Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 444 posts
  • 197 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by hazmat7719
  • Topic is favorited by 13 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20190503_174231 (resized).jpg
    IMG_4591 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3154_1481578557 (resized).jpg
    1e3fc843317159e5d2fdafb7a679f29de2fbbdaa (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    9ad7b7de064b9fc7d16ae9a93a09e2256ea71f54 (resized).jpg
    image-4 (resized).jpg
    image-6 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20190508-113032_Chrome (resized).jpg
    20190508_054754 (resized).jpg
    77169A18-29DD-4480-BACE-4030644A3BD6 (resized).jpeg
    20190503_153325_resized (resized).jpg
    0 (resized).jpg
    Bad Cat Jack (resized).jpg
    Todd Tuckey 2019 (resized).jpg
    Oscur (resized).jpg
    There are 444 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 9.
    #51 4 years ago
    Quoted from Guidotorpedo:

Lol is this Pacak

This is what I was thinking!

#52 4 years ago
    Quoted from romulusx:

This is what I was thinking!

Me too.

#53 4 years ago

I agree with the OP. Allentown is ruined. I wish it was more like the professionally run Ohio show where they have 26 machines and few vendors. There are no lines. Awesome show. /Sarcasm

#54 4 years ago

I do think $20 sounds awfully low especially if the crowd size is expanding
    I would think the amount paid to people bringing games should increase as the show grows.

Someone changing a baby on a Pinball machine? That caught my attention haha

#55 4 years ago
    Quoted from delt31:

I do think 20 sounds awfully low especially if the crowd size is expanding
    I would think the amount paid to people bringing games should increase as the show grows.
    Someone changing a baby on a Pinball machine? That caught my attention haha

Oh,hell no,that ain’t right at all

#56 4 years ago

I drove 3 1/2 hours there, 4 hours back and never played a game. I didn’t enjoy the show either but my circumstances were different and I can’t blame the promoters of the show.

I was bummed before leaving Friday morning because a lot of trades had already been made the night before but I also had lined up a sell before the show so I couldn’t blame anyone else for taking the opportunity. That ended up ruining my day.

I talked to the guy over the phone and instead of going Saturday with my wife, I’d go Friday to meet him there. Confirmed Thursday night , he’d be there from noon to 5 . I arrived at 1:00 saw the line, grabbed lunch at the farmers market (Amish Pretzel Cheesteak/hot pocket) and ended up getting into the show before 2. Buyer hadn’t replied back , started to get nervous, the show was crowded, started calling, but by this time I was in no mood for playing games. Most of the class A games were already sold or overpriced. I was buy myself and my wife wasn’t there to calm me down. Went back to the farmers market to escape the crowds and even sat in my car as I called and texted the buyer again before I left. I had brought $9,000 and a U-Haul plus the money from the game I was selling there but I couldn’t get back in the spirit.
    I drove back through a hail storm, took a day off work, spent $50 on a U-Haul trailer, waited in the same line as everyone else and only played one game of Mortal Kombat 3 on a modded Arcade 1 Up / zero pinballs and I won’t blame the organizers of the Festival for their success and my bad day. Shit happens, pick your self up and move on. Live and learn.
    Silver lining was the Farmers market!

4B90101A-E495-4542-AE23-460E69B8AA11 (resized).jpeg4B90101A-E495-4542-AE23-460E69B8AA11 (resized).jpeg
    #57 4 years ago
    Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

Silly OP. Maybe the most silly post in Pinside history.
    No line this morning. Posting this while taking a dump on a clean toilet in a mostly empty bathroom.

LOL. Well that's what I call "On the scenes reporting". Maybe a bit TMI but to the point.

I am stuck working on the west coast. I would love to be dealing with this terrible show.

#58 4 years ago

It was awesome! Can’t wait until next year.

#59 4 years ago

It's ok, grandpa. Now you are safe at home, destined to be the keyboard warrior you were always meant to be.

#60 4 years ago
    Quoted from rwalters21:

I had a great experience with lermods, both he and his wife were very friendly and helpful.

Meant for say that these 3 sellers are awesome...

#61 4 years ago

Show was better than usual I thought.

Glad there were lines. Indicative of a thriving hobby.

#62 4 years ago

Only real issue was the line. Needs pre-sales, maybe tiered entrance fee for early admission (can of worms but...)

#63 4 years ago

I’m not nearly as down on it as the OP, but it’s definitely less fun than in past years. It was super crowded and vendors and games were packed in. I’d love to see it moved to a different venue that was more open. I also think there’s an opportunity to better incentive people to bring more games that are actually in good condition or hard to find. The downfall of Pinfest is that there are more people attending and the same number of games (including about 25% that are pretty rough). I’d love to see a quality over quantity incentive. Honestly it’s better to simply drive to Pinball Gallery, Railroad or Sunshine Laundromat to play better games with less lines and for less money.

#64 4 years ago

I saw pictures of the line at noon here on Pinside. That looked lame, but it also looked like an easy to address staffing issue (that was not addressed properly). I showed up at 1:45 and walked right up and paid and got let in. Literally no-one was in front of me.

I remember Pin-a-go-go a few years ago (maybe 4 or 5) there was a large line to get in when doors opened. It was not that terrible a line though I do remember it was quite long.

Seems like an easy fix of adding more people selling tickets at door opening.

I had a good time!

#65 4 years ago

Definitely more crowded this year, which caused some aggravation. But here are some suggestions to fix those issues for next year.

1. Increase the price for admission. You then could subsidized paying owners for brining their machines.
    2. Pay each pin owner for brining in their pin. Not sure what the price would be (maybe $25.00 per day), this may increase the amount of pins brought to the show. Also require this now pins can be sold and taken out until after a certain time.
    3. Pre-paid admission. There are many website that can help with this.
    4. Special admission time for individual paying more money. Maybe the Friday before the show starts from 10:00 -12:00.
    5. Hire more individuals to sell tickets.
    6. Maybe find a larger venue.

#66 4 years ago

Love this guy.

E86342A0-CB18-4AFB-800E-B342CC48C08D (resized).jpegE86342A0-CB18-4AFB-800E-B342CC48C08D (resized).jpeg
    #67 4 years ago

And there were hot chicks this year too.

F63EDF91-5692-40D5-A18C-709DFBA7547E (resized).jpegF63EDF91-5692-40D5-A18C-709DFBA7547E (resized).jpeg
    #68 4 years ago

PINBALL SHOW : PINFEST 2019 WALKTHRU : ALLENTOWN PENNSYLVANIA

Pinfest 2019 has come and gone once again. Another great show and with some great games to be played. Only two new titles were released and present at the show this year (Willy Wonka and Stern’s Black Knight). Thanks to the great pinball distributors for bringing the new games and allowing them to be played.

This year, many people attended the show. The line to get in wrapped around the parking lot like a serpent. It seemed like more people were attending the show than past years either because the crowd was larger and more people are getting into the hobby or because the facility only had one ticket booth open compared to prior years that had two taking your $20 cash only at the door. Maybe in upcoming years the organizers may want to take pre-sales on the Internet for ticket purchasing to the show for speedier lines when the doors open.

Blog Post :
    https://pinballsupernova.wordpress.com/2019/05/04/pinball-show-pinfest-2019-walkthru-allentown-pennsylvania/

YouTube Post :

Pinfest 2019 Title (resized).jpgPinfest 2019 Title (resized).jpg
    #69 4 years ago

I made it in 2016 and had very much fun. Lots of good games and people. Oh yeah, the food building was awesome. Many, many choices!!

#70 4 years ago
    Quoted from wiggy07:

PINBALL SHOW : PINFEST 2019 WALKTHRU : ALLENTOWN PENNSYLVANIA
    Pinfest 2019 has come and gone once again. Another great show and with some great games to be played. Only two new titles were released and present at the show this year (Willy Wonka and Stern’s Black Knight). Thanks to the great pinball distributors for bringing the new games and allowing them to be played.
    This year, many people attended the show. The line to get in wrapped around the parking lot like a serpent. It seemed like more people were attending the show than past years either because the crowd was larger and more people are getting into the hobby or because the facility only had one ticket booth open compared to prior years that had two taking your $20 cash only at the door. Maybe in upcoming years the organizers may want to take pre-sales on the Internet for ticket purchasing to the show for speedier lines when the doors open.
    Blog Post :
    https://pinballsupernova.wordpress.com/2019/05/04/pinball-show-pinfest-2019-walkthru-allentown-pennsylvania/
    YouTube Post :
    [quoted image]

Wow. Video evidence of the droves of scumbag street people eating on machines, changing their kids diapers on machines, lines so long people were having to wait an hour to play Thunderbirds...people having a generally terrible time.

Thanks documenting the carnage, Lee!

#71 4 years ago

Not sure how the OP can complain about brats, crowds and packed washrooms if he/she hasn't walked through the door in two years.

#72 4 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

sounds like the show is changing dramatically.
    Allentown was definitely a blast for the wife and I last year, but that was largely because it was still a pinhead show and not a general public expo.
    If this was marketed as an expo similar to TPF and MGC, I could see that as being a rude awakening to all the old timers that have helped build it up to what it is. It had a lot of charm last year and part of that was the ease of access and that is was just a bunch of pinheads having fun with each other.
    Each show is different and it does seem many promoters are making it all about cashing in and no doubt these things can make big bucks for those running them (granted without pins the shows wont happen at all so I can see the OPs point in needing more than $20 in perks for bringing a game that is generating hundreds in head count revenue form the general public in attendance). I think this is a tricky balance that all shows are going to need to think about.

“A pinhead show and not a general public expo...”

WTF are you talking about? What’s up with elitist “you don’t belong” attitude that some collectors carry.

Here’s what was happening at Allentown yesterday: People were there having a great time on machines that are designed to entertain people.

I have an idea, next year ticket takers should have attendees take a 10 question pinball exam. They could make the questions nearly impossible for John Q. Public to answer... and anyone failing to answer will have their hand stamped. That stamp keeps them from entry.... AND it will also keep them gaining entry from the adjacent Farmers Market building... Lord knows those vendors don’t want a lot of foot traffic either.

#73 4 years ago

Was that literally this guys first post?

Move along kids. Nothing to see here.

Watched the video. Looked like a great show. Yeah it's hard to deal with something you like getting popular, but you adapt or die.

#74 4 years ago

He wants the old days where he could go there and whine about the death of Pinball while buying up hundreds of $50 games to store in his barn of course.Barns now empty and he may have to work for a livin'....

#75 4 years ago
    EC9ACFEA-2C3A-47CA-BCB1-B43B70177F9D (resized).jpegEC9ACFEA-2C3A-47CA-BCB1-B43B70177F9D (resized).jpeg
    #76 4 years ago
    Quoted from QuietEarp:

I saw pictures of the line at noon here on Pinside. That looked lame, but it also looked like an easy to address staffing issue (that was not addressed properly). I showed up at 1:45 and walked right up and paid and got let in. Literally no-one was in front of me.
    I remember Pin-a-go-go a few years ago (maybe 4 or 5) there was a large line to get in when doors opened. It was not that terrible a line though I do remember it was quite long.
    Seems like an easy fix of adding more people selling tickets at door opening.
    I had a good time!

Pin-a-Go-Go and now Golden State Pinball Festival are different animals though. As non-profit shows we only have so many volunteers to go around.

That said we have a 3 day pass table set up outside. You buy your pass, get your wristband and into a line that goes straight in when the doors open. The big line is for non pass holders and credit card users. We always have an atm onsite to get around that too.

#77 4 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Each show is different and it does seem many promoters are making it all about cashing in

Oh no, they’re trying to get people to the event they worked hard to throw. What greedy bastards.

The opening post is clearly just someone throwing a tantrum, who cares. Sounds like every show would be better with them staying home.

But you’ve been around too long for that nonsense. There are much easier ways to make money. Don’t be a hater because your hobby is getting more popular. Isn’t that what people want?

#78 4 years ago

Heck, just leave the hobby or stop giving your money to these people if your not happy. The hobby has gotten crazy stupid over the last 4 years. Hard to find any value in it anymore.

#79 4 years ago

It was crowded and there were some crop dusters present, they were the worst part of the show but is normal at pin shows. The zizzle POTC with subwoofer was ridiculous as was the Big Hurt at $4500 and DE Star Wars at $6k were just a fews of the greedy people at show. Otherwise was a great time getting to play all the new games and some older games that were working right. Didnt care much for BKsor but Iron Maiden kicked ass.

#80 4 years ago
    Quoted from ElDorado:

After 20 years this was my last A-town.
    Well actually last year was, cause after driving 7 hours to get there I never even went in the show.
    This show is no longer about pinball, it's about lining the promoters pockets.
    We all saw the line. The crowds. I've never experienced anything like like it. For years you could show up at 11:00 or so, even 11:30 and get right in at 12.
    This was disgusting.
    It's time for the people who work their assess off dragging machines to the show, setting them up, and keeping them running for a lousy $20 day to stop.
    You are being used.
    And yes, I used to be one of those guys.
    It used to be Friday was the pinball enthusiasts day, it was low key and you could play anything you wanted.
    Strike up a lot of nice conversations too.
    Or Friday evening for a couple of hours when people went to dinner you might have 3 really nice hours at the show with like minded people.
    NOT ANY MORE. Greedy SOB has ruined the show. Apparently he is marketing it to the locals, who find it a cheap place to bring their brats for an afternoon.
    I knew it was done when Ivan took over. Just a couple of years ago I watched someone change a baby on top of a game. That's the type of people he's attracting.
    So at 1:30 with a line still a 1000' long and and an hour wait we canceled our room and headed home, another 7 hour drive and never even got in.
    Vendors should think about who their customers are and are they reaching them with this show.
    I had $1000 play money just for parts and stuff. Didn't spend one dime.
    Do you think john q. public was in there buying LEDS and stuff? Never mind not buying any games.
    Bringing a machine for free play is a sucker bet. You work that hard to have your valuable collectibles mauled by a bunch of street people. You are working for $20 day and risking your expensive games.
    Ivan laughs all the way to the bank cause of your generosity.
    You should be getting at least $250 per day rental fee for your machine, and delivery and setup charges.
    You are being used, and if you don't think so check out the accomodations made people who bring machines to other shows.
    I don't know how he gets people to still do it.
    This chump has ruined the show for pinball people.
    First thing he did was destroy the flea market.
    Now this.
    We all saw what went on. Even the Farmers Market was slammed with the overflow, I heard a number of vendors freaking out over it. The bathrooms were jammed. And you it was almost impossible to get waited on.
    And it was mostly pinball people that got shut out of the show, I saw many that just kept trying to get in all afternoon.
    I am sure many of you will disagree and tell me it was the best ever. I am truly happy that you enjoyed it. But this is no longer A-town, it's just a money making racket at players and collectors expense.
    I am done, have seen the last of A-town.

Nice first post. Way to make a splash! (in the toilet!)

#81 4 years ago
    Quoted from woody76:Heck, just leave the hobby or stop giving your money to these people if your not happy. The hobby has gotten crazy stupid over the last 4 years. Hard to find any value in it anymore.

What hobby is supposed to have "value"? $$$
    Either it's a job (make money) or a hobby (lose money). I find the only bitter pinball people I have met, since I started 5 years ago, are the ones who keep mixing up these lines.

#82 4 years ago

its my party and i'll cry if want too, cry if I want too, cry if I want too...……...……...….....

#83 4 years ago

Well we're playing here in Allentown
    And they're jotting all the high scores down
    El Dorado drove for half of a day
    Took a look at the lines
    And chose not to stay
    While the farmers market line's out the door
    Bowen's crushing everyone's score
    Some parent changed their kid on a game
    That is kind of gross
    And also quite lame
    But we're playing here in Allentown

#84 4 years ago
    Quoted from EvanDickson:

Well we're playing here in Allentown
    And they're jotting all the high scores down
    El Dorado drove for half of a day
    Took a look at the lines
    And chose not to stay
    While the farmers market line's out the door
    Bowen's crushing everyone's score
    Some parent changed their kid on a game
    That is kind of gross
    And also quite lame
    But we're playing here in Allentown

#85 4 years ago

I call Bullsh#T. We were in line around 12:30 a total of 20 minutes give or take. It was snaked around a little but no biggy. When we came out about an hour later the line was gone. Everyone was basically inside. If you left for a 7 hour drive after just eyeballing the line then your an impatient hot head. Take a deep breath and enjoy.

One of the better shows on the East coast with some of the hottest anticipated titles available Wonka, Munsters, Black Knight.

#86 4 years ago

We drove up 985 miles from Florida dragging a couple of pins in the enclosed trailer. They got us in and allowed us not to wait in the f’d up line both days. Show has been fun more of a swap meet than the shows in the south. People are fun and have been friendly met some great pinheads but we did hit a few crop dusting mothers frs but hey it isn’t a pinball show without someone sharting themselves as the walk down the rows. Overall good experience staff appears to be a bit disorganized but that gives it the flea market feel that makes Allentown unique. Food has been outstanding across the street. The pretzel rolls are killer along with the Korean hot dogs and breakfast burritos at the Mexican food stand. Great parts and project shopping nothing like this at any of the shows back home. Tournament was also a bit chaotic but they have worked through the bugs. Will most definitely be back it has been a fun weekend. Will be packing up tonight and headed back home have some room available if anyone needs something shipped from the show down I95 drop me a pm.
    Regards,
    Al

#87 4 years ago
    Quoted from Deadlander:

but we did hit a few crop dusting mothers frs but hey it isn’t a pinball show without someone sharting themselves as the walk down the rows

Post of the day right here folks!

#88 4 years ago
    Quoted from ElDorado:

After 20 years this was my last A-town.

This is probably the top rated “First post” on Pinside. It took you 4 years to say something, and the first thing out of your mouth is bitching? Inspired.

I didn’t have time to get down there this year, but I assume I’ll be standing in line for some fun next year.

#89 4 years ago

Nothing worst than a crop duster, nasty bastards.

#90 4 years ago
    Quoted from Deadlander:

We drove up 985 miles from Florida dragging a couple of pins in the enclosed trailer. They got us in and allowed us not to wait in the f’d up line both days. Show has been fun more of a swap meet than the shows in the south. People are fun and have been friendly met some great pinheads but we did hit a few crop dusting mothers frs but hey it isn’t a pinball show without someone sharting themselves as the walk down the rows. Overall good experience staff appears to be a bit disorganized but that gives it the flea market feel that makes Allentown unique. Food has been outstanding across the street. The pretzel rolls are killer along with the Korean hot dogs and breakfast burritos at the Mexican food stand. Great parts and project shopping nothing like this at any of the shows back home. Tournament was also a bit chaotic but they have worked through the bugs. Will most definitely be back it has been a fun weekend. Will be packing up tonight and headed back home have some room available if anyone needs something shipped from the show down I95 drop me a pm.
    Regards,
    Al

Thanks for sharing, Al.

i have never been, but cant imagine driving 7 hours and turning around because of a line.
    Chat with the people next to you.....it might be the best thing!

Value is only what someone is willing to pay.
    Im uniquely aware, in other business, of people paying $1200 for a $15 item with pride, as well as
    the reverse...something for hundreds, that is now worthless.

Dont like it? Dont buy it. Everything changes.

#91 4 years ago
    Quoted from pinbum:

Nothing worst than a crop duster, nasty bastards.

Presume you didn't choose your user name with this in mind?

#92 4 years ago
    Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Curious how you chose your user name?

I like pinball and the Bum part was my dogs name.

#93 4 years ago
    Quoted from delt31:

I do think $20 sounds awfully low especially if the crowd size is expanding

You mean you get paid to bring games! WOW Lucky you guys! Just a thought, Come Early....

#94 4 years ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

This is probably the top rated “First post” on Pinside. It took you 4 years to say something, and the first thing out of your mouth is bitching? Inspired.

#95 4 years ago

The show was FANTASTIC! Ivan does a wonderful job and we should all be grateful for such an event. I've been going to the shows for 20 years and Pinfest is absolutely fabulous. I saw a number of nice machines there at reasonable "current market" prices. Nothing is cheap anymore unless you are lucky enough to find it. I bought some parts, sold some parts, sold the game I brought for freeplay and also brought home another game.

Don't want to wait in line and come in early for FREE? Bring a game to the show.

Don't want to bring a game? Show up at 1-2pm and walk right in!

Thank you Ivan and staff for putting on another successful event!

#96 4 years ago
    Quoted from ElDorado:

You should be getting at least $250 per day rental fee for your machine, and delivery and setup charges.

What do you think that would do to the price of admission?

#97 4 years ago
    Quoted from 27dnast:

“A pinhead show and not a general public expo...”

WTF are you talking about? What’s up with elitist “you don’t belong” attitude that some collectors carry.

sorry you misunderstood what I was saying...

'A pinhead show' meaning that the vast majority of people were collectors and those that appreciate the finer aspects of game quality, restorations, rare stuff, etc... It is fun to go to hobbyist shows like that where you can nerd out and learn and genuinely connect with other like minded people.

'A general public show' is what many of these are becoming. Basically a pop up arcade where it is mass promoted to the general publoc and the vast majority in attendance are their for entertainment and not to nerd out as a hobbyist.

Both are fine and dandy. Just pointing out how any show going through growing pains and changes could be alarming for those that go expecting the first and arrive to the second.

Keep in mind that as a person bringing a game and supporting a show, the audience can greatly impact your decision to bring a game.
    Also keep in mind that when people bringing games are only compensated with a minimal amount but those same games are the major drawn bringing in big ticket sales for an event... it starts to change the dynamic for some.

#98 4 years ago
    Quoted from ElDorado:

Ivan laughs all the way to the bank

I doubt that. Many shows don't know if they will show a profit or not until after the show and all the expenses taken care of. And many show organizers dedicate a lot of time to putting on a show. Shows don't just happen.

I hope any pinball show organizer has a lot of money left over to haul to a bank. They do all the work. Take all the risks. And I kind of like pinball shows. Otherwise there wouldn't be any.

Shows do change over time. Go to and support the ones you like and that deliver what you are looking for. And if you see Ivan, Dan, Mike, Rob, Ed, etc. etc. be sure and thank them.

LTG : )
    Disclaimer : I don't know all the show organizer's names. Didn't leave any out on purpose.

#99 4 years ago

My experience was way different than the OP, I arrived around 3 pm on Friday, waltzed right in, the place was in full swing, lots of people chatting and getting to play a wide range of games, everyone was great about taking turns playing. The longest line was at Wonka (which I my wallet asked me not to play).

Only disappointment was I missed out on the Cow shirt!

If the promoters reads the posts, they will hopefully implement the pre-sale and multiple cashier suggestions.

#100 4 years ago

make Allentown great again. Maga.

There are 444 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 9.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/allentown-sucked/page/2?hl=guard and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.