(Topic ID: 49637)

Allentown First Timer - 7 Lucky Lessons Learned...

By Nemesis

10 years ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by PennSkier
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0876.JPG
    IMG_0092.JPG
    IMG_0087.JPG
    #1 10 years ago

1. Take off from work to be there the first day!!! Getting in time on all the games you've never played is extremely time consuming. Also, apparently a lot of deals get made that day and a whole bunch of titles that were there I didn't even get to see when I came at 12pm on Saturday. I thought America WORKED... I was missed by my patriotic bravado to go only Saturday, never again.

Games that I really wanted to play but missed out on: Taxi, Jurassic Park, World Poker Tour, Tales from the Crypt, Starship Troopers.

Lorenzo's AC/DC LE BIB is the best pinball game I have ever played. Nothing touches AC/DC Prem/LE. What a fantastic game, and his sound mod is a STEAL at their ask price - BUY ONE!

2. Do not eat the venue food. Over priced school cafeteria crapola. SORRY. Get food from the farmers market or the Ritz BBQ Diner (AWESOME CHILLI CHEESE FRIES, caramelized onions mmm, and the sundaes were good too!)

3. Dont forget to check out the outdoor pin flea market CookyJar was telling me of all the goodies I missed outside but I just didnt have enough time.

4. On more than one occasion creepers (not TOO many weirdos but a hand full) were eye'n up my fiance, hands off fellas she's taken. But I was flattered I guess LOL.

5. Bring a big name tag for the klovers/pinsiders to know who you are.

6. Don't bother registering, there was no express to get in or discount (weird, it says otherwise on the website DERP)

7. There are no signs in A-town advertising where its at on the road, derp - gotta find the place nestled in the back of the farmers market yourself!

SEE YAZ NEXT YEAR! \m/

Here are some pics: She loved South Park, I loved Royal Rumble. Chris's Diner was cool as well.

IMG_0087.JPGIMG_0087.JPG IMG_0092.JPGIMG_0092.JPG IMG_0876.JPGIMG_0876.JPG

#2 10 years ago

Oh forgot to mention I got in a game on WoZ, its good - real good. Too bad I will NEVER pay the prices Gary and Jack are asking for Pinball. I ain't there yet - maybe if I hit the lotto. Poor business model imho - lazy to boot. Build more, charge less, get more visibility and staying power... work and earn your keep. I wish JJP was different in that aspect instead of a Stern clone. zzZZZzzz

#3 10 years ago

Stargate was a big hit at the show. Looks like I need to hurry up my restoration and put it on the market Coils seemed weak on the one at the show, prior to tear down mine were smokin. The pf was minty fresh on the one at the show though, no swirls in the mylar and no damage on the non mylard areas like the outrails and center drain.

#4 10 years ago

It was a big hit, but he had zero offers before I bought it at 7PM Saturday. I could understand if he didnt want to sell it cheap, but to not get a single offer on that great example is baffling. Glad I stepped up and made a great deal!

#5 10 years ago

I looked at the SG when he was setting it up-very clean pin and in really nice shape
    Enjoy it! fun pin

#6 10 years ago
    Quoted from Nemesis:

1. Take off from work to be there the first day!!! Getting in time on all the games you've never played is extremely time consuming. Also, apparently a lot of deals get made that day and a whole bunch of titles that were there I didn't even get to see when I came at 12pm on Saturday. I thought America WORKED... I was missed by my patriotic bravado to go only Saturday, never again.
    Games that I really wanted to play but missed out on: Taxi, Jurassic Park, World Poker Tour, Tales from the Crypt, Starship Troopers.
    Lorenzo's AC/DC LE BIB is the best pinball game I have ever played. Nothing touches AC/DC Prem/LE. What a fantastic game, and his sound mod is a STEAL at their ask price - BUY ONE!
    2. Do not eat the venue food. Over priced school cafeteria crapola. SORRY. Get food from the farmers market or the Ritz BBQ Diner (AWESOME CHILLI CHEESE FRIES, caramelized onions mmm, and the sundaes were good too!)
    3. Dont forget to check out the outdoor pin flea market CookyJar was telling me of all the goodies I missed outside but I just didnt have enough time.
    4. On more than one occasion creepers (not TOO many weirdos but a hand full) were eye'n up my fiance, hands off fellas she's taken. But I was flattered I guess LOL.
    5. Bring a big name tag for the klovers/pinsiders to know who you are.
    6. Don't bother registering, there was no express to get in or discount (weird, it says otherwise on the website DERP)
    7. There are no signs in A-town advertising where its at on the road, derp - gotta find the place nestled in the back of the farmers market yourself!
    SEE YAZ NEXT YEAR! \m/
    Here are some pics: She loved South Park, I loved Royal Rumble. Chris's Diner was cool as well.

Glad you enjoyed the Diner! I remember seeing you at the show, but did nto realize it was you

Sorry! Maybe next year

Chris

#7 10 years ago

Well said! Agree on most comments. FWIW, I work M-F too but took Friday off. Glad I did as it seemed slightly less hectic than last year on Friday.

I also like the name tag idea. I'm going to get some shirts made for my modest game room (HArdcade) so I'll have that as something.

Nemesis: Did you ever get your FH you were looking for?

#8 10 years ago

Congrats to the first timers !

I had a first of my own, my first tournament. I popped my tourney cherry finally. Looking forward to doing another. The funny part of my tournament experience was that I got to play xMen for the first time as well. I was having a real awful game ( 1.3mm going into ball 3) so while playing ball 3 Frank asked everyone to take their hands off the flippers the tournament qualifying was over. So i complied with that but somehow a ball when off the sling and into Wolverine and I started multiball. Most of the othe participants were rooting for my game to score jackpots. It was comical I was about 5 feet away from the table and the balls kept shooting from the shooter lane because everytime the ball drained I had a ball save coming. We were cheering for the games to start more modes, the table started beast and then drained I scored about 2.5 mm on that ball and almost all of it when I wasnt playing. That was a first for me and just a real funny sight to see.

#9 10 years ago

Glad you had a nice time, Nemesis.

FYI - I was there both days - and Tales From The Crypt was actually there (just adjacent to where WOZ was )- it was next to The Sopranos BUT as of 11 AM Saturday morning it was not working - a ball was somehow stuck/lodged in the right side outlane. LOL

Glad to see you enjoyed SilverUnicorn's Diner - I also enjoyed a few turns on that one.

Do not feel like you missed all that much on Saturday - as many games that left the floor - almost that same number of new titles replaced them for Saturday.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/allentown-first-timer-7-lucky-lessons-learned and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.