Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 444 posts
  • 197 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by hazmat7719
  • Topic is favorited by 13 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20190503_174231 (resized).jpg
    IMG_4591 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3154_1481578557 (resized).jpg
    1e3fc843317159e5d2fdafb7a679f29de2fbbdaa (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    9ad7b7de064b9fc7d16ae9a93a09e2256ea71f54 (resized).jpg
    image-4 (resized).jpg
    image-6 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20190508-113032_Chrome (resized).jpg
    20190508_054754 (resized).jpg
    77169A18-29DD-4480-BACE-4030644A3BD6 (resized).jpeg
    20190503_153325_resized (resized).jpg
    0 (resized).jpg
    Bad Cat Jack (resized).jpg
    Todd Tuckey 2019 (resized).jpg
    Oscur (resized).jpg
    There are 444 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 9.
    #351 4 years ago
    Quoted from SilverUnicorn:

Quoted for truth. Another thing that amazed me was how much new playfield glass makes a difference. This is the first time I ever bought new glass since I always thought the old ones were only a little scratched and "just fine". Boy was I wrong!!! Now it looks like there's no glass in the darn game at all!
    Thanks for making glass available at an affordable price Ivan!
    Chris

If you missed out on getting enough glass at the show, contact your local glass supply house in town. As a joe blow off the street, I get it for $34 a piece. You have to wait a week or so for it to come in, since it has to be custom cut then tempered. Just tell them you want it 21" x 43" x 3/16" thick with no edge treatment.

#352 4 years ago
    Quoted from JodyG:

But who doesn't love needing two different size sockets or wrenches to put a single set of legs on. Then there is the clown that used vise grips...

Haha, Man the horror. Been weeding out those 9/16 leg bolts for years. The last game I put together had them on the front and 5/8 on the back. That was the last of my bolts.

#353 4 years ago
    Quoted from JodyG:

If you missed out on getting enough glass at the show, contact your local glass supply house in town. As a joe blow off the street, I get it for $34 a piece. You have to wait a week or so for it to come in, since it has to be custom cut then tempered. Just tell them you want it 21" x 43" x 3/16" thick with no edge treatment.

You also have to make sure there is no "tempered glass" bug on them. Most glass companies stamp them.

#354 4 years ago
    Quoted from arcademojo:

You also have to make sure there is no "tempered glass" bug on them. Most glass companies stamp them.

Forgot that part! She usually asks if I want any markings or coatings, which I say "no" to.

#355 4 years ago
    Quoted from JodyG:

Quoted from arcademojo:

Also be sure to shop around. Most local glass places farm out the production of tempered glass to another facility since they don't have the furnace for it. In that case, a sheet could cost somewhere around $80.

Additionally, there is usually a minimum amount in square feet per order, so you may need to order more than one sheet at a time.

#356 4 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Also be sure to shop around. Most local glass places farm out the production of tempered glass to another facility since they don't have the furnace for it. In that case, a sheet could cost somewhere around $80.
    Additionally, there is usually a minimum amount in square feet per order, so you may need to order more than one sheet at a time.

It also depends on the size of your hometown...I know years ago I could find zero local places that didn't farm it out - most sent their orders an hour north to Syracuse. And for those types, like Adam said, it was 60-70 bucks...I'm sure it'd be close to 80/sheet by now.

That's why I always stock up at the shows...no local options for me.

#357 4 years ago
    Quoted from Stoomer:

It also depends on the size of your hometown...I know years ago I could find zero local places that didn't farm it out - most sent their orders an hour north to Syracuse. And for those types, like Adam said, it was 60-70 bucks...I'm sure it'd be close to 80/sheet by now.
    That's why I always stock up at the shows...no local options for me.

We have two local places that are competing with each other. They both send the work out to a place in Maryland. When I called them, their prices were less than a dollar different from one another. If you are in my area, I use these folks:

Screenshot_20190508-113032_Chrome (resized).jpgScreenshot_20190508-113032_Chrome (resized).jpg
    #358 4 years ago

Chris

I second this! Most people never think about how much A LOT of glass weighs.... it has to be a tremendous PITA to order/keep track of/take preorders & special requests/pick up/deliver what I would assume is at minimum over 1 ton of glass....probably closer to 3000+ lbs.... Several of us went together on a preorder for 8 sheets... $29 a sheet, simply can not be beat. I had three games in my collection left that I had not yet gotten around to ever replacing glass in & now all 17 of my machines have all new PF glass as of last weekend.

& I don't see how the show promoter has any control over what prices vendors put on parts.... So I'll never understand complaining about what vendors do or don't do. I appreciate vendors like Marco for making the trek from South Carolina all the way to PA for what is essentially a 2 day show for them.

#359 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Every game I get receives a new set of shiny new leg bolts.

It’s literally the least you can do to spruce
    Up a game.

Ray Johnson of RGP fame, when he sold a used game always said new legs, new leg bolts, new levelers, and a new sheet of playfield glass, was a cheap way to make a game look great.

LTG : )

#360 4 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Ray Johnson of RGP fame, when he sold a used game always said new legs, new leg bolts, new levelers, and a new sheet of playfield glass, was a cheap way to make a game look great.
    LTG : )

I can deal with old bolts usually. Never old levelers though. Pet peeve when I get a game with crusted leveled that haven’t moved in decades. How does anyone setup their game properly like that. I buy a hundred or so every time I call up Steve young.

Everyone gave me slack for buying another 15 or so sheets of glass this weekend from Ivan after grabbing another 15 last year. Started slapping in new sheets all over The Sanctum Monday and everyone changed their tune .

#361 4 years ago

I always put a new piece of glass in games. The difference between a new sheet and and old scuffed up one is like night and day.

Always new leg levelers. Legs and bolts...depends on the condition, since you're not normally looking at the legs/bolts too much. Generally, I'll just buff them up if they're in good shape. If they're all rusty, crusty, chewed up, etc, I'll get new ones. Depending on the game, sometimes new legs just aren't available, so you have to work with what you've got.

#362 4 years ago

Quoted for truth. Another thing that amazed me was how much new playfield glass makes a difference. This is the first time I ever bought new glass since I always thought the old ones were only a little scratched and "just fine". Boy was I wrong!!! Now it looks like there's no glass in the darn game at all!
    Chris

No problem Chris, I can’t believe we sold it all on Friday. It was a boat load. I got to take home one standard sheet. I guess we’ll try to bring in some more next year.

#363 4 years ago
    Quoted from WeatherbyMAG:

I second this! Most people never think about how much A LOT of glass weighs.... it has to be a tremendous PITA to order/keep track of/take preorders & special requests/pick up/deliver what I would assume is at minimum over 1 ton of glass....probably closer to 3000+ lbs.... Several of us went together on a preorder for 8 sheets... $29 a sheet, simply can not be beat. I had three games in my collection left that I had not yet gotten around to ever replacing glass in & now all 17 of my machines have all new PF glass as of last weekend.
    & I don't see how the show promoter has any control over what prices vendors put on parts.... So I'll never understand complaining about what vendors do or don't do. I appreciate vendors like Marco for making the trek from South Carolina all the way to PA for what is essentially a 2 day show for them.

My glass order weight was 5400 lbs. A forklift is the only way I’m moving it. All the other stuff went pretty smooth. I showed the other half how to do and let her run with. She did a great job and nothing was screwed up.

#365 4 years ago
    Quoted from Blackbeard:

However, I somehow coined up a 4 player game on Transporter at the show.

I was "given" World Poker Tour started up for 4 players when I was the only one waiting ... I frigging hate when something like that happens. Fortunately, the only person that waited to play understood the situation while I was draining .

The other thing is when you go to a machine and discover someone left in the middle of the game ... you try and drain the remaining balls quickly so that you can play a full game, but then someone comes up and waits to play .

Other than that, the show was awesome. I didn't have to make the 4 1/2 hour drive home due to lines or whatever I'm supposed to be all angry about!

#366 4 years ago
    Quoted from megadeth2600:

I was "given" World Poker Tour started up for 4 players when I was the only one waiting ... I frigging hate when something like that happens. Fortunately, the only person that waited to play understood the situation while I was draining .
    The other thing is when you go to a machine and discover someone left in the middle of the game ... you try and drain the remaining balls quickly so that you can play a full game, but then someone comes up and waits to play .
    Other than that, the show was awesome. I didn't have to make the 4 1/2 hour drive home due to lines or whatever I'm supposed to be all angry about!

A group of 4 left 2 balls on Wonka! I played them and was going to leave but new friends in line said I should get a real turn. Nothing but nice people at the show.

#367 4 years ago

A lot of games you can start a new game by holding in the start button if it's on ball 2 or 3.

#368 4 years ago
    Quoted from delt31:

I
    Someone changing a baby on a Pinball machine? That caught my attention haha

Must have been on the Embryon.

#369 4 years ago

First want to say I enjoyed myself at Allentown both Friday and Saturday.

I didn't see a thread for feedback about the show and I didn't feel one needed to be started but wanted to put a couple thoughts out there. I have been going for 5 years I think, show has grown. I know the show is known for the flea market but I think that the second room should be used to better fit the main sections of the show. My thought is the vendors and such could be moved into the second room leaving the main room for the floor games and tournament. Felt a bunch of areas were too crowded and given the locations of those crowds really hindered being able to move about the show. If the vendors were moved into the other room this could greatly help the flow of traffic. The flea market I would be fine with it all being outside. What items were being displayed/sold in that second room the last two years are not in my opinion worth taking up that space if it could be better used to spread out the vendors and floor games to make the show experience better as a whole.

#370 4 years ago
    Quoted from gottafixit:

I didn't see a thread for feedback about the show and I didn't feel one needed to be started but wanted to put a couple thoughts out there. I have been going for 5 years I think, show has grown. I know the show is known for the flea market but I think that the second room should be used to better fit the main sections of the show. My thought is the vendors and such could be moved into the second room leaving the main room for the floor games and tournament. Felt a bunch of areas were too crowded and given the locations of those crowds really hindered being able to move about the show. If the vendors were moved into the other room this could greatly help the flow of traffic. The flea market I would be fine with it all being outside. What items were being displayed/sold in that second room the last two years are not in my opinion worth taking up that space if it could be better used to spread out the vendors and floor games to make the show experience better as a whole.

From a vendor perspective, this is not a good idea. Vendors want to be where the people are and we pay for that access. Sorry it seems crowded moving about, but this is part of the charm of the show. This is also what’s great about the Texas show, everyone in one big room. The separation is what I don’t like about some other shows. Perhaps some adjustments can be made to improve flow of the show as there is open space toward the back left area.

#371 4 years ago

Our family's only "sucked" incident was an impatient adult that was pressuring my nine year old son to hurry up when he was on his first ball after waiting for over 20 minutes for a Family guy game.

#372 4 years ago
    Quoted from hazmat7719:

Our family's only "sucked" incident was an impatient adult that was pressuring my nine year old son to hurry up when he was on his first ball after waiting for over 20 minutes for a Family guy game.

You've got to be kidding! I hope your son had an epically high scoring game.

#373 4 years ago

"After your game son, pay attention, Dad's gonna show ya how to properly beat a man's ass. Always be a gentleman and help him up after you're done."

#374 4 years ago
    Quoted from guard:

Some of you morons would whine even if you won 10 million in a lottery.
    "Well that guy won 15 million"

Is that $US or $CDN?

#375 4 years ago
    Quoted from hazmat7719:

That's lame. I hope you son kicked this guy's ass on score. Which FGY, the one with or without the ColorDMD?

#376 4 years ago
    Quoted from Ivan1496:

And who was that guy that actually waited 2.5 hours? Please!
    Ivan
    Pinfest 2019

That was me,I was only five minutes from getting in the door,and I had to go to the bathroom. When I got back,everybody made me go back to the end of the line. J/k

#377 4 years ago
    Quoted from Playdium:

You've got to be kidding! I hope your son had an epically high scoring game.

He is a great kid, and just left his game before it ended to find a different one. I did heckle the woman during her game.

#378 4 years ago
    Quoted from Mike_M:

That's lame. I hope you son kicked this guy's ass on score. Which FGY, the one with or without the ColorDMD?

He just moved on. It was one without the color DMD.

#379 4 years ago

I wonder if that's the same women who was hogging the Haunted House? Must not like kids.

#380 4 years ago

OP sounds like the entitled brats I deal with selling my wares to on eBay.

#381 4 years ago
    Quoted from jaytrem:

I wonder if that's the same women who was hogging the Haunted House? Must not like kids.

It could have been. She had light hair. I noticed that she spent a lot of time at each game, ignoring the line behind her while playing multiple games.

#382 4 years ago

1000 people showing up sounds like a small crowd for a pinball show. I'm confused why you think vendors wouldn't want a big turnout. A big turnout is good for vendors and good for the hobby. Shouldn't we want the next generation of kids playing pinball? Just sounds like they need to figure out how to to admissions better so there isn't such a big line.

We promote the Northwest Show to the general public, heck we have a kid's zone and facepainting, there is nothing I love more than seeing a bunch of parents getting excited about my games that are there and teaching their kids to play them. I have dozens of photos over the years of kids throwing down on my pins and vids at our show and other events we do the classic arcade for. I love it! I get it if you don't like kids, but most are gone after dinner time and the evenings at shows tend to be a lot less packed.

#383 4 years ago

Pinfest was my 1st show and I had a blast. Everyone I met were nice and helpful. Thanks Ivan!

#384 4 years ago

What a great Allentown show this year! Thanks to Ivan, Dave and crew for another amazing year! Smooth sailing with limited traffic Thursday morning. After setting up COLEHVAC1 helped me work on my meteor along with Brian Bushey before LoveF2K Rich came by and showed me nothing was wrong with my game and I just set the dipswitches backwards. Had a blast hanging with friends Thursday night at dinner. In the middle of dinner received a text from someone I had been trying to convince to sell her game for a month before the show. I turned white, ran out of the brewhouse and made the call. Came back to dinner like the cat that ate the canary. The next day I played all the new games, thanks Joe at pinball star and Marco! I met my Aunt and family for lunch in Macungie and came back and sold my Meteor to Brian from Niagra. Had a great time hanging with my friends and 2nd family at Pingraffix and MVP pinball. Great dinner on Friday at 1760 Grill with the crew and went back to the hotel to dream of my target pin. Woke up Sat to say good bye to A-town and head home for my sons bday but not before a nice breakfast with Jose and Ray from Tilt Graphics. Drove an 1.25 hrs south and picked up a gem of a pin that I had been thinking of scoring the whole weekend with a smile while having all that fun! Thank you Pinfest for an awesome weekend!!

#385 4 years ago
    Quoted from Lermods:

From a vendor perspective, this is not a good idea. Vendors want to be where the people are and we pay for that access. Sorry it seems crowded moving about, but this is part of the charm of the show. This is also what’s great about the Texas show, everyone in one big room. The separation is what I don’t like about some other shows. Perhaps some adjustments can be made to improve flow of the show as there is open space toward the back left area.

I suppose the tournament could also be moved to the other room and then the rest spread out a bit. Better consideration should be given to the layout and how lines will block up traffic lanes. Lots of people at a show is one thing, not being able to move about the show is another.

#386 4 years ago

The easier way is to just reboot the game. Power switch under/near left front leg of game.

#387 4 years ago
    Quoted from DRDAVE:

The easier way is to just reboot the game. Power switch under/near left front leg of game.

I agree but I also have seen owners get pissed over people turning their games off and on.

#388 4 years ago

Hold the start button and it will reset to a new game. As long as it’s on ball two.

#389 4 years ago

More people should come to the Ohio show
    No lines and needs to be built back up
    You won’t have any issues getting in lol

#390 4 years ago
    Quoted from hazmat7719:

It could have been. She had light hair. I noticed that she spent a lot of time at each game, ignoring the line behind her while playing multiple games.

Sounds about right. Wish I took a pic.

#391 4 years ago
    Quoted from gottafixit:

Disagree. The flea used to get rained out all the time. Ivan fixed this. Indoor flea is always busy and the majority of show goers like the quieter setting as an temporary escape from the mayhem on the main floor. I feel like the Vendors want heavy foot traffic for maximum exposure . And crapping on all the loyal flea owners saying their wares are junk is flat out rude.

#392 4 years ago
    Quoted from rollinover:

More people should come to the Ohio show
    You won’t have any issues getting in lol

BWAAAAHHAAA!! LOL

#393 4 years ago
    Quoted from 1974DeltaQueen:

Disagree. The flea used to get rained out all the time. Ivan fixed this. Indoor flea is always busy and the majority of show goers like the quieter setting as an temporary escape from the mayhem on the main floor. I feel like the Vendors want heavy foot traffic for maximum exposure . And crapping on all the loyal flea owners saying their wares are junk is flat out rude.

It was a nice break from the main floor and I saw several things of interest.

Pity the 2 player version of Moon Shot (Astronaut) was sold! Sounds silly but they would have looked sweet side by side in our game room and its a very fun game.. The 2 player has different colors and backglass and the game rules are slightly different between the two.

image-4 (resized).jpgimage-4 (resized).jpgimage-6 (resized).jpgimage-6 (resized).jpg
    #394 4 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

It was a nice break from the main floor and I saw several things of interest.
    Pity the 2 player version of Moon Shot (Astronaut) was sold!

My friend bought the Astronaut at the show. It is going to a very good home as he is an actual NASA Rocket Scientist. He has just about every space and rocket themed pinball. Congrats on your Moon Shot.

#395 4 years ago
    Quoted from 1974DeltaQueen:

I didn't crap on the flea market and say their wares are junk. I said that the show is growing and that space could be better utilized to spread out the growing show.

#396 4 years ago
    Quoted from terrapinmark:

My friend bought the Astronaut at the show. It is going to a very good home as he is an actual NASA Rocket Scientist. He has just about every space and rocket themed pinball. Congrats on your Moon Shot.

Thanks! It is a wickedly fun and fast game, make sure he has the high tap jumper set by the fuse panel.

That Astronaut looked like it was in remarkable shape!

1e3fc843317159e5d2fdafb7a679f29de2fbbdaa (resized).jpg1e3fc843317159e5d2fdafb7a679f29de2fbbdaa (resized).jpg9ad7b7de064b9fc7d16ae9a93a09e2256ea71f54 (resized).jpg9ad7b7de064b9fc7d16ae9a93a09e2256ea71f54 (resized).jpg

#397 4 years ago

One way to make vendors and attendees happy:

Break the rooms up differently. Make the main show area into something like quadrants, with a single row of machines around the outside of each quadrant (facing in), and put vendors in the middle of each of these quadrants. You have more room for attendees, and vendors are right in the middle of all the foot traffic. Move the tournament into the back room. The used part vendor area could be set up more efficiently if they didn't have their large vehicles/trailers in there. If you want to sell out of the back of a box truck, do that outside.

Here is a rough sketch of what I am talking about. Not to scale, as I do not have the building dimensions and obstructions list (Poles, etc).

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #398 4 years ago
    Quoted from JodyG:

One way to make vendors and attendees happy:
    Break the rooms up differently. Make the main show area into something like quadrants, with a single row of machines around the outside of each quadrant (facing in), and put vendors in the middle of each of these quadrants. You have more room for attendees, and vendors are right in the middle of all the foot traffic. Move the tournament into the back room. The used part vendor area could be set up more efficiently if they didn't have their large vehicles/trailers in there. If you want to sell out of the back of a box truck, do that outside.
    Here is a rough sketch of what I am talking about. Not to scale, as I do not have the building dimensions and obstructions list (Poles, etc).
    [quoted image]

That's a great looking quilt!

#399 4 years ago
    Quoted from terrapinmark:

You don't have to be a Rocket Scientist to enjoy pinball.

#400 4 years ago
    Quoted from gottafixit:

The flea market I would be fine with it all being outside. What items were being displayed/sold in that second room the last two years are not in my opinion worth taking up that space if it could be better used .

“I didn’t crap on the flea market and say their ware are junk”

Yeah you more or less did . And you’re ok with the flea being outside. Heck I’m ok with no tournament hogging up prime space, since it’s not my thing. See how inconsiderate that sounds?

There are 444 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 9.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/allentown-sucked/page/8?hl=mrudowsky and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.