(Topic ID: 12450)

Allentown / 2012 Pinfest show worth going to?

By Melbourne

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 12 years ago

Hi,

I'm thinking about going to the 2012 Pinfest in Allentown, PA. Its a bit of a drive for me around 3 hrs or so and I've never gone to one before so I don't know what to expect.

What I'm hoping to do is buy a pinball machine there, specifically a western themed 4P EM machine in playable condition. Ideally a Big Indian but others would do like a Bow & Arrow, etc. From the other folks that have gone/done the show. How is it from the perspective of finding a machine? Am I better off watching Mr. Pinball's for the right machine or is Pinfest a good place for buying a players machine. I'm not looking for high end restores but a good working machine. Also from the buying/availability perspective which day is better to do Fri or Sat?

Thanks

#2 12 years ago

I'm going for the first time this yeah. 3 or 4 hour drive for me as well. I hear it's a good time to grab a machine. Know a few people going with cash and an empty vehicle. We are just going for Saturday. Not sure how much will be going on Friday. Saturday morning should be a good time to pick up what you are looking for

#3 12 years ago

30 min drive for me. I'm going with a full wallet and my wife (hoping to leave one of two there in exchange for an IJ, CV, or MB).

#4 12 years ago

Show is awesome. I'm going Friday / Saturday.

#5 12 years ago

Ugh. Thats a 6.5 hour drive for me. Would love to go, but if I bought a pin I'd kinda be screwed. Can't have it sitting in my truck overnight while I sleep in a hotel. Sounds like fun though

#6 12 years ago
    Quoted from Xanathar:

Ugh. Thats a 6.5 hour drive for me. Would love to go, but if I bought a pin I'd kinda be screwed. Can't have it sitting in my truck overnight while I sleep in a hotel. Sounds like fun though

Just do what we do and setup the pin in your hotel room for an afterparty! Rock on!

#7 12 years ago

I've gone to a couple, it's a good time.

#8 12 years ago

Hey you guys! Let's all meet up sometime on Saturday. And, yes, it's a fun show. Bring cash, play and carry home. Sometimes they DO make you wait till the end of the day to take your machine...

#9 12 years ago
    Quoted from cdnpinballer:

Just do what we do and setup the pin in your hotel room for an afterparty! Rock on!

Yeah. This works as long as your hotel room is on the first floor. Thing they would look at you kinda funny if you started dragging pins through the lobby

#10 12 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

Hey you guys! Let's all meet up sometime on Saturday. And, yes, it's a fun show. Bring cash, play and carry home. Sometimes they DO make you wait till the end of the day to take your machine...

Definitely should meet up. I'll get your info when it's closer to the show.

#11 12 years ago

WAS always a great show but BEST part was outside flea market...

#12 12 years ago

8 houres drive, directly from canada, so yes it worth coming. Was my first time last year, planning since to go every year!

#13 12 years ago
    Quoted from Redketchup:

8 houres drive, directly from canada, so yes it worth coming. Was my first time last year, planning since to go every year!

I noticed quite a few people from Canada last year. For a show this big, and done so well I would drive 8 hours no problem. Weather is usually good, and I make a small vacation out of it.

(my drive though is slightly under 4 hours)

#14 12 years ago

We talked about a Pinside get together in another thread. There are a couple of options but I was thinking maybe we could all meet up at the "Tilted Kilt". Its about a 5-10min drive from the fairgrounds and its right off of I-78 for anyone that has to get going afterwards. I haven't gotten to go yet, but I hear its got good food and good looking waitresses.

#15 12 years ago
    Quoted from EvilJack:

We talked about a Pinside get together in another thread. There are a couple of options but I was thinking maybe we could all meet up at the "Tilted Kilt". Its about a 5-10min drive from the fairgrounds and its right off of I-78 for anyone that has to get going afterwards. I haven't gotten to go yet, but I hear its got good food and good looking waitresses.

I'm sorry...I blanked after the good looking waitresses comment...

#16 12 years ago

Maybe let's meet at the show and then go there?....just sayin'

#18 12 years ago
    Quoted from Xanathar:

cdnpinballer said:

Yeah. This works as long as your hotel room is on the first floor. Thing they would look at you kinda funny if you started dragging pins through the lobby

As long as you don't damage the hotel room why would / should they care what you do????

#19 12 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

Hey you guys! Let's all meet up sometime on Saturday.

That's not a bad idea Ted. I'd be up for that if I have off that weekend. I probably will be seeing you at the Chiller in April.

#20 12 years ago

Just got back from lunch at the Tilted Kilt. Food is good. Scenery is much better.

#21 12 years ago

I try to make it on Friday- less lines and better photo shots
    too bad we didn't have some type of ID like a hat or even a small sticker or pin?

#22 12 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

Maybe let's meet at the show and then go there?....just sayin'

Well yeah that's what I ment. Meet at the show and then get together at Tilted Kilt afterwards. Any particular night that is preferable?

#23 12 years ago

I'd say Saturday night would be better. I have a feeling more people go for just one day on saturday

#24 12 years ago

Great show for buying EMs and SSs.Not a lot of DMDs in great shape to be had although you could score a "base" game for fixin up.Teekee and Lets Play Pinball will have the CQ type stuff.LOts of part vendors and flea market good for parts as well,sometimes the occasional game, usually EMs.All in all a fun time for pinheads!!I love the social aspect as I get to see/meet pinheads I haven't seen in a while or meet some new ones.Please stop by the Lets Play Pinball spot and say hi,I'll be over there helping out.Hope to see you there,Scott

#25 12 years ago
    Quoted from HELLODEADCITY:

I try to make it on Friday- less lines and better photo shots
    too bad we didn't have some type of ID like a hat or even a small sticker or pin?

I am planning on wearing a pinside shirt

#26 12 years ago
    Quoted from jackofdiamonds:

Great show for buying EMs and SSs.Not a lot of DMDs in great shape to be had although you could score a "base" game for fixin up.Teekee and Lets Play Pinball will have the CQ type stuff.LOts of part vendors and flea market good for parts as well,sometimes the occasional game, usually EMs.All in all a fun time for pinheads!!I love the social aspect as I get to see/meet pinheads I haven't seen in a while or meet some new ones.Please stop by the Lets Play Pinball spot and say hi,I'll be over there helping out.Hope to see you there,Scott

Sounds like a good time and opportunity to pick up some new pins, I'm planning on heading up there on Saturday morning then. I can offer anyone that is local to me a ride there.

Scott, you're local to me I'll be sure to stop by. You know Paul? He's in North Salem also. I stopped by his house to look at his Kingpin last week.

Thanks!

#27 12 years ago

PFFT! 3 hour drive... try 13!

#28 12 years ago

If there's a PA system, maybe we can make an announcement....

#29 12 years ago
    Quoted from pinball_customs:

You going? If so I owe you a beer for that shooter rod for hulk!

#30 12 years ago
    Quoted from pinball_customs:

= hero core !

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/allentown-2012-pinfest-show-worth-going-to and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.