game, and buying a bunch of other stuff. I have gone to the York show for a few years and it was much more crowded then the york show. There was a couple games I passed up playing because there was too long a line. But I am not complaining I am personally glad it is this way. Pinball is very much alive and hopefully will stay that way for years to come. What would you prefer, waiting in line to play a game, or not being able to play the game because pinball is dead and there is no more shows like this anymore? I know what I would choose. I will definitely be back next year! My only regret is that I didn't learn of the pretzel cheese steak until a day or two after the show. We walked around the farmers market, possibly to quickly because I wanted to get back to the action. I am a picky eater and that day was my cheat day from my diet so I was ready to eat a much of stuff that wasn't good for me. Unfortunately all I saw that looked good was the pizza place just inside the door. I wasn't too happy with the pizza. Wished I could of found the pretzel cheesteak place

#427 4 years ago
    Quoted from fatality83:

This was my first time going, I went with my brother and had a
    blast. Too be honest I didn't get to play nearly as much pinball as
    I wanted which was mainly my fault because the first couple hours I
    was there I was buying a game, and buying a bunch of other stuff. I
    have gone to the York show for a few years and it was much more
    crowded then the york show. There was a couple games I passed up
    playing because there was too long a line. But I am not complaining
    I am personally glad it is this way. Pinball is very much alive and
    hopefully will stay that way for years to come. What would you
    prefer, waiting in line to play a game, or not being able to play
    the game because pinball is dead and there is no more shows like
    this anymore? I know what I would choose. I will definitely be back
    next year! My only regret is that I didn't learn of the pretzel
    cheese steak until a day or two after the show. We walked around
    the farmers market, possibly to quickly because I wanted to get
    back to the action. I am a picky eater and that day was my cheat
    day from my diet so I was ready to eat a much of stuff that wasn't
    good for me. Unfortunately all I saw that looked good was the pizza
    place just inside the door. I wasn't too happy with the pizza.
    Wished I could of found the pretzel cheesteak place

I’ve had the cheesesteak, buffalo chicken and the chicken bacon ranch. The chicken bacon ranch was my fave of the three. The cheesesteak is good but their sauce is a little weird.

#428 4 years ago
    Quoted from dtown:

I’ve had the cheesesteak, buffalo chicken and the chicken bacon
    ranch. The chicken bacon ranch was my fave of the three. The
    cheesesteak is good but their sauce is a little weird.

No Reuben? It was Orgasmic (Cheesesteak was decent)

Also, yes, the pizza near the door has been mentioned by many others as subpar...

#429 4 years ago

I was sad to see the Badda Bing place in the middle of the market was gone. I remember them telling me Pinfest was their busiest weekend every year.

#430 4 years ago

Mary Ann’s Donuts are the bomb. Try the maple bacon! I never thought I’d like that kind of flavor until I tried it.

#431 4 years ago
    Quoted from Gritty:

I was sad to see the Badda Bing place in the middle of the
    market was gone. I remember them telling me Pinfest was their
    busiest weekend every year.

I was disappointed to see it gone too. We ate breakfast there every year. I guess they went out of business or something...

#432 4 years ago
    Quoted from McPin54:

Allentown is the BEST SHOW!
    It's like the food market across the way, SOMETHING FOR EVERYBODY!
    [quoted image]

I LOVE Poking eyes!! Todd

#433 4 years ago

Re earlier hours: Oh hell no. One of the perks for schlepping trucks stuffed with pinballs and related goods is to have time to set up. Vendors and game bringers can play without the General Public for a few hours. If you Don't like it then join us and pay for a flea spot, or bring a game, vend, or volunteer.

#434 4 years ago
    Quoted from toddtuckey:

I'm going to be playing a" Williams StrikeMaster shuffle bowler " today that my brother just bought from you.

#435 4 years ago
    Quoted from toddtuckey:

What's the labor charge on an eye poking?

#436 4 years ago
    Quoted from irobot:

What's the labor charge on an eye poking?

What is the cost after Tax & Freight?

#437 4 years ago
    Quoted from toddtuckey:

Have I got a thread for you!

#438 4 years ago

As a point of comparison, I think it's worth noting that gun shows have been decimated by the internet.

Back in the old days, the vendors would bring all kinds of really awesome artifacts and guns to gun shows.

Like you might see a WWII bailey bridge training model, probably weighing 300 lbs

the best gun show I ever saw had millions of dollars worth of exotic full auto stuff and gatlin guns and cannons.

But nowadays it's all beanie babies and beef jerky and $5 chinese stun guns and tin pinup signs and other tchotchky.

I went to the allentown pinball show and walked around for probably 4 hours playing all kinds of pinball, including plenty of higher end games.

It's pretty amazing how good of a show it is when you consider the wasteland that gun shows have become.

And doubly amazing when you consider how much work that people go to in order to bring those pins to the show, it's not like those things are light and handy to move around.

All-in-all, I rate the Allentown show 100 points out of a 100.

#439 4 years ago
    Quoted from irobot:

As a point of comparison, I think it's worth noting that gun shows have been decimated by the internet.
    Back in the old days, the vendors would bring all kinds of really awesome artifacts and guns to gun shows.
    Like you might see a WWII bailey bridge training model, probably weighing 300 lbs
    the best gun show I ever saw had millions of dollars worth of exotic full auto stuff and gatlin guns and cannons.
    But nowadays it's all beanie babies and beef jerky and $5 chinese stun guns and tin pinup signs and other tchotchky.
    I went to the allentown pinball show and walked around for probably 4 hours playing all kinds of pinball, including plenty of higher end games.
    It's pretty amazing how good of a show it is when you consider the wasteland that gun shows have become.
    And doubly amazing when you consider how much work that people go to in order to bring those pins to the show, it's not like those things are light and handy to move around.
    All-in-all, I rate the Allentown show 100 points out of a 100.

See also, HAM fests. Used to be able to find great junk, I mean cool older computer stuff. Those days are mostly over minus once per year in a few key places.

#440 4 years ago
    Quoted from JoshPA:

See also, HAM fests. Used to be able to find great junk, I mean cool older computer stuff. Those days are mostly over minus once per year in a few key places.

I just went to a HAMfest yesterday. I was the first decent one in at least ten years.

#441 4 years ago
    Quoted from hazmat7719:

I just went to a HAMfest yesterday. I was the first decent one in at least ten years.

Where at? Is Timonium still happening?

#442 4 years ago
    Quoted from JoshPA:

Where at? Is Timonium still happening?

It was at the Howard County Fairground. I think that the Timonium one is dead or almost there. Howard county has them twice a year.

#443 4 years ago
    Quoted from hazmat7719:

It was at the Howard County Fairground. I think that the Timonium one is dead or almost there. Howard county has them twice a year.

How was the vintage computer scene? I’m adding this to our to-do list, thanks!

#444 4 years ago
    Quoted from JoshPA:

How was the vintage computer scene? I’m adding this to our to-do list, thanks!

The whole swap meet was smaller than usual. I usually sell at this one and decided not to this year. I would say that there were 50 or so tables set up. The computers were mostly 5-10 years old. There were tubes at 25% of the tables witch I have not seen that many in at least 15-20 years. The admission price was at $10, last year I believe that it was $6.

There are 444 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 9.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/allentown-sucked/page/9?hl=geddy2112 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.