Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 141 posts
  • 60 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Pinwiz1985
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_3207.JPG
    IMG_3206.JPG
    IMG_0829.JPG
    IMG_3213.JPG
    There are 141 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 10 years ago

10. Kudos to Ivan for putting on another great show.

9. The stinky pinheads from last year found their lost soap. Not as smelly. We all thank you.

8. Big thanks to all who brought machines.

7. Next year there should a tutorial booth on how to rebuild flippers for those who brought machines with weak flippers.

6. What's the big hype about Predator? I just don't get it.

5. Is it me or do most of the machines set on free look like they just came off a route. A little TLC goes a long way.

4. All vendors did a great job offering great deals on parts and accommodating us pinsiders.

3. Fellow pinsider, Redeyes, once again had by far the best looking machines.

2. To Jersey Jack, WOZ looks but I fell asleep while playing it.

1. Allentown is still the greatest venue. Awesome location, great people, farmers market never disappoints, nice weather and best show.

#2 10 years ago

I hope some of the vendors decide to show up for the york show. I also hope people learn to rebuild the flipper as some machines were just horrible. There was a back to the future that was set up awful. WWF upper flipper didn't even work.

Mike F brought some good games and Gerry's Iron Man was incredible. Redeyes loves to take his mint games to the show.

Was great to see flipper fidelity as well. I hope Mike decides to do the York show this year.

#3 10 years ago

1) cheesesteak pretzel wrap
    2) meat sticks
    3) I think there was pinball too....

#4 10 years ago

adding on to first post:

8 - yes, thanks for bringing them, but geez, many of them had "issues"...

7 - YES YES YES.

5 - it's not just you.

i had fun, and it was worth the 17 bucks and the drive... i won't lie though, i was somewhat disappointed... it was my first pinball show, and i was a bit underwhelmed vs. expectations...

#5 10 years ago

WOW! I was playing machines I only read about. Way above and beyond my expectations.
    1. 24
    2. stargate
    3. no good gophers
    4. batman
    5. avengers
    6. dracula
    7. funhouse
    8. t-3
    9. jurassic park
    10 big guns

crappola-gilligans island, teed off, transformers

funniest thing i saw, vendor in parking lot had old em game with sign, point to part, we'll take it off and give you a good price.

I did miss out on playing a few , WOZ, star trek next generation. medieval madness, tron.

#6 10 years ago

Anyone score any good deals at Allentown? Wish I could have made it.

#7 10 years ago

Just got home but this was my first time out to something like that. Had a great time.

Played......
    Taxi
    Rollergames
    Funhouse
    Whirlwind
    Hot Shots
    Eight Ball Deluxe
    Bad ass TZ
    Guns n' Roses
    Avengers Hulk LE
    MM
    Pinbot

Probably forgetting a few but it was a great experience. Some machines were impeccable and some were in need of love. If I had less bills I might have walked out with a machine. Can't believe I didn't give that Alien Poker a whirl

#8 10 years ago

Can't believe no one mentioned the ac dc Le, that machine was incredible

#9 10 years ago

I liked the pachinko guys, giving excellent discounts! Also the Mame guys and virtual pinball machines were real nice. Thanks for all the great deals on parts, I know I spent a ton on cointaker leds and side mirrors.

#10 10 years ago

Shopping was the best! Picked up a ramp, mirror blades, a power board, LED's, sub-woofer, pinballs, manual, and much more! Lots of good deals. We had to stop ourselves from going back today.........think we may make it a two day event for ourselves next year. It was really great to meet some of the great pinsiders (and their wives) yesterday. As here on pinside, I found myself talking a lot about pinball instead of playing it!! But still got a chance to play machines I have only heard about.

#11 10 years ago

I met some awesome people from pinside....bought cool new ramps and leds for some games, and drank a ton of beer. Great weekend, great people. Life is good

#12 10 years ago

I bought a bunch of parts and a few tools and then came the big surprise: the totally, beautifully restored High Speed. If you took a good long look at it, you know what I am talking about. I feel incredibly lucky to have had the chance to buy a classic machine in such tremendous shape. Many, many thanks to Jim for all the time and, especially, the talent he poured into this project. I have some nice pins, but this is the one I am truly delighted to own. One of a kind.

#13 10 years ago

I agree with your top ten list one exception I did not play WOZ not waiting in line to play a pin. but what I saw of it sure looks perdy. weak and broken flippers theme of the day Fri. and most games were slow. I mean ball slow. this made it hard to get a feel for the games. and at the asking prices would it be asking too much if the games were tuned up before bringing them to the show? not restored just in good working order. then one may get their asking price and people can enjoy the pin and not be disapointed in it. this would help the hobby not turn people from it.I played one earth shaker it was awesome and another played like a DUD! I own a LW3 and I played three different ones at the show and I think my pins is on steroids or something or the three are imposters pretending to be LW3's. one did have a red topper. supper nice AFM played like a GEM. disappointed in both of the JM I expected so much more from JM. and to the DUDE who Took home the DUDE I enjoyed talking with you good luck with the DR. DUDE. all in all I did have a great time. Thanks to all who made the show happen you too IVAN even if T3's eye turned green.LOL

#14 10 years ago

I mentioned thus somewhere else but had to add that some machines started out well and fine but just took such a beating. I had the totan. Yesterday morning it was up, cleaned, and working 100%. Game took some plays for sure. More plays in 2 days then it's had in a decade. But people were disrespecting the machines. I saw my machine shaken, shoved, kicked, smacked. And the big daddy picking the machine up by its front legs and slamming it down.
    So just bear in mind that you may see a machine that's in need of love but you don't know what issues the game had before the show.

#15 10 years ago

Asking opinion on someone who went both days: Was Friday a lot better than Saturday this year? It seemed a little tired this year, compared to last years show...

#16 10 years ago
    Quoted from NJGecko:

people were disrespecting the machines.

Very sorry to hear that. I must say that I was amazed that anyone would be so generous as to bring a top-notch game that they weren't trying to sell and allow hundreds of unsupervised plays on it. For my part, I saw a little, but not much, that I would characterize as abuse.

#17 10 years ago

I feel sorry for non pinheads that are going to base there opinions on pinball by the broken down weak flipper games that were there today.

#18 10 years ago

My popeye gets stuck once in a while and I have to give it a good jolt. I was tempted once or twice when a machine got stuck at the show, but thats just plain disrespectful. You can't abuse a machine thats not yours. When playing stargate, the owner was right there and adjusted a flipper when he thought it was getting too low and about to scrape the surface. Another time the big guns owner saw one bumper stick and was on it in seconds.

#19 10 years ago

The Allentown show is very good IMO, but from the 'shows' standpoint nothing beats Expo where you can also get the Stern factory tour. If you haven't been to Chicago for Expo, you need to.

#20 10 years ago
    Quoted from Craig:

I bought a bunch of parts and a few tools and then came the big surprise: the totally, beautifully restored High Speed. If you took a good long look at it, you know what I am talking about. I feel incredibly lucky to have had the chance to buy a classic machine in such tremendous shape. Many, many thanks to Jim for all the time and, especially, the talent he poured into this project. I have some nice pins, but this is the one I am truly delighted to own. One of a kind.

The powder coating on the metal rails really made that thing pop. I could have done without the powercoat all over the outside though.

#21 10 years ago
    Quoted from NJGecko:

I mentioned thus somewhere else but had to add that some machines started out well and fine but just took such a beating. I had the totan. Yesterday morning it was up, cleaned, and working 100%. Game took some plays for sure. More plays in 2 days then it's had in a decade. But people were disrespecting the machines. I saw my machine shaken, shoved, kicked, smacked. And the big daddy picking the machine up by its front legs and slamming it down.
    So just bear in mind that you may see a machine that's in need of love but you don't know what issues the game had before the show.

I saw a lot of mis-use/abuse going on as well. At one point I asked the guy who was banging the crap out of the Swords of Fury (non-led version) if it was his machine, and he said, "No, is it yours?" I told him if it was mine, I would have shut if off right away because nobody should treat a machine like that when it is on free play. He just looked at with no response.

#22 10 years ago

KUDOS TO THE SHOW AND ITS ORGANIZERS!!!

This show was great - IMHO, it i much better than the York show. There are more vendors, more machines, and the lighting was better as well. The vendors were nice - it was great to finally meet some of the people I talk to a lot.

Played a bunch of games I had been on the fence about - specifically Swords of Fury and Jackbot. I'll be passing on Swords, Jackbot was a nice game and it played really well. There were a good deal of EM's there as well for sale.

The people who run the show have no control over the nearby food (or lack thereof), so it's hard to blame York for not being as top-notch as Allentown. I grew up in Easton, and the Allentown Fairgrounds was always a cool place to go. I think I spent more money on food today than on pinball parts.

Todd

#23 10 years ago
    Quoted from hank527:

I hope some of the vendors decide to show up for the york show. I also hope people learn to rebuild the flipper as some machines were just horrible. There was a Back to the Future that was set up awful. WWF upper flipper didn't even work.
    Mike F brought some good games and Gerry's Iron Man was incredible. Redeyes loves to take his mint games to the show.
    Was great to see flipper fidelity as well. I hope Mike decides to do the York show this year.

I agree with you on all of this. I also noticed a bunch of the new Stern games because of where they where sitting where all leaning way left which made playing a bit of a challenge. Overall the show was great and with a few minor improvements I'm sure it will be even better next year.

#24 10 years ago

Great time , Great show, it was nice to see Alex, Ted, Jim, Russ, and many many others I met.
    I thought the games were mostly top notch. AC/DC was a blast, the tournament worked out to be okay but it could have been a little better ran. I think Frank made the right decision with letting the guys play while other guys were playing, this way we got more entries. Nice pickup for my friend SIpin with the TFTC , I am sure pinchroma will make those wire forms sparkle when you are ready. Okay I just left tilted kilt on my way to the Sands for some booze and gambling , so long for now .

Oh yeah Jersey jack and company did a great job with WOZ, the lines was non stop from 9am -8pm and I was there all day. 3 games and boy did they get played!!
    Thanks
    Mike

#25 10 years ago
    Quoted from paulmg01:

Thanks I hope you enjoyed it. We sold out of headphone kits 3 hrs before the show ended Saturday. Acdc bib le got some miles on her, but she did the job.

Thanks,
    Lorenzo
    Pinnovators.com

#26 10 years ago

Thanks for a great show Ivan! Thanks so much to the folks that provided such great pins! I played WOZ,MM,WW,TOTAN,both Avengers,TRS,ACDC w,headphones, Transformers,NGG, and probably a dozen more titles I've wanted to play for a while.

Quoted from NJGecko:

Yeah treat the game better than if it was your own. When a pin starts cycling through all of its coils looking for a ball I shut her down and call the owner to let them know. Thanks for bringing that TOTAN NJGecko! Beautiful game!

Quoted from Craig:

Congrats Craig that High Speed was Incredible! Enjoy

Nice meeting Alex and Ted right before running out this afternoon.

My favorite pinfest moment was when we were playing the Corvette by the back door and the guy right behind us dropped the head to a pin face down on the concrete. The whole crowd stopped and gasped in anticipation as he bent down to pick it up and see what happened to the back glass. Everyone applauds as he turns the head back over and the glass was intact!

#27 10 years ago
    Quoted from paulmg01:

That was incredible. The sound through the headphones just blew me away. I hadn't ever played AC/DC before. Had to sit down after playing that one. Wow!

The pinnovators.com guys running that booth were super nice. I can't imagine anyone with an AC/DC not adding their headphone setup. The first time I hit the bell it gave me chills.

#28 10 years ago

saw a bugs bunny get dropped sideways onto the ground. they were carrying it head folded down with legs on.

#29 10 years ago
    Quoted from freddy:

I agree with your top ten list one exception I did not play WOZ not waiting in line to play a pin. but what I saw of it sure looks perdy. weak and broken flippers theme of the day Fri. and most games were slow. I mean ball slow. this made it hard to get a feel for the games. and at the asking prices would it be asking too much if the games were tuned up before bringing them to the show? not restored just in good working order. then one may get their asking price and people can enjoy the pin and not be disapointed in it. this would help the hobby not turn people from it.I played one Earth Shaker it was awesome and another played like a DUD! I own a LW3 and I played three different ones at the show and I think my pins is on steroids or something or the three are imposters pretending to be LW3's. one did have a red topper. supper nice AFM played like a GEM. disappointed in both of the JM I expected so much more from JM. and to the DUDE who Took home the DUDE I enjoyed talking with you good luck with the Dr. Dude. all in all I did have a great time. Thanks to all who made the show happen you too IVAN even if T3's eye turned green.LOL

There must of been 4 LW3's cause the one next to stargate was dialed in...WOW.

#30 10 years ago
    Quoted from toddwino:

I think I spent more money on food today than on pinball parts.
    Todd

Haha Me too... And a little liquid lunch trip Allentown BrewWorks with my brother...

#31 10 years ago

Nice show. I enjoyed playing Orbiter...very cool. My friend bought a great looking Magic City. One thing that surprised me was the lack of white rubber.

#32 10 years ago

I brought a High Speed and pinbot, they sold as players pins to some nice folks.

I also brought Jackbot, which I felt played pretty well. Gave it a good once over before I brought it to the show and it really played out nice. Also bought a decent Nascar and put it next to it on Saturday. Wish I could have fixed the wire on the opto for multiball, but it was hard to get a moment on it to do anything as it always had people playing it. The few times I got a moment with it to change for some leds, it was nice to hear the positive play about Jackbot. People really seem to have a good time with it, even playing some 4 player battles at times.

Great show though, bought some late STNGG ramps set for a deal, Had a wpc cpu worked on, bought some glass, random parts, NIB Avengers PRO, and talked with some really great people all weekend.

Hello and thanks to Jim and his friend wearing a CFTBL t-shirt (sorry i forgot your name!)
    Good talks, and thanks for the brew!
    James

#33 10 years ago
    Quoted from toddwino:

The powder coating on the metal rails really made that thing pop. I could have done without the powercoat all over the outside though.

All over the outside? It was a single stage gloss black. As plain as it comes as far as powder goes

#34 10 years ago
    Quoted from Crispin:

Thanks for a great show Ivan! Thanks so much to the folks that provided such great pins! I played WOZ,MM,WW,TOTAN,both Avengers,TRS,ACDC w,headphones, Transformers,NGG, and probably a dozen more titles I've wanted to play for a while.

Yeah treat the game better than if it was your own. When a pin starts cycling through all of its coils looking for a ball I shut her down and call the owner to let them know. Thanks for bringing that TOTAN NJGecko! Beautiful game!

Congrats Craig that High Speed was Incredible! Enjoy
    Nice meeting Alex and Ted right before running out this afternoon.
    My favorite pinfest moment was when we were playing the Corvette by the back door and the guy right behind us dropped the head to a pin face down on the concrete. The whole crowd stopped and gasped in anticipation as he bent down to pick it up and see what happened to the back glass. Everyone applauds as he turns the head back over and the glass was intact!

That was a pinsider . An awesome guy too

Real nice meeting you.

#35 10 years ago
    Quoted from IntoPinball:

And a little liquid lunch trip Allentown Brew Works with my brother...

IMG_3213.JPGIMG_3213.JPG IMG_0829.JPGIMG_0829.JPG

#36 10 years ago

For me, add the diamond plated WW and Totan to the list. They were great. Also, I spent at least ten minutes with the staff from Marco trying to find a certain post. I was ready to give up, but the persevered and found it on their site. No shipping cost was a great surprise.

#37 10 years ago
    Quoted from Pinchroma:

All over the outside? It was a single stage gloss black. As plain as it comes as far as powder goes

Like I said, IMHO. Weren't the the legs done as well?

#38 10 years ago
    Quoted from bonzo71:

I enjoyed playing Orbiter...very cool.

me too... i had completely forgotten about that machine... talk about thoroughly random action...

definitely NOT one you'd wanna play after drinking a bit too much though...

#39 10 years ago
    Quoted from toddwino:

Like I said, IMHO. Weren't the the legs done as well?

I thought the rails, legs, and coin door were done in black.

Was very tasteful in my opinion. The wireform ramps looked awesome. Those colors really popped.

Chris

#40 10 years ago
    Quoted from NJGecko:

And the big daddy picking the machine up by its front legs and slamming it down.

WTF? Did you actually see someone doing this?

That should have been grounds to eject someone immediately from the show with no refund.

Totally, totally unacceptable.

I was there from 10am to 6pm Sat and I saw no abuse of any games at all.

Hopefully it was the exception.

RussMyers

#41 10 years ago
    Quoted from Pinchroma:

That High Speed was STUNNING. Incredible job.

The best one I have ever seen.

RussMyers

#42 10 years ago

It was funny, I bought new leg plates for the game and didn't get around to installing them. The old ones had one or two stripped holes, but at home I wasn't too worried. When we got there for setup, I installed them just because I figured the game would get some movement. I actually really believe that if I had the old plates still in, when the guy did that he would probably have sheared the remaining bolts and dropped the machine. And I would bet he would have walked away from it.

Nudging is fine...and seeing some really animated play was great. It's actually one of the highlights of seeing other people play a game I own. I'm a fair player. But seeing a good player make a machine sing and dance like I can only imagine really is awesome!

#43 10 years ago

Oh, gotta add my own top ten list...

1) Ted's legs spread out by Alex for the world to see!
    2) The high speed was gorgeous, and I'm really glad Jim got it working and it found a new home!
    3) Playfield glass for $25/sheet...can't ever find it easily locally
    4) Having the vendors right THERE when your machine breaks. Where else can you toast a power driver board and get a new one in ten minutes flat?
    5) Having someone walk up to you and say "Are you NJGecko?" out of the blue
    6) Buying a WoZ from Jack directly
    7) Seeing an AFM for sale in the outdoor flea market for $6500 sitting in the baking sun with no legs on the bare gravel
    8) Awesome venue...having the farmers market was great...I remember the main food source at York was the french fry cart!
    9) Less smelly people....deodorant was properly used by all!
    10) Marco's Avengers setup. First time for me playing the game, didn't enjoy it, but I did enjoy being able to watch other people play on the monitor. Could really get a good feel for what's going on and without having to crowd the machine.

#44 10 years ago
    Quoted from scottc:

saw a Bugs Bunny get dropped sideways onto the ground. they were carrying it head folded down with legs on.

Pictures or it did it happen.

#45 10 years ago

1 the tournaments
    2 meeting with old friends in the pinball hobby
    3 making new friends in the pinball hobby
    4 the gathering of pinball players , collectors , dealers , vendors
    5 the weather
    6 the farmers market pizza
    7 the marco banners
    8 the giant strikes n spares backglass
    9 getting to play some old favorites
    10 faith at the rock fantasy concert shop booth

#46 10 years ago
    Quoted from shlockdoc:

Pictures or it did it happen.

Don't you mean pictures or it didn't happen?

#47 10 years ago

Nice to meet you Alex. Great looking High Speed Jim! It sold?
    Fun show for sure. Thanks to whomever brought the Gottlieb Haunted House! I think it was my favorite pin at the show.

#48 10 years ago
    Quoted from NJGecko:

Don't you mean pictures or it didn't happen?

Yes sir just having my morning coffee. The BBQ is packed up. The outdoor market was a great hang.

#49 10 years ago

Yep, morning coffee here too before getting back to the real world of grocery shopping and planing down doors to fit after carpeting install last week.

Good to see you again by the way...amazing that we live 15 minutes apart and run into each other 2 hours away!

#50 10 years ago

1 the tournaments
    2 meeting with old friends in the pinball hobby
    3 making new friends in the pinball hobby
    4 the gathering of pinball players , collectors , dealers , vendors
    5 the weather
    6 the farmers market pizza
    7 the marco banners
    8 the giant strikes n spares backglass
    9 getting to play some old favorites
    10 faith at the rock fantasy concert shop booth

There are 141 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/allentown-2013-top-ten-list and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.