Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 444 posts
  • 197 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by hazmat7719
  • Topic is favorited by 13 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20190503_174231 (resized).jpg
    IMG_4591 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3154_1481578557 (resized).jpg
    1e3fc843317159e5d2fdafb7a679f29de2fbbdaa (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    9ad7b7de064b9fc7d16ae9a93a09e2256ea71f54 (resized).jpg
    image-4 (resized).jpg
    image-6 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20190508-113032_Chrome (resized).jpg
    20190508_054754 (resized).jpg
    77169A18-29DD-4480-BACE-4030644A3BD6 (resized).jpeg
    20190503_153325_resized (resized).jpg
    0 (resized).jpg
    Bad Cat Jack (resized).jpg
    Todd Tuckey 2019 (resized).jpg
    Oscur (resized).jpg

There are 444 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 9.
    #201 4 years ago

I have a lot of experience with trade shows and conventions. Sounds like what this group needs to do is find a bigger venue, employ more people to help run the show, in other words they need to spend more money to operate the show. Probably starts with a bigger venue.

With all that being said sometimes things just blow up and learn at the point you need to make changes and improvements.

I’m sure these guys need to look at everything they’re doing to help the show improve and continue to grow.

With all that being said your post was like a personal grudge rant. Sounds like these guys have built up something so successful that its outgrown their older model for venue or operation. That isn’t a bad thing that is a good thing.

Many of your arguments might be correct, but you act like all that is bad. If more people are getting into pinball that is a good thing not a bad thing. Calling kids brats, especially when you don’t know those kids is totally out of line. BTW what in the hell is wrong with letting the next generation of kids who typically are glued to video games come to these shows. How is that bad?

What are you saying only 50 year old guys are allowed into the show? The one who sounds like a brat is you!

#202 4 years ago
    Quoted from chad:

Or carry a tote bag

Did you come say hi to me? Make conversation? I’m not that bad.

#203 4 years ago

Hey I had a tote bag, I had lots of parts to buy.

#204 4 years ago

I thought it was a great show - and had fun. It always felt crowded to me - but I agree with most sentiments, w/o the crowds this thing dies. I don't doubt for a minute NO ONE is getting rich on anything at Pinfest. From the entry fee - to the vendors. I'm guessing most make at least enough to make it worth the effort. But if anyone thinks people are getting rich - you and I have a different estimation of what rich means (and that's ok.)

Having some time to chat with my favorite vendors and personalities like Jack and Todd - are what makes this fun.

I found the line to enter surprisingly long too - and that feels very inefficient - you pay someone $20, they hand you a ticket- you walk 4 feet, and hand over that ticket, then move 2 feet to get a bracelet. Considering the way of the world - there isn't even a pat down and perhaps this slows the crowd enough for the front gate officer to keep an eye on things.

Either way - I'm happy for the efforts of the Allentown team - and grateful my brother and I have a fun place to share our hobby together with each other once a year.

...and I spent too much money. Always part of the fun.

#205 4 years ago
    Quoted from drfrightner:

Sounds like what this group needs to do is find a bigger venue, employ more people to help run the show, in other words they need to spend more money to operate the show. Probably starts with a bigger venue.

The show is stuck there now because of the Farmer's Market. It's one of the best parts of the Pinfest experience.

#206 4 years ago
    257DFAC5-CA07-4CBE-A3D3-68154792988D (resized).jpeg257DFAC5-CA07-4CBE-A3D3-68154792988D (resized).jpeg
    #207 4 years ago

I don’t think I’ll ever forget the facial expression of a little girl coming through the front door. Eyes and mouth wide open. She let go of her Daddy’s hand and was amazed with all the games to play. Truly wonderful and heartwarming! I saw many grown men with their elderly fathers. I saw husbands and wives enjoy their time together. Dads with teenagers waiting in line with smiles on their faces. It Reminded me of why I’m in the hobby. I watched it happen all weekend. Made some good deals and got burned on others, does it really matter in the end? I found it much better to give than receive.

4DFC12A0-9506-492D-BBDB-A25C984640A5 (resized).jpeg4DFC12A0-9506-492D-BBDB-A25C984640A5 (resized).jpeg

#208 4 years ago

We need to pass this wonderful thing called pinball on to the youngsters, otherwise it will die with us.

#209 4 years ago

We (Lock is Lit Podcast) had a good time at the show this year, as we always do. Lines were very long to play the new games though, and when you do play, you feel rushed, as there are 6-7 people in line behind you. What sucks is that these games are setup on Thursday, but certain vendors refuse to let you play until Friday. Anyone know why they do this?

#210 4 years ago

Man this original post makes me F'N SICK to read. I read the first post and that's it - I hope you guys all kicked his ass in the replies.

I love hearing people bitch about those who DO things in the hobby. Until you do the same STFU.

Hats off to Ivan and anyone who does anything for the hobby. The best quick conversations from folks at the show were a few who said 'Thank you for bringing all the new games to the show for your booth for us to see and play, I know it's a lot of work'... I made sure I said 'thank you for saying that' to every one so they knew it meant something to me. Bottom line is I know it's one person bitching here and 1000 others who love the show, the people, etc... Just sucks Ivan has to bust his ass for months on end prior to the show and then the next day read this shit. Disgusting.

#211 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinballSTAR:

Man this original post makes me F'N SICK to read. I ready the first post and that's it - I hope you guys all kicked his ass in the replies.
    I love hearing people bitch about those who DO things in the hobby. Until you do the same STFU.
    Hats off to Ivan and anyone who does anything for the hobby. The best quick conversations from folks at the show were a few who said 'Thank you for bringing all the new games to the show for your booth for us to see and play, I know it's a lot of work'... I made sure I said 'thank you for saying that' to every one so they knew it meant something to me. Bottom line is I know it's one person bitching here and 1000 others who love the show, the people, etc... Just sucks Ivan has to bust his ass for months on end prior to the show and then the next day read this shit. Disgusting.

Definitely, Joe. Thanks for bringing your games - it was a highlight to get time on them!

#212 4 years ago

I told Ivan I wasn’t sure if I needed a booth three days before the event. When I got there the day of I ended up needing two booths to sell games I picked up that day. Ivan always easy to work with. No complaints on my end.
    Thanks for another great year at pinfest!

#213 4 years ago

I really have to laugh at this. I got to the show at 4pm. I walked up to the window, bought a ticket, and then walked right into the show. At 6 or so, we went over to the farmers market to eat, and there were very few people there. No wait times to get food at any of the stands we went to. Yes there was a good crowd there, and the line to play Wonka was a bit long. I was a little bummed the one Monster bash had the scoop set to drain SDTM with a super tight tilt, but I'm definitely not going to make a thread on Pinside about it. This OP spent 14 hours driving because he was too impatient to wait in a line? I'm kind of glad you did go home.

#214 4 years ago

This is beating a dead horse. Everyone who showed up knows the show is one of the best.

#215 4 years ago

Original post is currently-82 shows you how the community feels about the bitching. I stand behind Ivan and the countless hours he devoted to provide this venue for us lucky participants. I had a great time as did most. You are never going to make everyone happy. Since the OP
    didn’t attend I hope he was able to buy his antiPinfestival T-shirt.

98EF87A7-4A35-4954-BEB2-1CC7056241E3 (resized).jpeg98EF87A7-4A35-4954-BEB2-1CC7056241E3 (resized).jpeg
    #216 4 years ago

This was my first pinfest and only stayed Friday. I was bummed i didn't book the room for Saturday as well. The day went so fast and i felt rushed lol. Next year, i will definitely get a room for a two day stay. Had a blast, spent too much on stuff (no games unfortunately...or maybe fortunately). Line was a pretty long wait but I’ve been to Disney so it really wasn't that long! Lol

Thanks to all that brought games to play and to the vendors for such cool stuff!

#217 4 years ago
    Quoted from QuietEarp:

I have to say that I only experienced a single crop dusting in my time there. At the White Rose Show I must have been in a fart cloud like 20 times.

You obviously weren't Hanging around the pretzel stand long enough

#218 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinballSTAR:

Man this original post makes me F'N SICK to read. I ready the first post and that's it - I hope you guys all kicked his ass in the replies.

Tell him Joe.

Thanks for what you do for that show.

#219 4 years ago
    Quoted from ElDorado:

After 20 years this was my last A-town.
    Well actually last year was, cause after driving 7 hours to get there I never even went in the show.
    This show is no longer about pinball, it's about lining the promoters pockets.
    We all saw the line. The crowds. I've never experienced anything like like it. For years you could show up at 11:00 or so, even 11:30 and get right in at 12.
    This was disgusting.
    It's time for the people who work their assess off dragging machines to the show, setting them up, and keeping them running for a lousy $20 day to stop.
    You are being used.
    And yes, I used to be one of those guys.
    It used to be Friday was the pinball enthusiasts day, it was low key and you could play anything you wanted.
    Strike up a lot of nice conversations too.
    Or Friday evening for a couple of hours when people went to dinner you might have 3 really nice hours at the show with like minded people.
    NOT ANY MORE. Greedy SOB has ruined the show. Apparently he is marketing it to the locals, who find it a cheap place to bring their brats for an afternoon.
    I knew it was done when Ivan took over. Just a couple of years ago I watched someone change a baby on top of a game. That's the type of people he's attracting.
    So at 1:30 with a line still a 1000' long and and an hour wait we canceled our room and headed home, another 7 hour drive and never even got in.
    Vendors should think about who their customers are and are they reaching them with this show.
    I had $1000 play money just for parts and stuff. Didn't spend one dime.
    Do you think john q. public was in there buying LEDS and stuff? Never mind not buying any games.
    Bringing a machine for free play is a sucker bet. You work that hard to have your valuable collectibles mauled by a bunch of street people. You are working for $20 day and risking your expensive games.
    Ivan laughs all the way to the bank cause of your generosity.
    You should be getting at least $250 per day rental fee for your machine, and delivery and setup charges.
    You are being used, and if you don't think so check out the accomodations made people who bring machines to other shows.
    I don't know how he gets people to still do it.
    This chump has ruined the show for pinball people.
    First thing he did was destroy the flea market.
    Now this.
    We all saw what went on. Even the Farmers Market was slammed with the overflow, I heard a number of vendors freaking out over it. The bathrooms were jammed. And you it was almost impossible to get waited on.
    And it was mostly pinball people that got shut out of the show, I saw many that just kept trying to get in all afternoon.
    I am sure many of you will disagree and tell me it was the best ever. I am truly happy that you enjoyed it. But this is no longer A-town, it's just a money making racket at players and collectors expense.
    I am done, have seen the last of A-town.

So,... you main gripe is that there were woo many people? Srsly?

Well, at least you did not shoot the random townsfolk.

But srsly: You "celebrate" pinball. What kind of party would that be with noone being there?

#220 4 years ago
    Quoted from 1974DeltaQueen:

Original post is currently-82 shows you how the community feels about the bitching. I stand behind Ivan and the countless hours he devoted to provide this venue for us lucky participants. I had a great time as did most. You are never going to make everyone happy. Since the OP
    didn’t attend I hope he was able to buy his antiPinfestival T-shirt.

Fixed that for ya, your welcome.

Oscur (resized).jpgOscur (resized).jpg
    #221 4 years ago

My wife and I have traveled from California for this show for the last 4 years. We arrived at 1pm on Friday and there was a long line, but we went over to the farmers market, ate pizza, and the line was gone by 1:45. It was a little crowded inside, but I think it's great to have new people, or any people, coming to enjoy our beloved hobby of Pinball! From an outsiders point of view, this show has not changed significantly in the last 4 years. Only thing I would say is come the first day as many games are sold and/or packed up early, so much less available to play on the 2nd day.

#222 4 years ago

Quite rundown

Quoted from Fourbyracer:

My wife and I have traveled from California for this show for the last 4 years. We arrived at 1pm on Friday and there was a long line, but we went over to the farmers market, ate pizza, and the line was gone by 1:45. It was a little crowded inside, but I think it's great to have new people, or any people, coming to enjoy our beloved hobby of Pinball! From an outsiders point of view, this show has not changed significantly in the last 4 years. Only thing I would say is come the first day as many games are sold and/or packed up early, so much less available to play on the 2nd day.

Very impressed by your Cali trip. I miss the PPE when it was held in Marin. That was a great show.

#223 4 years ago

I'm with you op I've got a Slayer show comin up and if I have to stand in line for 20 min for a $12 beer I'm fckin OUTTA THERE.

#224 4 years ago

*turns around, drives home*

#225 4 years ago
    Quoted from tomtest:

Can anyone explain why the show doesn't open until noon on Friday, I personally can only spend a few hours there and 3 hours isn't nearly enough time to do everything, it used to open at 10am and I see no justification for opening at noon, the vendors have their own entrance so the lines have no effect on their coming in, this is an extremely poor choice of times, if anything the people going in early will help with lines at the new machines.

My guess from what I see each year: Not all vendors arrive Thursday or flea marketers or game bringers . Ivan needs another 1/2 day to get the place fully loaded and ready for the GP. Some people cannot take 2 days off of work for their hobby.

#226 4 years ago

Shout out to Ivan and all his crew, had a great time, at the end of the day your never going to please everyone.
    Can’t wait till next year keep up the great work guys and thank you.

#227 4 years ago

I had a dynamite time, thanks to everyone who makes the show happen...

#228 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinballSTAR:

Could not agree more Joe....

#229 4 years ago

Show was great as always except for the few people that played on 4 player by themselves or kept pushing start when someone was waiting to play next.

#230 4 years ago
    Quoted from drummermike:

Show was great as always except for the few people that played on 4 player by themselves or kept pushing start when someone was waiting to play next.

Someone started a 4 player on the Bad Cats with the giant center post... I felt obligated to try and play it out, but man... It took forever. I wound up handing it off to my GF to finish.

#231 4 years ago
    Quoted from drummermike:

In the 2 days I only had 1 person hog a machine in front of me. Played 2 in a row on Haunted House, then she had a friend join in for the 3rd. We just moved on and came back later. Perhaps some people think once you're on a machine it yours until you've had enough.

#232 4 years ago

I would like to see the show open at 10am or 11am on Friday. I think a lot of people take the day off for the show. It took 30 min in line to get in as stated by the original poster when the doors opened at Noon. The line did a lap around the parking lot in front of the building. It's great the show is successful and I don't mind they are making money as long as I'm having fun, but I don't enjoy waiting 30 min to get in. Open earlier and the mob trying to get in will be less of an issue. The long line is indication that's it's starting too late in the day on Friday.

#233 4 years ago
    Quoted from JodyG:

I really have to laugh at this. I got to the show at 4pm. I walked up to the window, bought a ticket, and then walked right into the show. At 6 or so, we went over to the farmers market to eat, and there were very few people there. No wait times to get food at any of the stands we went to. Yes there was a good crowd there, and the line to play Wonka was a bit long. I was a little bummed the one Monster bash had the scoop set to drain SDTM with a super tight tilt, but I'm definitely not going to make a thread on Pinside about it. This OP spent 14 hours driving because he was too impatient to wait in a line? I'm kind of glad you did go home.

You can laugh, but the line at the opening time was long. We like to go earlier because we go for 2-1/2 hours and then turn around and head back home, get the kids after school, and come back. 30 min in line at the beginning takes a chunk out of our 2-1/2 hours with just my wife and I having fun on our own.

#234 4 years ago

Opening earlier or having more people manning the ticket booth would help reduce the wait for the crowd wanting to get in at the beginning.

#235 4 years ago

Was worth it just for this

Had a nice conversation with Jack. Was nice to talk to him one on one and not in his booth with all the commotion. He told me that Bad Cats 2 is the next title but don't tell anyone!

And Todd is always a hoot!

Bad Cat Jack (resized).jpgBad Cat Jack (resized).jpgTodd Tuckey 2019 (resized).jpgTodd Tuckey 2019 (resized).jpg
    #236 4 years ago

Well the op deactivated his account. Kind of glad. We all may bitch about things we don't like in pinball. I'm guilty of that myself. But that's part of being passionate about your hobby. But I would never complain about a show. Or a line at a show. Just be glad there are shows. Without them this hobby would have been doomed along time ago. I think everyone wants pinball to thrive. Allentown is one of the best around.

#237 4 years ago
    Quoted from Fourbyracer:

Only thing I would say is come the first day as many games are sold and/or packed up early, so much less available to play on the 2nd day.

Northwest Pinball And Arcade doesn't allow games to be removed from the floor until the show is over for this reason. Everything there on Friday morning will be there Sunday afternoon. I'm sure they would make an exception for an emergency or something, but I've never seen a game removed during the show, and they have over 400 games each year. It's just a super well run event all around. Not to say Allentown isn't by the way. I've never been and it looks like a blast from the photos.

It's coming up this first weekend in June. Bring your tote bags.

#238 4 years ago
    Quoted from FlashDaddy:

Northwest Pinball And Arcade doesn't allow games to be removed from the floor until the show is over for this reason. Everything there on Friday morning will be there Sunday afternoon. I'm sure they would make an exception for an emergency or something, but I've never seen a game removed during the show, and they have over 400 games each year. It's just a super well run event all around. Not to say Allentown isn't by the way. I've never been and it looks like a blast from the photos.

It's coming up this first weekend in June. Bring your tote bags.

Game on! I'm bringing KAHR.US Circuits to Northwest at the end of the month - FlashDaddy that means you have to come to Allentown next year!

Everyone else, last I looked you could fly direct from BWI on Spirit for under $300 round trip. I'm in seat 2A.

-Rob
    -visit http://www.kahr.us to get my daughterboard that helps fix WPC pinball resets or my replacement LED display boards for model H & model S Skee Ball

#239 4 years ago

I don't actually own any machines myself rkahr but I'll swing by and say hello in Tacoma. And I'll do my best to get to Allentown next year!

#240 4 years ago

Another great show! Brought 3 games for free play this year which was a record for me. Sold one, traded one, and brought one home. Great game selection and didn't encounter too many games not working compared to past years.

The long line outside seems like a solvable problem. I wasn't affected by it but I can understand the complaints. Again, seems fixable with either more people running the ticket window or some kind of pre-sale system.

As for the lines on the new games, how about mandatory 4 player? Make some friends, groups of 4 can crowd around the machine and take turns. Better to rotate than waiting for someone to finish a full game.

Anyway, I had a great time as usual and will be back next year for sure.

#241 4 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

sorry you misunderstood what I was saying...
    'A pinhead show' meaning that the vast majority of people were collectors and those that appreciate the finer aspects of game quality, restorations, rare stuff, etc... It is fun to go to hobbyist shows like that where you can nerd out and learn and genuinely connect with other like minded people.
    'A general public show' is what many of these are becoming. Basically a pop up arcade where it is mass promoted to the general publoc and the vast majority in attendance are their for entertainment and not to nerd out as a hobbyist.
    Both are fine and dandy. Just pointing out how any show going through growing pains and changes could be alarming for those that go expecting the first and arrive to the second.
    Keep in mind that as a person bringing a game and supporting a show, the audience can greatly impact your decision to bring a game.
    Also keep in mind that when people bringing games are only compensated with a minimal amount but those same games are the major drawn bringing in big ticket sales for an event... it starts to change the dynamic for some.

If you want a pinhead show for pinheads only then the price of admission must include that everyone must bring a pin to the show. That will keep out the general public and “riff-raff”.

But if you are looking to sell you have a much smaller market to sell to.

#242 4 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

If you want a pinhead show for pinheads only then the price of admission must include that everyone must bring a pin to the show. That will keep out the general public and “riff-raff”.
    But if you are looking to sell you have a much smaller market to sell to.

Do people in this hobby think it belongs to them, and only them? And people in the same mindset are the only ones allowed to enjoy it?

If so, they really need to evaluate themselves and how they could function into becoming human.

#243 4 years ago

I would like to thank Ivan for once again running a great show for us vendors and for all of the players as well.
    I would like to suggest a massage booth for next year for the vendors ... JK Although it would help...
    Special thanks to Tim for seeing me laboring to get packed up and helping me out big time...
    I would also like to thank the customers for showing up year after year and spending their hard earned money on this hobby. It was our pleasure to serve you once again. See you in MA next month!!!

Thank you Ivan and company for all of your efforts year after year.

Manny
    Lights Out Pinball

#244 4 years ago
    Quoted from SilverUnicorn:

Was worth it just for this
    Had a nice conversation with Jack. Was nice to talk to him one on one and not in his booth with all the commotion. He told me that Bad Cats 2 is the next title but don't tell anyone!
    And Todd is always a hoot![quoted image][quoted image]

In my quest to play all 30 system 11 games, bad cats is one of just a few left I haven't got to yet.

My hat's off to you. Glad you enjoyed it.

#245 4 years ago
    Quoted from erak:

Well the op deactivated his account. Kind of glad. We all may bitch about things we don't like in pinball. I'm guilty of that myself. But that's part of being passionate about your hobby. But I would never complain about a show. Or a line at a show. Just be glad there are shows. Without them this hobby would have been doomed along time ago. I think everyone wants pinball to thrive. Allentown is one of the best around.

He did this about the show.

He did this by deactivating.

A pattern me thinks

0 (resized).jpg0 (resized).jpg
    #246 4 years ago
    Quoted from FlashDaddy:

I don't actually own any machines myself rkahr but I'll swing by and say hello in Tacoma. And I'll do my best to get to Allentown next year!

If you drive, it's a great place to buy a machine - be it your first or your 51st. Where else can somebody in the market for a pinball machine go to see this variety of games for sale (new and used), sitting side-by-side and set up for try-before-you-buy? If you know exactly what you want, it's possible to set up a pre-sale and meeting that pre-sale at the show avoids figuring out the whole shipping aspect of a remote sale. If you're not sure what you want, Allentown is the largest pinball store on the planet. FlashDaddy , driving from the west coast doesn't seem realistic, but certainly there are people driving 1/3 to 1/2 that distance (e.g., Florida, Illinois)... looking forward to meeting in Tacoma!

Maybe next year's theme should be "The World's Pinball Store"?

-Rob
    -visit http://www.kahr.us to get my daughterboard that helps fix WPC pinball resets or my replacement LED display boards for model H & model S Skee Ball

#247 4 years ago

My major issue is they ran out of large T's
    They were already out of them 1st thing on Sat. morning.
    How can I show my love for pinball/pinfest without a commemorative shirt - had to buy a poster instead

#248 4 years ago
    Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

How can I show my love for pinball/pinfest without a commemorative shirt

Put on 50 lbs and buy and XL?

#249 4 years ago
    Quoted from jaytrem:

Put on 50 lbs and buy and XL?

LOL - probably would of gone for an XL but I think the smallest size they had ws 2XL

#250 4 years ago

I would buy a shirt if they run more. Saturday morning they only had small and 2X

There are 444 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 9.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/allentown-sucked/page/5?hl=jaydee and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.