Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 444 posts
  • 197 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by hazmat7719
  • Topic is favorited by 13 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20190503_174231 (resized).jpg
    IMG_4591 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3154_1481578557 (resized).jpg
    1e3fc843317159e5d2fdafb7a679f29de2fbbdaa (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    9ad7b7de064b9fc7d16ae9a93a09e2256ea71f54 (resized).jpg
    image-4 (resized).jpg
    image-6 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20190508-113032_Chrome (resized).jpg
    20190508_054754 (resized).jpg
    77169A18-29DD-4480-BACE-4030644A3BD6 (resized).jpeg
    20190503_153325_resized (resized).jpg
    0 (resized).jpg
    Bad Cat Jack (resized).jpg
    Todd Tuckey 2019 (resized).jpg
    Oscur (resized).jpg

There are 444 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 9.
    #101 4 years ago

I don't think huge attendance at events like this are necessarily an indication that the pinball hobby is growing. We all know that it is growing to an extent but most people that go to stuff like this aren't pinheads. They are families that want to get out and do something fun for the day. People are craving stuff to do in life that isn't too expensive.

#102 4 years ago
    Quoted from DeathHimself:

And your first, one and only post ever on Pinside is to bitch about a show you never made into. That's what is truly ruining the hobby.
    I'm thankful Pinball is growing so big, keeps it going for all of us.

It's a Troll account.

#103 4 years ago
    Quoted from delt31:

I do think $20 sounds awfully low especially if the crowd size is expanding
    I would think the amount paid to people bringing games should increase as the show grows.
    Someone changing a baby on a Pinball machine? That caught my attention haha

Well, let's hope that peson didn't wipe down the game with their Tee-Shirt.

#104 4 years ago
    Quoted from girloveswaffles:

Well, let's hope that peson didn't wipe down the game with their Tee-Shirt.

Then it would be considered a Pee-Shirt

#105 4 years ago

I saw a man at the show working with quiet dignity as a bathroom attendant while listening to Robert Johnson. He was actually eating his lunch...in the bathroom...while...working.
    Kinda puts your complaints in their proper prospective.

#106 4 years ago

I learned today that blue balls term came from the Vervet monkey that actually has blue colored scrotum.

pasted_image (resized).jpegpasted_image (resized).jpeg
    #107 4 years ago

Do I need to call you out (P. E. R). Hope your trip back to the (Main) land was pleasant and you are back in the saddle.

Your friend from RGP (circa 2007)

#108 4 years ago

i wouldnt drive 7 hrs for a 20 year old pamela anderson. to drive 7 hours just to turn around and go home is just crazy.
    i have nothing more to add.

#109 4 years ago

Allentown was a good time, if you can’t fun there, it’s on you

#110 4 years ago
    Quoted from bangerjay:

Unless you’re this guy....

9F155015-7688-4AFF-952B-A57E2B75E385 (resized).jpeg9F155015-7688-4AFF-952B-A57E2B75E385 (resized).jpeg
    #111 4 years ago
    Quoted from bangerjay:

I’ve been going to Allentown for many years and yes the entry line was longer than usual but was actually less than 20 min long from doors opening at 12:00 and when we got in line onsite at 11:25.
    By my rough count we were 250 of about 350+ waiting to get in.
    There were no long lines to play new machines except for wonka which at about 25 min for a play on both models and was worth it.it was great to also play Oktoberfest,Alice cooper, Black Knight , Munsters,Iron Maiden and a mix of other classic games.
    We And everyone we talked to inside seemed to have a great time....

#112 4 years ago
    Quoted from mrm_4:

Unless you’re this guy....[quoted image]

BWWAAAAHAAAAHAAAAHAAAA!

Can I “LIKE” this post more than once!

#NoShowForYou #BanStillInEffect
    #WalkOfShame #ThanksIvan

#113 4 years ago

You sound like an old guy who misses the good ole days

#114 4 years ago
    Quoted from terrapinmark:

BWWAAAAHAAAAHAAAAHAAAA!
    Can I “LIKE” this post more than once!
    #NoShowForYou #BanStillInEffect
    #WalkOfShame #ThanksIvan

Wait, so Pacek is banned from PinFest? Would love to hear the backstory on this.

Show was great BTW

#115 4 years ago

OP just needs to quit bitching and thinking pinball shows are only for himself and his buddies.

#116 4 years ago
    Quoted from Multiballmaniac1:

I learned today that blue balls term came from the Vervet monkey that actually has blue colored scrotum. [quoted image]

Also the same monkey originated blackface. That’s taboo, my apologies

#117 4 years ago
    Quoted from Mogg:

Also the same monkey originated blackface. That’s taboo, my apologies

Was that a joke? Can’t tell, since it wasn’t funny.

#118 4 years ago

I have to say that I only experienced a single crop dusting in my time there. At the White Rose Show I must have been in a fart cloud like 20 times.

#119 4 years ago

Got in line at 10:15, and had 4 people in front of me. I don't mind getting in line early for something I enjoy. I got to meet Ivan and thank him for his efforts. Enjoyable time but wish there were more machines. There were some fine examples of vintage games as well as the recent releases.

#120 4 years ago

Pinfest was fine. Maybe it wasn't up to the OP's expectation, but always a good time.

#121 4 years ago
    Quoted from Playdium:

Got in line at 10:15, and had 4 people in front of me. I don't mind getting in line early for something I enjoy. I got to meet Ivan and thank him for his efforts. Enjoyable time but wish there were more machines. There were some fine examples of vintage games as well as the recent releases.

So standing in line for an hour and a half for a pinball show is fine for you? You must be one of those people who stand outside Best Buy in the rain on Black Friday for that discounted TV.

#122 4 years ago

For $20 I was able to play Oktoberfest, Black Knight, Wonka, ACNC and so many fun and rare pins. OH AND thunderbirds and Mafia! Maybe they could ask for a donation at the door for the folks who brought games. I’d happily pitch in another $5 to a pot. All donations could then be split, who knows. All in all a really fun show!

#123 4 years ago
    Quoted from QuietEarp:

I have to say that I only experienced a single crop dusting in my time there. At the White Rose Show I must have been in a fart cloud like 20 times.

I can vouch for this being WAY the case

#124 4 years ago
    Quoted from guard:

What hobby is supposed to have "value"? $$$
    Either it's a job (make money) or a hobby (lose money). I find the only bitter pinball people I have met, since I started 5 years ago, are the ones who keep mixing up these lines.

What I was trying to say is, I was not getting $9000 worth of enjoyment/value out of my games and I would say 98% of the folks on here do. We have to be honest here, are these things worth $8-$12k? Heck no, I sold everything put $100k in my pocket and if I want to play pinball I drive down to the local arcade. Hobbies have tons of value especially if you turn your hobby into a way to pay for itself like lots us have over the years.

#125 4 years ago

Things perhaps could have been done to alleviate the line. And it was crowded.

But growing the industry requires organic growth, and that means pulling in people off the street.

I didn't know you could buy pinball machines or the state of the industry when I decided to relive my youth with a WCS, on a whim.

I discovered Pinfest a few years ago and went looking for a WCS. Didn't find one, got a new ST Pro instead.

That's organic growth, that's sort of the point of the shows.

#126 4 years ago
    Quoted from embryonjohn:

I saw a man at the show working with quiet dignity as a bathroom attendant while listening to Robert Johnson. He was actually eating his lunch...in the bathroom...while...working.

Pic of One of those "brats" talking to him while he's trying to work. The nerve of those "street" people!
    bowl (resized).jpgbowl (resized).jpg

#127 4 years ago

I should have left my brats home. My day was ruined over and over again by being beaten by 7 year olds.

Other than that I had a great time! Played loads of games, met lots of great folks!

Thank you Ivan and everyone else that helped!

#128 4 years ago

been to Allentown 2-3 times which is a 2.5 hr drive each way. I have to say that it may not be ideal to wait in line 10-20 minutes to play a new pin, but the free play section was great and worth the trip plus meeting other pinball people.

If it's super crowded now (I don't know) but that's a good problem means that more people are interested in pinball.

Same with people say prices are too high, that also means the hobby is healthy and growing (If more games can be sold etc.).

#129 4 years ago

At least I didn't see any totes bags hanging from plungers

#130 4 years ago
    Quoted from sulli10:

LOL. Well that's what I call "On the scenes reporting". Maybe a bit TMI but to the point.
    I am stuck working on the west coast. I would love to be dealing with this terrible show.

Lol, yes, the show was terrible! Sorry about the TMI, but I had been hearing Jaws music in my head as I entered the bathroom- and if you’d seen the bathrooms at the York show few years ago you’d know why - but it wasn’t a horror show and I was relieved (lol) for that!

Show was AWESOME! I attend every year with a friend and always meet up with or bump into friends there. All the major vendors attend, all the new machines are set up to play, and the free play area is full of good stuff. Yes, a lot of the pin prices are laughably high. Sorry Ed, but $1,800 for a Dolly?

Farmers market, as usual, is great for lunch. Stayed sober this year and was exhausted after about 6 hours of steady pinball. I’ll certainly have to train if I ever dare try the 24 hours of pinball at the Sanctum.

Thanks for a great show everyone! Sorry you missed it OP.

#131 4 years ago

Another limited, personal, subjective perspective of a first timer (probably one of the bad guys):

I arrived around 1.30PM on Friday and was surprised by the line at the entry, because I didn't expect that. Naively I thought that this might be a good time and fill more and more up towards the evening with people leaving work. But it looked worse than it was. It took me ca. 15 minutes and I was in. I found it a bit confusing that the second booth for the tickets wasn't manned.

So I went in, not knowing what to expect. It was crowded, noisy and in the first minutes a bit overwhelming. As an introvert it was definitely not the environment I excel, but it was fascinating as well.

I walked through the show looking here and there just observing. People acted friendly, respectfully, stood in line and rotated through when required. The flea market area was great to take a breath - less crowded and not as loud... After the first impression and first round I began to play at the machines that were free and stepped away as soon somebody stood behind me and I lost my third ball. People who where watching the machine next to the ones I wanted to play, went out of the way without me needing to say anything.

I liked the fact that some parents were there and brought their kids as well. For some this might be the beginning of the sell-out, for me it shows that there might be a future. I didn't observe any strange behavior, on the contrary. Mostly it was loving parents or dads, who even brought a little step, so the little ones could play. Actually I loved it that much that I am considering to bring at least my older son next year as well (he will be 5). I showed him pictures and he was disappointed that I didn't take him with me.

Before my third round I talked shortly to Melissa from Cointaker regarding my open orders. She was very friendly, explained the different situations to me, by when to expect them and was very accommodating. Actually I would have fully understood other reactions, but she was super nice.

In my third round I queued for some machines and again made only positive experiences. Everybody was awesome and it was really just short waits. I didn't stop them, but a couple of mins max.

Against my expectation it got less crowded over time. Round about 4.30 it seemed pretty empty in comparison to 1.45. I didn't stay much longer and also didn't bring anything home (was completely prepared and ready to bring a machine home), but it was a great experience anyhow.

I can partially understand if some long-term enthusiasts perceive this as a sell-out, but in that case my advice would be: Put your actions where your keyboard is. If you don't like this, start your own show and do it better, smaller, more exclusive, niche or whatever you prefer.

#132 4 years ago

First time to Allentown for myself and the wife, we had a great time! Wait to get in? 45 minutes Saturday morning, we showed up an hour before open and scored a space right up front.

Brought a machine down, came home with another. Meet up with some other Pinsiders and picked up a system 80B display, 4 legs, 2 new ramps and a neon beer sign, everything went butter smooth.

Played more classic games than I can remember- Blackout, Dr. Who, Loop the Loop, Close Encounters of the third kind, Space Station, DE Star Wars, Stargate, Alien Star, Genie, Bad Cats, Dolly, Kiss, Fireball (which was DIALED IN, game was amazing) Stellar Wars, Genesis, Camelot home brew game, Eight Ball Deluxe. Went through vendors several times looking for parts, ended up grabbing a spare pf glass on general principle. All were happy to answer questions.

Kids? To be honest did not notice any till we were leaving around 3PM. Most people were courteous and did not hog a machine. Rare was it that we had to wait and in that case we simply moved to another game near by that we had not played yet.

My wife enjoyed herself immensely there and the farmers market next store and will be back for the next show. With a larger vehicle to bring more pins home
    20190503_122426_resized (resized).jpg20190503_122426_resized (resized).jpg20190503_160922_resized (resized).jpg20190503_160922_resized (resized).jpg

#133 4 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

sorry you misunderstood what I was saying...
    'A pinhead show' meaning that the vast majority of people were collectors and those that appreciate the finer aspects of game quality, restorations, rare stuff, etc... It is fun to go to hobbyist shows like that where you can nerd out and learn and genuinely connect with other like minded people.
    'A general public show' is what many of these are becoming. Basically a pop up arcade where it is mass promoted to the general publoc and the vast majority in attendance are their for entertainment and not to nerd out as a hobbyist.
    Both are fine and dandy. Just pointing out how any show going through growing pains and changes could be alarming for those that go expecting the first and arrive to the second.
    Keep in mind that as a person bringing a game and supporting a show, the audience can greatly impact your decision to bring a game.
    Also keep in mind that when people bringing games are only compensated with a minimal amount but those same games are the major drawn bringing in big ticket sales for an event... it starts to change the dynamic for some.

#134 4 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

sorry you misunderstood what I was saying...
    'A pinhead show' meaning that the vast majority of people were collectors and those that appreciate the finer aspects of game quality, restorations, rare stuff, etc... It is fun to go to hobbyist shows like that where you can nerd out and learn and genuinely connect with other like minded people.
    'A general public show' is what many of these are becoming. Basically a pop up arcade where it is mass promoted to the general publoc and the vast majority in attendance are their for entertainment and not to nerd out as a hobbyist.
    Both are fine and dandy. Just pointing out how any show going through growing pains and changes could be alarming for those that go expecting the first and arrive to the second.
    Keep in mind that as a person bringing a game and supporting a show, the audience can greatly impact your decision to bring a game.
    Also keep in mind that when people bringing games are only compensated with a minimal amount but those same games are the major drawn bringing in big ticket sales for an event... it starts to change the dynamic for some.

You said you had a blast last year... it was the same experience this year.

#135 4 years ago

Just came back from Allentown a few hours ago, was a little disappointed that a lot of the free play machines were gone when I got there. Overall still a good show. Got to play the new Wonka pin, as well as Munsters, Black Knight and Oktoberfest.

#136 4 years ago
    Quoted from QuietEarp:

Sorry. That was me

#137 4 years ago

Fixing the line is very easy. The line is out there an hour early. The show is cash only. Have 2 workers which are there anyway walk the line. One takes the money and one puts the wristband on. Then when doors open the people can just walk in and the line dissepates instantly. Boom. Solved.

#138 4 years ago

Allentown was great as usual. Game selection was much better than last year plenty of good stuff.

I bought a stern Magic, picked up a HS2, and dropped off a Transformers and Indiana Jones. All deals went smoothly. I should have bought that gorgeous Firepower Bundy brought, it was a steal at 2200.

I'll add I think it's hilarious anybody thinks the OP is Pacak.

I'll be diplomatic and say it doesn't exactly match his writing style.

#139 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Allentown was great as usual. Game selection was much better than last year plenty of good stuff.
    I bought a stern Magic, picked up a HS2, and dropped off a Transformers and Indiana Jones. All deals went smoothly. I should have bought that gorgeous Firepower Bundy brought, it was a steal at 2200.
    I'll add I think it's hilarious anybody thinks the OP is Pacak.
    I'll be diplomatic and say it doesn't exactly match his writing style.

Was that the Magic in the flea market area? I'm jealous, the backglass on it looked great.

It was crowded, and the number of games that leave early always sucks, but my lady friend and I had fun overall.

#140 4 years ago
    Quoted from thirdedition:

Was that the Magic in the flea market area? I'm jealous, the backglass on it looked great.
    It was crowded, and the number of games that leave early always sucks, but my lady friend and I had fun overall.

No was a prearranged parking lot deal. The one in the flea market did look nice, plus one in free play for $850. Plenty of nice Magics around this weekend!

#141 4 years ago

We just got back, so nice having a close local show. First, I want to say that even though I didn’t have to wait on line to get in, as a vendor, the lines on Friday to get in were completely unacceptable and I feel very badly for anyone that had to endure that. If this show is going to grow, and I hope it does, this is the first thing that needs to be fixed. One ticket taker is inexcusable. Online pre-sales and multi-day tickets also need to be considered.

Now for the good stuff. We had a great time and Ivan and his crew put on what we felt was a flawless show, entry lines notwithstanding. Zero complaints, all good. There were a lot more people this year, but inside it still felt comfortable. We really enjoyed meeting everyone we came in contact with and thanks to everybody who stopped by, whether you bought something or not from us, it was great to speak with other pinheads. Thanks to all who brought games, great selection. I wasn’t looking to buy so I didn’t care about the prices.

We had an MMr standard in our booth that was provided to us by a friend in the next booth. I had modded the game for him. I didn’t have it on free play, but was happy to add credits to anyone who asked or looked like they wanted to play, especially the kids. Seemed to be a big hit, many could not tell if it was an original or remake. We also had a capcom airborne on free play that was a pretty good hit as most hadn’t seen one before.

Huge thanks to Cointaker and PinballStar for bringing all their games. As a vendor, I had a chance to play a few games before the show opened, loved Wonka and Oktoberfest.Not sure about Black Knight yet, very fast, tight shots. Also great to be near Pinnovators and our friends at Pingraffix, Tilt Graphics and Lighted Pinball Mods, the vendor community is really a great group of people and we are really happy to be part of it. Loved being next to Bob, Rich and Nestor and their wives, made the show just that much better.

Lastly, congrats to my friend Alek, who I believe won the Pinfest Tournament, beating Bowen!

Thanks to all who made this a great show for us and We are looking forward to next year!

#142 4 years ago

Allentown ? It's not next week ?

#143 4 years ago

close thread on this note.

pasted_image (resized).jpegpasted_image (resized).jpeg
    #144 4 years ago

You mean there was a pinball show????
    Man I gotta stay away from those buffalo chicken pretzel wraps.

#145 4 years ago
    Quoted from mrm_4:

Unless you’re this guy....[quoted image]

This guy was directly in front of me and was booted by security. Said he had a history? Not sure what he did or who he pissed off

#146 4 years ago

Hey all I’ve been lurker on Pinside for the past couple of months and this is my first post. My story real quick. Took my family (wife & daughter to Rock Fantasy in Middletown NY it has about 40 or so pinball machines.) My daughter is 16 years old and had never played pinball before and she instantly took a liking to it. We went back a few times to really get a feel for a game that I would buy NIB. After 4 visits to Rock Fantasy. We decided on Gotg. We purchased in late mid March and already has 700 plays on it. From there I became a major lurking on Pinside and began watching many You Tube pinball videos. I found out about The Allentown Pinfest from this forum and I my wife and daughter went not knowing what to expect. We met so many friendly people, we played many great pinball machines including BKsor. We had a great time and while we were there we already started talking about next year. Thank you to all the vendors and people who made Allentown Pinfest happen. This morning I woke and decided to purchase my 2nd NIB machine BKsor and already began ordering mods from Mezelmods and Tilt graphics. My family and I are hooked especially my daughter and The Allentown Pinfest had a say in purchasing BKsor. Like many are saying this hobby is growing and my family and I are becoming part of it.

9842807F-54B6-41A0-8FB7-A39945BEBCC5 (resized).jpeg9842807F-54B6-41A0-8FB7-A39945BEBCC5 (resized).jpeg
    #147 4 years ago

Can anyone explain why the show doesn't open until noon on Friday, I personally can only spend a few hours there and 3 hours isn't nearly enough time to do everything, it used to open at 10am and I see no justification for opening at noon, the vendors have their own entrance so the lines have no effect on their coming in, this is an extremely poor choice of times, if anything the people going in early will help with lines at the new machines.

#148 4 years ago

Great show as usual! I played maybe 4 games and spent the other 8 hours talking to folks I see once a year. Great time!

My suggestion is bring a game to the show if you wanna get in early.

I do think there should be more than one person taking money at door. The show has gotten pretty large and a pre-sell option may be necessary. Can’t wait till next year.

#149 4 years ago

I went both days and had a great time.

#150 4 years ago

I didn’t go at all, but love reading the posts!

There are 444 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 9.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/allentown-sucked/page/3?hl=spinout and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.