3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 103 posts
  • 47 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by ryandimx
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image_(resized).jpg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg

There are 103 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 3 years ago

I've been reading through the posts from the Allentown show this weekend, and it seems like a lot of people are complaining about the prices for the games that were for sale.

From what I have been reading the past several months, the general consensus is that prices have been going up, partly because there is a lot of new interest in pinball games. So I'm curious about how things work at a show like the one at Allentown. Do the people selling their personal machines have to pay a percentage to the show, or do they have to pay to bring the machine? And how about the vendors, same thing? I know you get free admission if you bring a machine to the free play area, but beyond that, I haven't researched anything else that goes with it.

I'm in golf retail. I sell clubs on eBay, as well as in my pro shop. In general, it seems like people always think your prices are too high and that you're making a killing when you sell a set of golf clubs for $399. They don't take into account the eBay fees, the PayPal fees, the shipping fees, your time to take pictures of the clubs and the time it takes to actually list those clubs. And on top of that, to stay in business, you have to make a profit.

So moving that over to pinball, why all the negative comments about the prices this year? I'm not being at all critical of someone selling a machine. I understand they have to make some money. I'm also not being critical of a consumer looking for a deal. Just curious why people felt the prices were too high.

#2 3 years ago

They charge you if you take the machine early but no fees unless you are paying for a vendor space, since you earn free admission and free play is the main draw of the show.

There were some reasonable and fair prices. Prices may have been reasonable for the other machines if they were nicer and properly functioning. Quite a few looked liked someone had purchased of CL, done nothing and threw a price four times above what they paid.

#3 3 years ago

Vendors pay for floor space not by machine sold. Free play games that were sold don't pay anything. In other words there is no cut from the sale of games to the expo.
    Simple, you don't charge retail at a swap meet/show and expect people not to complain. Many prices were pushed up to point that they were over what normally sells for. But I heard several people saying they got BLANK and BLANK at a lot less then the seller was asking. So same old same old. There were also many pins there priced pretty good. Most of them were sold Friday.

#4 3 years ago
    Quoted from arcademojo:

Vendors pay for floor space not by machine sold. Free play games that were sold don't pay anything. In other words there is no cut from the sale of games to the expo.
    Simple, you don't charge retail at a swap meet/show and expect people not to complain. Many prices were pushed up to point that they were over what normally sells for. But I heard several people saying they got BLANK and BLANK at a lot less then the seller was asking. So same old same old. There were also many pins there priced pretty good. Most of them were sold Friday.

Is a show like this the best place to buy a pinball table?

#5 3 years ago

For variety, yes as well as to try out titles you may think you want. There were some machines I'd never seen or heard available for sale as well as a lot of A and b-list titles. A lot of machines and deals get worked out before the doors open to the public too.

#6 3 years ago
    Quoted from Dooskie:

The Allentown show was always the best place to buy at up until this year. The best place seems to be here on the pre-sale this year.

#7 3 years ago
    Quoted from arcademojo:

The Allentown show was always the best place to buy at up until this year. The best place seems to be here on the pre-sale this year.

Why do you think there has been a shift?

#8 3 years ago
    Quoted from Dooskie:

Why do you think there has been a shift?

Don't know, guess everyone wants their piece of the pie. Or prices are just going up and up and up.

#9 3 years ago

Prices at the show were about normal. Any 'deals' were gobbled up Thursday. There was a complaint about a guy coming in and buying 5-6 machines that were intended for free play..Thursday night and removing them

There also quite a few people (myself included) that put retail type prices on the games. Mostly because they aren't for sale. But if you label them as 'not for sale' you still get bombarded with 'how much' questions.

#10 3 years ago
    Quoted from arcademojo:

I noticed the same thing with a couple of other shows this year. A lot of sales on pinside in the "What are you bringing? " threads. For myself, I would rather see a machine in person but I don't hold it against anyone for making a deal on here. It definitely makes it worth bringing the game to a show if you know for sure you have it sold.

#11 3 years ago

Keep in mind that some sellers usually inflate the price slightly for haggle room.

However, I did notice that several prices were nearly double what they usually are on the open market.

#12 3 years ago

3k for that pistol poker was nuckin futz. That was a 1700 game at best and I had to text for a price cause the owner did not list a price. There was a true a huo one two isles over that was night and day.

#13 3 years ago

Pretty simple explanation here - the prices did not match condition.

Many games were beat, unshopped, and in need of flipper rebuilds, but the price? Top dollar. I think negotiations are always expected at pinball shows, but some of the prices were so high that even offering HALF some of the asking prices would still have been a horrible deal for the buyer. I wish the prices were at least in the realm of having a conversation. Everyone I spoke to at the show agreed with that sentiment.

That said, it was a great show as usual. Tons of games on the floor, lots more vendors this year than ever. I was very happy to see such a great turnout despite the rain on Friday. See you next year!

-BB

#14 3 years ago

I thought the most reasonably priced game was the transformers LE at $4,700.

The Jurassic Park was $3,400...wasn't even close to being mint either.

I agree with others, the prices didn't seem to match with the condition. Maybe that's why there were more games on Saturday this year, then there was last year.

Two side notes about the show. I finally got to play a Congo. Wow, what a great game. I'll definitely be picking one up in the future. Second, I got to put a lot of time on Ghostbusters. It plays great. I'm so excited for the LE I ordered. Looks like Dwight hit another home run for launch code.

Lastly, I'm a glutton for punishment. I decided to drive up for Friday (left work 2 hours early). What should've been 1 hour 20 minutes drive, ended up taking me 3 hours.

#15 3 years ago

I went to my first Pinfest just for EMs. Prices where double what they were worth and alot of them didn't have enough flipper to even play the game. I thought even the vendors prices were high. Not all ,there was a couple reasonable priced games but not many. Some games you cut the price in half and it still wouldn't be a great deal. I think a lot of EMs were put up to get in Thursday night they put a crazy price on it and if they get it they are happy if not they got in for free and Thursday night. If you are asking a crazy price at least have it working right

#16 3 years ago
    Quoted from shlockdoc:

3k for that pistol poker was nuckin futz.

LOL

I thought I was the only one that said that.

#17 3 years ago
    Quoted from Spider3582:

I went to my first Pinfest just for EMs. Prices where double what they were worth and alot of them didn't have enough flipper to even play the game. I thought even the vendors prices were high. Not all ,there was a couple reasonable priced games but not many. Some games you cut the price in half and it still wouldn't be a great deal. I think a lot of EMs were put up to get in Thursday night they put a crazy price on it and if they get it they are happy if not they got in for free and Thursday night. If you are asking a crazy price at least have it working right

Completely agree on the price statement. I also mentioned about the games being to flat because of weak flippers. But we do have to keep in mind that games are affected from loss of power at the shows. They can play great at home but play weak at the shows.

#18 3 years ago

I'm no longer going to bring games to the shows. Not worth my time to break them down, drag them out of the basement, load them on the truck, transport them, unload the truck and set them up again only to do it all over again on the return trip. I'll just pay the $17 and drive my car so I can come on pinside and bitch about how shitty the games played.

#19 3 years ago
    Quoted from Pinwizkid:

Pretty simple explanation here - the prices did not match condition.
    Many games were beat, unshopped, and in need of flipper rebuilds, but the price? Top dollar. I think negotiations are always expected at pinball shows, but some of the prices were so high that even offering HALF some of the asking prices would still have been a horrible deal for the buyer. I wish the prices were at least in the realm of having a conversation. Everyone I spoke to at the show agreed with that sentiment.
    -BB

That is certainly true. I talked with several owners throughout the show, and more than one said they had just purchased the machine a few days or go or earlier that day and just decided to stick it on the free play floor

So yes, there were several routed and unshopped games on the floor--some fresh off route.

However, there were also many games that were fully shopped, refurbished and/or restored, which played very well, which were a treat to play.

Quoted from yfz450:

I'm no longer going to bring games to the shows. Not worth my time to break them down, drag them out of the basement, load them on the truck, transport them, unload the truck and set them up again only to do it all over again on the return trip. I'll just pay the $17 and drive my car so I can come on pinside and bitch about how shitty the games played.

Sorry you feel that way. It's always easier to offer criticisms than praise (and I am sometimes guilty of that too, sorry to say). However, please don't let that deter you from bringing games that have been properly gone through and shopped. I assure you, the presence of games that are properly dialed in is much appreciated.

#20 3 years ago

With that said I spent almost 1000 dollars at the show .Money to get in, bought a backglass, and I did buy a game that was priced at 800 I bought it for 575. The game needs some work but at least it played good enough to have a idea what I'm buying.I drove 200 miles round trip. Maybe my problem was I only went there to buy a EM game . I know nothing about the SS side. Most of the EM games ( not all) but most didn't even play good enough to even try to get the price cut in half. So if you want to bring games ask a crazy price have the flippers not get the ball up the field then leave your game at home. I spent money there so I can have my opinion you brought a game there and I respect yours to.One question how many EM games where bought and sold Thursday night because somebody got to get in before the general public because they put a crazy priced non working EM in the free play

#21 3 years ago

There was alot of great EM games to play . I'm sorry to pinside. People work hard for the show . I just showed up . I was just taken by surprise at the prices. I enjoyed the games that worked. Again I blew off steam and sorry to all those who worked way harder than me

#22 3 years ago

Prices have been going up for a while, but keep in mind that a lot of that has to do with Stern, JJP and Spooky, new machines at 7-9K+ make a 1000 LW3 seem like the deal of a life time, then what happens is people start checking out more "lower" tear games, and see they are pretty good at 2500-3000, Less available, prices go up... supply and demand, plus most of the operators have been cleaned out at this point by the flippers.. You do see a lot more of the Higher end titles available than ever before, I cannot believe how many Indiana Jones, Addams and TZ have been popping up for sale, but to fund an 8700 LE Ghostbusters, now they are letting these "keepers" go..

Even CL is dry as a bone, there is NOTHING on there in this area, anyone notice the huge spike in pinball 2K games listed for sale now?

The shows beyond the flea market were always generally up there in price for machines, I went this year knowing full well, it was not to buy a game, but to get some parts, and maybe a few bargain boards, I left with a WB Glass, a translite glass, a couple of plunger tip rubbers, a 2012 price guide, a trim set for the glass, and 5 LED bulbs.. I was somewhat disapointed in the parts, no Marco, Pinball resource, etc.. and lack of tools as well. I saw much more of the "bling" items than ever before, toppers, LED's Speakers, Virtual Pins, I guess that market must be doing well, as those places were crowded! I did LOVE the toppers, I just did not have a single game that was on display, or one of them would have come home with me..

Time to accept the bargains are few and far between, Rockland pinball has some decent deals from time to time, but some of those prices you just looked at and said what the **ck! I guess if you get that one person, who wants that one game, and has the cash, you might sell it, but some titles are just not worth what they are now selling for VS game play, Johnny M is now 2600 and up, Shadows 3K plus, Congo's are pushing 4K.. even the LW3/LAH 1000-1200 days seem to be gone, and the 1400 JD and DM days also seem to be over. Glad I got what I have when I got them, just need to find a decent priced SP, and room is maxed out, last summer 1700-1800 got one, now cannot find one under 2400, and they are roached.

Huge props to the people who bring their games for people to enjoy and play, not looking to sell them, that is a lot of work for a 17.00 ticket.

#23 3 years ago

I can say this, I saw several great games with great prices. Most of them were in the vendor areas. Paul had some great deals on quality pins. I bring at least one machine every year. This year, I brought a high demand machine to share. But I didn't want to sell it. Mine was up and reliable the whole weekend. The thing that bothered me most is the fact that Friday there was a great selection of games to play. Saturday, free play games were sold and broken down early to go home. I felt horrible for the people that show up for Saturday only. This happened last year too. I think that there should be a rule that if its for sale in freeplay that it has to stay until 5pm on Saturday. Or if you bring two only one can go. I had fun, met some new people. Played some cool games. See ya next year.

image_(resized).jpeg

image_(resized).jpeg

#24 3 years ago

I brought two games, one was an EM, Target Pool. It wasn't for sale until I saw that North Star. I wanted the North Star but was priced out of my range and he wouldn't take a trade, so I priced mine accordingly. His North Star sold, so I pulled my for sale card. I noticed that my flippers were a bit weaker than they were at home. My fault for not putting it on High Tap, but still played fine as I was still able to make it to the upper playfield, so I left it that way. It's a major pita to work on the game during the show. I still had to as my 10's reel was acting up on Saturday.

It just gets old hearing the complaints from people that never bring games. Rant over!

#25 3 years ago
    Quoted from yfz450:

It just gets old hearing the complaints from people that never bring games. Rant over!

Don't listen to 'em. They're toolbags. I don't bring games, so I appreciate ANY game that's there on free play. My philosophy is, if I'm not happy with the way a game is set up, why don't I just buy my own damn game and set it up the way I want it to play?

Keeps me happy all the time.

#26 3 years ago

There were some good playing games this year. At least all that I played were level unlike past years. I thought some were overpriced but a lot of them sold so what do I really know. I saw a lot of EMs being played so that is great.

#27 3 years ago
    Quoted from Trekkie1978:

I agree with others, the prices didn't seem to match with the condition. Maybe that's why there were more games on Saturday this year, then there was last year.
    Two side notes about the show. I finally got to play a Congo. Wow, what a great game. I'll definitely be picking one up in the future. Second, I got to put a lot of time on Ghostbusters. It plays great. I'm so excited for the LE I ordered. Looks like Dwight hit another home run for launch code.
    Lastly, I'm a glutton for punishment. I decided to drive up for Friday (left work 2 hours early). What should've been 1 hour 20 minutes drive, ended up taking me 3 hours.

I owned the Jurassic Park. I purposely put the price out of reach so it would not sell. My plan worked lol.

#28 3 years ago
    Quoted from yfz450:

I brought two games, one was an EM, Target Pool. It wasn't for sale until I saw that North Star. I wanted the North Star but was priced out of my range and he wouldn't take a trade, so I priced mine accordingly. His North Star sold, so I pulled my for sale card. I noticed that my flippers were a bit weaker than they were at home. My fault for not putting it on High Tap, but still played fine as I was still able to make it to the upper playfield, so I left it that way. It's a major pita to work on the game during the show. I still had to as my 10's reel was acting up on Saturday.

Not sure which Target pool I played but thought it played pretty good. Thanks for bringing it.

#29 3 years ago
    Quoted from dannunz:

I owned the Jurassic Park. I purposely put the price out of reach so it would not sell. My plan worked lol.

That game was set up like shit.

#30 3 years ago

At the SFGE there were some good prices and some not realistic prices.
    Some guys I know put ....if they pay it I will sell it ....Show Prices on the machines. They knew full well they would not sell.
    I wonder how many overpriced games really were not for sale just priced if people really wanted them.

#31 3 years ago

I remember the Target Pool it was one of the nicer Ems there. Again I apologize I was just taken back by the prices of alot of EM games. I know talk is cheap but next year my plans are to bring a game that works and mostly to get a deal Thursday night

#32 3 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

That game was set up like shit.

I spent 10 hours shopping that game and 10hr on WWFRR. All new rubbers....clean and wax...full leds. Why did I do it. For all of you to enjoy that's why! That's what it's all about. The feeling you get watching people enjoy the game. I did that for a few hours great feeling.

#34 3 years ago
    Quoted from dannunz:

I spent 10 hours shopping that game and 10hr on WWFRR. All new rubbers....clean and wax...full leds. Why did I do it. For all of you to enjoy that's why! That's what it's all about. The feeling you get watching people enjoy the game. I did that for a few hours great feeling.

Hey, man...don't react like you didn't know I was joking. Makes me look like a dick, and I don't need any help with that.

Pintastic New England, everybody! Great show!!!

#35 3 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

Hey, man...don't react like you didn't know I was joking. Makes me look like a dick, and I don't need any help with that.

I know you deserve a good kick in the nuts every once and a while lol

#36 3 years ago

I know the owner of a game put NFS on it & kept getting texts & calls on it until he put 5G on it and that fixed the problem...lol

#37 3 years ago
    Quoted from Dooskie:

In the past it was a great place to buy games.

Now, I'd say that's only true if you are interested in an Electromechanical, or maybe Flash since there are always 5 of them. You can play games, compare them, and you have plenty of options from all the manufacturers.

For anything else, the pickings are incredibly slim. Anything that isn't overpriced is (I assume) snapped up quick, the only cheaper stuff are total projects, and there just isn't a lot to choose from at any price.

This isn't a problem for me, as that's not why I'm going to shows. But somebody showing up and expecting to find a DMD game is probably not going to have any luck - By Friday afternoon there was very little to choose from. In the past, there was tons of stuff like that, even in the flea market. Probably hasn't been that way in a while.

As far as prices...people are always bitching about prices so why would this be any different? I wouldn't let it color your opinion any.

#38 3 years ago
    Quoted from yfz450:

LOL

Most of the games I played including the ones I brought played fine. I'd suspect a lot of DMD freaks are playing EMs and complaining about weak flippers and slow games.

EM games have weaker flippers and are slower.

#39 3 years ago
    Quoted from Trekkie1978:

. . .

There was a clean looking routed Stern Mustang Pro for $3500. That was a good deal.

#40 3 years ago
    Quoted from MisfitTech:

I can say this, I saw several great games with great prices. Most of them were in the vendor areas. Paul had some great deals on quality pins. I bring at least one machine every year. This year, I brought a high demand machine to share. But I didn't want to sell it. Mine was up and reliable the whole weekend. The thing that bothered me most is the fact that Friday there was a great selection of games to play. Saturday, free play games were sold and broken down early to go home. I felt horrible for the people that show up for Saturday only. This happened last year too. I think that there should be a rule that if its for sale in freeplay that it has to stay until 5pm on Saturday. Or if you bring two only one can go. I had fun, met some new people. Played some cool games. See ya next year.

The Hulk game played great! I had fun playing it a couple times.

I don't think I care for the "bonus rules" of the new board set.

#41 3 years ago
    Quoted from Butch2099:

I know the owner of a game put NFS on it & kept getting texts & calls on it until he put 5G on it and that fixed the problem...lol

The TX on the floor was marked "not for sale" with a price of $10,000. I talked to one of the guys setting up the games in that row, and he was saying that if someone offered him crazy money for the game, he would consider selling, but otherwise, it was a keeper.

I forget which game it was, but I saw another tag marked as "not for sale" and a number followed by something like "my cannot refuse price".

So yes, there were a handful of games that were intentionally marked with high prices because they were just at the show to share with the pin community.

However, some of the games that were obviously for sale did have some high prices on them.

#42 3 years ago
    Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Congo is a awesome pin and I heard many people say the same after playing it ........thing is if you liked the congo at the show you sld play a nice one especially one like mine with new everything and dialed in . I actually had to quit playing the ones at show bc they played so bad compared to mine lol. Still awesome that they were there and people got to try it out and see how awesome it is , maybe next year I can fit mine in the car

#43 3 years ago
    Quoted from Jasontaps:

There was a clean looking routed Stern Mustang Pro for $3500. That was a good deal.

Was gone before I got there.

#44 3 years ago

These prices are not going to stay high "forever." I find the Millennials and younger are just not into pinball. There will be a time when we all are dieing-off and no one will want the glut of machines on the market. Ive seen this happen with train-sets and stamp collecting...

#45 3 years ago

I have been going to pinfest for years and frankly, other than inflation, there is no difference IMO of the amount or quality of the games from year to year. Friday is always maxed out and Saturday thins out. Christ, I remember when there was a Sunday...it was a waste land.

There are always going to be games that need attention, always going to be some overpriced, always going to be some in great shape. The only thing I noticed this year was more vendors (awesome!) and more arcades (some of which were garbage). On Friday, there was plenty of games that were priced in a range where I am sure a solid offer would have sold the game. Many B/W DMDs under 2500 bucks.

The pre-sale thing has been going on for years too. Every year there is a spreadsheet with information on who is bringing what. Nothing new.

As for Thursday pre-buys with people taking the games out Thursday night, that sucks. I think that should be stopped. I also like the idea of a VIP Thursday night entry. Less people, better opportunity for the choice game. However, the flip side of that is if I were a seller, I wouldnt drop my price much Thursday night with 1 or 2 more days to sell.

All and all its a great show and it gets better every year.

#46 3 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

That is correct - you are a dick

#47 3 years ago
    Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Was gone before I got there.

Awesome...another show and I STILL didn't get to meet you.

#48 3 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

Awesome...another show and I STILL didn't get to meet you.

I fly under the radar.

I figured if I advertised myself as the one and only great powerful Trekkie, that I'd have people walking up to either tell me how funny or brilliant I am...and I just want to play pinball.

#49 3 years ago
    Quoted from Animal:

These prices are not going to stay high "forever." I find the Millennials and younger are just not into pinball. There will be a time when we all are dieing-off and no one will want the glut of machines on the market. Ive seen this happen with train-sets and stamp collecting...

This has been said by wise sages ever since I entered the hobby 15 years ago. Yet here we are.

#50 3 years ago
    Quoted from Animal:

I think prices are up because there are more people into pinball than in recent years. To hear some of the tourney guys and showrunners tell it, attendance is up across the board. I don't know how much higher prices will go for old player's games but I bet we're gonna find out.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 175.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 45.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    LightAndTimeArt
    $ 10.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Docquest Pinball Mods
    $ 57.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinBoss Mods
    $ 35.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 259.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Tilttopper
    $ 8,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Nitro Pinball Shop
    $ 7,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Nitro Pinball Shop
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 49.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 29.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 5.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Chrome Candy
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 32.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    There are 103 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside