Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 635 posts
  • 95 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by northvibe
  • Topic is favorited by 28 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

AF20F171-3D34-49D4-B220-776E2BBC8D49 (resized).jpeg
    20221213_213426 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20220914-174626 (resized).png
    ED082192-EA73-4274-A6B2-54BB53F3C9DA (resized).jpeg
    PXL_20220527_221635439 (resized).jpg
    PXL_20220513_003737681 (resized).jpg
    PXL_20220513_003727899 (resized).jpg
    PXL_20220513_003804780 (resized).jpg
    PXL_20220507_161625578 (resized).jpg
    BCE96AD7-0914-4F0E-B188-CF5B73939755 (resized).jpeg
    PXL_20220908_152450412 (resized).jpg
    PXL_20220908_152409744 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20220910_111538328 (resized).jpg
    86C98819-8E36-49A1-8BE0-29C573768562 (resized).jpeg
    PXL_20220908_033137549 (resized).jpg
    PXL_20220908_035857733 (resized).jpg

There are 635 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 13.
    #1 3 years ago

Please share all whisky, whiskey, bourbon, scotch, rye, etc...knowledge, pics, stories, suggestions, anecdotes, jokes, memes, and more.

If you like brown liquor...this is your spot.

Sláinte

#3 3 years ago

I am comparing a couple of Old Forester's tonight:

20210119_232102~2 (resized).jpg20210119_232102~2 (resized).jpg
    #4 3 years ago

Any cinnamon whiskey, with a splash of hot apple cider is fine by me

#5 3 years ago
    Quoted from Hayfarmer:

Any cinnamon whiskey, with a splash of hot apple cider is fine by me

Ever tried Laird's applejack?

#8 3 years ago

I like my scotch like I like my pinball machines - cheap, and under glass.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #9 3 years ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

Ever tried Laird's applejack?

No, but I will be!

#10 3 years ago
    Quoted from Deaconblooze:

I like my scotch like I like my pinball machines - cheap, and under glass.[quoted image]

I've heard that it tastes like Dewars. Is there any truth to that?

I would also be curious if you have tried any of their age statement scotches? I have seen a 12, 20, and 22 year at my local costco...but I've heard there is a 23 year as well.

I don't drink much blended scotch, but for a cheaper priced option I think famous grouse stands up well.

#11 3 years ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

I've heard that it tastes like Dewars. Is there any truth to that?
    I would also be curious if you have tried any of their age statement scotches? I have seen a 12, 20, and 22 year at my local costco...but I've heard there is a 23 year as well.
    I don't drink much blended scotch, but for a cheaper priced option I think famous grouse stands up well.

It's been a while since I've had Dewars, but that seems like a fair comparison. I think costco just private labels all of their products, so it's entirely possible that it is actually Dewars.. Some claim that they have their own 'recipe' for their products, but I don't buy it, it just doesn't seem cost effective to have any sort of deviation from the standard product's recipe.

I've had their 12 year, and that's pretty great. I appreciate that it comes in a 1.75..

Famous Grouse is a good one.

I went on a cruise and they had a $11 drink credit on everything. I figured that all the good drinks would be $12, and therefore not comped at all. Nope, if you got something that was $12, you paid the net $1. It allowed me to get crazy with some scotches I never would have tried otherwise. I think the highest dollar stuff they had was Walker Blue. Of all of them, my favorite was the Macallan Select Oak.

#12 3 years ago

In honor of Inauguration Day here’s to the next President and his administration hoping the best for all of us Americans....a glass of our first presidents original Rye Whiskey recipe. George Washington’s original distillery at his Mount Vernon home in Virginia on the shores of the Potomac River was rebuilt for use and an original recipe they found in a 1798 ledger consisting of 60% rye, 35% corn, and 5% malted barley is distilled and bottled there. They age a premium bottle 4 years and the straight rye bottle I have was aged 2 years, but in George’s time it appears it was not aged and went right into a barrel and was sent to the taverns for immediate consumption. You can also grab an un-aged bottle as well. I’ve had better ryes for less money but this is good so I’ll be picking another one up because the proceeds help keep Mount Vernon going.

9CE6CB66-637C-4FC0-A065-BEF13B03315C (resized).jpeg9CE6CB66-637C-4FC0-A065-BEF13B03315C (resized).jpeg
    #13 3 years ago

Break glass, I mean use key for emergency only.

20190427_191530-1 (resized).jpg20190427_191530-1 (resized).jpg
    #14 3 years ago

Nothing like a mint julep using Makers Mark Bourbon.

And watching monster movies.

LTG : )

#16 3 years ago

I broke my scotch glass when I was.... sobbbeer.. yeah, that's it.. sober.. Does anyone have a Glencairn glass that fits well into a pingulp? I want to grab one of those, but would prefer not to have to dig it out of a pingulp with my thumb and index finger, ya know?

#17 3 years ago

I hope this thread continues as I’m pivoting in my elder years to whisky with a side of water .I like the slow sipping compared to beer/wine/vodka lmao .My love has always been SoCo (I know I know) but I havnt really tried anything else .If SoCo is my thing what’s the next step up ?

#18 3 years ago
    Quoted from Kkoss24:

I hope this thread continues as I’m pivoting in my elder years to whisky with a side of water .I like the slow sipping compared to beer/wine/vodka lmao .My love has always been SoCo (I know I know) but I havnt really tried anything else .If SoCo is my thing what’s the next step up ?

It will be a tough transition, but you will likely want to go with sweet whiskies/bourbons on the rocks. I'm not sure how you take it...but a wheated bourbon (makers 46) on the rocks would be a good option. Old grand-dad, old forester, or evan Williams are also nice choices.

Ultimately, you should drink what you like. If you love soco...why not stick with it?

#19 3 years ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

It will be a tough transition, but you will likely want to go with sweet whiskies/bourbons on the rocks. I'm not sure how you take it...but a wheated bourbon (makers 46) on the rocks would be a good option. Old grand-dad, old forester, or evan Williams are also nice choices.
    Ultimately, you should drink what you like. If you love soco...why not stick with it?

I love SoCo but am looking for something less sweet .I’m going to take your word and grab a bottle of Makers 46 .Reguardless I like the sip style way better than chugging .I lost both parents 9 months apart last year and I gained 41 lbs .I’ve since lost 20 back in the gym w my 2 boys .I need to get back to my happy weight .

#20 3 years ago
    Quoted from Kkoss24:

I love SoCo but am looking for something less sweet .I’m going to take your word and grab a bottle of Makers 46 .Reguardless I like the sip style way better than chugging .I lost both parents 9 months apart last year and I gained 41 lbs .I’ve since lost 20 back in the gym w my 2 boys .I need to get back to my happy weight .

I'm sorry to hear about your parents. I hope you are okay.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but your eating and drinking certainly has far more to do with weight gain/loss than exercise. I have recently lost 95 lbs, so I am pretty familiar with your plight. I had to give up drinking for a while. It was extremely difficult. I definitely have to monitor my consumption more now.

As far as options go...pretty much everything is less sweet than soco, so that shouldn't be a problem. You may want to look into the smaller/travel size bottles to help you find what is good for you instead of just committing to a full bottle. If you have a store stocked with these, try to look for makers 46, makers, evan Williams, old grand-dad, weller, old forester, stranahans, pinhook, and buffalo trace.

#21 3 years ago
    Quoted from Kkoss24:

I lost both parents 9 months apart last year

A terrible loss. I'm sorry.

LTG : (

#22 3 years ago

I love scotch

9671695F-0811-44D8-8083-83A29DBD89D1 (resized).jpeg9671695F-0811-44D8-8083-83A29DBD89D1 (resized).jpegA91A762B-9BF8-4EB3-85BA-F3E627127CD7 (resized).jpegA91A762B-9BF8-4EB3-85BA-F3E627127CD7 (resized).jpeg
    #23 3 years ago
    Quoted from Rillo:

I love scotch
    [quoted image][quoted image]

I like a scotch that's old enough to order it's own scotch.

#24 3 years ago
    Quoted from Rillo:

I love scotch
    [quoted image][quoted image]

Screenshot_20210121-002042~2 (resized).pngScreenshot_20210121-002042~2 (resized).png
    #25 3 years ago
    Quoted from Deaconblooze:

I like a scotch that's old enough to order it's own scotch.

You got it!!!

#26 3 years ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

I'm sorry to hear about your parents. I hope you are okay.
    I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but your eating and drinking certainly has far more to do with weight gain/loss than exercise. I have recently lost 95 lbs, so I am pretty familiar with your plight. I had to give up drinking for a while. It was extremely difficult. I definitely have to monitor my consumption more now.
    As far as options go...pretty much everything is less sweet than soco, so that shouldn't be a problem. You may want to look into the smaller/travel size bottles to help you find what is good for you instead of just committing to a full bottle. If you have a store stocked with these, try to look for makers 46, makers, evan Williams, old grand-dad, weller, old forester, stranahans, pinhook, and buffalo trace.

Thanks a bunch .For sure it was too much food and liquor .The other thing was I worked a swing shift (all 3 shifts in a week sometimes ) for 14 years .I’m finally on a day shift it’s working out great

#27 3 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

A terrible loss. I'm sorry.
    LTG : (

Thanks Lloyd .2020 can go pound it !

#28 3 years ago
    Quoted from Kkoss24:

Thanks a bunch .For sure it was too much food and liquor .The other thing was I worked a swing shift (all 3 shifts in a week sometimes ) for 14 years .I’m finally on a day shift it’s working out great

I was eating a salad and drinking a beer the other day. My wife looked at me like I was nuts and made a comment. I told her that at my age you have to pick and choose your calories carefully, lol.
    My 13 year old son, however, can eat like a horse...and doesn't gain an ounce.

#29 3 years ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

I was eating a salad and drinking a beer the other day. My wife looked at me like I was nuts and made a comment. I told her that at my age you have to pick and choose your calories carefully, lol.
    My 13 year old son, however, can eat like a horse...and doesn't gain an ounce.

Oh the good old days .Eat and drink like a pirate and never gain weight .Lmao oh well finding a balance isn’t the end of the world I guess .

#30 3 years ago

Ah whisky and pinball my 2 favourite things! I'm really into scotch and Japanese whisky at the mo and I've built up a nice little collection. My man cave is basically both a whisky bar and a pinball haven.

20200404_144448 (resized).jpg20200404_144448 (resized).jpg
    20200404_144221 (resized).jpg20200404_144221 (resized).jpg
    20200404_144028 (resized).jpg20200404_144028 (resized).jpg
    20210120_193835 (resized).jpg20210120_193835 (resized).jpg

#31 3 years ago
    Quoted from Ceemunkey:

Ah whisky and pinball my 2 favourite things! I'm really into scotch and Japanese whisky at the mo and I've built up a nice little collection. My man cave is basically both a whisky bar and a pinball haven.
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]

Whoa.

#32 3 years ago

Back in the mix

E67C2E01-614B-4B42-9FF5-48531BB2D154 (resized).jpegE67C2E01-614B-4B42-9FF5-48531BB2D154 (resized).jpeg
    #33 3 years ago

Tonights choice..

20210121_235230 (resized).jpg20210121_235230 (resized).jpg
    #34 3 years ago

I am convinced this is the best Jack Daniels whiskey ever made:

20210121_232009 (resized).jpg20210121_232009 (resized).jpg
    #35 3 years ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

I am convinced this is the best Jack Daniels whiskey ever made:
    [quoted image]

I love it too, so different and tasteful

D233473A-8BA6-4A84-8718-B3C769526ECB (resized).jpegD233473A-8BA6-4A84-8718-B3C769526ECB (resized).jpeg
    #36 3 years ago
    Quoted from Jackontherocks:

Back in the mix
    [quoted image]

I’m only able to find Peerless Rye in my area which is fantastic so I’m keeping an eye out for the small batch during my travels as I’m sure it’s very good based on all the thumbs up you guys have given it.

#37 3 years ago
    Quoted from Ceemunkey:

[quoted image]
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]

Wow, very nice man cave...I’m a EM pinball guy so never played those games you have but I do have a Japanese Whisky that I like and will knock back a few glasses tonight after work. It’s KAIYo Cask Strength which I like a lot so I should start exploring other Japanese Whisky.

#38 3 years ago

Just getting into appreciating the whiskeys/whiskys by having a tasting with friends. The Journeyman's were my favs.

Tasting (resized).JPGTasting (resized).JPG

On a different day tried my hand at an Old Fashion...that was nice. Sorry to offend any neat drinkers!

Old Fashion (resized).JPGOld Fashion (resized).JPG

#39 3 years ago
    Quoted from tuffano:

I’m only able to find Peerless Rye in my area which is fantastic so I’m keeping an eye out for the small batch during my travels as I’m sure it’s very good based on all the thumbs up you guys have given it.

Quoted from tuffano:

Wow, very nice man cave...I’m a EM pinball guy so never played those games you have but I do have a Japanese Whisky that I like and will knock back a few glasses tonight after work. It’s KAIYo Cask Strength which I like a lot so I should start exploring other Japanese Whisky.

Have you tried Russells 6 year rye? It is definitely worth getting. I also always keep old overholt on hand in my home bar as well. It is Americas oldest rye, from 1810. It was Doc Hollidays daily drinker. Seriously.

I'm very curious about just owning EMs. What is your all-time favorite?

#40 3 years ago
    Quoted from emsrph:

Just getting into appreciating the whiskeys/whiskys by having a tasting with friends. The Journeyman's were my favs.
    [quoted image]
    On a different day tried my hand at an Old Fashion...that was nice. Sorry to offend any neat drinkers!
    [quoted image]

I like an old fashion or manhattan every now and again. It's a great way to change things up.

#41 3 years ago

Thanks Daditude, I haven’t had any of those ryes yet and looking at the county ABS site I live in I do see both available so I’ll have to give them a shot.

I’ve actually narrowed my collection down to just 5 EM games that I really enjoy playing and they’re Jet Spin, Target Alpha, and Jacks Open which are all Gottlieb’s. Then I have a couple of EM Williams Pitch and Bats from the 50/60’s.

#42 3 years ago

Any recommendations for Smokey bourbon?

#43 3 years ago
    Quoted from Ceemunkey:

[quoted image]
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]

Great shelf. Any Ohishi in there?

#44 3 years ago

Tullamore Dew 12 is awesome, super smooth. It’s the #2 Irish whiskey behind Jameson, I believe.

I never had it until a random guy at the liquor store told me to try it. One of my life rules is to always buy recommended liquors. Good purchase!
    image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

#45 3 years ago
    Quoted from Madmax541:

Any recommendations for Smokey bourbon?

Corsair triple smoked American single malt is VERY smoky.

High west is pretty smoky too. Not my cup of tea, however.

#46 3 years ago
    Quoted from emsrph:

[quoted image]
    [quoted image]

Old fashioneds in WI are their own thing. Made with brandy, and either sour or sweet. If I'm out, I'll order them press. It's a great drink to throw back as you're hanging out at a supper club (another pretty unique to WI thing), but personally I prefer the traditional version if I'm making them at home.

#47 3 years ago
    Quoted from Mudflaps:

Tullamore Dew 12 is awesome, super smooth. It’s the #2 Irish whiskey behind Jameson, I believe.
    I never had it until a random guy at the liquor store told me to try it. One of my life rules is to always buy recommended liquors. Good purchase!
    [quoted image]

Twenty years ago I was in a random pub in Dublin. It was mid-afternoon, and the place was empty except for my wife and I. I asked the bartender for the best whiskey he had. He set a glass of Midleton in front of me. It's been one of my favorites ever since.

Irish (resized).jpgIrish (resized).jpg

#48 3 years ago

I hope sunday gives me a reason to crack this open

20210122_160857 (resized).jpg20210122_160857 (resized).jpg
    #49 3 years ago
    Quoted from zombywoof:

Twenty years ago I was in a random pub in Dublin. It was mid-afternoon, and the place was empty except for my wife and I. I asked the bartender for the best whiskey he had. He set a glass of Midleton in front of me. It's been one of my favorites ever since.
    [quoted image]

I’ll have to give it a try

#50 3 years ago

I've been working through the Irish whiskeys at my local state store.
    Not shown is Knappogue Castle, Bushmills Red Bush, Bushmills Distillery Reserve 12 year, and Bushmills 21.

DSCN8037 (resized).JPGDSCN8037 (resized).JPG
    There are 635 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 13.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/all-whiskey-whisky-welcome and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.