(Topic ID: 242237)

Allentown Rocked! Thanks For Making It Happen!

By SantaEatsCheese

4 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 4 years ago

Allentown Rocked!

I took Friday off to drive up to the show and it was totally worth it. There was a wide selection of pinball machines there on free play and I really enjoyed getting to play some different things. Highlights for me were the pimped out Paragon, the BKSOR, Thunderbirds, the Rocky and Bullwinkle, and the vendor selection. I have only really been into the pinball scene for about a year and this was the best selection I have seen in this time. I really appreciated being able to play some new releases I have not seen including Thunderbirds, BKSOR, and seeing WONKA (didn't want to spend an hour in that line). I also really enjoyed getting to play some things that were new to me, like RollerCoaster Tycoon, Airborne, and Rocky and Bullwinkle.

I understand that to the Pinball Veterans there may not have been anything special there, but to those just taking the plunge it was awesome. There were lots of people there, and I'm okay with that. I have seen dozens of threads on this site about younger people not getting into pinball and that show did not reflect that. This did not look like a model train convention and thats a good thing for the future of the Hobby. I understand that many of the deals may have been done by the time doors opened to the public, but there were people coming from all over to this site. This enabled me to pick up a pin for my friend, and pick up one of my own. I was able to pick up a trashed Pinbot for cheaps, along with a nicer project Pinbot to Frankenstein 1 working machine out of. This was only possible because people from Maryland, Virginia, and New Jersey were all coming to one location to see the show. I can understand putting the "I don't want to sell it" price on the machines that are just there for show.

I'd also like to state that the Farmers Market was awesome and totally okay for lunch.

My only big regret was not supporting the show with a machine of my own. I saw alot of the same machines (6 Judge Dredds) but there were notable omissions. Were I to have brought my Hobbit, Jurassic Park, or soon to be fixed Pinbot, I would have had the only one there. I hope in the future there is a way to deconflict what gets brought to the show.

All in all it was a great show and I'm glad that I went.

Here is a walkthrough to get an idea of size.

#2 4 years ago

Cool. Glad you had a good time. Its a 7 hour drive for me and I was unable to go. Maybe next year.

#3 4 years ago

i enjoyed it very much even brought home octoberfest.... bringing it to pintastic new england in june

#4 4 years ago

Despite all the noise, I could always hear that ding-ding-ding of the Fire! bell from clear across the room

#5 4 years ago

First want to say I enjoyed myself at Allentown both Friday and Saturday.

I didn't see a thread for feedback about the show and I didn't feel one needed to be started but wanted to put a couple thoughts out there. I have been going for 5 years I think, show has grown. I know the show is known for the flea market but I think that the second room should be used to better fit the main sections of the show. My thought is the vendors and such could be moved into the second room leaving the main room for the floor games and tournament. Felt a bunch of areas were too crowded and given the locations of those crowds really hindered being able to move about the show. If the vendors were moved into the other room this could greatly help the flow of traffic. The flea market I would be fine with it all being outside. What items were being displayed/sold in that second room the last two years are not in my opinion worth taking up that space if it could be better used to spread out the vendors and floor games to make the show experience better as a whole.

#6 4 years ago
    Quoted from gottafixit:

First want to say I enjoyed myself at Allentown both Friday and Saturday.
    I didn't see a thread for feedback about the show and I didn't feel one needed to be started but wanted to put a couple thoughts out there. I have been going for 5 years I think, show has grown. I know the show is known for the flea market but I think that the second room should be used to better fit the main sections of the show. My thought is the vendors and such could be moved into the second room leaving the main room for the floor games and tournament. Felt a bunch of areas were too crowded and given the locations of those crowds really hindered being able to move about the show. If the vendors were moved into the other room this could greatly help the flow of traffic. The flea market I would be fine with it all being outside. What items were being displayed/sold in that second room the last two years are not in my opinion worth taking up that space if it could be better used to spread out the vendors and floor games to make the show experience better as a whole.

Really sad I had to miss it this year. This post makes me even more sad! Haha

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/allentown-rocked-thanks-for-making-it-happen?hl=welovescott and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.