Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 167 posts
  • 80 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by TigerLaw
  • Topic is favorited by 9 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0172.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider too-many-pins.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

#23 7 years ago

I know Ivan & his crew are really getting discouraged with machines being pulled out early. They know this is what kills a show and have been trying very had to keep growing the show - not kill the show. But I also understand the frustration of both buyers & sellers in the freeplay area.

What kind of bugged me this year was the indoor flea market. Somehow the Fairground booked that side of the hall to another vendor until 5 PM Thursday. So indoor flea market vendors couldn't set up till after 5 PM. Ivan & the crew knew about this ahead of time but no one contacted any of us to let us know. I arrived at the show at 11:45 AM thinking I would grab lunch and start setting up instead we had to sit and wait almost 6 hours before we could start setting up? I talked to some people who got their as early as 9 AM Thursday and were waiting all day to be able to set up. Kind of sad no one took the time to let us indoor sellers know!

Worse yet was I know that cost me at least $1500 to $2000 in sales. Set up day is my 2nd busiest day. Typically I sell about 25% of what I bring Thursday, 50% on Friday, and 10% on Saturday. Anyone that does shows knows set up day is a great selling day so this year we basically lost one day of a 3 day show. Ivan got a refund from the fairgrounds because of the mix up but never offered indoor flea market vendors anything? If I was running the show I would have at lest walked around personally and told each vendor I was sorry for the mix up and hand them $20 to go buy lunch or something.

Overall Allentown is still one of the best shows in the country and it is close to home for me but things could be done better for sure. One change I would make is the hours. If I was running the show I would have "early buyers" Thursday 5 PM till 9 PM letting anyone willing to pay to get in a chance to shop Thursday after 5 PM. Then I would add an hour to Friday starting the show at 11 AM instead of noon. And lastly I would close the show at 5 or 6 PM Sunday letting people start pulling machines at 4 PM instead of 6 PM. Everyone has had enough by 4 PM and most of us just want to get loaded and be on the way home.

Overall Ivan & his crew do a great job but with a few tweaks Allentown could be a MUCH better show.

#87 7 years ago
    Quoted from Ivan1496:

Come on Skip, really!!!!! Am I really suppose to believe that you couldn’t sell items after 5pm that you would have otherwise if you got in at 12 noon. For the record, most all knew about the late entry. You’re the only one I’m aware of that had a problem with it. Sorry you weren’t notified. It’s a setup day so I didn’t think it was that big of a deal. And why the comments about discounted space and suggested rebates.
    For the record, the cost of the Annex section actually exceeds the revenue it generates. We packed as many as we could in there this year so everybody could be successful despite the weather. You could have all been out in the rain. Instead of complaining a simple thanks would do. It was a really shitty weekend

Ivan,

If you check back on this post I just want to clarify things. First off I try my best to work with everyone and since we were way up in the back of the building I wanted to get their as early as possible so I could get in and out quickly before others started setting up. So I got up around 6 AM to finish loading then drove over two hours just to sit and wait 5 hours to get into the show. I know it wasn't your fault and I really wasn't all that upset by it. I know you are very busy the weeks before the show and I know everything doesn't always go as planned. But bottom line is it was frustrating to not be able to get in and set up early - especially when set up was suppose to be at 1 PM and we couldn't get in till after 5 PM.

I always make a second trip for Friday with more stuff and with the delay in getting set up it made that second trip tough. I got home after midnight and loaded till about 2 AM. Then had to be back on the road by about 7 AM to get things ready for Friday.

My point with my post here is everyone keeps crying about the $25 to get a machine out early when that is clearly in your agreement and paperwork for everyone to read & understand before bringing a machine is nothing to cry about compared to being delayed over 5 hours when setting up.

Again - I know it wasn't your fault but I just wish you would have walked around and said something to the 8 or 10 of us in the back of that building over the weekend. Maybe you did talk to some of the other guys but I didn't get a chance to talk to you all weekend.

As far as "lost sales" - I have 8 guys that were suppose to stop by and see me about 10 different machines Thursday afternoon before they set up (or what ever) and only two actually found me since I had most scheduled for earlier in the day. Not seeing those guys Thursday limited what I could bring back Friday because I didn't want to have more machines once show was over than I could get into the van & trailer coming home Saturday and you never know what will sell for sure. So I know that 5 hours cost me a bunch of sales but such is life.

Thanks for doing an overall great job with the show! I know it isn't an easy task and I also know dealing with 100's of people with different ideas how you should do things can be tough. Please consider "early buyers" Thursday evening (maybe 5 PM to 9 PM with $25 entrance fee) - that would be more gate money and might help sales some for vendors. Also maybe a $50 three day pass idea?

Also please consider 6 PM closing Saturday with people being able to start pulling out by 4 PM. I hate to suggest shorter hours but it might help with guys that have a long drive home.

With everything that I have said and everyone else has said I want to thank you again for putting on a GREAT show and growing the show as much as you have since you took it over. It is hard to believe 8 years ago the flea market side was the entire show! GREAT JOB OVERALL!

Thanks,
    Skip

PS - And you have a great crew of guys working with you. Dealing with the general public is no fun so I don't blame any of them for getting a little frustrated at times. GREAT JOB EVERYONE! Life isn't perfect and we all need to accept that and consider all sides of the story. I know I would want to be in any of your boots!

#90 7 years ago
    Quoted from too-many-pins:

Ivan,
    I know I would want to be in any of your boots!

Should say WOULD NOT want to be in any of your boots! Need to proof read before posting!

#99 7 years ago
    Quoted from Ivan1496:

Thanks Skip, to too many snafus this year. We'll do better next year I hope. The early bird thing can't happen. I have enough problems. Thursday is for setup so we assist the vendors and those that need help with free play. Oh, sure we could make a killing with early entry. That's not my goal. I already have too many just hanging out and getting in the way.

Ivan,

Shit happens! I know you had a tough year this year just by seeing you a couple times and not even having a chance to talk to you. You looked like you had enough before the show even started! I just sent you a PM but I also want to thank you again here for making Allentown one of the fastest growing shows in the country.

As far as "pulling machines early" - if you guys want to kill a great show keep doing that. There is nothing that will kill a show faster than having people drive to a show to see it half empty. Ending the show earlier might help but pulling machines before the show is over isn't a good idea.

I understand the long drive thing & also 3 long days but will an hour or two really make that much difference in the long run. Let the machines stay - grab dinner - then load at the proper time and drive home!

#101 7 years ago
    Quoted from John_I:

I can't stand when people start breaking down and taking games early from a show. It's not safe in a crowd of people and it's a buzz kill while the show is still going on. I brings free play games to almost every show I go to and I stay until it ends no matter how tired I am. That is the rule and the rule is the rule for a reason. If someone was to want to buy a game of mine, they need to leave it at the show until the very end or don't buy it.

Well Said!

People need to understand ---- GREAT SHOW needs games to stay. Otherwise it is just a free for all that will be gone in a few years. Ivan has things right and his guys are just doing their job. Try stepping into their shoes and dealing with all the BS and see if you are wearing a happy face at the end of the day!

#158 7 years ago
    Quoted from pin64:

I rarely post but here's my two cents. Great show. I'd like to thank Ivan for running and expanding Pinfest and I can't wait for next year.
    About me: I bring 10+ games from my own collection (TX Sector, Cosmic Gunfight, Earthshaker, etc) each year. My games are rarely for sale but I bring them because I like seeing people enjoy games which would otherwise sit in my basement getting very few plays. I also know the event rules. If I do sell the buyer can discuss paying the leave early fee with Ivan's people so but I strongly discourage it. If I buy a game it goes on freeplay for the remainder of the event. I should also point out that I'm always one of the last people to shut off/break down games at the end of the event. People paid money to play, I agreed to bring games for them to play, I stay until closing. Each show costs me about 100hrs of my time to prep/repair/load and at least several hundred dollars in gas, tolls, parts, etc., not to mention the truck and trailer to get it there, so I believe I've earned the right to speak up here.
    About this thread - Ivan's people: They are just that... people. They have good days and bad days. They get stressed when dealing with others who may be d-bags or who may be stressed themselves for any number of reasons. Does this excuse less than optimal behavior from either party? No, but how about a little understanding and forgiveness? I myself received a less than cordial phone call about a machine which had broken down but as soon as I mentioned that I was still working on the repair the 'issue' was resolved. The person on the phone, and I know who it was, could have had better communication skills (I believe this contributed to complaints by others) but it really wasn't anything to make a big stink about.
    About this thread - Event rules: The rules are posted. The rules exist for many reasons. The rules are probably intentionally simple but some people abuse them, or have unrealistic expectations, forcing Ivan to consider taking draconian counter measures. There will ALWAYS be exceptions no matter what the rules are and that's why we have adult conversations. For the most part though I don't care what show you go to or what the rules are, they're posted in advance and you agree to them when you sign up to bring a game and should be explained to the buyer when making a sale. If something's not clear to you then ask questions up front. Open a dialog with event management if you feel an exception to a rule is needed but you shouldn't feel slighted if they don't agree. If you can't comply with any of the rules then consider being a normal patron and leave your game home next year.
    About this thread - Games leaving early: I find it EXTREMELY aggravating that a machine, which could sit on the floor all weekend with no ill effects, gets turned off once purchased by certain people. What's so magical about you now owning the machine that you can't let others enjoy it for a few more hours? I'm talking about games which I've seen go into the parking lot and sit there on a trailer for the rest of the weekend, or simply left in place turned off. Hey, selfish person, how about throwing a bit of support back into the show since that's how we have a show in the first place! It's an expensive/rare game you say? Then perhaps it shouldn't have been brought in for freeplay in the first place. But it was, so leave it. Might something happen? Sure. I take that risk x10 each year but nothing significant has ever happened. Moving the game is riskier than leaving it in place being played for a few more hours. You still don't like the leave early rule but still want to bring games for sale? Simple, buy a vendor spot.
    About this thread - Expectations: Perhaps everyone chiming in on this thread should first consider what it takes to run a show, deal with all types of people, understand that there are always exceptions and unanticipated issues, and take a big breath before slamming anyone in a public forum (ha!). Send your comments and suggestions to Ivan privately, do all you can do to help the show be a success, and maybe consider that your view of what the show is supposed to be or should be might not be the same as others. Hot heads = bad decisions. Let it all soak in, put your thoughts and perspective into an email, discuss it in a month or two. Beers cold.
    The bottom line? It's Ivan's show, I thinks he's doing the best that he can, I'm grateful for his teams efforts, he's always trying to improve the show, I try to do my part for the sake of the hobby. We are extremely fortunate to have two quality pinball shows in this area and I look forward to bringing games to each of them for as long as I can.
    One last comment - I thought many more games were level / balanced this year than previous years. Thanks to everyone who brought games and took the time to set them up properly!
    Thanks for playing!
    Steve

Well Said! Like I said in an earlier post - "I wouldn't want to be in Ivan's shoes". THANKS FOR ANOTHER GREAT SHOW!

If you don't like the rules don't bring a machine to the show. It is really that simple. But if Ivan & his crew were not doing something right the size of the show would not have doubled in the past 5 or 6 years. I miss shopping the big outdoor flea market but as an indoor flea market vendor I must say if it was still outside only I would not be setting up. I hate seeing machines out in the weather when it isn't necessary!

THANKS AGAIN to Ivan and all his guys for doing a great job overall!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider too-many-pins.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/allentown-harassment-never-again?tu=too-many-pins and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.