Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 635 posts
  • 95 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by northvibe
  • Topic is favorited by 28 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

AF20F171-3D34-49D4-B220-776E2BBC8D49 (resized).jpeg
    20221213_213426 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20220914-174626 (resized).png
    ED082192-EA73-4274-A6B2-54BB53F3C9DA (resized).jpeg
    PXL_20220527_221635439 (resized).jpg
    PXL_20220513_003737681 (resized).jpg
    PXL_20220513_003727899 (resized).jpg
    PXL_20220513_003804780 (resized).jpg
    PXL_20220507_161625578 (resized).jpg
    BCE96AD7-0914-4F0E-B188-CF5B73939755 (resized).jpeg
    PXL_20220908_152450412 (resized).jpg
    PXL_20220908_152409744 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20220910_111538328 (resized).jpg
    86C98819-8E36-49A1-8BE0-29C573768562 (resized).jpeg
    PXL_20220908_033137549 (resized).jpg
    PXL_20220908_035857733 (resized).jpg
    There are 635 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 13.
    #301 3 years ago

My brother in law came over unexpectedly. I killed a woodford reserve double oaked and he knocked out a Canadian mist. We also shared champagne because it is my anniversary. A LOT of drinking tonight. If i typed any words incorrectly...chalk it up to that, lol.

20210318_013715 (resized).jpg20210318_013715 (resized).jpg
    #302 3 years ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

My brother in law came over unexpectedly. I killed a woodford reserve double oaked and he knocked out a Canadian mist. We also shared champagne because it is my anniversary. A LOT of drinking tonight. If i typed any words incorrectly...chalk it up to that, lol.[quoted image]

My condolences to your brother.... I have never actually drank any kerosene, but Canadian Mist is what I always imagined it would taste like...

You on the other hand have most excellent taste!

#303 3 years ago

Woodford is an excellent, affordable, easy to find bourbon.

Like Blanton’s used to be.

#304 3 years ago
    Quoted from parsonsaj:

My condolences to your brother.... I have never actually drank any kerosene, but Canadian Mist is what I always imagined it would taste like...
    You on the other hand have most excellent taste!

Thank you!

He is one of these "good old country boy" types. Kind of what most people think i am like in real life (since I am from Texas).

#305 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Woodford is an excellent, affordable, easy to find bourbon.
    Like Blanton’s used to be.

Exactly. The double oaked is excellent.

Funny thing is...the original woodford reserve is just okay for me. Nothing special. The double oaked is amazing!

#306 3 years ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

Exactly. The double oaked is excellent.
    Funny thing is...the original woodford reserve is just okay for me. Nothing special. The double oaked is amazing!

Thank you Daditude for the implicit recommendation! Went to the local liquor store today to get the double oaked and look what else I found! Haven’t seen Weller available on the shelf in a long time!

The double oaked IS amazing....

E2BA771A-16DB-4DCE-A734-A961D0796874 (resized).jpegE2BA771A-16DB-4DCE-A734-A961D0796874 (resized).jpeg
    #307 3 years ago
    Quoted from parsonsaj:

Thank you Daditude for the implicit recommendation! Went to the local liquor store today to get the double oaked and look what else I found! Haven’t seen Weller available on the shelf in a long time!
    The double oaked IS amazing....[quoted image]

To get Weller where I live. Copy and Paste from website: "This product will be distributed via lottery." I'm guessing that's how rare it is here.

#308 3 years ago
    Quoted from parsonsaj:

The double oaked IS amazing....[quoted image]

One of those things is not like the other, one of those things just doesn’t belong, an old school rhyme. Can you guess which one I like and dislike?

#309 3 years ago

I've heard these 2 are both just splendid bottles and hear a lot of you guys talking them up. 1st store i've been too that actually had both of them and i'm pretty pumped but the problem is I can only buy one. Which one of these little gems should I drop some coin on? I hate tough decisions like this... How bout a brief explanation of the tastes of each one and which you guys prefer and why. From the sounds of it there is no wrong decision on either one. I understand a single barrel carries a bit more clout and is more sought after. Oh I hate decisions so help me make a good one here guys.

20210319_091419 (resized).jpg20210319_091419 (resized).jpg
    #310 3 years ago
    Quoted from PinDeLaPin:

Oh I hate decisions so help me make a good one here guys.

I think you ought to go with the Knob Creek.
    I hear you recently finished up your last bottle.

#311 3 years ago
    Quoted from Fulltilt:

I think you ought to go with the Knob Creek.
    I hear you recently finished up your last bottle.

No Knob Creek for me I have already had that one it's those two that I was concerned with which one was better before I bought it

#312 3 years ago
    Quoted from PinDeLaPin:

No Knob Creek for me I have already had that one it's those two that I was concerned with which one was better before I bought it

To me the woodford double oak has more elements to explore. The Evan Williams SB is a very solid, easy drinker but does not have the same depth. That said the EW is a steal at the normal under 30 dollar price.

Others to consider Michters particularly the American Whiskey. My current personal favorite (off to have one now) is pikesville rye.

#313 3 years ago

Cheers! Another personal favorite .... almost any Woodinville.

861AD619-B4AD-4C76-8E1D-6C0BED5C82E4 (resized).jpeg861AD619-B4AD-4C76-8E1D-6C0BED5C82E4 (resized).jpeg
    #314 3 years ago

Damn you Pinside!

0319211633 (resized).jpg0319211633 (resized).jpg
    #315 3 years ago
    Quoted from RonSS:

Damn you Pinside!
    [quoted image]

And we have a Winner.

#316 3 years ago
    Quoted from PinDeLaPin:

I've heard these 2 are both just splendid bottles and hear a lot of you guys talking them up. 1st store i've been too that actually had both of them and i'm pretty pumped but the problem is I can only buy one. Which one of these little gems should I drop some coin on? I hate tough decisions like this... How bout a brief explanation of the tastes of each one and which you guys prefer and why. From the sounds of it there is no wrong decision on either one. I understand a single barrel carries a bit more clout and is more sought after. Oh I hate decisions so help me make a good one here guys.
    [quoted image]

Well, if you're still in the store debating , I just had a few fingers of the Woodford Double Oaked. No complaints, and a nice ride.

#317 3 years ago

Jack rocks hey that’s me hHahAhahahahahHh

DBE03E2E-E595-4E32-B43D-E87A1A3CAD6E (resized).jpegDBE03E2E-E595-4E32-B43D-E87A1A3CAD6E (resized).jpeg
    #318 3 years ago

All done but back ups await on standby

C1ECC03A-D241-4DF6-8674-13FC96F5689D (resized).jpegC1ECC03A-D241-4DF6-8674-13FC96F5689D (resized).jpeg
    #319 3 years ago

Celebrating new Game in line up
    We are PINBALL WASTED!!!!

F332FE16-DEA3-452F-B5BB-4220FA468416 (resized).jpegF332FE16-DEA3-452F-B5BB-4220FA468416 (resized).jpeg
    #320 3 years ago
    Quoted from lazySUNBATHER:

Celebrating new Game in line up
    We are PINBALL WASTED!!!!
    [quoted image]

While I’m not a huge Noah’s Mill guy, those two games in the pic....delicious. Congrats-DeadPool is awesome.

#321 3 years ago

So I pulled the trigger on the Woodford yesterday. Went back and forth between it and the Evan Williams single barrel. You guys really nailed it on this one it's very very good and complex. I got into it pretty good last night and had 3 solid pours. Had to put it away though and save some drinks for right now Sure can't wait to go back and try the other bottle now. Although I am thinking bout getting into the rye scene since i"ve seen some posts about that as well. I've seen some of you really praising that old overholt stuff and I may give that shot. Some of you have said it is really underrated and a fantastic pour which is what i'm looking for.

20210320_174539 (resized).jpg20210320_174539 (resized).jpg
    #322 3 years ago
    AC28B585-D020-4DB9-810F-B17E5B5573E5 (resized).jpegAC28B585-D020-4DB9-810F-B17E5B5573E5 (resized).jpeg
    #323 3 years ago
    #324 3 years ago

D638B330-56F7-4706-9CE5-29F34BEF8FBD (resized).jpegD638B330-56F7-4706-9CE5-29F34BEF8FBD (resized).jpeg

I'm not a fan either https://www.breakingbourbon.com/review/old-overholt-rye

#325 3 years ago

After that Kentucky Owl Rye batch 4, I need some budget ryes.

#326 3 years ago

Woodinville tonight. Cheers!

As to ryes I find you need to spend a decent amount if you want to drink them neat. Old Overholt is great as a mixer but only OK neat... a little better on the rocks. But everyone’s tastes vary.

326590D3-0332-461B-A931-85E17DA52947 (resized).jpeg326590D3-0332-461B-A931-85E17DA52947 (resized).jpeg
    #327 3 years ago
    Quoted from ATLPinGuy:

Woodinville tonight. Cheers!
    As to ryes I find you need to spend a decent amount if you want to drink them neat. Old Overholt is great as a mixer but only OK neat... a little better on the rocks. But everyone’s tastes vary.
    [quoted image]

I forgot to mention... Woodinville Rye at 40 bucks approx is outstanding. I bought it after watching a review video on the Whiskey Vault. They were spot on based on my taste buds.

#328 3 years ago
    Quoted from Jackontherocks:

All done but back ups await on standby
    [quoted image]

I need to find one of these JD single barrels... they seem to have quite the following.

#329 3 years ago

Old Overholt is a sorry excuse for a rye. It is thin, watery, underproofed, and has few if any redeeming qualities except for price. Ryes should be either spicy or dill, not flat and milquetoast. It does not even make a passable Manhattan.

Hard pass.

#330 3 years ago
    Quoted from DBLM:

Old Overholt is a sorry excuse for a rye. It is thin, watery, underproofed, and has few if any redeeming qualities except for price. Ryes should be either spicy or dill, not flat and milquetoast. It does not even make a passable Manhattan.
    Hard pass.

Hit it with a double and some absinthe to make a Sazerac.
    But then, any rye can do that.
    Nothing special in the Old Overholt arena except it's price.

#331 3 years ago
    Quoted from Fulltilt:

Hit it with a double and some absinthe to make a Sazerac.
    But then, any rye can do that.
    Nothing special in the Old Overholt arena except it's price.

If you want a decent budget rye, look at Buleit, Rittenhouse, or Old Forester. I wouldn’t sip on any of them neat, but at least they will make a serviceable cocktail.

Now I’d you are willing to spend more, you can get into a lot of fun with rye.

#332 3 years ago
    Quoted from DBLM:

If you want a decent budget rye, look at Buleit, Rittenhouse, or Old Forester. I wouldn’t sip on any of them neat, but at least they will make a serviceable cocktail.
    Now I’d you are willing to spend more, you can get into a lot of fun with rye.

Also always heard you guys talking anout whistlepig ryes as being really good. I knkw my grocery store carries a 6yr whistlepig and it is only like $43 which seems like the way to go.

#333 3 years ago
    Quoted from PinDeLaPin:

Also always heard you guys talking anout whistlepig ryes as being really good. I knkw my grocery store carries a 6yr whistlepig and it is only like $43 which seems like the way to go.

Piggyback was distilled to be a mixing rye. It is pretty darn good by itself, but is fantastic in a Manhattan or an Old Fashion. This is what I prefer for rye cocktails. If you do any smoked cocktails it really picks up the smoked flavor nicely.

#334 3 years ago
    Quoted from PinDeLaPin:

I have never tried Whistlepig. I am not a fan of Canadian Ryes and they source their distillate from Canada. It probably does not make a difference but there are enough excellent Kentucky ryes that I have not given any of the WP a try. That and they same to be a bit over priced.

#335 3 years ago
    Quoted from ATLPinGuy:

I have never tried Whistlepig. I am not a fan of Canadian Ryes and they source their distillate from Canada. It probably does not make a difference but there are enough excellent Kentucky ryes that I have not given any of the WP a try. That and they same to be a bit over priced.

Give Whistle Pig a try. Most of their distillate is Canadian, but a fair amount comes from MGP in Indiana, which is the source for most of the ryes on the market today. Only a few ryes are actually distilled in Kentucky, due to the climate. My home state of Maryland was a big producer of ryes, and is beginning to turn out ryes again. To get started though, they are using MGP while their distillate matures. Should have some local MD ryes this summer/fall.

As for price, that is always subjective, but I can definitely tell a difference between bottom shelf ryes, good pours in the $50 range, and then your higher end ryes. They tend to have a higher level of complexity in their flavors compared to others. Due to the higher production costs of ryes, the better stuff does tend to be higher.

#336 3 years ago
    Quoted from ATLPinGuy:

You should maybe give them a try. The lower WPs are pretty much just good ol' ryes. As DBLM said, excellent for mixing. I've not had a bad one.
    The upper end including the 12 year and the Boss Hogs are fantastic. If you can find a Boss Hog III, it'll rock your rye world.

#337 3 years ago
    Quoted from Fulltilt:

You should maybe give them a try. The lower WPs are pretty much just good ol' ryes. As DBLM said, excellent for mixing. I've not had a bad one.
    The upper end including the 12 year and the Boss Hogs are fantastic. If you can find a Boss Hog III, it'll rock your rye world.

I might know where a Boss Hog III exists...

#338 3 years ago

My weekend find. After seeing Eagle Rare land 30 miles away I flew to ABC store. I checked website later that night and all sold out (12) in the state of Va.

20210321_145917-1 (resized).jpg20210321_145917-1 (resized).jpg
    #339 3 years ago

I should be very clear about old overholt: it is not an award winning rye by any means, but at 19 bucks, with the nostalgia and stories behind it...it stays stocked in my bar. It is definitely light for a rye. I have never tried the bonded, but I would love to.

It is under proofed, but the elements are all there...they just aren't pronounced enough and are not lasting. Maybe the bonded has fixed that issue?
    I will get back to you on it.

#340 3 years ago

Does Old Overholt 114 address these thin/underproofed issues? I picked up a bottle for $30, but have yet to crack it open.

#341 3 years ago
    Quoted from SirScott:

Does Old Overholt 114 address these thin/underproofed issues? I picked up a bottle for $30, but have yet to crack it open.

I would be very interested as well if anyone could give a review/insight.

#342 3 years ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

I would be very interested as well if anyone could give a review/insight.

Have tried both. Don't like either. This is coming from a big Beam fan as well. They use a barely rye mash bill which at the end of the day just does not have enough rye notes for me compared to the MGP recipes which are 95% rye or WP which is a 100%. The Bonded is a little better, but nothing interesting.

Here's a good article about the history of Old Overholt. https://www.whiskyadvocate.com/true-story-old-overholt-rye/#:~:text=Once%20a%20rye-heavy%2C%20100-proof%2C%20bottled-in-bond%20dynamo%2C%20Old%20Overholt,recent%20years%2C%20Old%20Overholt%20is%20actually%20doing%20well.

#343 3 years ago
    Quoted from DBLM:

Have tried both. Don't like either. This is coming from a big Beam fan as well. They use a barely rye mash bill which at the end of the day just does not have enough rye notes for me compared to the MGP recipes which are 95% rye or WP which is a 100%. The Bonded is a little better, but nothing interesting.
    Here's a good article about the history of Old Overholt. https://www.whiskyadvocate.com/true-story-old-overholt-rye/#:~:text=Once%20a%20rye-heavy%2C%20100-proof%2C%20bottled-in-bond%20dynamo%2C%20Old%20Overholt,recent%20years%2C%20Old%20Overholt%20is%20actually%20doing%20well.

Rittenhouse (Heaven Hill) is a much better budget rye. Little brother to Pikesville.

#344 3 years ago

You are not seeing double (or maybe you are at this time of night, lol), this glass is canted to the side!

PXL_20210326_032033867 (resized).jpgPXL_20210326_032033867 (resized).jpg
    #345 3 years ago

Wild turkey rare breed barrel proof is up next.

PXL_20210326_041559713 (resized).jpgPXL_20210326_041559713 (resized).jpg
    #346 3 years ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

Wild turkey rare breed barrel proof is up next.[quoted image]

Rare breed once I let it sit for awhile (opens up) is outstanding. Basil H makes a great old fashioned but not my favorite neat... some good notes but not the entire “orchestra” like Rare Breed!

#347 3 years ago

Peerless up next:

PXL_20210326_051106874 (resized).jpgPXL_20210326_051106874 (resized).jpg
    #348 3 years ago
    Quoted from RonSS:

Damn you Pinside!
    [quoted image]

How's the double oaked?

#349 3 years ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

How's the double oaked?

Better than peerless

#350 3 years ago

I'm liking it quite a bit. Lots of character.

I finished off my New Riff first. It was calming, had some flavor, overall a little nonmemorable, but not offensive.

Then I had a glass of the 2oak. Much more depth, body, and it didn't seem to bland out sip after sip.

Im fairly new to this game, so take my opinions with a grain of salt.

There are 635 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 13.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/all-whiskey-whisky-welcome/page/7?hl=lazysunbather and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.